• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
tha_con said:
I didn't find Crying Wolf very difficult at all. Solid Eye FTW.

Same. The whole times i was trying to do my no kill/alert run, i was curising the day i would have to fight her. But, putting the frogs to sleep and sniping her without getting caught only took me 3 tries.

1stStrike

Banned
Darkpen said:
first of all, what truck, second, I'm doing my Big Boss run, I can't just sit around underneath something.

edit: why did you edit out my laughing emoticon D:

This is what I did for crying wolf on my TBE game:

1. Stun all the frogs in front of you and to your immediate left
2. Run up the right side of the map so you're adjacent to her starting location
3. Fire a lvl 3 rail gun into her head.
4. Follow her to her next location, repeat
5. Shoot any roaming frogs on the outside of the map with the tranq sniper rifle.

It was pretty easy. The night vision on the solid eye makes it really easy to see her from afar. And if she does charge you, blast her with the 40mm grenade launcher a couple times to knock her down + do some damage.

Zaptruder

Banned
On the issue of funding:
Ultimately, you have to understand Snake has been an unwitting agent of the patriots up until the last moment. So whatever funding he and Otacon have gotten would've been funnelled to them at some point by an agent of the patriots; a drebin style figure that is a witting agent for the patriots.

Danielsan

What the fuck. Only now do I realise you can change the channels during the very first cutscene of the games. My mind is officially blown.

Having finished the game I have to say that it is both one of the most amazing and one of the most flawed games I've ever played.

The cutscenes are often too long, the dialogue is almost never to the point,way to drawn out and sometimes downright ridiculously poorly written. If you're not a MGS fan than I'd imagine you'd be left absolutely clueless and bored out of your skull with the non-action cutscenes. I however loved most of it.

That said, the gameplay, visuals and events blew my mind. Some of the sequences in this game are beyond epic and will be forever ingraved in my mind.

Aladuf

Banned
Danielsan said:
What the fuck. Only now do I realise you can change the channels during the very first cutscene of the games. My mind is officially blown.

Yeah I found that out at the beginning of my second play through. I was just messing with the buttons on the controller and then the channel changed and I was like "Whoa!" :lol

Marconelly said:
Oh yeah, I was seriously scared
the game would ask me to "Pull R1" on Snake there at the end, like it did in MGS3 for The Boss, but it didn't. And I'm glad it didn't, despite that we later see he didn't actually go though with it, the players would be left with a bad taste in their mouths feeling they tried to kill Snake against his will

I disagree with this.
I think the game would have resonated a lot more with me if they would have tied up all the loose ends, then forced the player to "off" Snake. That power is something that games have over other entertainment mediums, they should use it. It would have been "difficult" to do as a longtime fan of the franchise, but would have made the game that much more memorable, especially with a long running and well liked character like Snake.

Zaptruder

Banned
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Just some plot ideas I've been thinking about and was wondering if I could get some thoughts on it.

I'm planning on doing my own review for my site later, but I just wanted to get these plot points answered, there not huge just stuff I've been thinking about.

Don't highlight unless you beat the game.

So Zero forms the Patriots, but my one question about that is when did Zero become an American citizen or stop caring about being British? It just seem bizarre that he wants to run America and such and even run American military ops.
Do the pilots we see in the heli at the cemetery pilot the nomad?I guess you could say its on auto-pilot, but then why have the them in the first place. Weird they never pop up again
How is the nomad funded or equipped? I assume its Otacon stealing funds and such from places (but who??), as this was always the implied source of Philanthropies funding
Are the Patriots in furtherance of the war economy creating the conflicts or simply expanding them by giving tools and tech that never would have been used otherwise? For me at least based on what Drebin says at the end, it seems countries are just using the tools for conflicts that would exist otherwise (and prehaps only have been low level. In a way the Patriots are using human nature and war to expand its control without even causing it

There a bit minor, but just stuff I've been thinking off.

One thing I was thinking too

I think one of the best things Kojima did was not mentioning countries in the battlezones. It saved him for having to create a back story, normally I hate it, but it gives a nice realism to the concept of a war economy, one just fought for the sake of war. The anonymous nature seemed right. I do think giving
Drebin his background was fine as it connected it to the real world and was logical along with the Beasts location specific origin

re: 4
What one should understand about the Patriots AI is that they are an extension of Zero's will. It's not one intended for malice upon humanity... his will is to create an enclosed freedom with the absolute order of society. Not unlike pets in a cage; well fed, and with a certain amount of freedom within their cage... but nonetheless confined by the boundaries of a cloistered environment. Upon Big Boss's betrayal; his closest friend Zero loses hope in humanity. Zero idealises Big Boss as the ubermensch; even up until the point of his betrayal. But after that point, he creates an AI system that's impersonal and continues to carry his will beyond the point of his decripitation.

Once the AI is established, they take over authority from Zero, what they do is simply to propogate the maxims programmed into them by Zero. However they're incomplete, and impersonal. The war economy it propogates is simply just a utilitarian measure to run a healthy economy, and the nanomachines that it introduces a way of properly controlling the population; including staving off their sorrows, and anxieties through the use of the SOP system.
Unfortunately, because it is so impersonal and incomplete, due to the incomplete and corrupted ideology of its creator, it takes things to their logical end (given its incomplete model), and creates disastrous situations as evidenced by the war economy.

The most interesting thing about MGS4 is how they're no clearly defined villains in the game. Even the most obvious mastermind upon further examination isn't a traditional mad cackling villain; all agents work towards the realization of the ideals that they gleaned off The Boss.

What is especially impressive about MGS4 is how well it wraps up all the themes that the previous games introduced. Bear in mind that Kojima simply didn't intend to create 4... but yet when he set his mind to it, he was able to fold everything together neatly upon itself, providing players with a great conclusion to the series.

Aladuf

Banned
Iron_Scimitar said:
channels? wha?

You know when you first start the game and there is the kinda random "tv show" that plays? You can press some button (can't remember which) and the channels change as if it were a tv.

Marconelly said:
Mantis battle
What I didn't get about this encouter is what exactly happened at the end? Why
did he just died/disappeared like that?

Somebody basically
banishes him
. Somebody...fairly important. You need to tap X at that point to figure out who. :lol

glaurung

Beat the game for the first time today. Wow. Great storytelling and superb game play. Wasn't too sure about the
button-mashing sequences near the end
, but otherwise superb. Legendary.

One question though: I unlocked the
Race Gun
on my first run-through on Solid Normal difficulty and now that I begun a second play through on the easiest setting, when do I get to use this unlocked gun? I got up to meeting up with the
Mark II
and there's no sign of it.

Is it possible I do not get access to it on lower difficulties?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
SnakeswithLasers said:
I disagree with this.
I think the game would have resonated a lot more with me if they would have tied up all the loose ends, then forced the player to "off" Snake. That power is something that games have over other entertainment mediums, they should use it. It would have been "difficult" to do as a longtime fan of the franchise, but would have made the game that much more memorable, especially with a long running and well liked character like Snake.
If Kojima actually wanted character dead - I would agree with this. Since he wanted him to stay alive, I think the choice in not asking you pull the trigger is better, as you would feel like you betrayed the character when you see him still being alive later on. The reason for Snake staying alive I think is part of game's main message - there's hope in life and reasons to push through even when you get older, and some of long time fans of the series are older people at this time.

Crazymoogle said:
Somebody basically
banishes him
. Somebody...fairly important. You need to tap X at that point to figure out who. :lol
Ahh, I missed that! Something to pay attention on replay :)

Iron_Scimitar said:
channels? wha?
Yeah, try pressing some of the buttons on the controller when you see Live Action/CG scene at the beginning. There are channels, and they are all highly impressive and bring some more reality to MGS's world of near future. I still wonder if there's something to be seen in Hideo 1 and Hideo 2 channels...

Danielsan

glaurung said:
Beat the game for the first time today. Wow. Great storytelling and superb game play. Wasn't too sure about the
Really? I thought that part was beyond epic, such an emotional and viseral moment. Kinda reminded me of a certain part in Shadow of the Colossus.

Big-E

glaurung said:

One question though: I unlocked the
Race Gun
on my first run-through on Solid Normal difficulty and now that I begun a second play through on the easiest setting, when do I get to use this unlocked gun? I got up to meeting up with the
Mark II
and there's no sign of it.

Is it possible I do not get access to it on lower difficulties?

You have to load your last save, don't start a new game.

SnakeswithLasers said:
I disagree with this.

I was kinda expecting them to make me pull the trigger, too. Even then, my heart sank like a rock when I heard that shot being fired off. Ironic, though, considering I spent the last however-many-hours prior to that scene thinking to myself "Goddamn, Snake, you need a break."

Marconelly said:
Yeah, try pressing some of the buttons on the controller when you see Live Action/CG scene at the beginning. There are channels, and they are all highly impressive and bring some more reality to MGS's world of near future. I still wonder if there's something to be seen in Hideo 1 and Hideo 2 channels...

I'll give that a shot.

Struct09

Marconelly said:

Also, if you bought the MGS4LE, all those videos are on the supplemental Blu-ray.

Orlics

Wow, my sister drew me an awesome Facebook Graffiti for my birthday. :lol

01AwcA9g3nu30AAAADAAAAAAAAAAA:.png

Just beat it...
Game of Forever for me what a amazing close to the series.
Its hard to find the words to describe the whole experience I wish the
word "awesome" wasn't used so often in our daily speech because this
game truly is "Awesome" or "Awe Inspiring."

There are certain books and movies that are so good I will watch them
or read them once every year. Metal Gear Solid 4 is the first videogame
that I will revisit just to experience its brilliance again.

And..
I cried like a little bitch at the end.

Oh and *End Game Spoilers*
Fight with Liquid is some
absolutely brilliant gameplay. Kojima actually wrapped up everything just
perfectly.
And my god they truly were saving the best graphics for last.

sonicmj1

I really enjoyed MGS4. It had some great high points. But I also had plenty of issues with it.

I thought the gameplay was fantastic, and most of the sequences were really strong. I especially enjoyed Act 2 practically all the way through.
The tracking sequence was a lot of fun, even if there wasn't as much tension as was implied by the 'hunter and the hunted' line in the codec.

I liked the rebel stalking sequence in Act 3 at first (it felt very noir, especially with the muted color pallate and the civilian disguise), but it went on far too long. What starts as a cool twist on normal gameplay stretches out for close to a half-hour that feels very monotonous. More and more twists were piled on, but it lost a lot of its flavor when I had to actively intervene for this guy over and over. If that had been shorter, but the scene upon entering the hideout had been playable, that would have been interesting.

My main issues, though were with the storytelling and the cutscenes. The script is as melodramatic and preachy as it has ever been, and they're just long, especially when the game decides to tell me the exact workings of the various systems at work in the game over the course of 10 or 15 minutes of monologue (much of which is redundant). They're all over the place. The worst, IMO, is
Big Mama's discussion of the origins of the Patriots midway through Act 3. Not only is that incredibly long, but it's laden with tons of blatant religious imagery, with it being in a church, the use of crucifixes and frequent discussion of icons, and apples randomly showing up everywhere.

The cutscene balance is especially thrown out of whack in Act 5, which is probably 90/10 cutscenes to gameplay.
I loved the microwave hallway sequence, and at least there was less monotonous exposition (not counting the Big Boss return, which didn't register much of an impact for me because it was so strange), but there simply wasn't much gameplay there.

Still, I think the game is fantastic, and I've started a second Solid Normal runthrough of the game, this time going for a Fox rank. It plays really well. I just wish it didn't balance so heavily towards cutscenes, heavier than any other Metal Gear game before it. Kojima felt the obligation to wrap up every character arc and every question from the other Metal Gear games, and I think that MGS4's tale crumbles under that weight, especially as the nostalgia fights for attention with the current themes he is pursuing, ones that at least have the potential to register much more powerfully.

P.S.: Am I the only one who didn't like Raiden at all in this one? In MGS2, he felt much more relatable, but in this one, he seemed like a stereotypical emo whiny 'badass'.
I don't see how he went from the hopeful state he was in at the end of MGS2 to the emotional withdrawal and melancholy he has in this game. Just because he can do flips and cut up robots and stop ships doesn't make his character any better.

dalyr95

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Do the pilots we see in the heli at the cemetery pilot the nomad?I guess you could say its on auto-pilot, but then why have the them in the first place. Weird they never pop up again
How is the nomad funded or equipped? I assume its Otacon stealing funds and such from places (but who??), as this was always the implied source of Philanthropies funding

2. There are pilots in the Nomad, you can see them if you zoom in on an exterior shot
3. Campbell works for the UN and is on an authorised mission (to investigate the PMCs) as it states in the beginning.

Finally back from my "break" and man, I managed to get my copy early and beat it one sitting. I've never felt so many emotions before while playing a videogame. I know some people think it's sad, but I really did tear up a bunch of times during certain parts of the game.
With the return to Shadow Moses, Raidens "death", Otacon telling Sunny Snake has had a hard life, Ocelot doing one last hand-gesture while telling Snake he's pretty good with some flashbacks to MGS3 Ocelot, Big Boss pulling the plug on Zero with flashbacks to MGS3, Big Boss doing one final salute to The Boss' grave, and Big Boss' final line in the game

I don't know if it's my favorite game in the series yet as I'm still in bliss at the moment and I can in no way look at the game objectively, but man, I can say for sure I have NEVER felt like this about a game before and thus, it truly makes the game special for me. I don't think I'll be able to feel this again in videogames or in any piece of entertianment for that matter, so the fact that it's all over is sorta bittersweet for me. It really is the end of an era - the final chapter in greatest character in all of video games life.

I loved it.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Finished it awhile ago, really enjoyed it.. coming from a huge Kojima fan before the MGS days...

Took a few days to really compose myself to even bother posting in this thread because of the MGS fanboy fest that has been going on lately that has made me wanting to hate the series, similar to the whole FFVII scenario somewhat, but that was my problem alone and no one elses.

I really loved the fact that Kojima chose to end this series on such a special note and leave it at that. There is nothing more after MGS4, there never will be in terms of storyline content. He did me proud and I am sure he did everyone else proud at the same time.
Thank you Kojima for bringing Big Boss back into the limelight in the ending, it was more than I had hoped for.. especially after MGS3. I just wish Ocelot was able to be granted the same gratitude because he was another one of my favourite characters - essentially he was the never ending work behind the scenes, without him there would be no major part of MGS

The game was great, it doesn't deserve a 10/10 because that would be my own crazy assumptions and opinions compared to the average gaming enthusiast and that is not fair. Other than that, what can I say? It is a Kojima Productions game.. I just hope we can achieve much more greater heights with the man who has literally kept a majority of the gaming-centric fold underneath his fingertips for 10 years. May he keep on producing more heart-inducing efforts for years to come *raises his glass and takes a gulp to Hideo Kojima*

speedpop said:
Thank you Kojima for bringing Big Boss back into the limelight in the ending, it was more than I had hoped for.. especially after MGS3. I just wish Ocelot was able to be granted the same gratitude because he was another one of my favourite characters - essentially he was the never ending work behind the scenes, without him there would be no major part of MGS

Ocelot is truly a tragic character, one of the most tragic characters in the MGS universe and it's ashame that a lot of people gloss over his sacrifices because no one gave a heartbreaking monologue for him before the final credits of the game rolled. He basically sacrificed EVERYTHING due to loyalty to Big Boss and went through ridiculous lengths to accomplish his mission and always fought for what he was loyal to. I know he wasn't exactly the most pleasant character in the series, but the stuff he did.. the stuff he did brings a tear to my eye every time I think about it

tl;dr Ocelot is great

So, I started my Extreme run before I went to work, yesterday.

I got caught on the very first sneaking part. :lol

I have a good feeling that this isn't going to be fun at all.

Eric_S

tha_con said:
I didn't find Crying Wolf very difficult at all. Solid Eye FTW.

Makes me wonder, did anybody else get her by going up on one of the com. towers, look for her radar signature and wear her down with RPG's?

I didn't loose squat in energy by doing that, easy as pie too.

Aladuf

Banned
Eric_S said:
Makes me wonder, did anybody else get her by going up on one of the com. towers, look for her radar signature and wear her down with RPG's?

That's exactly what I did too.

AzerPhire

Man I wish we had videos of all you grown men tearing up over this game. I mean yea certain parts can be sad but to the point of tearing up? Wow.

Especially the one guy who said he teared up at the location of Act 4. I mean seriously?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
AzerPhire said:
Man I wish we had videos of all you grown men tearing up over this game. I mean yea certain parts can be sad but to the point of tearing up? Wow.

Especially the one guy who said he teared up at the location of Act 4. I mean seriously?

20 years of nostalgia of a franchise can do that to someone. :)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
AzerPhire said:

Imagine being invested in a character since you were in elementary school. Now imagine you're a working stiff, still invested in said world.

The Best is Yet to Come playing as you crawl slowly into Shadow Moses made me misty.

U K Narayan said:
Well, how about that.

Outer Haven is a modified Arsenal Ship stolen from the Patriots. To that end, Outer Haven is a Metal Gear!

sonicmj1 said:
P.S.: Am I the only one who didn't like Raiden at all in this one? In MGS2, he felt much more relatable, but in this one, he seemed like a stereotypical emo whiny 'badass'.
I don't see how he went from the hopeful state he was in at the end of MGS2 to the emotional withdrawal and melancholy he has in this game. Just because he can do flips and cut up robots and stop ships doesn't make his character any better.

Yep, I have to agree for the most part.
It's like after the backlash towards him in MGS2, MGS4 Raiden was designed-to-spec to appeal to everyone that hated him. Almost to Poochie-esque levels. I'm rather conflicted at his change of character. It's just too drastic. Although (sigh), I guess it is warranted after how big a mindfuck he had to endure and extraneous bullshit otherwise between the start of the Big Shell chapter and where MGS4 picks up. He is vengeful with due reason. I wouldn't call him "whiny and emo," but he was obviously bitter.

I never really had the problem with his character that a lot of other people did.

Eric_S said:

The way it was presented as a Sniper Wolf redux, I played it the same way I played Sniper Wolf. On the ground, Sniper battle to the death.
Attack You said:
Yep, I have to agree for the most part.
It's like after the backlash towards him in MGS2, MGS4 Raiden was designed-to-spec to appeal to everyone that hated him. Almost to Poochie-esque levels. I'm rather conflicted at his change of character. It's just too drastic. Although (sigh), I guess it is warranted after how big a mindfuck he had to endure and extraneous bullshit otherwise between the start of the Big Shell chapter and where MGS4 picks up. He is vengeful with due reason. But yeah, I never really had the problem with his character that a lot of other people did.
They never go into detail why Raiden is the way he is, but they do allude to it,
At the end of MGS2, Snake tells Raiden to go live his life. Be a normal person, don't get caught up in the soldier life, it only ends with sadness. Raiden went on after MGS2 to find this, but the memories of his past kept haunting him. He eventually turned to alcohol to drown out the memories, but when he drank what he believed to be his "true" nature came out. He got into many fights and would come home to Rose drunk and covered in cuts and bruises. I am assuming Raiden sometimes got violent with her, which is alluded to by Rose saying she feared Raiden at some point. Eventually Rose left Raiden and told him that she had a miscarriage. Then she went on to pretend to marry Campbell in order to hide her relationship with Raiden from the Patriots.
Given the circumstances outlined above, I can see how Raiden ended up the way he did in MGS4. However, at sometimes I found his emotions to be to over-the-top and got close to whiny-bitch at the time. That being said, he never crossed that threshold and his ultra-badassness did make up for it.

Durante

Eric_S said:

I did this. I'm not big on close encounters with anything if I can avoid them :D

Darkpen said:
lol... dammit, Crying Wolf on TBE is hard :lol God dammit, every time I think I'm close to being able to pull it off, some soldier wakes up from behind me, lol D:

use the 50. sniper rifle equal dmg to rail gun but no charge up 5-6 shots and your done. how are you on time, you could probablys it around.

Danielsan

snack said:
The way it was presented as a Sniper Wolf redux, I played it the same way I played Sniper Wolf. On the ground, Sniper battle to the death.
I did the same. I hid underneath the vehicle, took my sniperrifle and used my nightvision to quickly kill all the frogs. After that I took down Crying Wolf with headshots (whenever she stopped, trying to snipe me).

I hid underneath the tank/armor car at the beginning of that stage and just waited her to appear and sniped her. :lol

Eric_S said:

out of the 3 hours (easy) worth of gameplay, i'd say act 2 is definitely mgs4's peak in terms of gameplay and environment.

it's the only reason why i'm keeping the game so i can replay this act over and over on extreme mode. :D

the best things about the game are the fps view, audio, music, camo and act 3's ending cutscene - wow!

the worst; the installs - sweet jesus!, load times after all these installs and short play time.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
DancingCactus77 said:
I hid underneath the tank/armor car at the beginning of that stage and just waited her to appear and sniped her. :lol

I figured this is what everyone did. The frogs can't find you if you don't miss, and Crying Wolf can't get you with the railgun if you snipe her, and move back before she lets off the railgun.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
AzerPhire said:
You say "especially" as if that location + music playing there, wasn't the most sentimental moment in the game. That whole old and decaying base with old Snake in there was a very nice parallel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom