• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Well with two 8's now from respected publications i guess this isnt the greatest thing ever, but hopefully it's still good enough to warrent me buying a ps3. It better be.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
~Kinggi~ said:
Well with two 8's now from respected publications i guess this isnt the greatest thing ever, but hopefully it's still good enough to warrent me buying a ps3. It better be.
havn't played it yet but...

WRONG

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Anyone planning on buying the LE hardcover strategy guide? I usually wait til after completing a game to purchase guides (for the artwork/bios/easter eggs) but I don't think I want to chance them being sold out and discontinued. Will it be worth it for the hard cover? The only difference besides the hard cover is a behind the scenes chapter... correct?

It also comes with an 8 x 10 lithograph according to Amazon. I'm planning to get it although I haven't decided where from yet. I really like the cover of the regular version too though.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

I reallllllyyy hate how Konami is handling the LE in Europe. It's going to be basically impossible to find one in here Ireland. I'll have to hope for one on Ebay. :(

Mromson

Ninja Kn1ght said:
It also comes with an 8 x 10 lithograph according to Amazon. I'm planning to get it althoug hI haven't decided where from yet. I really like the cover of the regular version too though.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

I reallllllyyy hate how Konami is handling the LE in Europe. It's going to be basically impossible to find one in here Ireland. I'll have to hope for one on Ebay. :(
Oh dear GOD you poor creature. :(

Ninja Kn1ght said:
It also comes with an 8 x 10 lithograph according to Amazon. I'm planning to get it although I haven't decided where from yet. I really like the cover of the regular version too though.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I'll probably get it as well. Just hope I can avoid using it during my first playthrough. Don't want to come across anything I didn't want to witness before it happens. I also don't want to start playing it as a "game"... meaning: I don't want to start trying to collect everything and avoid moving on thus ruining my initial experience.

Here's the Edge review in a capsule:

- great AI
- multiple ways to approach the missions
- great controls
- great shooting
- too complicated story for newcomers
- lengthy cut scenes
- simplicity of some objectives
- the game isn't what it could have been or should have been, but no reason is stated
- game doesn't appeal to reviewers who didn't enjoy MGS2's ending (refers to himself)
- score is apparently better than in new hollywood movies, fitting in perfectly with action
- Liquid Ocelot is a superb villain
- maps are a trifle small
- game encourages explorative play by hiding items in every hidden corner
- the arsenal is humongous, you can build different Snake over and over again
- again, there are tons of different ways to play
- Drebin points are a proper way of incorporating weapon collecting
- Otacon is being described as a gaming (non interactive) revolution, due to the way he looks and acts, he's called a star of MGS4
- iPod is a great addition, especially for fans
- this game is made for fans "...If you sat in lockers while footsteps came and went, or basked in codec conversations without once checking your watch, MGS4 is your just reward"
- using mkII is essential for stealth gameplay
- amazing visuals, only flaw is that textures look significantly worse up close

"With enough exposition for a dozen games, the epic mission briefings at least keep your senses busy, wit advanced camera control and, through the MkII droid, the chance to hunt for Easter egg and equipment".

This review is actually a glowing review written by a non fan.

Dever

Banned
GalacticAE said:
I'm glad I didn't see those fake ads or whatever since they're a part of the intro. I'd rather see them when I first play the game.

Same here. I also haven't listened to the soundtrack.

Sorry to re-post, but isn't there some deal at GameStop going on or coming soon where if you trade in a PS2, Memory Card, and a Controller towards a PS3, you get $80?

Bishman

Edge review sounds perfect to me. I can understand if you are not a big MGS fan but I am so hell yeah.

And amazing thread by the OP. Best game thread ever in GAF history!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ToyMachine228 said:
Sorry to re-post, but isn't there some deal at GameStop going on or coming soon where if you trade in a PS2, Memory Card, and a Controller towards a PS3, you get $80?

It's going on now.

Ephemeris

Ceb said:
Don't read the OPM review - it kinda spoils the final mission.

Good thing I had an interruption and came here. Could have been tragic =/

BruceLeeRoy said:
Ill see if I can find some more in-depth stuff I never finished it so its the only game I couldn't really check on.

Thanks for your service.

snack said:
If you could elaborate on the S3 Plan that would be great. That was the one thing that I didn't fully understand after reading your summary. If you could just clarify what the Patriots main goal of the S3 plan, what information did they acquire, and for what purpose, that would clear some stuff up for me. Also, what exactly was the true purpose of the S3 plan, was it to create their own Solid Snake, or was it to control the flow of data using GW?

No problem

DKnight said:
I hope the FoxDie bit is not a fucking spoiler. Or else...

Nope man pretty basic knowledge read about it in the OP.

Baha

How much is eb games selling the hardcover mgs4 strategy guide? The artbook came with a $5 off coupon so it might be worth it.

Bishman said:
Edge review sounds perfect to me. I can understand if you are not a big MGS fan but I am so hell yeah.

And amazing thread by the OP. Best game thread ever in GAF history!

Yeah, it basically just sounds like if you aren't a big fan of the series then it's a possibility that you aren't going to enjoy it as those big fans. I say possibility, because the P:TOM reviewer said he isn't a MG fan at all and MGS4 is now in his top 10 favorite games ever.

Interestingly, while people are using the Eurogamer and Edge reviews as a way to downplay the game, those reviews actually contradict each other.

Mets39 said:
Ok, i'm confuse now :lol
"...action here is remarkably open, the AI honouring all kinds of approach. Opt for stealth[...] and the battle focuses on chokepoints and patrol paths. Side with the militia, firing at PMC, and the call goes out for reinforcements, waves of enemies sucking down your bullets. Judgements are saved for when the game is over, prompting you to do things differently across multiple difficulty levels. Factor in the twin bars [...] and you have a game fit for months instead of days."

Baha

neojubei said:
You got the artbook?

Yeah, I already mentioned it but the EB Games in the Eaton Centre (Toronto) has them. Just show them your LE pre-order receipt.

It seems there's a hardcover version, or at least that's what the coupon states

- A frame-ready 8x10 Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots Lithograph
- Exclusive bonus content written on-site at Kojima Productions in Japan (??)
- Stunning hardcover packaging

Baha said:
Yeah, I already mentioned it but the EB Games in the Eaton Centre (Toronto) has them. Just show them your LE pre-order receipt.

Damnit! Why did i cancel my preorder in hopes of going to NYC!? :(

Oh well, hopefully the Limited Edition that's being shipped has it :)

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Baha said:

Sweet, I'll definitely buy this now.

Mets39

Ynos Yrros said:
"...action here is remarkably open, the AI honouring all kinds of approach. Opt for stealth[...] and the battle focuses on chokepoints and patrol paths. Side with the militia, firing at PMC, and the call goes out for reinforcements, waves of enemies sucking down your bullets. Judgements are saved for when the game is over, prompting you to do things differently across multiple difficulty levels. Factor in the twin bars [...] and you have a game fit for months instead of days."

Thanks for the quote! But my confusion come from others reviews i have read that mentionned "Bad IA" (Many found that the IA hasn't really evovlved since the PS2 games)

Ephemeris

Baha said:

Fortunately, it sounds like the one I preordered on the 19th --> http://www.amazon.com/dp/076155968X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Product Description
The definitive Metal Gear Solid 4 Limited Edition Collector’s Guide — boasting a hard cover and a frame-ready 8 x 10 lithograph, as well as an exclusive behind the scenes chapter written on-site at Kojima Productions in Tokyo. The guide itself is 100% complete. With the aid of complete 3D maps, the Walkthrough leads you through the entire game covering all optional tasks and secrets as they become available. As the story plays such an important role in the game, the guide features short "Flashback" box-outs that briefly introduce characters as they appear. At over 200 pages, the guide includes a dedicated chapter on Basics, Controls, Items, Weapons, Camouflage, Enemies, Secrets and Metal Gear Online. Containing original and exclusive artwork, no stone is left unturned in this epic guide.

Price: $19.49

Ephemeris

Guled said:
my eb games (canada) has the art book, but they won't give it to me until I pick the game up on June 12 :(
That sucks. May I recommend:
x14030.jpg

I'm sure they'll come around.

Baha said:
The one on amazon IS the hardcover, because you save like 10-12 dollars for pre-ordering it.

On Amazon it's described as paperback though.

edit: in the detauls section it does say it has a hardcover. Weird. As long as it's the same as the one at EB/GS, it doesn't matter.

Ephemeris

Valkyr Junkie said:
On Amazon it's described as paperback though.

edit: in the detauls section it does say it has a hardcover. Weird. As long as it's the same as the one at EB/GS, it doesn't matter.

Yeah I noticed that. Fingers crossed. : /

TemplaerDude said:
are the cutscenes really as long as i've heard?

that kind of makes me want the game. i like watching cut scenes.

Edge and PSM3 says the game does have 90 minute cutscenes while TTP and GamePro say it doesn't. So I guess it just depends on who you choose to believe. Although TTP and GamePro both mentioned that it does have long cutscenes, just not 90 minutes long.

SolidSnakex said:
Edge and PSM3 says the game does have 90 minute cutscenes while TTP and GamePro say it doesn't. So I guess it just depends on who you choose to believe. Although TTP and GamePro both mentioned that it does have long cutscenes, just not 90 minutes long.
Edge review also mentions the 2 hours long MGS2 ending sequence. It's entirely possible that when he says 90 minutes cut scene he means 90 minutes long sequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom