• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomico

chespace said:
Ah, so Genome Soldiers were in MGS1 and MGS2 only?
I *think* only MGS1 had genome soldiers. I don't remember any mention of the Gurlukovich Soldiers from MGS2 being part of the genome thing

chespace said:
What happened to them? There must've been hundreds if not thousands of them. Did they get integrated into the PMCs or just go and retire into the suburbs?
MGS1 spoiler. maybe

in MGS1, Liquid mentions he's adding a cure for foxdie to his demands, so he can save his genome army, otherwise they would die soon, because of genetic anomalies or something

my memory's a bit hazy on that one, since it's mentioned briefly during a single cutscene

Scarecrow

Gamer @ Heart said:
There are some checkpoints within levels.
While i didnt mind all the guys, i did mine having to load from the main menu every time i failed.

I tried doing a shadow run while Playing subsistance and having to wait and get myself killed to restart at the main menu was annoying as hell and was killing the fun. How did you deal with it?
I played it on European Extreme, where if you get spotted, it automatically gives you a game over. Of course, at the end I found that if you choose 'continue' after you're spotted/game over'd, it'll count as an alert on the final stats. I wasn't worried about that as much as just seeing if I could get through most of the game without getting spotted. There was only one room that I had to tranq one person in.

I have a question regarding the Patriots, if
the Patriots were really just 5 supercomputers after the MGS3 team died, then does that mean the supercomputers were the ones who captured Olga's child and raised Drebin or was that just Big Boss or Zero?

domlolz

Banned
The whole liquid arm thing just doesn't seem right to me

In MGS2,Ocelot and Liquid are both fighting over control over Ocelot's body.This is seen whenever Snake shows up and Ocelot's arm freaks out followed by Liquid's personality resurfacing(why would Ocelot do that purposefully?)

So did Ocelot take acting lessons or is this some of that retconning?

SRG01

darkpaladinmfc said:
I have a question regarding the Patriots, if
the Patriots were really just 5 supercomputers after the MGS3 team died, then does that mean the supercomputers were the ones who captured Olga's child and raised Drebin or was that just Big Boss or Zero?

The AIs make the decisions behind the scenes.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Bizzyb said:
So can no one really answer my question about Ocelot Killing the DARPA chief?
Ocelot didn't mean to torture him that much :p

TheWolf

Banned
yeah, that is sort of weird. one problem i have with The Patriots is that
they're really a faceless enemy with no presence and it's kind of hard to picture Ocelot and crew taking orders from an AI. i mean, how do they even communicate with people?

tha_con

Banned
SRG01 said:
How on earth do you get the S-Plug?

SIGINT being Darpa Chief made no sense. There was a huge conversation back on the IGN Metal Gear boards a while ago and it was concluded that the age difference between the two characters was too big. Revising Dr. Clark to be Paramedic (Dr. Clark was a man in the original MGS) was also a bit of a stretch.

Personally, the game would've been much better if Zero was part of a few other players that formed the Patriots. Or at least play up the Pentagon/CIA involvement a bit since P.Ops was barely mentioned in MGS4.

wat

Pretty sure it's never revealed that Dr. Clark was a man, only that Naomi thought he was a man, but has no knowledge of 'him'.

Also, if "Donald Anderson" was 20 years old during the events of Snake Eater, then he would have been in his 60's during MGS.

If you're going to tell me you somehow can guage difference by the pixel monsters of the PSX era, I'll give you the worlds greatest round of applause, because Solid Snake looks 19 in MGS, and Meryl looks like a teenager.

Seriously now...if anything is 'a bit of a stretch' it's your crazy attempts to reach for reasons to say the patriots back story was dumb...

tha_con

Banned
Deus Ex Machina said:
METAL GEAR SOLID 4 - Sadie's Gaming Infection review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bcIBatyTpw&eurl

Is this the same god awful chick who did the God of War review with her artificial ADHD-esque behavior she uses to fill in for the moments of silence?

"Kratos is cool, he rips people in half, and you know what, I like to eat my sandwiches cut in half, I also like pizza, do you know what Italy is like? I always wanted to go, speaking of Go, do you like the Go team, they did some music for little big planet, reminds me of God of War, where little kratos takes on big gods on the planet earth, this game is cool"

*ugh*

tha_con said:
wat

Pretty sure it's never revealed that Dr. Clark was a man, only that Naomi thought he was a man, but has no knowledge of 'him'.

Also, if "Donald Anderson" was 20 years old during the events of Snake Eater, then he would have been in his 60's during MGS.

If you're going to tell me you somehow can guage difference by the pixel monsters of the PSX era, I'll give you the worlds greatest round of applause, because Solid Snake looks 19 in MGS, and Meryl looks like a teenager.

Seriously now...if anything is 'a bit of a stretch' it's your crazy attempts to reach for reasons to say the patriots back story was dumb...

lol you know the gaf pixel counter defense force will be all over this challenge

tha_con said:
wat

Darpa chief does look like he's in his 50s/60s

SMZC

bdizzle said:
lol you know the gaf pixel counter defense force will be all over this challenge

There's no need for pixel counting. The DARPA Chief's MGS1 profile says he is in his 50s.

On the other hand, Sigint's MGS3 profile says he was born in 1939. And there are still people who think that this twist makes sense? Please.

Oh, and just for the record: Remember when MGS2 says that the Patriots didn't want REX to exist? Well, then how do you explain that the frigging person who created it was a Patriot?

SMZC said:
There's no need for pixel counting. The DARPA Chief's MGS1 profile says he is in his 50s.

On the other hand, Sigint's MGS3 profile says he was born in 1939. And there are still people who think that this twist makes sense? Please.

...But if he is signit that cant be right. I know for a fact he was 24 is Snake Eater. So they just screwed up?

tha_con

Banned
dabookerman said:
Darpa chief does look like he's in his 50s/60s

Nonsense. Obviously those dark pixels are there to represent tatoo's, and he's actually a white male in his 40's who turned to the war economy after his short encounter with the law and a Biker lifestyle ran short.

That's what the pixels tell me, at least.

Regarding Para-Medic
She is also revealed to be Dr. Clark, the scientist who was killed by Gray Fox prior to the events of Metal Gear Solid. This causes an inconsistency with the English version of Metal Gear Solid, which referred to Dr. Clark as a male (the character had no defined gender in the Japanese version). The Metal Gear Solid 4: Database covers this inconsistency by explaining that Dr. Clark was reclusive and never personally met her staff, leading Naomi to assume she was male

SRG01

tha_con said:
wat

I believe they state his specific age somewhere in one of the MGS1 references or docs. MGS:TUS has a thread about this too: http://www.metalgearsolid.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23445 and scroll down to solidsnake1MGS's post.

And yes, it was explicitly said that Dr. Clark was a man. The first hint that Paramedic was revised to be Dr. Clark was from the MGS1 official novelization, where he was changed into a woman. The official novelization thread even covers this.

The entire series is no stranger to retcons, but these two are kind of pushing it.

edit: After reading the past few posts, I have to point out two other "translation errors": Wisemen's committee as the Philosophers, and Olga's child being male in MGS2.

Its a shame Para Medic ended up being a bad guy. She was so cool in snake Eater. That being said, i would not mind controlling grey fox and killing her in a new game.

EekTheKat

TheWolf said:
yeah, that is sort of weird. one problem i have with The Patriots is that
they're really a faceless enemy with no presence and it's kind of hard to picture Ocelot and crew taking orders from an AI. i mean, how do they even communicate with people?

IIRC, there's a couple science fiction stories out there that explores this very theme (hell I think it was even a similar theme on an episode of Star Trek : TOS) :lol

Basically, it's something like this : the larger the organization
the easier it is for someone to remain faceless
, especially in an age depicted in the Metal Gear Solid world where a lot of things are done electronically, or carried out through nano machines or so. Also the larger the organization the more autonomous it tends to be, and the hierarchy for a huge organization tends to be incredibly hard to follow.

The reveal of things like bizarro Campbell in MGS2, and how Otacon was super careful about the first video message from Naomi ("there's no viruses, the voice print sounds like Naomi, and I'm pretty sure it's digitally faked")
pretty much shows how easy it can be in the MGS world to manipulate people.

It's not like some dude walks into a server throne room to report to a giant talking computer and greets it with "HEIL BIG BLOO,WHAT ARE YOUR ORDERS TODAY?" It's more like the local branch leader of company A receives an email (or order electronically) from a higher up source telling them to go ahead and do things
like capture Olga's child for example

This is not to say the machines had *all* of those tasks specifically in mind, such as stuff like Drebin's
youth and how he came to work for the patriots
. What happened to Drebin in his youth could have very well been a result of a different action/order, leading to
the AI deciding to use him in to fill a different role within the organization.
. Think cause and effect and AI's
thinking ahead to the next move

1stStrike

Banned
chespace said:
The gunplay can still get a little unintuitive when there's too much happening, but I don't think MGS4 was built as a shooter so I don't hold that against the game.

That's my problem with MGO - it's clunky and hard to aim sometimes. And god forbid you try to do cqc in a small area. It's forward roll after forward roll until someones camera fucks up and the other guy gets the advantage.

It's fun, but definitely has its issues.

Also, for those that are having issues with the spawn campers and such - get in the MGO thread and join one of the clans and play with us sometime. The matches are challenging and fun without the lameness. And people have mics (I'm waiting for crappy USPS to deliver mine though).

test_account

XP-39C²
Speaking of Metal Gear Online, does anyone knows how to earn the small icons next to your name? Like the eagle is headshot master etc. But how do you accuire them? I think i have somewhere around 1300 headshots and maybe soon 30 hours of playing time, but i still havnt got the eagle icon. I checked the details on some other players in the player ranking list and i see that people who have less headshots than me got the eagle icon. So how do i get the eagle icon?

I did a search on Google and i found this thread:

http://www.metalgearsolid.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&p=584806

One guy there says that if you kill people with a lower rank level than you then you will lose levels, is this true? If so, can this be the reason why i dont get the eagle icon, that i've done most of my headshots on people with a lower level than me? At this moment i'm a level 5 myself.

1stStrike

Banned
test_account said:
Speaking of Metal Gear Online, does anyone knows how to earn the small icons next to your name? Like the eagle is headshot master etc. But how do you accuire them? I think i have somewhere around 1300 headshots and maybe soon 30 hours of playing time, but i still havnt got the eagle icon. I checked the details on some other players in the player ranking list and i see that people who have less headshots than me got the eagle icon. So how do i get the eagle icon?

I did a search on Google and i found this thread:

http://www.metalgearsolid.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&p=584806

One guy there says that if you kill people with a lower rank level than you then you will lose levels, is this true? If so, can this be the reason why i dont get the eagle icon, that i've done most of my headshots on people with a lower level than me? At this moment i'm a level 5 myself.

Dunno. I'm rank 3 and still a rat lol. "Often gets stuck in traps" =\

My kill to death ratio is pretty horrid.

Fuck this game. After having a blast with Acts 1 and 2, 3 and 4 blew so fucking hard it blows my mind. How the fuck could the devs have even thought 3 and 4 would have been fun? Not one second was I not cursing the idiotic AI, the unfair advantages they have over you, the annoying objectives, and the pithy cutscenes. Between this and GTA4, I am never going to trust 'games journalism' reviews again. Seriously, how the fuck is this game getting perfect 10's? Just because it has hour long cutscenes that explain every facet of the Metal Gear universe? If Act 5 isn't any better, I'm getting a refund quickly because I know I'm never playing this dreck again.

This is coming from a huge Metal Gear fan, this game is one of the largest disappointments I've played.

tha_con

Banned
SRG01 said:
I believe they state his specific age somewhere in one of the MGS1 references or docs. MGS:TUS has a thread about this too: http://www.metalgearsolid.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23445 and scroll down to solidsnake1MGS's post.

And yes, it was explicitly said that Dr. Clark was a man. The first hint that Paramedic was revised to be Dr. Clark was from the MGS1 official novelization, where he was changed into a woman. The official novelization thread even covers this.

The entire series is no stranger to retcons, but these two are kind of pushing it.

edit: After reading the past few posts, I have to point out two other "translation errors": Wisemen's committee as the Philosophers, and Olga's child being male in MGS2.

"And in episode 77 of Star Trek, you can clearly tell the different between Shatner and his Stunt double.

Shatner.

Double.

Shatner.

Shatner Again.

And here, you clearly see Shatners coffee cup on set, which he forgot to remove!"

Seriously, you're talking grains of sand at the beach. Amusing you think these little details 'ruin the story'.

SMZC

LordAzrael said:
Fuck this game. After having a blast with Acts 1 and 2, 3 and 4 blew so fucking hard it blows my mind. How the fuck could the devs have even thought 3 and 4 would have been fun? Not one second was I not cursing the idiotic AI, the unfair advantages they have over you, the annoying objectives, and the pithy cutscenes. Between this and GTA4, I am never going to trust 'games journalism' reviews again. Seriously, how the fuck is this game getting perfect 10's? Just because it has hour long cutscenes that explain every facet of the Metal Gear universe? If Act 5 isn't any better, I'm getting a refund quickly because I know I'm never playing this dreck again.

This is coming from a huge Metal Gear fan, this game is one of the largest disappointments I've played.

Act 5 is even worse than 3 and 4. At least 4 has the nostalgic value. 5 has nothing.

LordAzrael said:

I can totally see your points. If you hated the gameplay in 3 and 4
lets just say you wont have much to complain about in act 5
on a literal sense.

Like i said before, the "game" ends at 3 and the "movie" begins.

1stStrike

Banned
LordAzrael said:

I don't really see where you're coming from. How is act 4 bad? How does the AI have unfair advantages over you? There isn't a single hour long cut scene (way to over exagerate).

Seriously, every metal gear game is heavy with cut scenes. If you're a "huge metal gear fan" then how could you come into this game not expecting a hefty amount of cut scenes? The games would be nothing without the story.

tha_con

Banned
LordAzrael said:

Uhh...Act 3 and 4 were by far some of the easiets acts to get through (on anything lower than Boss Extreme). Seriously, if you thought they were hard, you're doing something wrong (like not using camo, using loud weapons, making too much noise, running around freely in front of the enemy).

You can get through those acts with no kills and no alerts extremely easily on Normal difficulty, if you use Octo Camo, Solid Eye, and the Mk2 (or Mosin Nagant if you're FAR away).

5 is literally childs play (minus
Screaming Mantis fight and Ocelot fight
).

Given that you haven't played Act 5 yet, this is your first time, so you're not on the Boss Extreme...so you're a fan of Metal Gear, just not very good at it.

test_account

XP-39C²
1stStrike said:
Dunno. I'm rank 3 and still a rat lol. "Often gets stuck in traps" =\

My kill to death ratio is pretty horrid.
Ok, thanks anyway :) What kinda traps is it by the way? Stuff like gas, porno magazines, planted explosives etc.?

I thought that maybe you had to have some minimum kill to death ratio to get the eagle icon, but i checked another player that has the eagle icon and from what i can remember i probly had about the same kill to death ratio as him.

tha_con

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
I can totally see your points. If you hated the gameplay in 3 and 4
lets just say you wont have much to complain about in act 5
on a literal sense.

Like i said before, the "game" ends at 3 and the "movie" begins.

Act 4 is far lighter on Cutscenes when compared to 3, and has a LOT more gameplay...

I'm starting to think you're looking for team mates in what seems like your crusade against MGS4 :lol

[/defense force]

Lakitu

st5fu
Anybody notice the Lost reference in this?

The numbers of the channels at the beginning are: 15,16, 23 and 42. That's intentional?

1stStrike said:
I don't really see where you're coming from. How is act 4 bad? How does the AI have unfair advantages over you? There isn't a single hour long cut scene (way to over exagerate).

Seriously, every metal gear game is heavy with cut scenes. If you're a "huge metal gear fan" then how could you come into this game not expecting a hefty amount of cut scenes? The games would be nothing without the story.

People keep talking about cutsense, but its a game, that should come first.

Also, in Act 4,
the nostalga vibe is carried out further by having all the enemies be robots. This basicly means it plays out like the old games, staying out of vision cones. there are no milita to blend in and support and octocamo is useless out side of the boss fight. The gameplay regresses.
It wasnt much fun. Only the exciting end saves the Act and i think that awesomeness alone maybe blinding others to its otherwise bland gameplay.

Dez

SMZC said:
Act 5 is even worse than 3 and 4. At least 4 has the nostalgic value. 5 has nothing.

whatever gameplay there is in act 5 is fucking awesome. It's just that there's not enough of it.

SRG01

tha_con said:
"And in episode 77 of Star Trek, you can clearly tell the different between Shatner and his Stunt double.

Shatner.

Double.

Shatner.

Shatner Again.

And here, you clearly see Shatners coffee cup on set, which he forgot to remove!"

Seriously, you're talking grains of sand at the beach. Amusing you think these little details 'ruin the story'.

I never said it ruined the story. Don't get so defensive.

I'm merely pointing out that some elements of MGS4's story are a bit of a stretch. It's a great game, but it doesn't mean it's perfect.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
LordAzrael said:
Fuck this game. After having a blast with Acts 1 and 2, 3 and 4 blew so fucking hard it blows my mind. How the fuck could the devs have even thought 3 and 4 would have been fun? Not one second was I not cursing the idiotic AI, the unfair advantages they have over you, the annoying objectives, and the pithy cutscenes.
I can understand the complaint about sneaking part in Act 3, which required lots of patience and playing carefully, but how on Earth can second half of Act 3 and whole of Act 4 be described as anything less than outstanding? That segment of the game (which is as far as I've got) has kept me in constant minute-to-minute amazement, not to mention entertained - never letting go. And it was pretty easy to boot, despite me playing first time on Hard difficulty. What exactly was there to curse at? What was frustrating? I can't think of a single thing, except for one awesome boss fight which required you to actually think a little to "solve" it.

Did I say I died a lot? Did I say I was having trouble? No, I'm just having absolutely no fun. Helping the rebels in the first two was fun, hiding from robots in act 4 just isn't. If anything, the boss battles in this game are the only annoying thing, with vamp seriously just pissing me off, and the fucking Beauty and Beast force there simply to exist as boss battles, battles that just aren't fun. Pouring bullets into them takes forever, they're not hard, just annoying. As for the cutscenes, there are so many instances where they just aren't talking, or pausing between sentences, which would be fine, if what they were saying was realistic, believable or even just entertaining. Instead its just fluff and melodrama, which I know the earlier Metal Gears was full of, but maybe I'm getting too old, but I'm now finding myself contemplating skipping many of them, simply because I don't care.

Don't get me started on the annoying Drebin codec conversations after you kill the annoying bitches. I listened to one and I just skipped the rest.

Fuck this game, and fuck vamp. I only playing this pos now to see how it ends, I've come too far.

1stStrike

Banned
tha_con said:
Act 4 is far lighter on Cutscenes when compared to 3, and has a LOT more gameplay...

I'm starting to think you're looking for team mates in what seems like your crusade against MGS4 :lol

[/defense force]

*high fives*

We have a couple Mr. Negativity's in this thread. But it's ok, I have a big hammer :D

I'm not blinded. I've played through it 3 (almost 4) times now.
It's got the nostalgia, but those little robots are pretty much like the security cameras of old. You had to dodge those too.

The whole act builds up to the end and then you're given 2 (3?) epic battles.

@test_account: Yea, I always end up getting stuck on the porn mags. I'm always looking to the sky, run around the corner and blam D:

tha_con

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
People keep talking about cutsense, but its a game, that should come first.

Also, in Act 4,
the nostalga vibe is carried out further by having all the enemies be robots. This basicly means it plays out like the old games, staying out of vision cones. there are no milita to blend in and support and octocamo is useless out side of the boss fight. The gameplay regresses.
It wasnt much fun. Only the exciting end saves the Act and i think that awesomeness alone maybe blinding others to its otherwise bland gameplay.

I think it's high time you either accept the type of seris MGS is, or move on to another thread and torture them with your rabid assumptions.

Act 4 had a lot of great gameplay elements and sneaking, and it forced you to used cover and concealment to hide your location instead of simply relying on the Octocamo which get's you out of TONS of situation and literally made the game amazingly easy for the first 3 acts.

In Act 4, you're playing a different type of gaming, having to stay on the move to stay out of the enemies line of sight. You're giving it FAR too much credit because you're caught up in all the hoopla that all your battle buddies have stirred up about it being nothing more than 'fan service'.

The only reason THEY think it's nothing more than fan service, is because they are indeed fans of the series, and they felt it didn't service THEM, so now they shit on it. Bravo, indeed.

tha_con said:

[/defense force]

I loved it my first time through. I easily got swept along for the ride. However i am not blind to its faults like dam near everyone else here. My biggest issues arent with the amount of cutscenes, like i said, i enjoyed watching them. It was the fact that they took prority over the gameplay from the first two chapters. Instead of providing us with a levels that could further evolve what was delivered in the first 2 acts, the game instead gave us set pieces to walk through to push the story foward.
Act 5 is one area and a boss for goodness sakes. Empty hallways dont count!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
LordAzrael said:
hiding from robots in act 4 just isn't.
So blow them away with grenade launcher. They are like a fodder that's how easy they are to deal with when you get discovered by them.

Are you stuck on Vamp fight? One thing you need to do there is to think, not just try to shot him like mad. You are getting clues to what you need to do there, you just have to pay attention.

tha_con said:
I think it's high time you either accept the type of seris MGS is, or move on to another thread and torture them with your rabid assumptions.

Act 4 had a lot of great gameplay elements and sneaking, and it forced you to used cover and concealment to hide your location instead of simply relying on the Octocamo which get's you out of TONS of situation and literally made the game amazingly easy for the first 3 acts.

In Act 4, you're playing a different type of gaming, having to stay on the move to stay out of the enemies line of sight. You're giving it FAR too much credit because you're caught up in all the hoopla that all your battle buddies have stirred up about it being nothing more than 'fan service'.

The only reason THEY think it's nothing more than fan service, is because they are indeed fans of the series, and they felt it didn't service THEM, so now they shit on it. Bravo, indeed.

Accept a series with its faults? There is something seriously wrong with the fucking annoying follow quest at the beginning of Act 3, yet its forgivable just because its Metal Gear? Annoyingly long cutscenes that, while most are fun to watch, there are several that are just painfully boring and long, yet thats still okay just because its metal gear? Jesus Christ, its because of fans like you that Hideo still has absolute control over his games, and you just jizz all over any decision he decides to make, good or bad.

EekTheKat

Part of what makes Act 4 so good is the fact that the
base is abandoned with largely only robots/automatons hanging around.
If it was
full of soldiers just like MGS1
it would serve as nothing more than a simple
nostalgia trip

With the base full of
robots
it further serves as an additional message reminding you that
(MGS1)Shadow Moses's time had past and it's glory days are long behind it.
Some of the other little touches in Act 4 adds to this as well
the camera falling apart when you approach it, etc..etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom