• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTallguy

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Well people have to do something to kill time until it gets here. :p I'm thinking about finally getting around to watching episodes of Eureka.

Luckily for me I'm on business for two weeks starting Monday.

Unluckily for me I have to wait a few days before the game comes out to play it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
FabCam said:
In MGS2, how many Metal Gear's do you have to beat until the Virus kicks in?
Depends on the difficulty level.

woodchuck

has anyone here ever rented a system before? i'm thinking about renting a ps3 + mgs4. i dont even know if blockbuster rents systems anymore. I might check out Rent-a- Center. Anyone know the approximate price range for renting systems?

Something that really irks me with some of these reviews is that they're talking about extremely long cutscenes and codec moments as if these are new elements to the series. They shouldn't even be mentioned if your reviewing this game, imo. Why the fuck should that matter? That has been the staple of this franchise for 10 fucking years; why would you expect it to be any different for the final game? Or even think of docking marks for those reasons alone.

Also, i call dibs on this avatar but if someone else already has it i'll change it. i haven't seen anyone use it as of yet, though.

painey

Mets39 said:
Play.com exclusive, already sold out

fuck, it came with the soundtrack too :( Normally LE's are at GAME and therefore available everywhere for months after release.. missed the boat on this one.

criesofthepast said:
Something that really irks me with some of these reviews is that they're talking about extremely long cutscenes and codec moments as if these are new elements to the series. They shouldn't even be mentioned if your reviewing this game, imo. Why the fuck should that matter? That has been the staple of this franchise for 10 fucking years; why would you expect it to be any different for the final game?

Of course they should be mentioned - it's a review, not a piece of PR. Just because they have been in the games for 10 years doesn't justify their inclusion.Cutscenes that long are a complete turn-off for anyone with limited time on their hands (ie, most people with a job in a relationship)

bigswords

-COOLIO- said:
wild boar?

It's in a yellow box packaging. And Jack Bauer in 24 has eaten it on TV.

To the Sushi answer, well that's another of the foods that Eva liked from Japan. But this is a food that Snake has on him, and when you speak to Eva on the codec she asks whether can you bring some for her to try.

bigswords said:

To the Sushi answer, well that's another of the foods that Eva liked from Japan. But this is a food that Snake has on him, and when you speak to Eva on the codec she asks whether can you bring some for her to try.

Ah shit

I already know the answer, but I'll let the others have fun with it. I'm gonna go watch something.

GauntletFan said:
:lol at the notion of EDGE giving a game a 10 for $700 of cheap Halo swag. You fanboys are out of your damned minds.
Put more words in my mouth, I'll be sure not to spit them out.
Edge has no consistency in their reviews and no general standard that should be applied.

To swing the discussion a bit, are any of you guys going on a self imposed media blackout for this game? I most likely will. I'll probably start on the 11th of June and get back on forums and game sites after I finish the game. The weekend of the 13th to the 15th is all MGS4 all the time.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
duuuuh, Caloriemate

calorie%20mate.jpg

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
bigswords said:

ohhh

Kweh

Is there some good video walkthrough on what happens in MGS3? I've tried to go back to it and complete it but it's just too frustrating.

Lurchio

Ynos Yrros said:
Put more words in my mouth, I'll be sure not to spit them out.
Edge has no consistency in their reviews and no general standard that should be applied.

Oh please,If EDGE had given it a 10 you'd be as giddy as a schoolgirl on prom night.

Isn't there some deal going on at GameStop where you trade in a PS2, a Memory Card and a Controller for $80 off a PS3? That apply to the MGS4 bundle?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The Edge bashing is wack. This game is obviously going to be super freakin awesome for the people who are already fans of the series. Sounds like points are docked due to the fact the game is staying in the same general direction when it comes to the general perception of plot length and convolutedness. I don't really care, thats what I love about Metal Gear Solid.

The "controls striking a balance" is wonderful to hear though

kuYuri

BlueTsunami said:
The Edge bashing is wack. This game is obviously going to be super freakin awesome for the people who are already fans of the series. Sounds like points are docked due to the fact the game is staying in the same general direction when it comes to the general perception of plot length and convolutedness. I don't really care, thats what I love about Metal Gear Solid.

You just stole someone's avatar.

Blame!

This bit of the Eurogamer review has me worried actually....90 min cutscenes are fine but if they're the same MGS2 caliber bullshit i am going to probably come away disappointed with this game. :(

Even keen students of Metal Gear lore are going to struggle to follow this tangled tale. Laden with sentimental sermons and metaphors for the evils of war, struggling under the weight of the resolving the plots of four previous games and the personal destinies of characters as diverse as Raiden, Meryl, Naomi, Vamp and Eva, it is in all honesty a mess. Motivation and consistency fall by the wayside and by the end it's totally unclear who is on which side, or what's at stake. Maybe that's deliberate, but it doesn't work, and the hours of talking-head exposition involved are too steep a price to pay for this muddled closure.

BlueTsunami said:

I like the way you think, sir.

Posted this in the Edge thread, might as well post it here too:

MGS4 getting some scores like this was going to happen, it always happens cause there are just some people that dont like the style of game MGS is. Oh well.

What worries me as a fan is that the story will be as bloated as MGS2, which seems all but confirmed. I hope its paced well cause that hurt MGS2. Gameplay I am sure it will be as good if not better than MGS3, seems like there is a ton of it as well. I am worried at this thing that happens at the middle of the game that changes everything, seems like the Edge guy did not like it. Every review mentions this is not the game we expect so something crazy goes on, hopefully its for the best.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
BlockBastard said:
What does S3 stand for?

no fucking cheating! Don't even think about using google - I'll know.
Selection for Societal Sanity!

You could argue that it Solid Snake Simulation is part of S3. The real S3 plan (Selection for Societal Sanity), is the pkan to control human will. Making the events on the Plant very similar to those of shadow moses is an example of how the patriots used this plan to control what humans do. They made raiden go through the same things snake went through at shadow moses. Raidens mission on the Plant was basically a test by the patriots to see if they could create the conditions to affect or control human will without them knowing.

Deepblue

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
I don't really care that much about scores themselves, especially not in this case. GTA IV is appealing to much bigger public than MGS, so it deserves 10 in a way.

I hate how the game gets singled out because of the way reviews panned out, and now MGS4 is apparently being scolded for the very same reason.

Look at HALO 3, it got months of coverage from most sources, massive hype and tons upon tons of perfect scores, yet it wasn't really that much of an achievement. I didn't see people complaining about the massive press kit which was worth 700$.

Edge got one of those as well, they wrote a glowing review for HALO 3.

How the hell would you know what Halo 3 "deserved" when it's quite clear that you haven't played it for yourself. Same with MGS4. You're a presumptious fanboy who's having a mini-meltdown over the trivialties of a freakin' NUMBER. WHY does it matter what reviews your favorite game gets if you still enjoy it? So please, STFU and enjoy.

FabCam

Deepblue said:
How the hell would you know what Halo 3 "deserved" when it's quite clear that you haven't played it for yourself. Same with MGS4. You're a presumptious fanboy who's having a mini-meltdown over the trivialties of a freakin' NUMBER. WHY does it matter what reviews your favorite game gets if you still enjoy it? So please, STFU and enjoy.

Why do you keep fueling the flames? Just let it go.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
sooo who here wasnt in the beta but is REAAAALLY looking forward to mgo?

also, are we gunna use this thread for mgo discussion or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom