• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurahadol

thetrin said:
I figured this is what everyone did. The frogs can't find you if you don't miss, and Crying Wolf can't get you with the railgun if you snipe her, and move back before she lets off the railgun.

I kept on the move and staked out different positions and sniped her, took about 10-15 minutes, but it all went well. Probably my favorite boss fight in the game.

Wow. I just got to the scene on MGS2 where fortune magicly deflects 100 rockets after finding out the secret to her "power" and where liquid takes over Ocelot when he is inside ray. Not only does his voice change but it was clear to me ocelot was totally going to kill everyone there. Wasnt he suppose to be
working with the rest of the gang in MGS4 to secretly get rid of the Patriots from within at this point? That is no act on ocelots part. From what liquid said it was he who was out to destroy the patriots and from what i remember of Eva's explination in act 3, liquid didnt fit in it at all. Is there a logical reason for this, did kojima back peddle, or am i just suppose to accept it was truly an act on ocelots part? Maybe im just wrong about Eva's explination?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWEpYpxxryQ&feature=related

Its called, Metal Gear Solid 2 - Full Story Version (part 11 Solidus) if copying the link doesnt work.

I would have hyperlinked it, but the window to allow scripted windows didnt pop up.

Any help would be great.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
kurahadol said:
I kept on the move and staked out different positions and sniped her, took about 10-15 minutes, but it all went well. Probably my favorite boss fight in the game.

It's awesome that you did that, but the APC's location in that fight made it a GLARINGLY obvious strategy. I figured it wouldn't work because it was TOO obvious, but it worked great. It also helps that
sniping her actual body as she preps for a sniping shot takes a ton of her health off.

DangerStepp

Gamer @ Heart said:
Wow. I just got to the scene on MGS2 where fortune magicly deflects 100 rockets after finding out the secret to her "power" and where liquid takes over Ocelot when he is inside ray. Not only does his voice change but it was clear to me ocelot was totally going to kill everyone there. Wasnt he suppose to be
working with the rest of the gang in MGS4 to secretly get rid of the Patriots from within at this point? That is no act on ocelots part. From what liquid said it was he who was out to destroy the patriots and from what i remember of Eva's explination in act 3, liquid didnt fit in it at all. Is there a logical reason for this, did kojima back peddle, or am i just suppose to accept it was truly an act on ocelots part? Maybe im just wrong about Eva's explination?

Its called, Metal Gear Solid 2 - Full Story Version (part 11 Solidus) if copying the link doesnt work.

I would have hyperlinked it, but the window to allow scripted windows didnt pop up.

Any help would be great.

Yet another good point that adds to my list of questions. It seems the digger I deep the more (possible) plot holes I think I'm finding.

Gamer @ Heart said:

At that point, Ocelot was actually "possessed" by Liquid, due to using Liquid's arm. Understandably freaked out by the occurrence, he later had it replaced with a prosthetic arm.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Gamer @ Heart said:

Any help would be great.

Ocelot used Liquid's identity to protect him from being labeled as a traitor by JD. While on Arsenal, he had to play the part of Ocelot. After all, everything was being watched! As long as Liquid's personality was taking the blame, Ocelot himself remained a loyal patriot.

Imo, it might be a stretch, but it looks like Ocelot playing the part.

jett

D-Member
thetrin said:
Ocelot used Liquid's identity to protect him from being labeled as a traitor by JD. While on Arsenal, he had to play the part of Ocelot. After all, everything was being watched! As long as Liquid's personality was taking the blame, Ocelot himself remained a loyal patriot.

Only if you're a fanboy apologist.

thetrin said:

That's basically what they tell you in MGS4 and obviously, someone didn't want Raiden and Snake dead and I really doubt they survived because Fortune suddenly got powers for real

thetrin

jett said:
Only if you're a fanboy apologist.

I'm hardly an apologist. I think a lot of things in MGS2 don't mesh with things in MGS4. I'm just offering a possible explanation, instead of readying the pitchforks and fire.

thetrin said:

Thats what i figuered. It would have been a bit easier to accept if they had at least kept ocelots voice when he got "possessed".

thetrin

Formless said:
So...does anyone know why Vamp does what he does?

Which part? The bisexuality, blood drinking, the silly ballet moves, or the knife licking?

Something else i noticed watching the last hour of MGS2: They cut straight from Arsenal gear in the ocean to solidus and raiden falling on top of federal hall. Isnt this where they had footage of it crashing through NY but got cut after 9/11?

Gamer @ Heart said:
Thats what i figuered. It would have been a bit easier to accept if they had at least kept ocelots voice when he got "possessed".

They only changed the voice so people would know what was going on. It's like when they show flashbacks in black and white so people actually know they're watching a flashback.

thetrin

Gamer @ Heart said:
Something else i noticed watching the last hour of MGS2: They cut straight from Arsenal gear in the ocean to solidus and raiden falling on top of federal hall. Isnt this where they had footage of it crashing through NY but got cut after 9/11?

Yes sir.

Bizzyb

Banned
EekTheKat, tat was a pretty good interpretation of the ending. must have put some thought into it

Looking at you handle brings back memories of that crazy cartoon show.
Eek the Cat...:lol what a crazy show that was

Hey did Ocelot ever know who his real mother was??

Hearing solidus speech made me feel sorry for the guy. He was actually doing the world good. Tragic.

I cant believe i forgot all this. As interesting as the conplex story is, it makes me appreciate Snakes Eater straight foward story that much more.

sonicmj1

Gamer @ Heart said:

Any help would be great.

I guess the way it would be explained is that Ocelot pretended to turn off Fortune's device and then kill her, but actually kept Fortune's device on, and then acted surprised when everyone didn't die. Or he was actually going to kill them, because the whole plot involving Snake that goes into motion in MGS4 hadn't been fully formulated yet.

Or the whole identity of the Patriots organization and explanation for Ocelot was a massive retcon done solely to please fans who wanted everything answered, while justifying MGS3 as existing in the MGS series in terms of story, regardless of what such answers did to earlier MGS games or to MGS4.

Forget what i said about solidus. His dream was a noble one but he was still an asshole. He killed Raidens parents! Also, watching the colonol and rosemary's speech about the true S3 system and completion of GW before the final fight was great. It reminded me a bit of the matrix. Man i wish i did this refresher course before i beat 4.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Struct09 said:
Also, if you bought the MGS4LE, all those videos are on the supplemental Blu-ray.
Yeah, I just learned that the other day, and they are even stored in higher quality there, apparently. I'll take a look at that disc now that I've completed the game.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Forget what i said about solidus. His dream was a noble one but he was still an asshole.
That's pretty much how I feel about Ocelot as well. Very lovable asshole though. Great character overall, despite whatever discrepancies are brought to light about him (I don't really care all that much about complete continuity)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Danielsan said:
Well fuck. I think my brand new PS3 just died. The game won't load past the initial warning about save games. What the hell :(
Try if the problem lies in the disc. Try another game.

snack said:
They never go into detail why Raiden is the way he is, but they do allude to it,
At the end of MGS2, Snake tells Raiden to go live his life. Be a normal person, don't get caught up in the soldier life, it only ends with sadness. Raiden went on after MGS2 to find this, but the memories of his past kept haunting him. He eventually turned to alcohol to drown out the memories, but when he drank what he believed to be his "true" nature came out. He got into many fights and would come home to Rose drunk and covered in cuts and bruises. I am assuming Raiden sometimes got violent with her, which is alluded to by Rose saying she feared Raiden at some point. Eventually Rose left Raiden and told him that she had a miscarriage. Then she went on to pretend to marry Campbell in order to hide her relationship with Raiden from the Patriots.
Given the circumstances outlined above, I can see how Raiden ended up the way he did in MGS4. However, at sometimes I found his emotions to be to over-the-top and got close to whiny-bitch at the time. That being said, he never crossed that threshold and his ultra-badassness did make up for it.

Better reason to explain Raiden:

Some/most of what she said sounds just like part of the cover story to protect her child from the Patriots. She rejects him to keep the kid safe. Raiden is a bit messed up about it, and then being tortured and cybernetically modified by the Patriots in Area 51? Knowing that dying would kill Sunny? Enough to push him a bit over the edge, Grey Fox style.

Marconelly said:
Yeah, I just learned that the other day, and they are even stored in higher quality there, apparently. I'll take a look at that disc now that I've completed the game.

That's pretty much how I feel about Ocelot as well. Very lovable asshole though. Great character overall, despite whatever discrepancies are brought to light about him (I don't really care all that much about complete continuity)

Whats on the extra blu ray besides the making of? I could only find that on youtube :p.

And i feel the same about ocelot. the shit that man has been through is crazy. I can't get his voice out of my head when he says "Bro-ther!!" in Act 1.

Danielsan

Fuck what the fuck. The PS3 demands that I reformat the hardware, meaning I'll loose all my savegames. And thought the 360 was bad...
Well this is just dandy. I finished the game and now I've lost all my stuff. Have to reinstall the game... :(

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wanted to ask this - how does anyone feel about the final product matching up to the fabled 2005 TGS trailer?

Some things I noticed that go for that trailer - it was 60FPS, and it had what seemed like perfect shadow resolution (not the case in final game). The room depicted there looks visibly more detailed than in the game, there are more light sources in it, the fire on the wall is better looking etc.

Other things I noticed that go for the final game - the character's skin looks significantly better. There's none of that oily look that TGS2005 trailer had which is a huge plus for the game's visuals in my book. Skin has a nice and soft appearance almost at all times. Maybe not as good as in HS, but very nice regardless and much better than in that trailer. Also, the HDR looks somehow better here too. It has a very nice light dispersion and overall less harsh look.

Unrelated to this, but some of the characters in the game have some *really* impressive looking hair. Rose for example. I'm sure there was another character (could be Naomi, I know it's not Meryl) where I was really impressed with hair in many scenes.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Danielsan said:
Fuck what the fuck. The PS3 demands that I reformat the hardware, meaning I'll loose all my savegames. And thought the 360 was bad...

just back them up to a flash drive (if you can get that far).

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Ok, I know the reason that Ocelot
Let liquids conscious take over was so that he wouldnt be tracked by The Patriots system, but Liquid lived on through Ocelots body, so wouldnt that mean ocelots nanomachines still functioned? If thats the case, then wouldnt The patriots still be able to detect his movements?

Bizzyb said:
EekTheKat, tat was a pretty good interpretation of the ending. must have put some thought into it

Looking at you handle brings back memories of that crazy cartoon show.
Eek the Cat...:lol what a crazy show that was

Hey did Ocelot ever know who his real mother was??
:lol Probably not. Everyone else sure seemed to know though.

jett

D-Member
Marconelly said:
Wanted to ask this - how does anyone feel about the final product matching up to the fabled 2005 TGS trailer?

Some things I noticed that go for that trailer - it was 60FPS, and it had what seemed like perfect shadow resolution (not the case in final game). The room depicted there looks visibly more detailed than in the game, there are more light sources in it, the fire on the wall is better looking etc.

Other things I noticed that go for the final game - the character's skin looks significantly better. There's none of that oily look that TGS2005 trailer had which is a huge plus for the game's visuals in my book. Skin has a nice and soft appearance almost at all times. Maybe not as good as in HS, but very nice regardless and much better than in that trailer. Also, the HDR looks somehow better here too. It has a very nice light dispersion and overall less harsh look.

Unrelated to this, but some of the characters in the game have some *really* impressive looking hair. Rose for example. I'm sure there was another character (could be Naomi, I know it's not Meryl) where I was really impressed with hair in many scenes.

The TGS 2k5 CG trailer looks considerably better, and that's all. Once you watch that shit in HD, there's no comparison at all.

sonicmj1

Crazymoogle said:
Better reason to explain Raiden:

Some/most of what she said sounds just like part of the cover story to protect her child from the Patriots. She rejects him to keep the kid safe. Raiden is a bit messed up about it, and then being tortured and cybernetically modified by the Patriots in Area 51? Knowing that dying would kill Sunny? Enough to push him a bit over the edge, Grey Fox style.

That doesn't sound like it's the case.

Even as a non-ninja, Raiden is a very capable soldier. A child of his wouldn't be in danger if he were around and responsible. According to Rose (and Raiden's mental state corroborates this), Raiden went loopy before Rose did anything, including mention the miscarriage. Raiden leaves her before she tells him that, it sounds like.

The whole thing seems fishy to me. If Rose miscarries, then how did she give birth to the child at all? Did she hide in Campbell's basement or something? What the heck was her kid up to, anyways? It assumes a lot of shortsightedness on the part of the Patriots, which isn't necessarily impossible, but still seems odd.

Another random plot question that someone who read the Database in more detail can probably answer:

Arsenal Gear was a huge project. Its construction was done in secret, and an elaborate backstory had to be created to cover up its existence. It was two years between the creation of Big Shell and the completion of Arsenal. So where did another Arsenal Gear come from? The whole project seemed like a failure, so I don't get why another would have been produced.

On a semi-related note, GW being recovered because the worm in MGS2 'only cut it into pieces' is a really weak excuse.

Mromson

Danielsan said:
I had to reformat. Ughh I wish I had tried to delete the install first. Well atleast I'm warned for the next time. :(
This is sooo gonna make me backup my MGS4 save. That Chicken Emblem was friggin' hard to get!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jett said:
The TGS 2k5 CG trailer looks considerably better, and that's all. Once you watch that shit in HD, there's no comparison at all.
Wasn't that trailer still realtime, just maybe frame-by-frame recorded into a video? I have watched it just recently, and I feel pretty safe in saying that skin shader looked much worse in it.

More than anything that trailer hinted at even more tiny detail than the game ended up having I guess (which is already a huge amount), but on the other side, the game often had 10x times more stuff thrown on the screen than the relatively desolate (in comparison) trailer did.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
BlockBastard said:
Ocelot is truly a tragic character, one of the most tragic characters in the MGS universe and it's ashame that a lot of people gloss over his sacrifices because no one gave a heartbreaking monologue for him before the final credits of the game rolled. He basically sacrificed EVERYTHING due to loyalty to Big Boss and went through ridiculous lengths to accomplish his mission and always fought for what he was loyal to. I know he wasn't exactly the most pleasant character in the series, but the stuff he did.. the stuff he did brings a tear to my eye every time I think about it
Ocelot is the star of the show

jett

D-Member
Marconelly said:
Wasn't that trailer still realtime, just maybe frame-by-frame recorded into a video? I have watched it just recently, and I feel pretty safe in saying that skin shader looked much worse in it.

The skin shading is much better than the porcelain, flat skin we got instead. Maybe that's more to do with the lighting I guess. And I don't care what anyone says, that shit was so not real-time, not on a PS3 anyway.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9306169&postcount=1002

MGS4 as it is looks nice, but that trailer was total bullcrap.

JaseMath

Can anyone tell me why
Sunny mentions Solidus' name at the beginning when she's making eggs?
Not knowing is bugging the Hell out of me.

JasonMCG said:
Can anyone tell me why

There are 3 chickens: Solidus, Liquid, & Solid aboard and she means that Solidus wasn't able to produce any eggs that day.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
JasonMCG said:
Can anyone tell me why

edit: beaten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom