• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If they were to do a sequel with
big boss,
who would voice him? Go the MGS3 route and get
Hayter
to do it, or the new guy?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Doc Evils said:
I've been thinking of getting one with the weak dollar and all, but £50 for a charging stand is a lot.:/

It sure is a lot! The regular ones go for about $15 USD!

tha_con said:
I'd love to see some pre-Snake Eater saga for Naked Snake, possibly set in Korea during his missions with The Boss.

It was awesome to see how MGS4 played out in the
Frog sequence in Act 1
and it would be awesome to see more 'team work' in a Metal Gear game during certain sequences, etc. I would love to see some of that between Naked Snake and The Boss, using lots and lots of CQC.

That actually sounds pretty cool. Sadly, i dont think a pre Snake Eater game will happen, otherwise it couldnt add adding to the series's lore. After killing her so dramaticly, i dont think Kojima would bring her back anyway. I was thinking it could be set inbetween the time he created of foxhound and when he broke away from Zero. Seeing as how they were best friends, there could be alot of drama there.

Guys I'm confused.

Was Big Boss in the same body as he was in MGS3, or was that pieces of Solidus and Liquid. I wasn't sure if he was talking about the fake body that EVA had, or the body he was in.

-Rogue5-

tha_con said:
I'd love to see some pre-Snake Eater saga for Naked Snake, possibly set in Korea during his missions with The Boss.

Frog sequence in Act 1
and it would be awesome to see more 'team work' in a Metal Gear game during certain sequences, etc. I would love to see some of that between Naked Snake and The Boss, using lots and lots of CQC.

I think Kojima/Payton said something recently about exploring The Boss more in a new game... At this point, there are so many peripheral characters that there are plenty of stories to tell.
The Boss, Big Boss, Ocelot, MG1 & 2 remakes, Raiden, Otacon... hell, even Eva or Liquid in their Shadow Moses preparations
. They probably won't be stealth missions though and I'd be concerned that they'd utilmately waterdown the universe/franchise... That said, wasn't Myerl in Policenauts, which was a completely different type of game? So who's to say that they couldn't completely branch off from Metal Gear using the same characters.

Jeff-DSA

Just finished it up last night and, as expected, the final act was incredible. I'll chime back in later with some story thoughts, but man, what a game. Easily my GOTY so far.

tha_con said:

Frog sequence in Act 1

Team work and mgs don't really go together though. The purpose of foxhound (i think...) was to do solo sneaking missions. it'd be cool, but it would make mgs a different game if it focused on teamwork

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Gamer @ Heart said:
Has there been any word on wether the documentary on the LE will become available online or .... already is from "various sources"?

AFAIK, only way to get it right now is by getting the Limited Edition of the game.

I wouldn't mind if they did something like "Meryl Gear Solid". I like Meryl's character a lot, always have since MGS1. Remaking MG1 and MG2 would be super cool. I DON'T want any PRE-MG era games made though. That was one of my big turn-offs for "Snake Eater".

tha_con

Banned
bdizzle said:
Team work and mgs don't really go together though. The purpose of foxhound (i think...) was to do solo sneaking missions. it'd be cool, but it would make mgs a different game if it focused on teamwork

I'm not saying to focus on team work, just that it would be neat to see more sequences with team work.

Just area's where they meet up, etc. Think
MGS3 and Eva encounters, instead of a cutscene, it's a gameplay sequence with lots of enemies and team work. Picture the Boss telling you to flank left, while she distracts the enemies, and you run around and start taking out enemies w/CQC from behind, and they are completely unaware.

Could be cool...right?

Ploid 3.0

After looking at those MGS3 codecs about the reason the cobra unit explode after dying. I guess that pretty much confirm that the reason
The Frogs explode/burn up within their suits is the same
. Someone already mentioned this though.

AntMurda

Does anyone have any save files I can download for the game? I just want all the face camos and IPOD music:)

I already beat the game.

tha_con

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
After looking at those MGS3 codecs about the reason the cobra unit explode after dying. I guess that pretty much confirm that the reason
The Frogs explode/burn up within their suits is the same
. Someone already mentioned this though.

What was the reason again? I don't really remember, and I can't view the vids at work.

SRG01

tha_con said:
What was the reason again? I don't really remember, and I can't view the vids at work.

The Cobra unit carries microexplosives within them, and activate when they die so they can't be captured by the enemy.

Oh, and are any more people here interested in MGO? We had a huge crowd back for the beta, but it doesn't seem like many people are interested this time around. :(

I feel that I need to play this as it's clearly a milestone within the medium.

Should be arriving tomorrow so I'll post some early impressions.

Let me state that I will be playing with a degree of scepticism, so my pre-disposition will either be validated or ripped to pieces.

Owensboro

TTP said:
The neck is...

http://i29.tinypic.com/2q84oz6.jpg

But rather...

http://i26.tinypic.com/33wumf5.jpg

So all u have to do is simply bring them down by shooting at their legs and then hit the neck "above" them.

I also realized u CAN change Codec freq manually. Up and down on the d-pad.

Oh no way, I kept trying to find their "neck" and could never get it. Looking at that pic you posted as reference, I would always go to the completel OPPOSITE side of a downed one and shoot at the base of the head (where it meets the hips/shoulders of the thing). In the end I would always just shoot that little circular dome on top of their head. I guess I was just getting lucky stray bullets to take them down. Thanks man, I'm gonna try this when I get home tonight.

Bizzyb

Banned
Blu_LED said:
Guys I'm confused.

Was Big Boss in the same body as he was in MGS3, or was that pieces of Solidus and Liquid. I wasn't sure if he was talking about the fake body that EVA had, or the body he was in.

yes, apparently he was being held against his will in an induced state of comatose after the Patriots recovered and repaired his body from Zanzibarland. They then led the world to believe he was dead, or rather in the state that EVA had captured him. EVA too was clueless that the real BB was still alive and in relatively good health. The only ones who knew were the Patriots. Where BB was being held or how he found Snake, I have no idea, although I guess he figured Snake would visit is "Grave" once the Patriots were defeated allowing him to escape.

What I want to know is Why Ocelot would...
Kill his fellow Patriot (Donald Anderson aka Sigint) during a torture session at Shadow Mosses. I mean if he and Signit were in on the whole thing did he really have to kill Sigint??

SMZC

At this point in time, I don't want them to continue any of the already established characters' storylines. To me, MGS4 has proved that the storyline created by Kojima had become a mess, and that there is no real way to continue it without having silly plot holes/explanations (read: MGS4's storyline), nor is it possible to create an actually compelling storyline (because, after all, every important aspect of the The Boss-Big Boss-Solid Snake storyline has already been told, and we sure as hell don't need any more storylines like Portable Ops').

Plot holes and inconsistencies have existed in Kojima's storylines since MGS1, which retconned the MSX games in a lot of ways. But that was fine, because, in a way, MGS1 was like a reboot. MGS2 was a different kind of storyline that made us view MGS1's in a different way, but you could still make sense out of the storyline. And MGS3 was a prequel, so it didn't really had any problems to begin with, unless tiny little details such as how Big Boss' lost his eye bother you.

The problem started with Portable Ops. The silly twists that completely change how previous games are viewed, the plot holes... And that was only the beginning, because MGS4 went even further. I don't know how much of this is Kojima's own fault for not having planned the full storyline since the beginning (as he himself admits) or if it was his desire to please fans by answering everything. The thing is, to me, the series' storyline became a mess since Portable Ops, and I think that the only way for the series to go back to being awesome is to start from scratch with completely new characters and storylines (the gameplay can remain the same as MGS4, which was fantastic). That way, Kojima (or whoever directs the series from now on) can finally go back to the days of MGS1-MGS2-MGS3 and create not what the fans want, but the game he wants to create. I'll be very disappointed if MGS5 ends up being another tale of Big Boss' life, or a WWII game with The Boss as the lead character.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to get that out of my chest.

Dyno

SRG01 said:
Oh, and are any more people here interested in MGO? We had a huge crowd back for the beta, but it doesn't seem like many people are interested this time around. :(

I certainly am. Last I heard the clans were filled.

hirokazu

TTP said:
I noticed that too, but is there any secret codec frequencies that you can call by doing that? I wrote down some of the frequencies I got during the game,
like Meryl, Drebin and Raiden
, but I haven't tested them to see if there is any reply if I tried calling them manually. It's all pointless if there's no secret frequencies anyway.

I'm now in the room
with the conveyor belts and patrolling Gekkos and those annoying small things at Shadow Moses
for my No Alert/No Kill run. Tonight's session has been pretty smooth, almost no restarts from the beginning of Act 3 until the
Crying Wolf
battle, though I've restarted the current room twice now. The end is almost in sight!

tha_con

Banned
I honestly wouldn't be against them exploring some lore of Johnny after MGS4.

I can already picture Kojima's vision...

Instead of a stress meter, or a stamina meter, you have a "Bowel Meter" and you must control it with doses of Pepto or some other treatment for his IBS. If your meter gets too low, you give off a terrible odor that will alert enemies of your position, and your stomach will also make noises.

The next level of sneaking, obviously.

jett

D-Member
The codec is kinda useless this time around for "funny stuff". Rose is as worthless as she was in MGS2, and Otacton is well...Otacon. Really sucks you can't call your other "friends".

BTW, how do you get passwords for the EXTRAS menu? And is there anything in the Hideo 1/2 channels during the intro? :p

besada

Banned
TTP said:
So all u have to do is simply bring them down by shooting at their legs and then hit the neck "above" them.

Yeah, on my second run through the Gekkos were two-shot kills every time. Going through the market was an entirely different experience.

hirokazu

Johnny's much less fun when he's not a
joke character
:( I hate what they've done to him post Act 3. And the whole cheesy
Meryl and Johnny
thing, ugh. Probably one of the worst things in the game.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
hirokazu said:
joke character
Meryl and Johnny

Lies. LIAR.

jett

D-Member
hirokazu said:
joke character
Meryl and Johnny

When Drebin showed up full speed during the wedding I swear I yelled out loud RUN THEM OVER, RUN THEM OVER!
. I can't be the only one. It's the worst possible enidng Kojima could've conceived for this game.

Bizzyb

Banned
SMZC, what about Portable Ops story was a mess??

It explained how
BB got the funds and resources needed for Outer Heaven, how he became a member of the Patriots, how Para-medic, EVA and Sigint were involved in this as well, also how Ocelot Betrayed the CIA for the Patriots and it even explained How BB knew Frank Jaguer and why he had loyalties to BB during the Zanzibarland Incident

I mean considering all of this, despite how outlandish some it may be, it is still a viable explanation of such events

hirokazu

TheOddOne said:
Voice of God: Hideo Kojima :lol :lol :lol
Yeah, I'm curious, does his voice even appear in the game, or did they just chuck that in for good measure?

It would be the best thing ever if you can hear him say "Did you rike it?" somewhere.

tha_con

Banned
hirokazu said:
joke character
Meryl and Johnny

I thought it was kind of cool for him to at least flesh him out a little.

Teh only thing that I thought came out of the post
Act 3 scenes was that Johnny was a great soldier.

And he's a perv.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
hirokazu said:
Yeah, I'm curious, does his voice even appear in the game, or did they just chuck that in for good measure?

It would be the best thing ever if you can hear him say "Did you rike it?" somewhere.

If you kill too many people, a voice says something like, 'You enjoy killing, don't you?' or whatever, and then Snake pukes. That's his voice, I think.

tha_con

Banned
hirokazu said:

He's the voice that reclaims Psycho Mantis during Act 5.

Kagari said:
If you kill too many people, a voice says something like, 'You enjoy killing, don't you?' or whatever, and then Snake pukes. That's his voice, I think.

That's the voice of Liquid Snake, it's a 'flash back' from MGS1, when Liquid and Solid are on top of Rex.

hirokazu

Bizzyb said:

It explained how
B got the money and funds for Outer Heaven, how he became a member of the Patriots, how Para-medic, EVA and Sigint were involved in this as well, also how Ocelot Betrayed the CIA for the Patriots and it even explained How BB knew Frank Jaguer

I mean considering all of this, despite how outlandish some it may be, it is still a viable explanation of such events
Somebody link me to a site with all the cutscenes and dialog stuff from Portable Ops. I gave the game several chances, but in the end, I just thought "Screw this, this game sucks." Metal Gear Acid is way more suited to the PSP, it's a shame that PO is part of the canon. :/

hirokazu

Kagari said:
That's a flashback to Liquid from Twin Snakes IIRC. If not, then it's from the original MGS. One of them.

tha_con said:
Oh. I never noticed, I'll have to pay attention to that when I get up to it again.

TTP said:
The neck is...

http://i29.tinypic.com/2q84oz6.jpg

But rather...

http://i26.tinypic.com/33wumf5.jpg

i was SO aiming at the wrong neck..... thanx. started act 5 now... sneaking is hard here, but i just started. and the neck tip will come in handy ;P

Wait, wait wait wa!

I just started up my complete save file to play the game again, and its installing again. Why is this? I thought once its installed it saved to your HDD and will stay there.

SMZC

Bizzyb said:

It explained how
BB got the funds and resources needed for Outer Heaven, how he became a member of the Patriots, how Para-medic, EVA and Sigint were involved in this as well, also how Ocelot Betrayed the CIA for the Patriots and it even explained How BB knew Frank Jaguer and why he had loyalties to BB during the Zanzibarland Incident

Well, it explains what would eventually be told in MGS4, I agree with that. It's just that I still can't get over the fact that Zero was the founder of the Patriots, and I consider Portable Ops to be the one that started that.

Sokolov being alive after Volgin's torture is a retarded plot twist as well. Big Boss being inspired by Gene's Army's Heaven makes the idea behind Outer Heaven devoid of originality, and it ruins Big Boss' character.

Regarding the funds for Outer Heaven, they don't even explain how Gene got them, they just say that he built them in secret. Why couldn't Big Boss had done the same thing? Before PO we were supposed to believe that Big Boss built Outer Heaven with the money he gained during his years as a mercenary. What was wrong with that?

Also, there's a bunch of crap that wasn't even explained in MGS4. Gene says that The Boss' death and even Volgin launching the nuke was a setup from the very beginning, but MGS4 doesn't say anything about that. Actually, it contradicts PO by saying that the CIA had The Boss killed on purpose because they saw her as a threat, when PO actually suggested that it was the mistery man who had her killed (in other words, Zero). But didn't Zero create the Patriots because he admired The Boss? I just can't make any sense out of this.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
tha_con said:

That's the voice of Liquid Snake, it's a 'flash back' from MGS1, when Liquid and Solid are on top of Rex.

Oh, oops XD

Aladuf

Banned
Blu_LED said:
Wait, wait wait wa!

I just started up my complete save file to play the game again, and its installing again. Why is this? I thought once its installed it saved to your HDD and will stay there.

I was wondering that too when I started up my second play through. I assumed that it would all just be saved to the HDD.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Blu_LED said:
Wait, wait wait wa!

Each time you bounce between acts, you need to endure the installation process. They aren't cumulative, they are overwriting the current cached data and replacing it with the new.

birdman

Aladuf23 said:
I was wondering that too when I started up my second play through. I assumed that it would all just be saved to the HDD.

I guess it's just a cache the game makes, then gets rid of it after you finish the act.

SRG01 said:
The Cobra unit carries microexplosives within them, and activate when they die so they can't be captured by the enemy.

I'm interested, i hated the beta, but for some reason im loving it now. i was hoping it'd be a little more "arcadey" like cod4 is, but perks and sop makes it fun. i requested to join the gaf frog unit clan yesterday. add me, my psn is longmeat

SRG01

bdizzle said:
I'm interested, i hated the beta, but for some reason im loving it now. i was hoping it'd be a little more "arcadey" like cod4 is, but perks and sop makes it fun. i requested to join the gaf frog unit clan yesterday. add me, my psn is longmeat

Personally, I've never joined clans in my long years of gaming. But it's still disappointing when there are nearly no GAF rooms being set up. :( I can't make a room because my internet has been going haywire as of late.

Bizzyb

Banned
SMZC said:
Well, it explains what would eventually be told in MGS4, I agree with that. It's just that I still can't get over the fact that Zero was the founder of the Patriots, and I consider Portable Ops to be the one that started that.

Sokolov being alive after Volgin's torture is a retarded plot twist as well. Big Boss being inspired by Gene's Army's Heaven makes the idea behind Outer Heaven devoid of originality, and it ruins Big Boss' character.

Regarding the funds for Outer Heaven, they don't even explain how Gene got them, they just say that he built them in secret. Why couldn't Big Boss had done the same thing? Before PO we were supposed to believe that Big Boss built Outer Heaven with the money he gained during his years as a mercenary. What was wrong with that?

Also, there's a bunch of crap that wasn't even explained in MGS4. Gene says that The Boss' death and even Volgin launching the nuke was a setup from the very beginning, but MGS4 doesn't say anything about that. Actually, it contradicts PO by saying that the CIA had The Boss killed on purpose because they saw her as a threat, when PO actually suggested that it was the mistery man who had her killed (in other words, Zero). But didn't Zero create the Patriots because he admired The Boss? I just can't make any sense out of this.

OK I will give you
Sokolov being alive after the torture as a retarded plot twist.
But Zeros plans were set in motion well before Portable Ops.

Whoever in MGS4 stated that it was the CIA that had the Boss killed was obviously misinformed, as EVA was about the true happenings of BB. It may have been the CIA to call the shot but it was Zero who put the pieces in place, the gears in motion so to speak.

Zero knew that with Boss gone, the last living member of the Philosophers, he could use her death and memory as an institute for starting up his OWN organization. One that would, "uphold the ideals and wills of the Boss"...of course we know that didn't go as planned, as he got more Greedy and Corrupt with Power. BB saw this and disagreed with Zeros intentions, both thinking the other was not working in the true intentions of the Boss' will. I'm willing to bet BB had the better idea of what her true wills were seeing how they lived and trained 10 years together.

And yeah, he basically used Her and Ocelot to obtain the money (The Legacy) he would need to start his Organization

As for BB deciding to start Outer Heaven, think about it, before Portable Ops he had no real reason to want to do something like that, (despite being shitted on by the US govt) nor could he attain the vast amount of money and resources to ever make something like that happen. Not on his own. He doesn't have that type of influence or deep connections. But someone like Gene, who could easily influence others could very well be able to.

In POps, BB was thrusts into a position where he had hundreds of men fighting and dying for him and his cause. Prior to that he lived and worked alone, only for himself. And to top it off, he was shitted on a 2nd time by the US govt.

oh and these vids can be found on youtube, easily

Bizzyb said:

It explained how

this.

If you replay all the MGS games and pay close attention to everything, the story is actually consistent from the very beginning (of the Solid games at least). MGS's main problem is that you need to actually pay attention to everything that was said in every game in order to completely understand what's going on. I don't know exactly how far ahead they planned this story when they were making MGS1. All i know and care about is that, in the end, everything works out perfectly.

Bizzyb said:
OK I will give you
Sokolov being alive after the torture as a retarded plot twist.
But Zeros plans were set in motion well before Portable Ops.

Whoever in MGS4 stated that it was the CIA that had the Boss killed was obviously misinformed, as EVA was about the true happenings of BB. It may have been the CIA to call the shot but it was Zero who put the pieces in place, the gears in motion so to speak.

Zero knew that with Boss gone, the last living member of the Philosophers, he could use her death and memory as an institute for starting up his OWN organization. One that would, "uphold the ideals and wills of the Boss"...of course we know that didn't go as planned, as he got more Greedy and Corrupt with Power. BB saw this and disagreed with Zeros intentions, both thinking the other was not working in the true intentions of the Boss' will. I'm willing to bet BB had the better idea of what her true wills were seeing how they lived and trained 10 years together.

And yeah, he basically used Her and Ocelot to obtain the money (The Legacy) he would need to start his Organization

As for BB deciding to start Outer Heaven, think about it, before Portable Ops he had no real reason to want to do something like that, (despite being shitted on by the US govt) nor could he attain the vast amount of money and resources to ever make something like that happen. Not on his own. He doesn't have that type of influence or deep connections. But someone like Gene, who could easily influence others could very well be able to.

In POps, BB was thrusts into a position where he had hundreds of men fighting and dying for him and his cause. Prior to that he lived and worked alone, only for himself. And to top it off, he was shitted on a 2nd time by the US govt.

oh and these vids can be found on youtube, easily
The Moment where
Jonathan Died I though was really the moment he turned

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jett said:
The codec is kinda useless this time around for "funny stuff". Rose is as worthless as she was in MGS2, and Otacton is well...Otacon. Really sucks you can't call your other "friends".
Someone should try manually tuning into Raiden's and Drebin's frequences. Maybe it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom