• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Deepblue said:
How the hell would you know what Halo 3 "deserved" when it's quite clear that you haven't played it for yourself. Same with MGS4. You're a presumptious fanboy who's having a mini-meltdown over the trivialties of a freakin' NUMBER. WHY does it matter what reviews your favorite game gets if you still enjoy it? So please, STFU and enjoy.
ugh, this has been said enough but hell, some people feel like critiquing critisicm, so what?

besides arnt you an infamous halo fanboy?

elcapitan

(Negative) prerelease reviews leave such a bad taste in official hype threads. Thread gets derailed with attacks and defenders on some random publication.

Just think back to the earlier MGS games, take a look at the new trailers, and listen to some MGS tracks. All will be well come June 12th. After all, Kojima made this for the fans.

Its interesting to me that the game seems to be a little less loved in Europe but I always thought it sold really well there?

Anyways the game is going to be incredible I think the only reason some of us get upset by the reviews is cause a lot of
people only buy games in the 9 or 10 area and the thought of MGS not selling units to people that could love it and cause
the game deserves it really just.....sucks.

But to those of us that have been through this long series how amazing is this game going to be.

I mean honestly Solid Snake as a character is one of the most interesting video game creations we have ever gotten to
take a hold of and David Hayters voice has become so comforting to me all these years.

This game will be incredible dont worry we will all be splooging crying man hugging and holding. I just cant wait 2 more
weeks for the end of a childhood friend for the end of Snake.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
elcapitan said:
Prerelease reviews leave such a bad taste in official hype threads. Just think back to the earlier MGS games, take a look at the new trailers, and listen to some MGS tracks. All will be well come June 12th.
waht? for the most parts arnt these reviews generating hype? (apart from edge and euro)

YYZ

Baha said:
Ok I picked up the artbook. EB games Eaton centre has them :)
what's the deal with the artbook? Are you supposed to pick one up on June 12 if you pre-ordered the game?

Baha

YYZ said:
what's the deal with the artbook? Are you supposed to pick one up on June 12 if you pre-ordered the game?

Nope, if you pre-ordered the Limited Edition, just show your receipt and you can pick one up.

Also..
Any Items you think would benefit the OP or would help us get through
the long haul please let me know. On Monday I will be doing a big update
with the tour info and other stuff so if there is anything I should add just
PM me.

Mromson

elcapitan said:
Prerelease reviews leave such a bad taste in official hype threads. Just think back to the earlier MGS games, take a look at the new trailers, and listen to some MGS tracks. All will be well come June 12th.
On the bright side. It's good to read a very negative review of the game before a release. Just look at them, trying (and failing) to point out any real flaws in MGS4. If anything, they've made me want the game far more than the perfect 10's out there - though it doesn't make me any less pissed at the scores below 9.0/10.

Ephemeris

Baha said:
Ok I picked up the artbook. EB games Eaton centre has them :)

Anyone in the states got it yet?

BruceLeeRoy said:
Also..
Any Items you think would benefit the OP or would help us get through
the long haul please let me know. On Monday I will be doing a big update
with the tour info and other stuff so if there is anything I should add just
PM me.

Can you add some portable ops info? o_O

elcapitan

Mromson said:
On the bright side. It's good to read a very negative review of the game before a release. Just look at them, trying (and failing) to point out any real flaws in MGS4. If anything, they've made me want the game far more than the perfect 10's out there - though it doesn't make me any less pissed at the scores below 9.0/10.

Yeah, nice to know that some of their negatives are the very things I love about the series.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Its interesting to me that the game seems to be a little less loved in Europe but I always thought it sold really well there?

Anyways the game is going to be incredible I think the only reason some of us get upset by the reviews is cause a lot of
people only buy games in the 9 or 10 area and the thought of MGS not selling units to people that could love it and cause
the game deserves it really just.....sucks.

But to those of us that have been through this long series how amazing is this game going to be.

I mean honestly Solid Snake as a character is one of the most interesting video game creations we have ever gotten to
take a hold of and David Hayters voice has become so comforting to me all these years.

This game will be incredible dont worry we will all be splooging crying man hugging and holding. I just cant wait 2 more
weeks for the end of a childhood friend for the end of Snake.

I don't get why some people care about sales or reviews. I can give a fuck how many copies are sold. As long as June 12 I'm sneaking out I'm happy. You guys really do complain about everything man!

Deepblue said:
How the hell would you know what Halo 3 "deserved" when it's quite clear that you haven't played it for yourself. Same with MGS4. You're a presumptious fanboy who's having a mini-meltdown over the trivialties of a freakin' NUMBER. WHY does it matter what reviews your favorite game gets if you still enjoy it? So please, STFU and enjoy.
I could have been quite frank in this response, but decided not to. I'm obviously not the one hurt here.
Played HALO 3, played MGO, read the Edge review. You're correct on saying that I had a mini meltdown regarding the score, I didn't get the message that the reviewer tried to convey. The review is still badly written and short, but has a point, which I understand.

Stop scanning threads for HALO 3, stress isn't good for you.

GauntletFan said:
:lol at the notion of EDGE giving a game a 10 for $700 of cheap Halo swag. You fanboys are out of your damned minds.

Yeah because we all know how unbiased you are. Get down off your high horse.

Blame! said:
This bit of the Eurogamer review has me worried actually....90 min cutscenes are fine but if they're the same MGS2 caliber bullshit i am going to probably come away disappointed with this game. :(

Seriously, there are multiple reviews that say the storyline makes sense and does a good job wrapping up all the loose ends. So why does Edge's opinion count more than those other reviews?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
bdizzle said:
I don't get why some people care about sales or reviews. I can give a fuck how many copies are sold. As long as June 12 I'm sneaking out I'm happy. You guys really do complain about everything man!
people always ask this for any game and there are so many reasons that i often doubt people are earnestly asking the question.

sales = good because:

-sequels (doesnt apply here but it does in general)
-your systems health
-legacy and appreciation for your favorite game

bh7812

Banned
woodchuck said:
has anyone here ever rented a system before? i'm thinking about renting a ps3 + mgs4. i dont even know if blockbuster rents systems anymore. I might check out Rent-a- Center. Anyone know the approximate price range for renting systems?

I didn't see any answer for this so I figured I'll give it a try. From what I've seen at least my Blockbuster hasn't rented game systems out in MANY years now. The last system I remember them allowing rentals for was PS2. Again that's just at my location. It might vary from place to place depending on where you are so I'd give the Blockbuster closest to you a call and see.

Rent-A-Center hmmm...Well, I know they rent an awful lot of stuff out so they might very well allow PS3 rentals. As for what they'd charge if it's like how Blockbuster used to do it they'd charge your credit card the full price of the PS3 as a deposit..If you return it on time you'll be all good and they'll just take the deposit charge off the credit card when you bring it back after you're done. If you don't return it at all then ya gotta pay the whole deposit charge. I'd either look on their website or call em but I imagine it's very similar to what I just said.

I hope this was some help :) I wish I could give you a more exact price on what Rent-A-Center would charge.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
bh7812 said:
I didn't see any answer for this so I figured I'll give it a try. From what I've seen at least my Blockbuster hasn't rented game systems out in MANY years now. The last system I remember them allowing rentals for was PS2. Again that's just at my location. It might vary from place to place depending on where you are so I'd give the Blockbuster closest to you a call and see.

Rent-A-Center hmmm...Well, I know they rent an awful lot of stuff out so they might very well allow PS3 rentals. As for what they'd charge if it's like how Blockbuster used to do it they'd charge your credit card the full price of the PS3 as a deposit..If you return it on time you'll be all good and they'll just take the deposit charge off the credit card when you bring it back after you're done. If you don't return it at all then ya gotta pay the whole deposit charge. I'd either look on their website or call em but I imagine it's very similar to what I just said.

I hope this was some help :) I wish I could give you a more exact price on what Rent-A-Center would charge.

Probably $99 a month...

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Bigmac573 said:
10/10 from Official US Playstation Mag, scans here:

<3 Kojima

are you allowed to post links to a scan?

but anyway, those scans have some interesting pictures but i guess the blackout people would want to avoid them : \

thanks for the link though :D

FabCam

-COOLIO- said:
sooo who here wasnt in the beta but is REAAAALLY looking forward to mgo?

also, are we gunna use this thread for mgo discussion or what?

Having spent many hours in the BETA I can say that you most definitely should be looking forward to it. Just don't expect CoD4 in 3rd person. It's much slower and more tactical.

I hope someone makes an official thread for MGO separately. It's basically a different game.

FabCam said:
Having spent many hours in the BETA I can say that you most definitely should be looking forward to it. Just don't expect CoD4 in 3rd person. It's much slower and more tactical.

I hope someone makes an official thread for MGO separately. It's basically a different game.
Lvl 3 fast move + auto aim will turn it into CoD in 3rd person :).

There will be a separate MGO topic, the last one got over 10k posts.

-COOLIO- said:
people always ask this for any game and there are so many reasons that i often doubt people are earnestly asking the question.

sales = good because:

-sequels (doesnt apply here but it does in general)
-your systems health
-legacy and appreciation for your favorite game

Exactly.

FabCam

Ynos Yrros said:
Lvl 3 fast move + auto aim will turn it into CoD in 3rd person :).

There will be a separate MGO topic, the last one got over 10k posts.

I hope so. I just know that I'm going to get distracted by MGO whilst playing MGS4.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I picked up that Metal Gear Solid novel. The guy at Barnes and Noble thought I was looking for the graphic novels at first :lol

It's a shame the reviews haven't said anything about MGO. I'm curious to find out how it's set up in the final game. Mainly, if the servers are locked based on the region of the software, hardware or IP. I really enjoyed the MGO beta and want it to be as successful as possible so it can enjoy a long life. I'm worried that Konami IDs and restrictions are going to limit that.

There is so much MGS4 merchandise I want to buy. I'm going to be broke by the end of the month. I can't really afford it but hell, MGS4 only comes out once. :D

woodchuck

bh7812 said:

Thanks for the help.

Yeah, i checked out the website, but it doesn't look like they give price quotes online. Unfortunately, all my friends have a 360 or Wii so I'm SOL in terms of borrowing.

Kagari said:
Probably $99 a month...

holy shit. now i'm getting second thoughts about renting

Laurent said:
Isn't he
shooting you systematically
if you auto-aim thought?

Yeah, but it was only with the current turbo controllers that were out when they started making the game. All turbo controllers made after that worked. The spoon trick's just as easy though.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
woodchuck said:
Thanks for the help.

Yeah, i checked out the website, but it doesn't look like they give price quotes online. Unfortunately, all my friends have a 360 or Wii so I'm SOL in terms of borrowing.

holy shit. now i'm getting second thoughts about renting

Renting is a total rip off, trust me.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Bigmac573 said:
Oh my...rumors flying around that MGS4 got a
from Game Informer :D

GOOD. Their parent company IS advertising the game like crazy so I'm not surprised if true.

Ceb said:
Don't read the OPM review - it kinda spoils the final mission.

You can tell pretty early on in the review that it's not a good idea to read the entire thing. There are some summaries of it which are a much better read if you want to avoid spoilers

BruceLeeRoy said:
Ill see if I can find some more in-depth stuff I never finished it so its the only game I couldn't really check on.
If you could elaborate on the S3 Plan that would be great. That was the one thing that I didn't fully understand after reading your summary. If you could just clarify what the Patriots main goal of the S3 plan, what information did they acquire, and for what purpose, that would clear some stuff up for me. Also, what exactly was the true purpose of the S3 plan, was it to create their own Solid Snake, or was it to control the flow of data using GW?

Dever

Banned
Bigmac573 said:
Oh my...rumors flying around that MGS4 got a
from Game Informer :D

Good, should calm things down in here. :p Spoilering scores is quite frowned upon though, so you should be careful. Some mods have banned people for it. Probably doesn't apply here because it's just a rumor, but still.

Anyone planning on buying the LE hardcover strategy guide? I usually wait til after completing a game to purchase guides (for the artwork/bios/easter eggs) but I don't think I want to chance them being sold out and discontinued. Will it be worth it for the hard cover? The only difference besides the hard cover is a behind the scenes chapter... correct?

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
ypo said:
so has the 90-minutes cutscenes been confirmed?

ok is this true or not? trying to find a real answer because i refuse to sit through 90 minutes of cutscene in one setting.

broken up? sure...all at once? fuck you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom