• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkpen

Banned
Kittonwy said:
RAGE!!!111!!!
angry.gif

RAGE!!!111!!!
angry.gif
YumiKikuchi.jpg

MScoutsDCI said:
This question was raised about 100 pages back or so and after searching each page since, I've determined it's still unanswered so I'm going to re-ask it.

In MGS3, Naked Snake is given the password "Who are the Patriots?" to which ADAM is supposed to reply La-li-lu-le-lo.

How can this happen when
the Patriots aren't created until after MGS3 by Zero and Big Boss himself? And for that matter, how come the Patriots are referenced in other parts of MGS3?
The idea of the Patriots were born from Zero (hur hur).

jvalioli

MScoutsDCI said:
This question was raised about 100 pages back or so and after searching each page since, I've determined it's still unanswered so I'm going to re-ask it.

In MGS3, Naked Snake is given the password "Who are the Patriots?" to which ADAM is supposed to reply La-li-lu-le-lo.

How can this happen when
the Patriots aren't created until after MGS3 by Zero and Big Boss himself? And for that matter, how come the Patriots are referenced in other parts of MGS3?
I'm 99% sure the use of that in MGS3 was a joke, but my interpretation of that would be that The Patriots while being named after the Boss are also named after that since it is part of the same mission. To censor "Patriots" it only seems appropriate to use La-li-lu-le-lo, if you're looking back at that event.

Just finished it 5 mins ago... man that was a long... LONG ending. And I'm hearing right now in the credits a new version of the MGS theme. So the song is in the game after all :p

The engine really showed it self in the end of the game, some scenes looked so damn beautiful :eek:

Johnas

MScoutsDCI said:

How can this happen when

You raise a good point, but they could have created that particular password without having a whole lot of meaning behind it, or without having any sort of direct reference to what we now know as the Patriots.

I totally see where you're coming from though, just trying to provide some kind of explanation for it. The more you get into trying to figure out every story nuance, the more each plot hole hurts when you discover it, you want so bad for it to all fit perfectly. That's my experience, anyway.

Metalmurphy said:
The engine really showed it self in the end of the game, some scenes looked so damn beautiful :eek:

Some of the cemetery shots are just amazing, I love what they did there.

Metalmurphy said:
Just finished it 5 mins ago... man that was a long... LONG ending. And I'm hearing right now in the credits a new version of the MGS theme. So the song is in the game after all :p

Yeah, the "new" theme is present in the Snake Eater soundtrack, too.
TIME PARADOX

keyrat said:
Dude, play through MGS1. It really is the best one, then MGS4. I'm kind of sad just reading that you're experiencing
shadow moses in MGS4
before MGS1. Just so you know, that's the
exact same spot where you need to switch the discs in MGS1, hence the joke
That makes it even funnier.
I thought it was due to all the rumors of MGS4 coming to the 360, and it would need to come on multiple discs, though. Boy was I mistaken.

jett

D-Member
MScoutsDCI said:

How can this happen when

Also, what's up with Raikov looking EXACTLY like Raiden, shit his name is even Raikov Raidenovich!!!!?!?!!? WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAAAAAAN!!?!?!

It's just fan service.

jvalioli

bPod said:
Please do share with us when its complete! Love to display that on my wall!!!
I will if you tell me what resolution is good for printing a 73cm x 52cm poster. Editing out the fold lines in this poster is getting really tough now!

So, regarding a certain boss fight:
When Psycho Mantis shows up, he first freaks out over why there are no memory card ports. Then he goes with the DS3 for the "move controller" bit. Has anyone tried to get a MGS1/2/3 save file, and have a Memory Card reader plugged in?

Darkpen

Banned
Guled said:
the one when otacon talks about the raven fight is the best. You are the shit!
there are several entertaining codec calls that you have to really look for to hear, which sucks. I hope someone compiles all of the best codec calls into a series of youtube clips.

Darkpen

Banned
jet1911 said:
God, she's pretty. :eek:
fistfulofmetal said:
I can't decide who's better looking, Lyndall Jarvis (Laughing Octopus) or Yumi Kikuchi (Raging Raven)
In my opinion, they're all gorgeous women, its just that some of them had better makeup and hairdos done for the B&B corps related stuff than the others.

EekTheKat

MScoutsDCI said:

How can this happen when

I think you're taking this part way too literally and/or you're looking at it the wrong way.

The segment you're referring to was something pulled out of
old spy movies where agents would use questions and answers to identify each other. La li lu le lo in this particular instance was nothing more than a keyword.

But, as for the word "Patriot" in relation to the story arc : FOX
use to use the words "Patriots" and "La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo" as identifiers. The Patriots organization came after FOX - there's really nothing preventing Zero (a former commander of FOX) from choosing the word "Patriots" as an organization name (especially considering all the connotations that the word "Patriot" carries with it(lloyalty and dedication to your country).

The word "Patriot" had another use in the game
given The Boss's gun was also called a Patriot, one can say that The Boss's death came was by a Patriot. Which hammers home the point that she died because of her loyalty and dedication to her country
. It gets even more "profound" (or "heavy handed")
when you consider her beloved pupil was behind the Patriot and he ultimately pulled the trigger that killed her

Darkpen

Banned
Kagari said:
So I decided to replay MGS1 again after this... you die a lot easier than I remember :(
MGS1 follows the line of MG1 and 2, where your health bar increases based on bosses you defeat, lol D:

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Metalmurphy said:

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAKE... ITS NOT OVER YET!

rager

Banned
Just finished Act 3. OMG!!!! What an experience. The chase scene, everything. I almost teared up. This is truly the game of the forever, no game has EVER made me feel this way.

I cannot go any further tonight, my heart is racing, I have to get to sleep and tackle Act 4 tomorrow.

I don't want this game to end.

Was it just me or was the ending
completely overwhelming with the amount of information that was given? Big Boss is alive?!?! What! He was held down by the system and then reconstructed with parts from Liquid and Solidus?!?! I didn’t see that one coming, and it didn’t make the most sense but it definitely was a jaw dropping moment. I really thought Snake had blown his brains out by that point so I was on the edge of my seat for that entire part.

So Liquid was really Ocelot and not Ocelot as Liquid? From the events of MGS2 I thought Liquid had taken over Ocelot’s mind (& body) but in the end of MGS4 it was Ocelot that had wanted Snake to succeed? I didn’t fully understand what was going here, but dang that last boss battle was so awesome, and man the graphics! The sunset sky looked incredible and I mean jaw dropping incredible plus there was the changing life bars and music matching as they went through each of the games styles…that fight was truly epic.

Did anyone else find the BB Corps to be rather easy? I beat all of them on my first try and didn’t find them very hard at all. I still really enjoyed the fights and the different ways that had to be discovered to beat them was great, but they were just a little too easy. My favorite of all them would definitely be the Crying Wolf battle in the blizzard because of the nostalgia of fighting Sniper Wolf in the exact same location all those years ago. A close second would be the Laughing Octopus battle just because I found it to be very different and original. That and she actually hid in the freaking box on the shelf, haha so awesome.

MGS4 had so many fantastic moments that it is hard to pick a favorite but Act 4 in general I thought was the best part of the game. Being able to go back to Shadow Moses and have the dream sequence where you replay MGS 1 for a few minutes, and having the dialog replay while you retread familiar ground, it just added so much the experience. The battle with Vamp is very cool and the spilt screen battle between Vamp and Raiden while you defended REX is a great idea. If you try to shoot Raiden while he is fighting Vamp Snake repeats the famous line, “no, I can’t do it” ala MGS 1. Also the Metal Gear versus Metal Gear is so intense and well done...dang that Act is so awesome.

I definitely have to mention the thrilling chase/driving sequences in both Act 2 & 3, with the ride with Big Mama being my favorite of the two. That part is so much fun plus it looks amazing. There are so many great pieces that make MGS4 the best game of this year and for the PS3. It took almost seven years to get a true sequel to MGS 2 and it better than I could have ever hoped for.

Well done Kojima, well done .

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Dax01 said:
How do you beat Vamp?

Shoot him until he falls down (aim for the head if you can). Get behind him before he wises fwom his gwave. As he stands up, grab him with CQC (Hold R1). Inject him with the syringe.

urk said:
Shoot him until he falls down (aim for the head if you can). Get behind him before he wises fwom his gwave. As he stands up, grab him with CQC (Hold R1). Inject him with the syringe.
Which syringe?

Farnack

Banned
jaaz said:
It's hard to remember all the details when you've been playing games since the apple II+ / Atari 2600 days. (Bonus points to anyone who can figure out the game where my avatar is from).

Anyways, I'm playing through again, so I'll try it out on the Mantis fight.
Dude... the Psycho Mantis fight is as famous as FF7's spoiler of
Aeris dying.

burgerdog

Hm, I knew something was up when I heard the ipod/beginning of act(cough) of "the best is yet to come" it's a shorter version of the real track. Real track is still ACE, best fucking music track I've heard in a video game ever.

urk said:
Check your inventory. ;)
Thanks Urky boy.:lol :lol I thought it was something extremely more complicated than this.

MickeyKnox said:
The only one you have in your items.

Have no weapon quipped and hit triangle while in CQC hold.
Oh, no wonder I wasn't doing it correctly.

Edit:
He's beaten.

Can someone enlighten me:

How did Big Boss work with Naomi while he was in the coma under the Patriot's control? Did I miss something? When did Big Boss wake up from the coma?

That really bothered me in the ending.

burgerdog

DancingCactus77 said:
Can someone enlighten me:

How did Big Boss work with Naomi while he was in the coma under the Patriot's control? Did I miss something? When did Big Boss wake up from the coma?

That really bothered me in the ending.

Maybe somebody left a detailed document behind? Sorry, can't think of anything else or any other way.

G-Bus

Banned
Fun game. Was expecting a little more out of Act 3 after reading so many posts saying how it really picks up there. I dunno, myabe it's just because I'm not so enthralled with the story, but it was a pretty boring act minus the bike chase part. Which, by the way... was fucking amazing.

So far act 2 is my favorite. Some good action parts to play through, and the ending cutscene with raiden was awesome <-- understatement.

Just 2 more acts to go. I hope the action picks up. I wanna sneak through some more war zones and fire fights. So intense. :D

Teknoman

Greatness Gone said:
Just started this game earlier. Fuck Laughing Octopus, SRSLY, that bitch is scary. :-(

LAUGH...LAUGH WITH ME!!

jaaz said:
Oh man, found a hilarious easter egg while running around during the
Screaming Mantis
fight. Highlight below at your own risk!

Screen suddenly goes black and "Video2" appears in the upper-right hand corner. I was about to scream at my kids for hitting the video input on the remote control when I suddenly realized it didn't say "Video2" in the upper-right hand corner, but "Hideo2" and then the game screen comes back.
:lol

lol dont worry, she says "BLACK OUT!" before it happens. Though I freaked out too until I saw what the TV said.

Also:

Killthee said:
F$U has passed us and Fox Hound is right on our tail.
106nbyq.jpg

F$U only has 14 members (X_X;).
205ca34.jpg

C'mon everyone ; ; Fox and Frog Unit arent even on the list.

tha_con

Banned
Request: Can anyone who has a capture card (or the ability to capture audio) kindly get me the sounds from MGS4. I'd prefer all sounds, if you can turn off in game music, just get sounds of the inventory scrolling, and the menu sounds (this would include something like turning auto-aim on / off, as those are some of the sounds I want to use as well).

It'll be going into my MGS4 theme, as well as many new BG's (well, not "many" but a few!)

1stStrike

Banned
Shrinnan said:
Since there is some discussion about MGO, can someone possible answer my question?

Thanks.

No, you can't have a guest player. And, you can only have 1 char per PS3 system. If you want more slots you need to pay for them.

@Metalmurphey: I told you guys the metal gear theme was in the game. It's just called Metal Gear Saga in MGS4 instead of the main theme.

@Teknoman: We need some more active people. Everytime I login I'm lucky to see 3 people logged in on foxunit out of..61 members.

I would totally join you guys and help bring NEOGAF to the top

but you know Konami had to be retarded and say I can only play on the Japanese servers.

Grrrrr

1stStrike

Banned
Dax01 said:
Did Naomi "betray" Snake and the others so she could find out where Ocelot is hiding the nuke and tell them?

No, she never betrayed anyone. Her defecting to snake and everyone was part of ocelot's plan from the beginning so she could give them the virus. They had to do everything under the radar and make it believable so that the patriots wouldn't suspect foul play.

After the first Raiden vs Vamp fight, Vamp calls Ocelot and says, "Boss are you sure?" and Ocelot says, "It's all part of the plan."

It's a bit subtle, but that's how it is. Naomi definitely felt bad about everything she had done. When Otacon talks about scientists being used by evil to do their dirty work you can see it really bothers her. She feels really guilty about everything she's done.

And that's how it is.

hirokazu

Dax01 said:
Boy, I wish I didn't have to kill the suicide Geckos so I could watch the second Raiden v. Vamp fight.:lol :lol
Yeah, I watched the
bike chase in Act 3
video that someone posted earlier and I was thinking "Holy shit that looks so good!" I never really realised how cool it looked because I was too busy actually playing it. I'd like to see someone else play the
split screen
sections just so I can watch the game instead of focus on playing. :lol

1stStrike said:
No, she never betrayed anyone. Her defecting to snake and everyone was part of ocelot's plan from the beginning so she could give them the virus. They had to do everything under the radar and make it believable so that the patriots wouldn't suspect foul play.

After the first Raiden vs Vamp fight, Vamp calls Ocelot and says, "Boss are you sure?" and Ocelot says, "It's all part of the plan."

It's a bit subtle, but that's how it is. Naomi definitely felt bad about everything she had done. When Otacon talks about scientists being used by evil to do their dirty work you can see it really bothers her. She feels really guilty about everything she's done.

And that's how it is.
Now I remember.
So she told Snake and the others where Ocelot was planning to launch the nuke out of guilt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom