• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibbles

I meant to post this in the EDGE Magazine thread, but I guess it fits here as well. I'm just saying - they played the game, you guys have not - you shouldn't bash the entire magazine's quality and credibility just based off the fact that one of their reviewer's may not have enjoyed it as much as you will. Who knows, maybe when the game comes out and you read the article you might actually agree (or disagree) with him/her. MGS4 will be a great game, but you really shouldn't let blind fanboyism drag you down to that level. Just wait to play the game for yourself, maybe it'll be a masterpiece and you can trash they guy all you want, but remember it's just his opinion. I'm not good at explaining things so I'll shut up now.

I have a question for you PS3 owners, as I'll be borrowing a PS3 from a friend the day the game comes out.

When I eventually do get a PS3, what is the process like for transfering game saves/ps3 profiles to other systems? I'd like to keep my progress if possible.

Mets39 said:
- Opening act is the best part

So basically it's MGS2? I doubt it.

Jimmy Stav said:
I have a question for you PS3 owners, as I'll be borrowing a PS3 from a friend the day the game comes out.

When I eventually do get a PS3, what is the process like for transfering game saves/ps3 profiles to other systems? I'd like to keep my progress if possible.

Thumb drive is all you need.

Mets39

psycho_snake said:
What is that meant to mean? The first trailer I saw gave me the same impression of the game as the last few trailers I've watched have.

i'm pretty sure it's a reference to the "No Place To Hide"

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Baha said:
Why not? A lot of people complain about video games that require so & so amount of hours before it gets good. Might as well start the game with a bang. Those who really enjoy the series will play it all the way through anyway.
But you don't want it to start off brilliantly and have the rest of the game be not as good. Obviously fans will play all the way through, but they don't want it to start off brilliantly and then not be as goo later on.

So far only 1 review has said that, so its nothing to worry about. I cant see that being true. Every MGS game gets better the further you progress. This will do the same.

lackey

- Not a game for MGS outsiders

mgs series was never a series for everyone, some loved it and some hated it. an 8 score from someone whom isn't particularly in the former is excellent! just like the eurogamer reviewer, he doesn't seem like he loved the previous installment so again an 8 score from those ppl are awesome news!

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Mets39 said:
i'm pretty sure it's a reference to the "No Place To Hide"
I see. The game looks so open though. Judging from what we've seen, it looks like you could play this game by fighting in the open rather than hiding.

Kibbles said:
I meant to post this in the EDGE Magazine thread, but I guess it fits here as well. I'm just saying - they played the game, you guys have not - you shouldn't bash the entire magazine's quality and credibility just based off the fact that one of their reviewer's may not have enjoyed it as much as you will.

Well as far as bashing the entire magazine goes, I don't really agree with Edge on much so that's the main reason I don't think they have much credibility, at least to me. However some seem to worship the ground they walk on. To me they're the Pitchfork Media of the gaming world. And that's not a good thing.

- MGS4 is not the game it could of been, nor the game it should have been if you believed the early trailers (??)

See, this is bad. It seriously irks me when reviewers don't look at a game for what it is and instead think of (often frivolous) "coulda, shoulda" things. It's like Gametrailers Ninja Gaiden II review saying there should've been online play in that game. And the early trailers for MGS4 didn't explicitly promise anything.

Rainy Dog

psycho_snake said:
What is that meant to mean? The first trailer I saw gave me the same impression of the game as the last few trailers I've watched have.

They said the very first trailer, not trailers. The 2006 one. They're absolutely right though. Rewatched it myself a few weeks back and there's no denying it betters any of the subsequent trailers by some margin from a technical standpoint. And artistically. The contrast and green tint looks beautiful. Wish they'd had at least kept that look, but hey.

The Edge review is positive though, not worth fussing over the score. They've never been unapologetic fans. It's not the Eurogamer review.

Mets39

psycho_snake said:
I see. The game looks so open though. Judging from what we've seen, it looks like you could play this game by fighting in the open rather than hiding.

Agreed! But remember when MGS4 was unveiled, Kojima was talking about all the things the PS3 allowed them to do, and the "No Place To Hide" suggest that the game would have destructible environement. But for some reasons, it's not the case.
Don't know why Edge pointed that out though ...

Red Blaster said:
See, this is bad. It seriously irks me when reviewers don't look at a game for what it is and instead think of (often frivolous) "coulda, shoulda" things. It's like Gametrailers Ninja Gaiden II review saying there should've been online play in that game. And the early trailers for MGS4 didn't explicitly promise anything.

I also don't think it's anyone place to tell the developer what their game should have been. When you see that a game obviously tries to do some stuff and fail, that's fine - you can call that out. But saying 'it shouldn't have been like this' as one of your negatives..it just sounds wrong. Judge a game for a game for what it is, not for what you personally, would have liked it to have been.

Tideas

Banned
So, can we please move away from damage control (EG is harsh...EDge is harsh, blah blah is harsh)

and get back to the friging excitement I can't contain?

Dude, it's only 2 weeks away. From its first appearance. To now.

This is EPIC defined!

Tideas said:
So, can we please move away from damage control (EG is harsh...EDge is harsh, blah blah is harsh)

This is EPIC defined!

3 weeks over here.

I hate you. I fucking hate you.

HATE

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
hey i wanna be a part of the ps3 sales spike in June so if i buy a ps3 in June will i be in the npd numbers?

ya this is ridiculous i know.

Tideas said:

This is EPIC defined!

Well people have to do something to kill time until it gets here. :p I'm thinking about finally getting around to watching episodes of Eureka.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Mets39 said:
hey guys, what about a MGS quizz, to kill time :p
"Who are the Patriots?!

Who are the Patriots?!"

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BlockBastard said:
What does S3 stand for?

no fucking cheating! Don't even think about using google - I'll know.
Solid Snake Simulation!

Oh wait.

Yoshichan

BlockBastard said:
That's almost Ocelots quote, isn't it? :lol
-COOLIO- said:
solid snake simulation?
Actually, it stands for something else :p

Narcosis

-COOLIO- said:
hey i wanna be a part of the ps3 sales spike in June so if i buy a ps3 in June will i be in the npd numbers?

ya this is ridiculous i know.

If GTA didn't spike PS3, what makes you think Metal Gear will? (I guess the return of the 80 gig helps somewhat, but not necessarily anything due to MGS4)

Mets39

BlockBastard said:
What does S3 stand for?

That was a test from the patriots to verify if they can still control the information! right :p

psycho_snake said:

maybe the first trailers taked about there was no place to hide.. the first trailer (on ps2) even hinted at destructable environments. appearently it's not that hard to hide at all...
(but that's just from what others said..so, i don't know)

Kibbles said:
I meant to post this in the EDGE Magazine thread, but I guess it fits here as well. I'm just saying - they played the game, you guys have not - you shouldn't bash the entire magazine's quality and credibility just based off the fact that one of their reviewer's may not have enjoyed it as much as you will. Who knows, maybe when the game comes out and you read the article you might actually agree (or disagree) with him/her. MGS4 will be a great game, but you really shouldn't let blind fanboyism drag you down to that level. Just wait to play the game for yourself, maybe it'll be a masterpiece and you can trash they guy all you want, but remember it's just his opinion. I'm not good at explaining things so I'll shut up now.
We should actually. The magazine has no consistency what so ever, and they wrote a glowing review for HALO 3, after receiving 700$ worth of goodies in the press kit, despite it being far from a revolutionary game (which it should be if it were to get a 10 if they are actually harsh reviewers).

Yoshichan

NeoUltima said:
I know two of the S's are selection and society.

Instant Noodles.
The last one is Sanity ;)

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Narcosis said:
If GTA didn't spike PS3, what makes you think Metal Gear will? (I guess the return of the 80 gig helps somewhat, but not necessarily anything due to MGS4)
this one is a ps3 exclusive.

that and i think metal gear is more of a system seller in this case. Crazy but i got a feeling

Ynos Yrros said:
We should actually. The magazine has no consistency what so ever, and they wrote a glowing review for HALO 3, after receiving 700$ worth of goodies in the press kit, despite it being far from a revolutionary game (which it should be if it were to get a 10 if they are actually harsh reviewers).

:lol at the notion of EDGE giving a game a 10 for $700 of cheap Halo swag. You fanboys are out of your damned minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom