• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Durante said:
I would have enjoyed the game much less if all 5 acts had just been some instance of the "warzone" theme. But I dislike all types of War shooters so I'm probably in the minority. Still,
how can you trade away the chase scene in act 3 or the Rex vs. Ray Battle? Or the greatest sneaking part in the game at the beginning of the fifth act?
those were the best bits of each act. What they should have traded was
following the rebel in act 3, replaying MGS1 in act 4 and add a bit more gameplay in act 5

psycho_snake said:
It didnt need to be
action packed straight away. I appreciate the nostalgia of that act, but it carried on for too long. I liked the gameplay during that act, but did I like that more than the gameplay from the first two acts? ofcourse not. If I want to walk around in shadow moses and hide from things, I'll play MGS1 again.

I would have liked if they made it a bit more interesting, but i didnt have a problem with the whole Act.
THE END WAS AWESOME!!!! <3 <3 ZOE3 INCOMING!!!!!

Durante

psycho_snake said:
those were the best bits of each act. What they should have traded was
following the rebel in act 3, replaying MGS1 in act 4 and add a bit more gameplay in act 5
But I actually enjoyed these parts! Especially
the rebel tracking.
As I said above I thought it was a nice change of pace and very atmospheric. The only point I agree with is
adding more gameplay in act 5
. But wanting more of it is a fate all great games share.

Struct09

Ferrio said:
Alternate way than what people have said:

You don't have to knock him down actually. If you stealth out of his sight, he'll look for you. When he passes by you can CQC him and he'll be surprised so he won't knock you away. Win the fight without firing a single shot... the way snake should!

You don't even have
to be stealthful. Don't shoot at him, just dodge his attack and grab him. It was probably the easiest boss fight in the game for me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
LordAzrael said:
I'm trying! CQC is R1, right? I can't grab this guy, no matter what I do. I've been trying for the past hour, lowering both his health and psych, and when he collapses, what am I supposed to do? I can't grab him, and when he gets up, he just knocks me away.
Not sure if you can do it bare-handed, just in case have Operator gun equipped (that weapon allows you to perform CQC) then
kill him so that he falls down to the ground, make sure he's very close to you when you kil him - then run behind him, have syringe selected, and the moment he stands up and starts kind of regaining balance, run to him, grab him with R1 and when you have him in a choke-hold, administer the syringe with Triangle. You had the right idea, now it's just pulling it off. I didn't get it right on my first attempt even when I was sure what to do - the window you have to grab him is pretty small.

Struct09 said:
You don't even have
to be stealthful. Don't shoot at him, just dodge his attack and grab him. It was probably the easiest boss fight in the game for me.
I tried that many times, and it didn't work (on Hard). He just shakes me off. Being stealthy like suggested earlier also didn't work, he would just shake me off, or Snake would bounce away from him when I tried to grab.

Durante said:
But I actually enjoyed these parts! Especially
the rebel tracking.
As I said above I thought it was a nice change of pace and very atmospheric. The only point I agree with is
adding more gameplay in act 5
. But wanting more of it is a fate all great games share.

I loved it too. Even if it was a bit simple, it was different and new. I hope other games, MGS or not, could build off something like that.

Edit: nvm, i meant the tracking in act 2.

tha_con

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
Way to put words in my mouth good sir.

Your attitude of "if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all" is childish at best. Need i remind you of the tittle of this message board, "Gaming Discussion" the key word there being discussion. Sre you seriously telling me to not critique the game? Seriously? Why are so defensive about this game? I enjoyed this game immensely and having you dismiss my comments simply because they dont fall in line with your experience is an attitude acceptable on gamefaqs. In no posts did i attack someone for their opinion on liking certain acts. I merely pointed out why someone might not love it as well as my personal opinion on the matter, which you took offense to. Now please, calm down and try not to be so stubburn.

I have no problems with opinions.

I do have a problem with harping.

Yeah, I guess I wish there was more gameplay in this game. 3 Still has the most. Was hoping this would be the longest in the series but it seems a lot of gameplay and story oppurtunities didn't quite make it. Who were the frogs and why were they strictly female? Why didn't liquid use his powers outside of that one cutscene? Couldn't we have had a battle zone area like act 1 and 2 that showcased just how crazy the guns of the patriots truly is?

In a way, though, I'm glad I got this game and not waiting another year for something "more". I loved every minute of it and maybe that's why I want more. Because it ended.

It was definitely light on gameplay. But what we did get is not flawed one bit. Act 3 haters be damned.

Oh.... and I felt the game gives us too much. We have a LOT of gadgets available to us to help get through the game and we're also given a near limitless amount of ammo at our disposal too. I would have liked only having a set amount of weapons with silencers with a limited amount of bullet supplies thus making something like the mk.II metal gear much more useful. I would have liked using it because I'm low on ammo or didn't have a silencer and not "just because".

There's a PMC around the corner and i don't have to think to strategically take him out. It's almost like a joke like: "Which toy should I use now?"

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
In all fairness, act 4 was a good act overall. I dont really have a problem with it.

My main problem with the game is just the imbalance in the gameplay. I would have been a lot happier if
the majority of the game was oriented around a warzone. It would have been perfect if acts 1,2,3 and 5 were all focused on warzones and act 4 still took place in shadow moses.

Durante

psycho_snake said:
My main problem with the game is just the imbalance in the gameplay. I would have been a lot happier if
the majority of the game was oriented around a warzone. It would have been perfect if acts 1,2,3 and 5 were all focused on warzones and act 4 still took place in shadow moses.
Hmm, I find that line of reasoning amusing. You complain about the imbalance of the gameplay, but
you want all but one act to take place in a warzone?
Wouldn't that be more imbalanced?

I guess it's just a difference in preference.
Most people who are big on console shooters would probably have preferred repeats (in terms of gameplay) of act 1 and 2 to what we got. I wouldn't.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
chespace said:
This thread is super amusing, thanks to tha_con. :lol

But yes, I think it might be easier if he just put all the "haters" on ignore. :p

Seriously though, it's okay to love certain sections of the game, and merely tolerate the others. You take that risk of alienating a part of your audience when you design a game with disparate parts and pacing (something I wish COD4 and other shooters would feature more).

I find it really cool how everyone loves/hates different sections. Some people think Act 3 is awesome, others hate it. Others love Act 4, others hate it. Quite interesting.

I stated in my earlier review how much I enjoyed the game and how it rekindled my love of the series.

But, nothing's perfect and I do have some minor quibbles. As I stated earlier, I basically shoot first and ask questions later with the tranq gun, so that is my playstyle. That being said, the "following" part of Act 3 was not very fun. It ended up being easy enough but I just don't care for missions like that in games. Loved the setting, though.

Second, you get all these weapons but I probably only used 1/3 of them. A lot of them seem pointless (i.e. all the different handguns, etc.). I just used the tranq the whole time anyway.

Finally, in the cutscenes you occasionally get the "flashback" notice to hit the X button. 80% of the time I could not make out WTF was in the flashback. I really don't know the purpose of this function other than to give the user something to do during the cutscenes since the images are displayed so quickly that it could not possibly be used by a newb to figure out what someone was referring to. Many times I KNEW what was being referred to and I STILL couldn't make out the images I was being flashed. Those needed to last longer or something.

Not bitching, just laying out my minor quibbles. Loved the game.

KTallguy

Banned
psycho_snake said:
In all fairness, act 4 was a good act overall. I dont really have a problem with it.

I felt this way at first. But then I realized that each act could almost be a self contained playstyle in and of itself. The variety was really amazing. Act 1 and 3 were very fresh, Act 2 was MGS3 style, and Act 4 MGS1 style, Act 5 MGS2 style. The only thing I wish is that Act 4 had more human soldiers. I wonder if you can run and gun your way through Act 3, because it seems impossible.

tha_con

Banned
Dr. Zoidberg said:
I stated in my earlier review how much I enjoyed the game and how it rekindled my love of the series.

But, nothing's perfect and I do have some minor quibbles. As I stated earlier, I basically shoot first and ask questions later with the tranq gun, so that is my playstyle. That being said, the "following" part of Act 3 was not very fun. It ended up being easy enough but I just don't care for missions like that in games. Loved the setting, though.

Second, you get all these weapons but I probably only used 1/3 of them. A lot of them seem pointless (i.e. all the different handguns, etc.). I just used the tranq the whole time anyway.

Finally, in the cutscenes you occasionally get the "flashback" notice to hit the X button. 80% of the time I could not make out WTF was in the flashback. I really don't know the purpose of this function other than to give the user something to do during the cutscenes since the images are displayed so quickly that it could not possibly be used by a newb to figure out what someone was referring to. Many times I KNEW what was being referred to and I STILL couldn't make out the images I was being flashed. Those needed to last longer or something.

Not bitching, just laying out my minor quibbles. Loved the game.

I agree with all of this (minus the weapons, I used a lot of them during my assassin play through :lol )

SRG01

Marconelly said:
I tried that many times, and it didn't work (on Hard). He just shakes me off. Being stealthy like suggested earlier also didn't work, he would just shake me off, or Snake would bounce away from him when I tried to grab.

You can't grab him from the front.

I managed to get one kill on act two in my 'no kills and no alerts' playthrough, which is a real pain in the arse. I have no idea how I managed it, I never used anything but the tranq sniper rifle and pistol. There's no way of finding out where I did it, is there? I really don't want to start again.

mileS

Opus Angelorum said:
I feel that I need to play this as it's clearly a milestone within the medium.

Should be arriving tomorrow so I'll post some early impressions.

Let me state that I will be playing with a degree of scepticism, so my pre-disposition will either be validated or ripped to pieces.

Opus Angelorum said:
I can't wait to come back with impressions, I'm up for some verbal sparring.

sounds like you want to hate it just for spite...

Dave1988

Wrestlemania said:
I managed to get one kill on act two in my 'no kills and no alerts' playthrough, which is a real pain in the arse. I have no idea how I managed it, I never used anything but the tranq sniper rifle and pistol. There's no way of finding out where I did it, is there? I really don't want to start again.

First phase of the chase sequence. The Powersuits DO count as kills.

Any shitgun with V ring ammo is your friend.

Dave1988 said:
First phase of the chase sequence. The Powersuits DO count as kills.

Any shitgun with V ring ammo is your friend.
I only used v ring ammo for that bit. Unless I shot a guy by mistake while killing gekkos, but I was so careful to avoid that. Annoying.

Saiyu

Well I'm done with Act 1, and it's improving but still reminding me too much of MGS3.

Oh and please don't tell me they've pulled a "Tanker scenario" with the
middle east setting
only being that short Act 1.

The cutscene/loading/cutscene length at the end/beginning of the acts was laughable though.

Solo

Gamer @ Heart said:
Hmm. You seem to have an issue with me not loving everything about this game. Figure out why that is, and stop it.

It's just the way he is. If you aren't knee deep in a pool of your own semen after playing the game, you apparently aren't doing it right. Hell, there is a ton of shit I love about the game, but since I have said that I think the story blows, apparently I am out to troll.

tha_con said:
I have no problems with opinions.

I do have a problem with harping.

And yet it's all you do, be it harping on the game's greatness, or harping on posters who don't love it. I don't mind people loving the game and "defending it" (lolz), but lets not be fucking hypocrites here.

1stStrike

Banned
test_account said:
Ok hehe :( Is there any way to avoid these magazines by the way?

Yea, forward jump over them or just walk around them. If you see a team mate get stuck on em, dive roll into him to free him.

Me, being a sniper, I'm always looking for other snipers..so I always fall for the dumb traps D:

darkvir

Finished it this weekend, luv'd it. The story made me appreciate the older games in the story much more, especially MGS3.

Fine work Team Kojima.

1stStrike

Banned
Dax01 said:
I need to play more of the multi, but so far, I like it more than CoD4's.

Nice. Make sure you check out the neogaf clans. My MGO nick is 1stStrike so hit me up if you guys ever wanna get a game going (playing with the clan = 10x more fun than random servers)

Johnas

I have a story question about
Eva/Big Mama
. I would really appreciate it if someone could provide some insight on this for me, I don't have any way of getting my PS3 online right now so I can't access the MG Database which possibly clarifies this.

Since we find out in the end that Eva and Ocelot (and Naomi) were working against the Patriots, what are we supposed to assume about the end of Act 3? Was Eva working in conjunction with Ocelot here, completely faking her sorrow at Solidus' body being thrown into the fire? Big Boss himself says in the ending that Eva put his body back together with parts from Liquid and Solidus, so by that logic you have to assume that she knows that's Solidus' body (in the van and on the boat) and not Big Boss's. But if that's the case, then if she was working with Ocelot then the entirety of Act 3 would be nothing but a huge act on her part, is that the case? The bottom line is I'm wondering exactly how much Eva knew what was really going on. Is it possible that Ocelot was acting on his own (not informing her of the grand scheme) the whole time, even though she was on his side?

I'm leaning towards
Eva being completely in on it, because right before her death she talks about taking things back to zero, just as Big Boss did in the ending. Also, as I said before, she had to know that that was Solidus' body there and not Big Boss, since she herself repaired Big Boss' body with parts from Solidus and Liquid.

1stStrike said:
Nice. Make sure you check out the neogaf clans. My MGO nick is 1stStrike so hit me up if you guys ever wanna get a game going (playing with the clan = 10x more fun than random servers)
I did check out the thread, but got a little overwhelmed. Wasn't quite sure what to do, but then again I only skimmed through the OP.

1stStrike

Banned
Johnas said:
Eva/Big Mama
. I would really appreciate it if someone could provide some insight on this for me, I don't have any way of getting my PS3 online right now so I can't access the MG Database which possibly clarifies this.

Since we find out in the end that Eva and Ocelot (and Naomi) were working against the Patriots, what are we supposed to assume about the end of Act 3? Was Eva working in conjunction with Ocelot here, completely faking her sorrow at Solidus' body being thrown into the fire? Big Boss himself says in the ending that Eva put his body back together with parts from Liquid and Solidus, so by that logic you have to assume that she knows that's Solidus' body (in the van and on the boat) and not Big Boss's. But if that's the case, then if she was working with Ocelot then the entirety of Act 3 would be nothing but a huge act on her part, is that the case? The bottom line is I'm wondering exactly how much Eva knew what was really going on. Is it possible that Ocelot was acting on his own (not informing her of the grand scheme) the whole time, even though she was on his side?

I'm leaning towards
Eva being completely in on it, because right before her death she talks about taking things back to zero, just as Big Boss did in the ending. Also, as I said before, she had to know that that was Solidus' body there and not Big Boss, since she herself repaired Big Boss' body with parts from Solidus and Liquid.

I'm pretty sure she was part of the act. As we learned in MGS3, she attended charm school and was a master of lying and becoming who she needed to be to complete the mission. I know it's stretching it a bit that even acting she would throw herself into a fire, but with her impaled and shit it's not like she had much to lose as she was probably going to die anyway (even if the foxdie, which she didn't know about, wasn't there).

That part is a little bit out there. I was kind of wondering it myself when I first saw it, but it's not a deal breaker. It fits in line with her story and what she is and was.

FtsH

A question about the beginning of Act 1, guess everyone has seen this screen so I don't need to spoiler/spoiler it....

Was Snake saluting for The Boss? But he doesn't have that kind of relationship with her like Big Boss had, does he? Or was he saluting for the gravestone beside The Boss'? Who was that? I think the game gave a short focus on it but I couldn't catch the detail.

Jeff-DSA

Saiyu said:
Well I'm done with Act 1, and it's improving but still reminding me too much of MGS3.

Oh and please don't tell me they've pulled a "Tanker scenario" with the
middle east setting
only being that short Act 1.

The cutscene/loading/cutscene length at the end/beginning of the acts was laughable though.

The game differs from MGS3 by an insane margin. Keep playing.

People who judge games by 1/5th of the experience need to find another hobby.

Jeff-DSA

FtsH said:
A question about the beginning of Act 1, guess everyone has seen this screen so I don't need to spoiler/spoiler it....

Was Snake saluting for The Boss? But he doesn't have that kind of relationship with her like Big Boss had, does he? Or was he saluting for the gravestone beside The Boss'? Who was that? I think the game gave a short focus on it but I couldn't catch the detail.

Wasn't it Snake's own grave? I thought it was the gravestone they put up for him when they thought he had died in MGS2. Didn't the death date read 1999?

I might be way off on that, as I played that part at 2:00am...so I'll take what anybody else says on the matter as a more definitive answer.

1stStrike

Banned
FtsH said:

It's Big Bosses grave next to The Bosses grave. He doesn't know The Boss, but he obviously knows Big Boss.

Johnas

1stStrike said:
I'm pretty sure she was part of the act. As we learned in MGS3, she attended charm school and was a master of lying and becoming who she needed to be to complete the mission. I know it's stretching it a bit that even acting she would throw herself into a fire, but with her impaled and shit it's not like she had much to lose as she was probably going to die anyway (even if the foxdie, which she didn't know about, wasn't there).

That part is a little bit out there. I was kind of wondering it myself when I first saw it, but it's not a deal breaker. It fits in line with her story and what she is and was.

Thanks for responding.
I had forgotten the charm school background, that fits perfectly, you're right. I also agree about her dying, it's also possible to think that, like Ocelot, she would be willing to die if it meant the elimination of the Patriots. I like your idea better though. I was also just thinking about how the very last shot of her shows her with her hands folded, as if to suggest she was at peace about how everything worked out up to that point.

DarkKyo

Jeff-DSA said:
Wasn't it Snake's own grave? I thought it was the gravestone they put up for him when they thought he had died in MGS2. Didn't the death date read 1999?

I might be way off on that, as I played that part at 2:00am...so I'll take what anybody else says on the matter as a more definitive answer.
That wouldn't make sense, since MGS2 happened in 2007-9

RobertM

Johnas said:
Eva/Big Mama

I'm leaning towards
You mustn't forget that some evens didn't take place over night which sometimes feels like it. Also Ocelot of the past is not Ocelot of the present, he is Liquid Ocelot, he is the
doppelganger

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I have a question about MGO - you know how some games can have guests when you have a friend over - can you do that with MGO?

That way both my friend and I could play?

Anyway, just got past Act 4 and it was AMAZING. The end segment, where it's not the conventional gameplay but another type of gameplay, did that much better than the best games of that certain type of gameplay (I'm trying my best to be as vague as possible so I don't have to use spoiler tags).

FtsH

1stStrike said:
It's Big Bosses grave next to The Bosses grave. He doesn't know The Boss, but he obviously knows Big Boss.

Big Boss was buried next to the The Boss? Is this metioned anywhere in MGS4 (or other MG/MGS)?

Lol just finished the
Psycho Manthis part
in Act 5 :lol

I had a SixAxis so he got upset :lol
what happens if you play that part
with the DualShock3
?

keyrat

Dax01 said:
What I don't understand is how the US and other countries could possibly allow themselves to come under the control of the SOP system.

I can't be sure, but isn't it related to
solidus being the president of the US at some point?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
keyrat said:
I can't be sure, but isn't it related to
solidus being the president of the US at some point?

Solidus was totally against the Patriots, though. If he could have, I don't think he would have allowed the US to come under the SOP's control. I think, by the time he was "elected" President, the Patriots already had the US and the world itself under their control and it was only growing stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom