• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Solideliquid said:
Was it ever explained why the BB are named after the Foxhound members of MGS1? Did Ocelot do it just to mess with Snake's mind?
well octopus was a mimic
wolf was a sniper
mantis was a telekentic
and raven....................... had heavy firepower?

1stStrike

Banned
Dax01 said:
Now I remember.
So she told Snake and the others where Ocelot was planning to launch the nuke out of guilt?

Not out of guilt. I mean, she definitely felt bad about everything, but as I said, it was all part of Ocelot's plan. She had to seem to defect to them, give them the data they needed to take down the Patriots AI and then she went back to Ocelot so that he could get control of the system (You remember them saying that he needs Naomi for it to work right? I'm guessing she had to do something in order for Ocelot to get past the system and take control).

The whole game is wrapped around this..it's not really that simple, but you should've picked up on it at some point.

hirokazu

Dax01 said:
Now I remember.
So she told Snake and the others where Ocelot was planning to launch the nuke out of guilt?
I don't know, you don't seem to be following the story very well. Snake, Otacon and friends
figured it out for themselves putting together the clues gathered from Metal Gear Mk.II and everything else they heard during the Act 4 Mission Briefing. The rest was all part of Ocelot's plan so she had to help them out.

As already explained, Naomi never had to tell Ocelot where the nuke is because he was in on the plan. Why would Ocelot need to know where REX's nuke is when he knew everything about the Shadow Moses incident and it's aftermath? He was one of the masterminds behind it, after all.

Dax01 said:
Now I remember.

Well according to the story Ocelot needed Snake to implant the virus, as only he could do it? Not entirely sure why Ocelot couldn't just walk over and do it himself. Did they need Snake's biometric info to give GW access to JD/the rest?

Ferrio

Banned
Solideliquid said:
Well according to the story Ocelot needed Snake to implant the virus, as only he could do it? Not entirely sure why Ocelot couldn't just walk over and do it himself. Did they need Snake's biometric info to give GW access to JD/the rest?

Because 2 things

1. Ocelot didn't have the virus, no way to implant it. He needed someone else to finish it.
2. If ocelot would of tried the patriot system would of taken him down if he got close enough. The patriots wanted snake to get close since they thought he was going to save them.

hirokazu said:
I don't know, you don't seem to be following the story very well. Snake, Otacon and friends
figured it out for themselves putting together the clues gathered from Metal Gear Mk.II and everything else they heard during the Act 4 Mission Briefing. As already explained, Naomi never had to tell Ocelot that because that was part of his plan. Why would Ocelot need to know where REX's nuke is when he knew everything about the Shadow Moses incident and it's aftermath? He was one of the masterminds behind it, after all.
I had forgotten that what
Ocelot said to Vamp about it being all apart of the plan.
It's why I got confused.

I look forward to a few years (months?) from now when essays will be written about this game and the complete summary of the story. :lol As for now, I am too busy replaying the game to understand every little detail in the last act.

hirokazu

1stStrike said:
@Metalmurphey: I told you guys the metal gear theme was in the game. It's just called Metal Gear Saga in MGS4 instead of the main theme.
Again, it's derived from the MGS3 Main Theme, which is significantly different to the MGS/MGS2 version. Strictly speaking, there is no one true "Main Theme," so you could say the theme is in the game, but when most people talk about the theme, they're usually referring to the MGS/MGS2 version, which is definitely not there.

I hope this doesn't spark another argument about the whole theme issue. :/

hirokazu

jaaz said:
Oh man, found a hilarious easter egg while running around during the
Screaming Mantis
fight. Highlight below at your own risk!

Screen suddenly goes black and "Video2" appears in the upper-right hand corner. I was about to scream at my kids for hitting the video input on the remote control when I suddenly realized it didn't say "Video2" in the upper-right hand corner, but "Hideo2" and then the game screen comes back.
:lol
That came up within 30 seconds of the fight for me. Mission briefing spoilers:
If you haven't noticed, one of the monitors on the Mac Pro that Sunny uses sometimes says HIDEO2 or something similar in the corner, as will the TV on the top floor of the Nomad when it has a blue screen. The interactive TV segment at the start also has HIDEO1 and HIDEO2 channels. ;)

The real easter egg in that fight is when
the game appears to reset, and the Konami logo shows up, except it says "Kojima," followed by the KP logo, except it says "Kojima Protection." Reminds me of the insanity stuff from Eternal Darkness, although all of that was directly inspired by the original MGS themselves.

Just finished Act 4. Holy shit what an epic ending. I didn't realize
Raiden was that strong, strong enough to hold back a ship of that size for those crucial seconds.

tha_con

Banned
hirokazu said:
That came up within 30 seconds of the fight for me. Mission briefing spoilers:
If you haven't noticed, one of the monitors on the Mac Pro that Sunny uses sometimes says HIDEO2 or something similar in the corner, as will the TV on the top floor of the Nomad when it has a blue screen. The interactive TV segment at the start also has HIDEO1 and HIDEO2 channels. ;)

the game appears to reset, and the Konami logo shows up, except it says "Kojima," followed by the KP logo, except it says "Kojima Protection." Reminds me of the insanity stuff from Eternal Darkness, although all of that was directly inspired by the original MGS themselves.

Protip:
Check out my MGS4 theme and look at the display settings

EekTheKat

DancingCactus77 said:
Can someone enlighten me:

How did Big Boss work with Naomi while he was in the coma under the Patriot's control? Did I miss something? When did Big Boss wake up from the coma?

That really bothered me in the ending.

I'll try + look this one up further, but their relationship chart looked like this :

Big Boss - Null/Grey Fox (joins Big Boss)- Naomi Hunter(adopted by Grey Fox, after he kills her family).

Naomi more or less has an indirect history with Big Boss through Grey Fox.

Yeah...
but why wasn't Raiden strong enough to free himself from the rocks but was strong enough to halt the progress of a ship! That blows my mind in a negative way.

Dax01 said:
Raiden was that strong, strong enough to hold back a ship of that size for those crucial seconds.

Cartman86

Banned
EekTheKat said:
I'll try + look this one up further, but their relationship chart looked like this :

Big Boss - Null/Grey Fox (joins Big Boss)- Naomi Hunter(adopted by Grey Fox, after he kills her family).

Naomi more or less has an indirect history with Big Boss through Grey Fox.

Wasn't one of Naomi's lines in MGS1 (and is in MGS4 as well) "You killed my benefactor and sent my brother home a cripple." Did she mean Big Boss was her benefactor or was she talking about Grey Fox in both cases? Either way it also says in the timelines that Naomi and Grey Fox were brought to the USA by Big Boss himself, so I would assume she knew him at least a little. Also did it ever say in MGS4 that Big Boss was in contact with Naomi? She joine dup with Ocelot and Eva to get him back basically. Either in MGS1 or sometime after. Then Big Boss probably learned of what she did after he was reawakened. Probably by a message left for him.

God act 3 is so crappy. I didn't want to bore myself and tried just getting there on my own since I remembered where the place is. Sadly you can't do that.

Please take this out in any -stence version Kojima and just put in some awesome solo stealth.

Darkpen

Banned
Teknoman said:
C'mon everyone ; ; Fox and Frog Unit arent even on the list.
MGO isn't enjoyable for me anymore. Maybe I'll try using an ethernet port, see if there's a difference in connection speed.

Pachinko

Well I finished it tonight 17 hours and 44 minutes on solid normal.

So it's certainly the longest metal gear solid by a good few hours of course... I'd estimate that if a first timer wanted to skip the entire storyline they could pull it off in 6 hours or less.

Without going into much detail I'll say that MGS3 and 4 together more then redeem kojima for the mess the second game was. For the record I"m not a raiden hater either I just hated alot of aspects of 2's gameplay.

I may get lynched for it but I still consider the original psone metal gear solid to be the best one in the series. It's simple and easy to play , has fun boss encounters and doesn't have all the existential storyline stuff .. well atleast not as bad as the other 3 have it.

Metal Gear Solid- 5/5
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of liberty - 3.5/5 and I"m being generous
Metal Gear solid 3: Snake Eater - 4/5
Metal Gear solid 4: Guns of the patriots 4.5/5

Never played portable ops.

M3wThr33

Banned
-COOLIO- said:
well octopus was a mimic
wolf was a sniper
mantis was a telekentic
and raven....................... had heavy firepower?
Still doesn't explain the duplication, unlike MGS2's use of Dead Cell.

dmshaposv

For me the biggest problem is MGS4's story.

Kojima basically thinks he can explain any thing with "nanomachines" and some technical mumbo jumbo that he thinks everyone would buy into. On top of that having every character inter-connected - all of them having their own underdeveloped story archs - he has made the whole MGS universe into some stupid soap-opera.

What bugged me was that he made so many "impossible" things happen (even by MGS standards) for the sake of fan service, that it was hard to take anything seriously. MGS4 had great cutscenes but a nonsensical story that made it peripheral to the game.

In terms of story MGS1 is still king, as it remained a plot twisting pot-boiler thriller from start to finish. MGS4 on the other hand, turned into a self-indulgent military soap-opera.

I expect a roaring backlash on MGS4's story in the coming months.

hirokazu

dmshaposv said:
What bugged me was that he made so many "impossible" things happen (even by MGS standards) for the sake of fan service, that it was hard to take anything seriously.
Like what? Everything that was hard to explain, like you said, was explained by nanomachines, and it's not actually implausible when they are explained that way.

dmshaposv said:

Nah, don't see that. You guys fail to realise that the story of the predecessors suffered under similar problems - the nature of the story telling was always the same. And give me breake, MGS1 has the best Story of the Series? Credibility - 100

hirokazu said:

Huh, I've never got that to happen to me. Are there any specific triggers for it, or does it just happen randomly?

1stStrike

Banned
Cartman86 said:
Wasn't one of Naomi's lines in MGS1 (and is in MGS4 as well) "You killed my benefactor and sent my brother home a cripple." Did she mean Big Boss was her benefactor or was she talking about Grey Fox in both cases? Either way it also says in the timelines that Naomi and Grey Fox were brought to the USA by Big Boss himself, so I would assume she knew him at least a little. Also did it ever say in MGS4 that Big Boss was in contact with Naomi? She joine dup with Ocelot and Eva to get him back basically. Either in MGS1 or sometime after. Then Big Boss probably learned of what she did after he was reawakened. Probably by a message left for him.

Big Boss was her benefactor, as he brought them back to the US. And Grey Fox was her brother. So, snake killed her benefactor (twice at that) and not only crippled, but killed her brother. And then he became the cyborg ninja thanks to Dr. Clark (Para-Medic).

dmshaposv

hirokazu said:
Like what? Everything that was hard to explain, like you said, was explained by nanomachines, and it's not actually implausible when they are explained that way.

Big Boss returning - possibly the major fuck up for me.

If Eva could reconstruct Big Boss, why not just give him back his eye? why make him so old? where does everyone keep getting Liquid's spare parts anyway (that too in good conditions)? wouldn't Liquid and Solidus's "parts" look different than Big Boss's - he should'nt even look like his former self.

I would've lived happily if Snake had commited suicide and there was no after credits sequence.

Also NO ONE questioned Ocelot suddenly being possessed by Liquid? wtf? No exposition on what convinced them on how liquid "lives on" as Ocelot.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

dermannmitdemcolt said:
And give me breake, MGS1 has the best Story of the Series? Credibility - 100

A tight narrative, well executed plot twists and message on nuclear proliferation that never became as preachy as any other issue raised by the sequels. All this too at a time when video game story's were just evolving.

Nah, you just have bad taste.

darkjacob

Banned
dmshaposv said:

Kojima basically thinks he can explain any thing with "nanomachines" and some technical mumbo jumbo that he thinks everyone would buy into. On top of that having every character inter-connected - all of them having their own underdeveloped story archs - he has made the whole MGS universe into some stupid soap-opera.

What bugged me was that he made so many "impossible" things happen (even by MGS standards) for the sake of fan service, that it was hard to take anything seriously. MGS4 had great cutscenes but a nonsensical story that made it peripheral to the game.

In terms of story MGS1 is still king, as it remained a plot twisting pot-boiler thriller from start to finish. MGS4 on the other hand, turned into a self-indulgent military soap-opera.

I think he tried to make things to plausible with the story. He should've just kept the magic realism that he had going in the second and third games. And not explaining it with nano-machines and technicial mumbo-jumbo like the whole
vamp thing
and
liquid taking over ocelots body.

And @ bolded nah, the story is still pretty amazing imo, most of the negatives are things that the previous games had, but i consider those things to be traits of the series, and most of it's plot-holes stern from the fact that he re-wrote the storyline starting with 3, because of the backlash MGS 2 got.

EekTheKat

dmshaposv said:

You're not looking at the entire Metal Gear Saga as a whole. Metal Gear Solid 1 is only one part of a very, very large puzzle.

The overall arc when pieced together is one very ambitious piece of writing, especially in the context of video game stories.

See my previous posts in this very thread to see what the main arc of the Metal Gear Solid series was really about, why Metal Gear Solid 3 is the most important game in the series (as it really does
anchor
the whole Saga).

dmshaposv said:
Big Boss returning - possibly the major fuck up for me.

If Eva could reconstruct Big Boss, why not just give him back his eye? why make him so old? where does everyone keep getting Liquid's spare parts anyway (that too in good conditions)? wouldn't Liquid and Solidus's "parts" look different than Big Boss's - he should'nt even look like his former self.

Well...

Notice how solidus was missing a face?

Anyways:

We don't know the condition of Big Boss's remains. He had something left of him, but short of seeing him shirtless like Raiden we can't really tell what parts of him were stitched back together.

Re-attaching an optic nerve is nearly impossible, especially one that has basically been shut down for 30+ years. Sure, it's science fiction, but I don't think there has been a single example of an artificial eye in a human in the series. There's also no way to make him younger - it's just a matter of what face you see (I'm inclined to say that's his original face, but hell, in MGS2 it was obvious that Solidus was his mirror image.

It's definitely a question as to how the Patriots have managed to secure their remains so quickly; my only guess is that the Patriots have always had shadow units waiting to collect. Considering the value they place on the BB line, that's not so surprising.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Durante said:
Hmm, I find that line of reasoning amusing. You complain about the imbalance of the gameplay, but
you want all but one act to take place in a warzone?
Wouldn't that be more imbalanced?
Not really. If all but one act
was focused on a warzone
, then most of the game would be focused around the best part of the game.

Maybe imbalance isnt the right word to use in terms of gameplay. Its too diversified. I appreciate Kojima trying to
give us different things to do in each act, but I would rather see more warzone bits.

crustikid

just beat it. :D i really want to make sure i understand it right: so in the end, the whole game was just a conspiracy to reboot the system? like ocelot/liquid, debin, naomi, big boss,etc....were all in it, together? so the system itself was just got so big, no one could fix it, so they send snake in to destroy it? and all the while snake and company are oblivious to being pawns of a larger grand scheme?

also, otacon made me really wanna get a macbook pro.

boco77

Banned
why did they want to bring back
Big Boss anyway? was this even explained? So I guess their main plan failed and the saga didnt end happy for everyone as Patriots had the last laugh with BB dying from the new FOXDIE virus from Snake?

Dax01 said:
He shouldn't have been able to. That entire scene is stupid. The fact that HE LIVES afterwards is even more ridiculous. I'm sure everyone who watched this part expected Raiden to be dead.

ALSO. Why isn't Nastasha in this? I completely expected her, considering that she FOUNDED PHILANTHROPY.

psycho_snake

For anyone who doesnt understand the
Liquid ocelot
scenario, metal gear wiki has a small section about it that explains it well in a couple of lines.

1stStrike

Banned
boco77 said:
why did they want to bring back
Big Boss anyway? was this even explained? So I guess their main plan failed and the saga didnt end happy for everyone as Patriots had the last laugh with BB dying from the new FOXDIE virus from Snake?

You missed some shit. Seriously, pay attention. Big Boss was in a state of suspended animation for many years, basically. They rebuilt his body with parts from solidus and liquid (the left overs basically) and everything that had happened had been told to him.

He talks about returning everything to zero. The new generation shouldn't have to inherit the sins of the old generation (mainly, what he and major zero started). He already knows that snake was injected with a new kind of foxdie when he goes there; he basically goes there to die.

Their plan succeeded as Naomi and Sunny's virus destroyed all the AI's, right up to JD. However, as they describe it, they destroyed the brain but left the stem intact. So, the important parts of society were able to continue functioning (food and such) while the war portion had been completely disabled.

U K Narayan said:
He shouldn't have been able to. That entire scene is stupid. The fact that HE LIVES afterwards is even more ridiculous. I'm sure everyone who watched this part expected Raiden to be dead.

ALSO. Why isn't Nastasha in this? I completely expected her, considering that she FOUNDED PHILANTHROPY.

If you remember from MGS2, Nastasha wrote a book about shadow mosses, made a huge profit and retired. We never hear from her again after that as she no longer takes part in any sort of military operations. As far as we know. I mean, for all we know she could've been assasinated for revealing what happened in shadow mosses or something. But, that's never touched on again after they say she's retired. So, that's all we have to go on.

psycho_snake

U K Narayan said:
Yeah i was a bit surprised she was never in it. However, Snake doesnt work for
Philantrophy
anymore, so maybe they felt no need to introduce
nastascha
back into the story.

boco77

Banned
1stStrike said:
You missed some shit. Seriously, pay attention. Big Boss was in a state of suspended animation for many years, basically. They rebuilt his body with parts from solidus and liquid (the left overs basically) and everything that had happened had been told to him.

He talks about returning everything to zero. The new generation shouldn't have to inherit the sins of the old generation (mainly, what he and major zero started). He already knows that snake was injected with a new kind of foxdie when he goes there; he basically goes there to die.

Their plan succeeded as Naomi and Sunny's virus destroyed all the AI's, right up to JD. However, as they describe it, they destroyed the brain but left the stem intact. So, the important parts of society were able to continue functioning (food and such) while the war portion had been completely disabled.

I wasnt talking about their plan to get rid of the AI, I was talking about their plan to bring back Big Boss only to have him die again from FOXDIE. I have paid attention and you avoided my question of the reason for them trying to bring him back, as there was absolutely no reason behind it other than him being a legend they wanted him to live on?..it wasn't so he could die again and return to zero wtf. If that was the case they wouldnt even have bothered to get bits of Solidus to reconstruct him.

boco77 said:
I wasnt talking about their plan to get rid of the AI, I was talking about their plan to bring back Big Boss only to have him die again from FOXDIE. I have paid attention and you avoided my question of the reason for them trying to bring him back, as there was absolutely no reason behind it other than him being a legend they wanted him to live on?..

Yeah, I think it's pretty simple...we know that Ocelot idolized him and Eva was still in love. It's natural that they wanted to bring him back to live, given the chance.

psycho_snake said:
Yeah i was a bit surprised she was never in it. However, Snake doesnt work for
Philantrophy
anymore, so maybe they felt no need to introduce
nastascha
back into the story.
And thats the other thing.
The storyline of mgs4 has pretty much nothing to do with Metal Gear/walking nuclear tank. This is like the only MGS game where a new metal gear wasn't introduced. No the mark 2 or 3 doesnt count. Of course leaving philanthropy is never explained but then again it doesnt need to because apparently metal gears are no longer a concern and there is no reason for philanthropy to exist anymore.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Lostconfused said:
The storyline of mgs4 has pretty much nothing to do with Metal Gear/walking nuclear tank. This is like the only MGS game where a new metal gear wasn't introduced. No the mark 2 or 3 doesnt count. Of course leaving philanthropy is never explained but then again it doesnt need to because apparently metal gears are no longer a concern and there is no reason for philanthropy to exist anymore.

Gekkos.
If you read the database, they carry the designation of Metal Gear because they don't ALWAYS carry a nuclear payload.

Plus, you've got the Arsenal Ship/Outer Haven, which is kinda like Arsenal Gear.

just finished the game. Great. going to play it again.

i do have very mixed feelings about some of the cutscenes though... although the production quality is very high, some are just tooo cheesy. i read stories about people crying over these cutscenes.... come on now.. i felt emberrassed half the time. it just doesn't work.

Some bossfights were just too easy and the A.i of the enemy soldiers is bud spencer movie level, but i guess it's meant to be that way.

another gripe (probably shared by many): too many loadtimes and too many times pressing the start button..

still one of the very best games i played.

Lostconfused said:
Are we completely positive that Philanthropy doesn't exist anymore? How did they get the Nomad? Isn't that Philanthropy's plane?

I know I'm going to get backlash for saying this, but this game is pretty much 70% fanservice. Not that I'm saying it's a bad thing, I just wish that Kojima had this thing stand on its own legs - rather than it being mostly derivative.

thetrin said:
Plus, you've got the Arsenal Ship/Outer Haven, which is kinda like Arsenal Gear.
Arsenal Gear =/= Metal Gear

EekTheKat

The storyline of mgs4 has pretty much nothing to do with Metal Gear/walking nuclear tank.

Otacon explains this :

For all intents and purposes the
Irving/Gekko
is the new Metal Gear.
It's a new type of Metal Gear for a new age basically

This is part of the reason why Old Snake is
old...the battlefield is passing him by and he's slowly finding himself not needed anymore.

crustikid

psycho_snake said:
For anyone who doesnt understand the
Liquid ocelot
scenario, metal gear wiki has a small section about it that explains it well in a couple of lines.

Thanks that helped. I was really confused
about the ending...I wasn't sure if the whole "take down GW/JD" was a ploy at resetting the system when, in fact, Snake/Ocelot really were after the same things. I couldn't get over the fact that nobody was really, actually, bad, or EVIL. The evil WAS the SYSTEM.
This part from http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Liquid_Ocelot really helped.

Liquid Ocelot - FTA said:
Ocelot actually had no intentions of nuking JD or taking over the Patriots. He simply wanted them removed and a clean slate. In the end, Ocelot could not escape Liquid's need to fight his twin brother to the death.

BigBoss said:
Did everyone already forget that there was no
Metal Gear in MGS3?
Shagohod - while not officially a Metal Gear, was a moving nuclear platform. It was very close to being a Metal Gear. The only thing it needed was legs.

And, if that doesn't cut it for you, the actual concept of a Metal Gear is mentioned in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom