• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BlockBastard said:
I will burn a one dollar bill if
Snake dies via anything else but suicide

I am THAT confident in my conclusion.
You're doing it all wrong:
Snake WON'T die.

Note that the "spoilers" above is just my speculation :)

Seiken said:
You're doing it all wrong:
Snake WON'T die.

Note that the "spoilers" above is just my speculation :)
Ooh I think he will, like this:
Gungrave-style, him and Liquid.
I'm laying it down right here.

(^speculation!)

Darkpen

Banned
frAntic_Frog said:
i tend to agree....they've been playing that we-are-hardcore-cuz-we-only-give-out-7s-and-8s bullcrap for a long time now.
that sounds oddly like the description for old gamespot

Orlics said:
WAT

Edge had the most awesome MGS4 preview out there and you have the nerve to call them trash?
I have that issue. My local Borders apparently imports Edge D: I had to pick it up for the cover alone, so sweet.

jonnyp said:
EDGE, EGM and Eurogamer are all trash. Surely no-one gets surprised anymore when they underscore PS3 games and overscore 360 games?
quiet, junior. I don't see why IGN isn't listed there either, but oh wait, they gave MGS4 9.9/10. Gee, I wonder who's opinion here isn't biased.

In all honesty, from what I gleaned from the Eurogamer review, the dude comes off pretty pretentious. The one thing I don't like about these reviews for sequels for games is when the writer either points out that its "more of what you expect" as a good thing or a bad thing. Why even mention that? Its the fourth god damned installment.

GTAIV says hi.

I expect high numbers from all publications, but if you ask me, I'm pretty butt-hurt about IGN UK's 9.9

I mean, seriously, are you kidding me? 9.9? What the hell is that?

And finally, I like EDGE's magazine layout. Its pretty sleek.

Barrett2

FabCam said:
EDGE has been trash for years. Their reviewing system sucks and is totally unpredictable. Whilst their previews are sometimes good, they are almost always old. The writing is just generally bad too.

You know, I love Edge, but I sort of agree with you on the writing. Maybe it's a cultural difference, (I am American, Edge is British), but I often find Edge's writing style to be overly vague and obtuse. Their game reviews especially will often focus in on overly-specific or random elements of the game, end abruptly, etc.

Klone.K

90 minute cutscene quote from EDGE

'The cutscenes here are sure to invoke that thousand yard stare, two inparticular coming perilously close to the 90 minute mark. but thats the price of admission - they can be paused skipped now, but at the cost of half of the experience - which for the fanswill seem more like a gift.'

Darkpen

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
Why do people brag about GTA IV here? Or MGS4? Here:

LINK

HALO 3 got 10 from Edge.
I'm not bragging. I'm pointing out how retarded these scores are, yet at the same time, I'm outright flustered by these stupid scores.

And you know what would have prevented this stupidity and anger?

If IGN didn't do something as unprecedented as giving GTAIV a god damned perfect score, I wouldn't be so hot and bothered. Now, we have MGS4 w/ a 9.9, and a 9.5 in replay value being the one thing that's keeping it from getting that perfect score. I mean, what the fuck. Seriously?

FabCam

Opus Angelorum said:
Could not be more wrong.

No I'm not. They try to be all grown up and pretend they're sophisticated when actually they're very vague and dumb. They used to be the only mag I bought, but now I stay away.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Considering that Kojima seems to have jumped back to MGS2 levels of craziness, I'm not surprised by the scores. It does seem, however, that the amount of codec time is still much less than MGS2.

Darkpen said:
I'm not bragging. I'm pointing out how retarded these scores are, yet at the same time, I'm outright flustered by these stupid scores.

If IGN didn't do something as unprecedented as giving GTAIV a god damned perfect score, I wouldn't be so hot and bothered. Now, we have MGS4 w/ a 9.9, and a 9.5 in replay value being the one thing that's keeping it from getting that perfect score. I mean, what the fuck. Seriously?
I don't really care that much about scores themselves, especially not in this case. GTA IV is appealing to much bigger public than MGS, so it deserves 10 in a way.

I hate how the game gets singled out because of the way reviews panned out, and now MGS4 is apparently being scolded for the very same reason.

Look at HALO 3, it got months of coverage from most sources, massive hype and tons upon tons of perfect scores, yet it wasn't really that much of an achievement. I didn't see people complaining about the massive press kit which was worth 700$.

Edge got one of those as well, they wrote a glowing review for HALO 3.

Thrakier

Darkpen said:

And don't forget that in all GTA4 reviews the (not so great) multipayer-part has an important role. It's completly ignored for MGS at the moment. I think it adds a bit to the overall experience after you finished the game, does it?

Thrakier said:
And don't forget that in all GTA4 reviews the (not so great) multipayer-part has an important role. It's completly ignored for MGS at the moment. I think it adds a bit to the overall experience after you finished the game, does it?

I'll say this, GTAIV's multiplayer is built into the game, while MGS4's is completely seperate which is why it wasn't reviewed I'm guessing. Makes sense. With that said, GTAIV definitely didn't deserve 10/10 imo. Great game solid 9 to 9.5/10, but not perfect. I'm sure MGS4 isn't perfect either. I was more concerned about the text in the reviews more than the final score.

twofold

frAntic_Frog said:
i tend to agree....they've been playing that we-are-hardcore-cuz-we-only-give-out-7s-and-8s bullcrap for a long time now.

So you know, Edge has given out four 10s in the last 12~ or so months.

Has it been confirmed whether it's possible to fast forward/save in the middle of cutscenes?

Thrakier

Choke on the Magic said:
I'll say this, GTAIV's multiplayer is built into the game, while MGS4's is completely seperate which is why it wasn't reviewed I'm guessing. Makes sense. With that said, GTAIV definitely didn't deserve 10/10 imo. Great game solid 9 to 9.5/10, but not perfect. I'm sure MGS4 isn't perfect either. I was more concerned about the text in the reviews more than the final score.

Oh, MGO comes with the game. Just because it's called "starter pack" it doesn't mean that it's completly seperate. As far as I know there are five Maps and several game modes, this is on par with other multiplayer games.

Thrakier said:
Oh, MGO comes with the game. Just because it's called "starter pack" it doesn't mean that it's completly seperate. As far as I know there are five Maps and several game modes, this is on par with other multiplayer games.

I understand that, but it's not as if it's built into MGS4. You still start it seperate from the XMB I think. That's my thought's on it. If it turns out I'm wrong and it is built into MGS4 then yeah, they should have put MGO in the review. My opinion has nothing to do with it being a "starter pack". I know some have tried to play it off like it's some half ass multiplayer when it's quite the opposite.

twofold said:
So you know, Edge has given out four 10s in the last 12~ or so months.

Has it been confirmed whether it's possible to fast forward/save in the middle of cutscenes?
as far as I know you can only pause or skip cutscenes. I doubt saving will be an option seeing that it has to be done via codec.

dark10x said:
Considering that Kojima seems to have jumped back to MGS2 levels of craziness, I'm not surprised by the scores. It does seem, however, that the amount of codec time is still much less than MGS2.

I don't think we'll see anymore jarring plot-twists and deep philosophical lessons buried underneath MGS4, though. I fully expect this game to be a straight-forward story about a legendary hero on his last legs.

The ending will make grown men cry.

eso76

BlockBastard said:
That's what they want you to think.

or what you're saying is what they want you to think:
making you believe they wanted you to believe it doesn't happen, so you think it happens but it actually...doesn't !
and it can go on forever.
So it could be either way, except for the fact people, even those who wouldn't expect the ending to be like this, would be pissed if it actually happened, because they've seen it in trailers already

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BlockBastard said:
I don't think we'll see anymore jarring plot-twists and deep philosophical lessons buried underneath MGS4, though. I fully expect this game to be a straight-forward story about a legendary hero on his last legs.

The ending will make grown men cry.
I hope there will be more codec in MGS4 than MGS2 :(... Am I dumb?

zoukka

FabCam said:
No I'm not. They try to be all grown up and pretend they're sophisticated when actually they're very vague and dumb. They used to be the only mag I bought, but now I stay away.

You are just full of it. Calling EDGE:s writing bad and immature just shows you have never read the damn paper. The preview was awesome and I can't wait to read the review.

I don't think we'll see anymore jarring plot-twists and deep philosophical lessons buried underneath MGS4, though.

Over 90 minute demos tend to disagree.

eso76 said:
or what you're saying is what they want you to think:
making you believe they wanted you to believe it doesn't happen, so you think it happens but it actually...doesn't !
and it can go on forever.
So it could be either way, except for the fact people, even those who wouldn't expect the ending to be like this, would be pissed if it actually happened, because they've seen it in trailers already

Personally, I would love that ending. Old man Snake should go out on his own terms.

FabCam

zoukka said:
You are just full of it. Calling EDGE:s writing bad and immature just shows you have never read the damn paper. The preview was awesome and I can't wait to read the review.

Can't say I've read the MGS4 preview as I canceled my subscription before then. But in general, their writing is pretty bad. It's the same with pretty much all multi platform magazines. That's why I only buy official magazines, they cut out all of this system war bullshit and review a game as a stand alone piece of software instead of looking what a similar game on another system got.

Darkpen

Banned
Choke on the Magic said:
I understand that, but it's not as if it's built into MGS4. You still start it seperate from the XMB I think. That's my thought's on it. If it turns out I'm wrong and it is built into MGS4 then yeah, they should have put MGO in the review. My opinion has nothing to do with it being a "starter pack". I know some have tried to play it off like it's some half ass multiplayer when it's quite the opposite.

as far as I know you can only pause or skip cutscenes. I doubt saving will be an option seeing that it has to be done via codec.
You access MGO through the disc

zoukka said:

Over 90 minute demos tend to disagree.

plot-twists? Maybe. But philosophical stuff? How does having long cut scenes say that they're gonna bury some deep life lessons beneath them? Anyway, I actually prefer MGS2's way of story telling so it's not like I'm one of those people that thought it was utter trash. But from what they're hyping the game up to be, it seems more and more unlikely that we'll get another out of this world plot-twist.

Seiken said:
I hope there will be more codec in MGS4 than MGS2 :(... Am I dumb?

I personally love the codecs too. As long as they don't use it too much to drive story sequences, I say go all out with the codec stuff. I think it's a blast calling everyone on your support-team during random moments in the game and hearing how the react - so much attention to detail. :D

Darkpen said:
You access MGO through the disc

Straight up? I stand corrected. I figured you'd dl the game from the disc and would start it from the XMB seperately like Warhawk, but in this case yeah they should have included it in the reviews. Another example of how I think reviews would be better if there was more of a standard.

Choke on the Magic said:
Straight up? I stand corrected. I figured you'd dl the game from the disc and would start it from the XMB seperately like Warhawk, but in this case yeah they should have included it in the reviews. Another example of how I think reviews would be better if there was more of a standard.

Dood, every review so far has made no mention of MGO. This is most likely a request from Konami themselves.

FabCam

Choke on the Magic said:

I think the main reason it wasn't part of the reviews is that it wasn't ready. According to OPM it was still being tweaked and balanced when they got their MGS4 review code, s they couldn't review it.

Dood, every review so far has made no mention of MGO. This is most likely a request from Konami themselves.

It's 'coz it wasn't ready to review.

Laurent

Have we stated that the
suicide
is not considerated spoilers anymore? I don't mind, it was shown at least twice or three times in the trailers, but I just want to be clear that we are on the same page...

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
BlockBastard said:

Now we assume everything not said is now a request? If it was, then why wasn't it in the blog?

Thrakier

Choke on the Magic said:

It doesn't matter if you start it from xmb or through the game. It only matters that you don't have to pay more and that it is a part of the package.

neojubei said:
Now we assume everything not said is now a request? If it was, then why wasn't it in the blog?

I've been saying that since the whole MTV debacle if you check the earlier portions of this thread. Wasn't implying that they don't want it reviewed because it sucks, I'm thinking that they really want the public to perceive it as a stand alone game so it's gonna get its separate review.

edit: shit typing.

longdi

Banned
dark10x said:

That is disappointing. What happened to Kojima talk about HL2 in game cutscenes? In fact anyone knows what was the OOE Kojima was bery excited about? Or about the Country A and Country B ongoing war?

I love MGS3 cutscenes, they were good and to the point. In fact, MGS2 is the odd one out when Kojima decided to take liberties with MGS themes.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
'The cutscenes here are sure to invoke that thousand yard stare, two inparticular coming perilously close to the 90 minute mark. but thats the price of admission - they can be paused skipped now, but at the cost of half of the experience - which for the fanswill seem more like a gift.'
I posted this in the EDGE thread but I think it got lost with all the bickering over the score. I think that the reason for this 90 minute figure is because MGS4 has several sequences like the end of MGS3, where the player has input and some control over the character, but everything plays out how it's supposed to. Some reviewers might consider these part of the cutscene and not actual gameplay.

Mets39

tbh, i was sure Edge will give MGS4 a 7 or less ... But 8 is pretty good, especially since it's the same score as MGS2 and MGS3!

edit:

oh, nevermind, find it:

- Opening act is the best part
- Not a game for MGS outsiders
- two cut-scenes near the 90 minute mark
- The Beauty and the Beast Unit are in the shadow of the MGS3 Cobra Unit.
- Camera flow effortless between 1st and 3rd person view
- Control system has "at last" the ideal balance of intuitvness and range.
- Game can be played for months rather than days.
- MGS4 is not the game it could of been, nor the game it should have been if you believed the early trailers (??)
- But is very faithful to its fans and delivers without equal in so many ways.

thanks to Roxas

Thrakier said:
It doesn't matter if you start it from xmb or through the game. It only matters that you don't have to pay more and that it is a part of the package.

Was just my theory of why they may have not reviewed with MGS4. Now it seems it's because it wasn't ready so it couldn't be reviewed. Don't really care at this point, I just want the damn game already. June 12th can't come soon enough.

Kibbles said:
Yes, lets all bash the magazine now because their opinion is different than yours. *rollseyes*

Why do people always say shit like this? If your opinion on games don't match up with magazines on various different games, then wouldn't it make sense for you not to like them simply because you view of what a great game is doesn't match what their view is?

Thrakier

Mets39 said:

This bothers me a lot. Do they mean the first gameplay sequence (desert) or the opening movie? Anway, it's never good if the first thing is the best thing.

Yoshichan

Thrakier said:
This bothers me a lot. Do they mean the first gameplay sequence (desert) or the opening movie? Anway, it's never good if the first thing is the best thing.
Don't worry. Swedish LEVEL (gave it a 10) said that the game was just as good from start to end.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Mets39 said:
tbh, i was sure Edge will give MGS4 a 7 or less ... But 8 is pretty good, especially since it's the same score as MGS2 and MGS3!

edit:

oh, nevermind, find it:

- Not a game for MGS outsiders
- two cut-scenes near the 90 minute mark
- The Beauty and the Beast Unit are in the shadow of the MGS3 Cobra Unit.
- Camera flow effortless between 1st and 3rd person view
- Control system has "at last" the ideal balance of intuitvness and range.
- Game can be played for months rather than days.
- MGS4 is not the game it could of been, nor the game it should have been if you believed the early trailers (??)
- But is very faithful to its fans and delivers without equal in so many ways.

thanks to Roxas
What is that meant to mean? The first trailer I saw gave me the same impression of the game as the last few trailers I've watched have.

Baha

Thrakier said:

Why not? A lot of people complain about video games that require so & so amount of hours before it gets good. Might as well start the game with a bang. Those who really enjoy the series will play it all the way through anyway.

Mets39

Thrakier said:

it's their personnal thought and it's the first time i read the opening part was better! So i guess there will be a lot differents opinion on this MGS! (maybe more than precedents!)

NeoUltima

Ynos Yrros said:
I expect A, B- and B from EGM.
Letting the EG and Edge reviews bring your expectations down? Edge always reviews harshly...and oddly. They also gave Bioshock an 8 and that was EGM's GOTY. And that EG review seemed to be....well you know, not going to make this thread about that again.

Basically the only problems I've seen noted in reviews are long cutscenes and a convoluted story, which are staples of MGS anyways. Also, Skip is on the EGM review crew for MGS4, and he gave MGS3 a 10(converted to A+ now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom