• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

tha_con

Banned
To anyone who's downloaded my theme, care to offer me any feedback? Looking to get 'better', so any criticism would be much appreciated :)

Also, played some more last night on Boss Extreme, did it in 45 minutes too!

...then saw that I had a kill AGAIN. FUCK ME. I think the explosion from the truck is killing some guards or something, because I haven't shot anyone...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
End of Act 3 + whole of Act 4 is perhaps the most impressive gaming has ever been. The amount of content and creativity poured into this game is seriously mind boggling.

It's funny, but despite being pre-recorded I probably wouldn't put the Act 3 ending cutscene even among 5 most visually impressive scenes in the game. Don't get me wrong, it was a great scene, action packed, great looking, sent the message it was meant to, and Liquid Ocelot was just fantastic in it, but I thought there were plenty of scenes elsewhere that were just plain more kickass looking even if they didn't have that many objects and characters on the screen at the same time.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
MarkMan said:
Anyone in Japan know if these are hard to come by?

purasu2341-img200x164-1213262704ugsiwq24832.jpg

Hori charger for PS3 controllers. I need me one of these...

t_hashi2003-img600x450-12140557320gwcml1319.jpg

t_hashi2003-img600x450-1214055754kgenh91453.jpg

Anyone?

Solo

I see this thread has gone past hyperbole and taken a blasphemous turn - people are actually calling "Old Snake" a better theme than the "MGS Main Theme" from MGS1, 2, and 3? Sheesh. All 3 versions are better, with the "MGS2 Main Theme" and "MGS3 Main Theme" versions of the theme both especially crapping all over "Old Snake". I will concede that the TAPPY arrangement from MGS1 isnt overly great, but the two HGW arrangements of it from 2 and 3 blow "Old Snake" out of the water.

I beat subsistance just now. It was so hard to not kill myself and reload everytime i got seen, like i did in MGS4. Eventually after 6 hours i had to verbally tell myself, "fuck it" have fun. God bless that 3D camera.

Solo said:
I see this thread has gone past hyperbole and taken a blasphemous turn - people are actually calling "Old Snake" a better theme than the "MGS Main Theme" from MGS1, 2, and 3? Sheesh. All 3 versions are better, with the "MGS2 Main Theme" and "MGS3 Main Theme" versions of the theme both especially crapping all over "Old Snake". I will concede that the TAPPY arrangement from MGS1 isnt overly great, but the two HGW arrangements of it from 2 and 3 blow "Old Snake" out of the water.

Old snake is a cool piece, but i agree the other two are better. I prefer 3's more orchastrated style than MGS2's techno vibe, however.

Solo said:
The lack of the MGS theme is indeed frustrating. But the OST includes many new additions, such as the Love Theme, Old Snake, Sorrow,
Father And Son
, Metal Gear Saga and quite a few good action tunes. Overall, I think that MGS4's OST is the superior one, especially if you hear it seperately from the game. In terms of music, MGS4>MGS3>MGS2>MGS1 for me. Goes with the production values, it seems!

Solo

Gamer @ Heart said:
Old snake is a cool piece, but i agree the other two are better. I prefer 3's more orchastrated style than MGS2's techno vibe, however.

I actually like the MGS2 techno-ish version the most, personally. Felt that it really fit the vibe of the game. And when matched to the awesome Kyle Cooper intro, its almost perfect.

tha_con

Banned
Guy's, you're not doing me any favors by quoting Solo and his ridiculous idea that HIS taste in music is far superior to everyone else's, and that you're wrong if you like anything outside of his taste.

Maybe if we agree with him, he'll disappear?

Dyno

Finished the game over the weekend. You know what's ironic? The gameplay and the engine MSG4 runs on is so superb that a Game of the Year could be made without cut-scenes. As it was the cut-scenes totally dragged this game down. (At least in my opinion: There I said it, tha-con... settle down there boy.)

I honestly cannot comprehend anyone crying over this self-indulgent 'story.' There is so much to point to but I'll just keep it short and focus on the ending.

- Naomi's double agent work was tedious. Her death was more dramatic pandering. Consider she had discovered a way to stave off cancer! This astonishing invention is brushed aside. Instead as soon as she becomes inconvenient to the story she offs herself. Snake and Raiden simply watch a woman commit suicide by jabbing a needle into her neck three times. Only the first of a serious WTF moment.

- Everyone has a monologue, everyone has a tale to tell before death, it just gets terribly old and stale. There are other ways to impart a story but we saw none of that here.

- The ridiculousness of the implausable Johnny/Meryl romance is only exceeded by the fact that Meryl packed a fucking gun with her wedding dress. That is some awful, juvenile shit.

- Big Boss suddenly shows us with a mostly dead invalid, cuts off his oxygen in what is surely the most pointless death in video game history, all the while our hero Snake doesn't say or do anything. All this of course is perfectly timed for BB's own demise.

- Snake not dying because of yet another throwaway Deus Ex Machina. I think it's telling that so many people die while Snake doesn't. Compensating much? Looks like Kojima didn't have to creative balls to let this retarded story line truly die.

More than any other game I have ever played this title needed serious editting. There were some amazing concepts and ideas in here but their impact was completely dulled by all of the other poorly executed melodrama thrown in there. It's a shame that so much effort was put into those cutscenes because the vast majority of players are going to skip them henceforth. All that disk space and effort for a product that is too painful to sit through twice.

I dearly hope Kojima takes that gorgeous game engine and uses it to tell a completely unrelated story. Something small and tight and not prone to collapse under its own pretension. He might find it a refreshing change.

suikodan

Speaking of the MGS main theme, anyone knows why it's not in the game? Old Snake is cool but I would have prefered the main theme by far.

I really missed it.

1stStrike

Banned
I think the song metal gear saga is actually on par with the metal gear theme from other games. Old Snake isn't though. Either way, I really like metal gear saga.

And, as a side note, I really wish I had some fried chicken right now.

@Dyno: Yea...not all of us feel like that. Actually, the majority of us don't. I've watched all the cut scenes almost 3 times now on my various play throughs (skipped on the third as I was doing the big boss emblem run, but watching again on my 4th).

There's always stuff that I miss the first time, so I'm glad I get to go through it again. I think people are just analyzing shit way too much in here. Though, I suppose that is the nature of GAF I guess. People with nothing better to do than over analyze games and critique them all to a fault all day. I have yet to play a perfect game..don't think I ever will.

[HP]

Dyno said:
It's a shame that so much effort was put into those cutscenes because the vast majority of players are going to skip them henceforth. All that disk space and effort for a product that is too painful to sit through twice.

That my friend, is a lie! :p
Of course the majority of the players will not skip the cut-scenes, the cut-scenes are what gives this game it soul! it's a mark of the MGS saga!

gantz85

Banned
Dyno said:
More than any other game I have ever played this title needed serious editting. There were some amazing concepts and ideas in here but their impact was completely dulled by all of the other poorly executed melodrama thrown in there. It's a shame that so much effort was put into those cutscenes because the vast majority of players are going to skip them henceforth. All that disk space and effort for a product that is too painful to sit through twice.

I dearly hope Kojima takes that gorgeous game engine and uses it to tell a completely unrelated story. Something small and tight and not prone to collapse under its own pretension. He might find it a refreshing change.

"Pretentious" is a favorite word of pseudo-intellectuals. Metal Gear Solid has always been a pretty bloated series in terms of narrative and the unfolding of the story.. but it isn't pretentious, because it doesn't try to be something that it's not. In fact, the argument that it's "indulgent" points to it unashamedly being what it is.

I'll agree on many of your other points. I do think that MGS could do with better editing and execution on many of its dramatic plot points.. I hope Ryan can pass on that message to the Kojipro staff. I think the distribution of effort going into cutscenes is worth it though.. MGS has to be played like an experience; it's unlikely you're going to watch the cutscenes over and over again but the first time you watch it and play through the game is pretty mind blowing.

A small and tight game from Kojipro would be a big suprise..

tha_con

Banned
Dyno said:
Finished the game over the weekend. You know what's ironic? The gameplay and the engine MSG4 runs on is so superb that a Game of the Year could be made without cut-scenes. As it was the cut-scenes totally dragged this game down. (At least in my opinion: There I said it, tha_con... settle down there boy.)

I honestly cannot comprehend anyone crying over this self-indulgent 'story.' There is so much to point to but I'll just keep it short and focus on the ending.

- Naomi's double agent work was tedious. Her death was more dramatic pandering. Consider she had discovered a way to stave off cancer! This astonishing invention is brushed aside. Instead as soon as she becomes inconvenient to the story she offs herself. Snake and Raiden simply watch a woman commit suicide by jabbing a needle into her neck three times. Only the first of a serious WTF moment.

- Everyone has a monologue, everyone has a tale to tell before death, it just gets terribly old and stale. There are other ways to impart a story but we saw none of that here.

- The ridiculousness of the implausable Johnny/Meryl romance is only exceeded by the fact that Meryl packed a fucking gun with her wedding dress. That is some awful, juvenile shit.

- Big Boss suddenly shows us with a mostly dead invalid, cuts off his oxygen in what is surely the most pointless death in video game history, all the while our hero Snake doesn't say or do anything. All this of course is perfectly timed for BB's own demise.

- Snake not dying because of yet another throwaway Deus Ex Machina. I think it's telling that so many people die while Snake doesn't. Compensating much? Looks like Kojima didn't have to creative balls to let this retarded story line truly die.

!!!!!!!

j/j :lol

Don't worry man, I'm not going to jump on you. I strongly disagree
especially about Snake, given that he IS going to die in like, 3 months
but to each their own.

Now, if you were coming in here saying we're all suffering from hyperbole, and that we are all wrong because we obviously don't see the light, then that would be a different story.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Solo said:
I see this thread has gone past hyperbole and taken a blasphemous turn - people are actually calling "Old Snake" a better theme than the "MGS Main Theme" from MGS1, 2, and 3? Sheesh.
All I care is that
the best is yet to come
is there, and I can play it anytime I want.

1stStrike

Banned
Yea, some of you guys must be deaf or something. I just went back and listened to em to compare and..while it may not share the same name..

Metal Gear Saga = Metal Gear Main Theme

It's just named saga in MGS4 and is changed up a little (I like this version the most).

Just got to Act 5.
In a previous thread about what had the best graphics this gen I said I was still more impressed with Uncharted, but I had only gotten to the end of Act 2. This game does so many absolutely astounding shit
from then on I cant even believe the PS3 doesn't just combust. The *Spoiler Act 4*
Metal Gear Fight between Rex and Ray
has some of the most insane amount of stuff going on I have ever seen.

Raiden has become one of the greatest characters ever by this game.
When he stops the
Haven from crushing snake
I was getting the most intense chills ever I just couldn't believe how
awesome that was.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
dabookerman said:
MGS4 has done this to me, and beware, ending spoilers
Made Big Boss my ultimate video game hero.

What are you talking about, MGS3 already did that.

I agree with the poster on Ocelot
his story was tragic on so many levels

Personally, I think it would be cool if they could remake the original two metal gear games.

tha_con

Banned
I'd honestly hope for a Revolver Ocelot game or another entry into the Big Boss saga before I ask for a Remake of any of the past games.

BruceLeeRoy Check your PM's :D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Goddamit I finally realized where the Gekkos neck is located. I can easily kill them with a machine gun now, even during the very prologue of the game. Am I the only one that didn't get it rightaway?

tha_con said:
I'd honestly hope for a Revolver Ocelot game or another entry into the Big Boss saga before I ask for a Remake of any of the past games.

The series is about stealth. That is not Ocelots style.

MORE BIG BOSS PLZ.

Hcoregamer00

Otheradam said:
I want the next game to star the Boss. I think there's a lot of potential there too.

True, especially because there could be a plot twist half way where you play as a younger version of Big Boss.

tha_con

Banned
TTP said:
Goddamit I finally realized where the Gekkos neck is located. I can easily kill them with a machine gun now, even during the very prologue of the game. Am I the only one that didn't get it rightaway?

I have no idea what you're talking about, please do explain!

Also, does anyone know if Chaff makes the Gekko's go berserk? Just wondering

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Hcoregamer00 said:
Personally, I think it would be cool if they could remake the original two metal gear games.

I think it's somewhat necessary now. Clean up the origin stories JUST a tad. I never believed in remakes until I listened to Steven Totilo talk about remakes... and I think that's what's warranted here. Better graphics (naturally) and an enhanced story.

That whole era feels like a large black out spot in terms of continuity.

Hcoregamer00 said:
What are you talking about, MGS3 already did that.

I agree with the poster on Ocelot
his story was tragic on so many levels

MGS3 made him on par with Solid. MGS4, poof, greatest man ever.

patsu

TTP said:

How ? I know there is a weak spot because I could one-hit kill them sometimes using a large weapon. But whenever I shot at their neck with small arms, they simply squat down to hide that weakness.

1stStrike said:
Yea, some of you guys must be deaf or something. I just went back and listened to em to compare and..while it may not share the same name..

Metal Gear Saga = Metal Gear Main Theme

It's just named saga in MGS4 and is changed up a little (I like this version the most).

The beginning bit from the Main Theme in the MGS3 soundtrack is the saga track. The last 90 seconds of the track is the "Main Theme".

Or am I completely misunderstanding you ;p

tha_con

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
The series is about stealth. That is not Ocelots style.

MORE BIG BOSS PLZ.

Who said anything about an Ocelot game being a Metal Gear game? You're saying it's impossible for Kojima to do an action game around Revolver Ocelot set in the same universe? :lol

Seriously?

Who said anything about MGS, I said I wanted an Ocelot game or a Big Boss game, never did I mention I want the next MGS to be about either character.

Hcoregamer00

El_TigroX said:
I think it's somewhat necessary now. Clean up the origin stories JUST a tad. I never believed in remakes until I listened to Steven Totilo talk about remakes... and I think that's what's warranted here. Better graphics (naturally) and an enhanced story.

That whole era feels like a large black out spot in terms of continuity.

QFT, if they do a metal gear game, it has to be a remake of the first two games using the MGS4 engine.

Finished the game over the weekend. I'd like to post my thoughts without spoiling anything, so here goes:

I'm not the biggest MGS fan in the world. I liked Metal Gear on NES, and I never played the sequel (either the REAL one or the fake NES version). MGS came out and blew me away. I loved the game, and played through it multiple times. I played MGS2 and some of the luster was lost. The whole Raiden thing, the ridiculousness of the story, the never ending boring conversations with Rose and the other characters via codec. It just didn't have the magic of the first but it was okay. Then I picked up Snake Eater. It just didn't do it for me. I hated the 60's setting, the lack of technology, the whole hunger and healing systems, the jungle. It just wasn't any fun to me. The cutscenes were well produced, but I didn't want to play the game to see them, so when Subsistence came out I got that and watched the "movie" disc of all the cutscenes and then traded it in. Yes, I bought it just to "see" the whole game's cutscenes. And they were great, although the story itself was not as interesting to me. I couldn't get into PO on PSP either, the controls and gameplay just didn't do it for me

So here comes MGS4. I was looking forward to it but after so many disappointments I didn't know how I would feel about the game. Well, I pretty much beat the whole thing in 2 days, playing for hours at a time because I couldn't put the game down. It's that good. To me, it feels like a real return to form for the series. It FELT more like MGS1 to me than any of the other games did. The gameplay is the ultimate refinement of the series, and the new combat mechanics worked very well for the way I always play (which is sneaking and tranquilizing whenever possible, but I'm not afraid to blow guys away when it's necessary. I shoot in MGS games ALOT, pure sneaking bores me.) So much action and fun. Far fewer CODEC conversations which to me is a good thing.

The cutscenes were phenomenal. As a man that prefers Twin Snake's graphics and cutscenes to the original, they were right up my alley. Some of the action scenes were totally over-the-top but I love them for it. This is the new high-water mark for cinematics in games, bar none. The framing, cinematography, music, etc. were all top-notch. Actual in-game graphics are good as well, although they don't stand out as much when compared to other games, I'd still say they are among the best.

Yes, some of the story elements were still over the top, but it all seemed to make sense in a way that "fits" in the MGS universe. I really felt for the characters in this game. It just seems so much better than MGS2 or 3. There was far more drama and far less philosophical rambling going on, which was a big problem in the last two games.

Kojima and his staff deserve all the kudos that they receive. The game is filled with fanservice and nods to the past which I loved. That being said, the game DOES sort of depend on fans knowing what the hell is going on. If this was my first MGS game I think I would have been really confused. But I think they realize most people buying this game are fans, so it's not a problem. Ultimately I give the game two big thumbs-up. It made me a fan again.

tha_con said:
Who said anything about an Ocelot game being a Metal Gear game? You're saying it's impossible for Kojima to do an action game around Revolver Ocelot set in the same universe? :lol

Seriously?

Who said anything about MGS, I said I wanted an Ocelot game or a Big Boss game, never did I mention I want the next MGS to be about either character.

You can't blame me for assuming a game staring one the biggest characters from the MGS saga would not be an MGS game. It was a logical jump.

Do you really think Konami would market an Ocelot game as anything except MG? To powerful a brand to drop it.

Putting that aside, what era would you like a big boss or ocelot game to be set in?

SRG01

Guled said:
I was hearing the talk of this game having a lot of retcons, but I don't really see that much. The only on I can think of is
Madner, and that could just be a reference to Snatcher instead of the MG2 Madner

Possibly Snatcher, since the cyborg technology is referred to as "Snatcher" from the MG database

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Finished the game over the weekend. I'd like to post my thoughts without spoiling anything, so here goes:

I'm not the biggest MGS fan in the world. I liked Metal Gear on NES, and I never played the sequel (either the REAL one or the fake NES version). MGS came out and blew me away. I loved the game, and played through it multiple times. I played MGS2 and some of the luster was lost. The whole Raiden thing, the ridiculousness of the story, the never ending boring conversations with Rose and the other characters via codec. It just didn't have the magic of the first but it was okay. Then I picked up Snake Eater. It just didn't do it for me. I hated the 60's setting, the lack of technology, the whole hunger and healing systems, the jungle. It just wasn't any fun to me. The cutscenes were well produced, but I didn't want to play the game to see them, so when Subsistence came out I got that and watched the "movie" disc of all the cutscenes and then traded it in. Yes, I bought it just to "see" the whole game's cutscenes. And they were great, although the story itself was not as interesting to me. I couldn't get into PO on PSP either, the controls and gameplay just didn't do it for me

So here comes MGS4. I was looking forward to it but after so many disappointments I didn't know how I would feel about the game. Well, I pretty much beat the whole thing in 2 days, playing for hours at a time because I couldn't put the game down. It's that good. To me, it feels like a real return to form for the series. It FELT more like MGS1 to me than any of the other games did. The gameplay is the ultimate refinement of the series, and the new combat mechanics worked very well for the way I always play (which is sneaking and tranquilizing whenever possible, but I'm not afraid to blow guys away when it's necessary. I shoot in MGS games ALOT, pure sneaking bores me.) So much action and fun. Far fewer CODEC conversations which to me is a good thing.

The cutscenes were phenomenal. As a man that prefers Twin Snake's graphics and cutscenes to the original, they were right up my alley. Some of the action scenes were totally over-the-top but I love them for it. This is the new high-water mark for cinematics in games, bar none. The framing, cinematography, music, etc. were all top-notch. Actual in-game graphics are good as well, although they don't stand out as much when compared to other games, I'd still say they are among the best.

Yes, some of the story elements were still over the top, but it all seemed to make sense in a way that "fits" in the MGS universe. I really felt for the characters in this game. It just seems so much better than MGS2 or 3. There was far more drama and far less philosophical rambling going on, which was a big problem in the last two games.

Kojima and his staff deserve all the kudos that they receive. The game is filled with fanservice and nods to the past which I loved. That being said, the game DOES sort of depend on fans knowing what the hell is going on. If this was my first MGS game I think I would have been really confused. But I think they realize most people buying this game are fans, so it's not a problem. Ultimately I give the game two big thumbs-up. It made me a fan again.

Great review man thanks for posting. One of my good friends who is going through had pretty much your exact same thoughts. Loved MGS1 and now 4.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
patsu said:
How ? I know there is a weak spot because I could one-hit kill them sometimes using a large weapon. But whenever I shot at their neck with small arms, they simply squat down to hide that weakness.

The neck is...

http://i29.tinypic.com/2q84oz6.jpg

But rather...

http://i26.tinypic.com/33wumf5.jpg

So all u have to do is simply bring them down by shooting at their legs and then hit the neck "above" them.

I also realized u CAN change Codec freq manually. Up and down on the d-pad.

tha_con

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
You can't blame me for assuming a game staring one the biggest characters from the MGS saga would not be an MGS game. It was a logical jump.

Do you really think Konami would market an Ocelot game as anything except MG? To powerful a brand to drop it.

Putting that aside, what era would you like a big boss or ocelot game to be set in?

I'd love to see some pre-Snake Eater saga for Naked Snake, possibly set in Korea during his missions with The Boss.

It was awesome to see how MGS4 played out in the
Frog sequence in Act 1
and it would be awesome to see more 'team work' in a Metal Gear game during certain sequences, etc. I would love to see some of that between Naked Snake and The Boss, using lots and lots of CQC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom