• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jett said:
The skin shading is much better than the porcelain, flat skin we got instead.
Come on now, just look at the last two pictures from that link you posted. You can't tell me that trailer's skin shader on his face looks better. Or especially in motion. Did you see the
last fight between Snake and Liquid/Ocelot
and what the skin on their faces looked like? Or many other similarity lit places for that matter. Besides, captures you gave from the game itself look much more desaturated than the game actually is. I did say that I had to turn the color settings up on my TV to make it look more saturated than the default, but those screens are just not really representative either way.

One thing I wish the game had is the color adjuster tool that the photo viewer in it has. Enable it upon completion and everyone would be happy.

Johnas

I've noticed a few times in this thread that people keep saying that two cutscenes in this game are pre-rendered-
the long one at the end of Act 3, but I'm not sure what the other one is
. How do people know this? Is it because the game won't let you change the octocamo during these parts? I can't tell any sort of graphical difference in
Act 3's ending sequence
from any of the other cutscenes, in particular characters' fingertips still have that obvious polygonal look. Other things like the water do look really impressive though. Maybe I just don't have an eye for that sort of thing.

Durante

They aren't prerendered in the sense that they're FMV, they are simply recorded running off the game engine. There is probably too much going on in those 2 scenes to maintain a stable framerate.

As for how you can tell, it's impossible to zoom/move the camera during those sequences.

Johnas

Durante said:
They aren't prerendered in the sense that they're FMV, they are simply recorded running off the game engine. There is probably too much going on in those 2 scenes to maintain a stable framerate.

As for how you can tell, it's impossible to zoom/move the camera during those sequences.

Thank you sir.

1stStrike

Banned
I have a strong urge to make a MGS4 music video now. I just need some high quality versions of the cut scenes..preferably with no subtitles either.

*ponders*

jett

D-Member
Marconelly said:
Come on now, just look at the last two pictures from that link you posted. You can't tell me that trailer's skin shader on his face looks better. Or especially in motion. Did you see the
last fight between Snake and Liquid/Ocelot
and what the skin on their faces looked like? Or many other similarity lit places for that matter. Besides, captures you gave from the game itself look much more desaturated than the game actually is. I did say that I had to turn the color settings up on my TV to make it look more saturated than the default, but those screens are just not really representative either way.

One thing I wish the game had is the color adjuster tool that the photo viewer in it has. Enable it upon completion and everyone would be happy.

Yeah that part of the game is pretty much the best looking scene of the game, happy hour lighting always makes for teh pretty...but yeah sorry man I do think the skin looked better. Everything but the scenery textures looked better. Just during the first minute you can see how the final game can't compare, with the insane amount of debri, dust, and wind effects going around you. The perfect self-shadowing is the biggest red flag for me to declare that vid to be CG. And in that sense, it's not really fair for MGS4 to be compared to that trailer.

The desaturation of my pictures are an unfortunate effect of the garbage video quality of Gametrailers.com. :p

jett said:
Yeah that part of the game is pretty much the best looking scene of the game, happy hour lighting always makes for teh pretty...but yeah sorry man I do think the skin looked better. Everything but the scenery textures looked better. Just during the first minute you can see how the final game can't compare, with the insane amount of debri, dust, and wind effects going around you. The perfect self-shadowing is the biggest red flag for me to declare that vid to be CG. And in that sense, it's not really fair for MGS4 to be compared to that trailer.

The desaturation of my pictures are an unfortunate effect of the garbage video quality of Gametrailers.com. :p

yeah, the face does look better in the 2005 trailer...environment etc looks better now though

Majmun

Ugh, I've bought the game since launch. But I'm still waiting until my gf goes on vacation before I touch it.

THE PAIN

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jett said:
The perfect self-shadowing is the biggest red flag for me to declare that vid to be CG. And in that sense, it's not really fair for MGS4 to be compared to that trailer
I think they just went with some ultra high res shadow maps there, which was unfeasable for the whole level situation they had to have eventually. Remember that the final game also has unified shadowing for scenery and characters, which I don't think was the case in that trailer (static maps from buildings to ground). Also, if you look at the Snake's model in the Camo selection screen it has pretty much the same quality self shadowing, probably because they load special shadowmap just for that panel.

I don't think the trailer was CG, they showed that scene being manipulated in real time, but what hardware that was is anyone's guess.

Well I'm approaching the end of Act 1 and I have to say...I don't see what the fuss is about.

These are early impressions:

Good

- The cut-scenes are incredible, beautifully framed and directed
- The character models, lighting and environmental effects are the best I've seen
- Audio is impeccable

Bad

- Animation outside of the cut-scenes is passable, at best
- The cover system is awkward
- Dialogue is forced
- Environment feels vapid, despite an apparent war taking place
- Directed and linear progression
- Framerate
- AI is very rudimentary, at times laughable

I'll come back with more impressions when I'm further into the game.

depward

My PS3 died when playing my second playthrough. I get the dreaded red light blinky.

Goodbye, 60 gig. Hello $150 repair fee and three / four weeks of being PS3-free :(

FabCam

Opus Angelorum said:
Well I'm approaching the end of Act 1 and I have to say...I don't see what the fuss is about.

Good

- The character models, lighting and environmental effects are the best I've seen
- Audio is impeccable

Bad

- Animation outside of the cut-scenes is passable, at best how? it's some of the best animation of any game on any system
- The cover system is awkward it's not meant to be a cover system ala Uncharted or Gears. It's meant to be a "peeking" system
- Dialogue is forced I think it's a lot better than the first 3 MGS game dialogue
- Environment feels vapid, despite an apparent war taking place so bullets whipping past you head doesn't give the effect of war?
- Directed and linear progression but you can play it any way you want, plus there are multiple paths
- Framerate is good
- AI is very rudimentary, at times laughable any examples? IMO, the AI is really really good

Just my 2 cents :D

Guess I'll finally comment - been submerged until I finished the game, which was last night and...I can't really find the words to say just how awesome and satisfying this game has been - other than it was worth the wait (God...has it really been four years since this was announced?).

Everything in this game has not only met my expectations - but surpassed them and I just wanted to thank everyone at KojiPro for all of the hard work and effort that went into creating one of the best experiences ever.

My favorite parts of this game were mainly centered around
Big Mama/Eva & Big Boss. It was really touching because although Eva had given birth to both Solid and Liquid, she considered Solid her true son because he was the one who managed to escape from Big Boss' shadow/legacy. I'm guessing that it might have been Eva who named Snake 'David' and maybe she was able to spend a little bit of time with him before he was placed elsewhere. There were times during their interactions where I thought Snake really wanted to call her 'mom' but didn't - though during the chase seen I was pretty giddy when she shouted, "That's my boy!" after shooting down the flying things & PMCs.

As for Big Boss, it was mentioned earlier (and I actually caught it while watching the cutscene) that he had not only accepted Snake as a 'brother in arms', but also as his true son & heir because he was able to accomplish what Liquid & Solidus weren't able to. The moment that really got me was the CQC into the fatherly hug in front of The Boss' grave while 'Father & Son' was playing because without words, Big Boss had fully acknowledged that Solid Snake was his son and that symbolically, just as Big Boss had surpassed The Boss, Solid Snake had surpassed Big Boss.

After typing all that...let me just say, "Whoa." and be done with it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Opus Angelorum said:
If you want AI that puts up decent challenge you really have to play on Hard from the beginning. The difference in their attentiveness is really big between Normal and Hard. Also, in MGS games many times AI does things in a certain way precisely to make you smile/laugh, I love it for that, and I call it Wile-E coyote AI.

The fun stuff it does aside, I think AI is really damn good.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Gamer @ Heart said:
Impossible. The game is flawless.

lol, I don't know about flawless, but yes the game looks great.

I noticed the first jump to 60fps when first getting to the hotel where you meet the Rat Patrol...

okay can you guys give me a run down of what considers as a kill and alert and what doesnt?

gekkos and those 3 hand ball freaks dont count do they? also, what about in instances such as the beginning of the game? the very beginning when the gekkos are slaughtering the militia? if they see you, does that count as a alert as well?

effingvic said:
okay can you guys give me a run down of what considers as a kill and alert and what doesnt?

gekkos and those 3 hand ball freaks dont count do they? also, what about in instances such as the beginning of the game? the very beginning when the gekkos are slaughtering the militia? if they see you, does that count as a alert as well?

I think the only time it counts as an alert is when the red alert countdown comes up. The 1st time where the gekkos are slaughtering the militia doesn't count as an alert even if you hear the sound because the countdown doesn't show up.

Tutomos

What exemplifies a perfect stealth game for me is the Chernobyl level in COD4 where tanks and soldiers move past by you, and with you in a ghillie suit. MGS4 when played right, has that kind of feel to it.

MarkMan said:

I noticed the first jump to 60fps when first getting to the hotel where you meet the Rat Patrol...

I was joshing. It's easy not to notice the frame rate drops in this game because outside of the chase sequences, you are moving slow so it doesnt really screw you up.

mileS

Opus Angelorum said:

*snip*.

Dude.. from the posts i've been reading from the GFW thread and here it sounded like you pretty much made your mind up before you started playing...

Opus Angelorum said:
I feel that I need to play this as it's clearly a milestone within the medium.

Should be arriving tomorrow so I'll post some early impressions.

Let me state that I will be playing with a degree of scepticism, so my pre-disposition will either be validated or ripped to pieces.

Opus Angelorum said:
I can't wait to come back with impressions, I'm up for some verbal sparring.

got this game last week and beat it in a day. Incredible. Loved (almost) every second of it. The only parts that i didn't love were
act 3 when you were following that resistence guy, took about 45 mins and should have been shorter as it was quite boring, and first landing on outer haven, which was frustrating as hell.
I thought though that it could have used a few more (5 or so) hours of gameplay. metal gear solid games are full of cutscenes and story but this takes it to a new level. I loved every second of them and am not saying i wanted them to cut back on those, but just add some more gameplay. Act 3 and 5 especially were short on gameplay.

MarkMan said:

Hey! That's exactly where I noticed it too. Were you up against the kind of fancy wall by the bar by any chance? I was like "whoa! It's moving really smoothly all of a sudden!". I remember telling my GF about it when she asked about the framerate later that night.

Raist

Banned
effingvic said:

Killing unmanned stuff doesn't count as kills. Getting spotted by the gekkos doesn't count as an alert either IIRC.

mileS said:
Dude.. from the posts i've been reading from the GFW thread and here it sounded like you pretty much made your mind up before you started playing...

I'm always honest.

I did not spend £40 just so I could post an informed tirade, I was entirely open to being consumed by Metal Gear Solid 4.

pistolpete2940 said:
I think the only time it counts as an alert is when the red alert countdown comes up. The 1st time where the gekkos are slaughtering the militia doesn't count as an alert even if you hear the sound because the countdown doesn't show up.

ok cool. also, what if caution comes up? does that count as well?

also, what am i allowed to kill XD

edit: okay, awesome. also, what about those 3 handed freaks? theyre everywhere in act 4..

Raist said:
Killing unmanned stuff doesn't count as kills. Getting spotted by the gekkos doesn't count as an alert either IIRC.
At the very beginning it doesn't count. But if you ever see ALERT stamped on top of your screen, it's a pretty safe bet that you've had an alert.

antiloop

Opus Angelorum said:

Good

- Audio is impeccable

Bad

- Animation outside of the cut-scenes is passable, at best
- The cover system is awkward
- Dialogue is forced
- Environment feels vapid, despite an apparent war taking place
- Directed and linear progression
- Framerate

I am amazed that you found 3 positives.

effingvic said:
ok cool. also, what if caution comes up? does that count as well?

also, what am i allowed to kill XD

Caution is fine.

Dont kill the beauties outside of their suits and the manned mechs near the mansion during the chase.

gekkos and drones are all good.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
1stStrike said:
No, you can't have a guest player. And, you can only have 1 char per PS3 system. If you want more slots you need to pay for them.

Thanks, I really appreciate you answering that.

Anyway, that's stupid. I wonder if you can pay for another character with a PSN card? I may do that if it's not something like a subscription (I take it it's probably a one time fee).

Don

I just beat it for the second time yesterday and definitely feel like it gets better with each act except for maybe act 5 which was a bit too short although still pretty fun. I also still wish there was more optional codec stuff like the previous games although I did find a few funny codec calls I missed in my first playthrough, like calling Otacon in act 4 just after you get past
the area where you fought Raven in the tank in MGS1 and Otacon is asking him how he destroyed the tank
and also when I called
Rose when I was in the area with the blast furnace and Campbell started hinting at Rose being a bad cook which I though was funny since I remember Raiden hinting at the same thing in MGS2

Also near the end of act 4 I really love how
"Enclosure" from MGS1 plays while Naomi dies and all the Gekko are crashing through the walls, since that is probably my favourite music track in the MGS series.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Caution is fine.

Dont kill the beauties outside of their suits and the manned mechs near the mansion during the chase.

gekkos and drones are all good.

SWEET. i cant wait to blow up these fuckers.

so beauties w/ armor is okay for destruction eh. i wont hold back!

[HP]

I'm still in awe with that brief
MGS1 2/3 minuts gameplay on the helipad (Snake's dream).

Seriously, that is Kojima's genius mind right there...!

DunpealD

[HP] said:
I'm still in awe with that brief
MGS1 2/3 minuts gameplay on the helipad (Snake's dream).

Seriously, that is Kojima's genius mind right there...!

Make sure you simulate the classic MGS 1 overhead view when "The best is yet to come" is playing at the new Shadow Moses heliport.

Steroyd

Holy fucking shit at Big boss Extreme.

It's like... how the game is meant to played, I love that difficulty, shame I'm trying to get the Big boss medal, looks like i could have a LOT of fun on this difficulty.

i think somebody mentioned this already, but i just loved the interplay between
big mama and snake. like, seriously. i wouldve loved it if snake (hehe, david XD) called her mom just once. it wouldve been awesomely cheesy and i wouldve loved every little bit of it. i got goosebumps through that whole act. and then there was big boss too.

man. the family stuff was great.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
ok finally passed it last night, solid normal...26 hours, LOL yeah i'm not good at stealth games. but did i miss something, i thought snake died? i mean that last scene with big boss just kind of ended abruptly...it was like 4 o clock in the morning...but does snake die? i mean he started talking with BB and then like the virus wasnt hurting snake anymore or something, wtf?

[HP]

ChrisGoldstein said:
i mean that last scene with big boss just kind of ended abruptly...it was like 4 o clock in the morning...but does snake die? i mean he started talking with BB and then like the virus wasnt hurting snake anymore or something, wtf?

I loved that final scene!
I almost fell on my knees when I saw that Snake didn't killed himself after all, and when I saw Big Boss, I almost had a fucking heart attack! I loved that scene, It was epic! It all "glues" back toguether on that brief explanation of big boss!

About fox die not killing snake after all, Naomi did injected Snake with a new generaton of fox die, than this new fox die just stoped the previous one, therefor there will be no epidemic after all, and snake will not die in 3 months like Naomi told him, he prolly got a couple of years more to enjoy life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom