• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stStrike

Banned
Steroyd said:
Holy fucking shit at Big boss Extreme.

It's like... how the game is meant to played, I love that difficulty, shame I'm trying to get the Big boss medal, looks like i could have a LOT of fun on this difficulty.

Yup..it's almost an entirely different game on extreme! The AI is a lot smarter, there's more guards and you'll be hard pressed to go rambo in any part of the game.

Normal and easy modes are dumbed down quite a bit. People that complain about the game being too easy need to step up the difficulty a couple notches.

mileS

[HP] said:
I loved that final scene!
I almost fell on my knees when I saw that Snake didn't killed himself after all, and when I saw Big Boss, I almost had a fucking heart attack! I loved that scene, It was epic! It all "glues" back toguether on that brief explanation of big boss!

About fox die not killing snake after all, Naomi did injected Snake with a new generaton of fox die, than this new fox die just stoped the previous one, therefor there will be no epidemic after all, and snake will not die in 3 months like Naomi told him, he prolly got a couple of years more to enjoy life!

the new fox die was from Drebin!

effingvic said:
i think somebody mentioned this already, but i just loved the interplay between
big mama and snake. like, seriously. i wouldve loved it if snake (hehe, david XD) called her mom just once. it wouldve been awesomely cheesy and i wouldve loved every little bit of it. i got goosebumps through that whole act. and then there was big boss too.

man. the family stuff was great.

Yeah, agreed. I made a mention of it in my previous post. I actually love the fact that family was such a huge part of this game - not just family in a blood sense (Meryl & Cambell), but also within the groups (Rat Patrol 01 comes to mind, as well as Sunny & Otacon of course).

I really wanted Snake to call Eva, "Mom". Also, it almost seemed like he wanted to call Big Boss, "Dad" when Big Boss started being affected by FOXDIE.

[HP] said:
I almost fell on my knees when I saw that Snake didn't killed himself after all, and when I saw Big Boss, I almost had a fucking heart attack! I loved that scene, It was epic! It all "glues" back toguether on that brief explanation of big boss!

About fox die not killing snake after all, Naomi did injected Snake with a new generaton of fox die, than this new fox die just stoped the previous one, therefor there will be no epidemic after all, and snake will not die in 3 months like Naomi told him, he prolly got a couple of years more to enjoy life!

Unfortunately,
Snake will be passing on in 6 to 12 months. The 3 months was the time the FOXDIE would attack everyone. With that gone, Snake is still in the throws of rapid aging, and will still die in a short time.

scoobs

Opus Angelorum said:
Well I'm approaching the end of Act 1 and I have to say...I don't see what the fuss is about.

These are early impressions:

Good

- The cut-scenes are incredible, beautifully framed and directed
- The character models, lighting and environmental effects are the best I've seen
- Audio is impeccable

Bad

- Animation outside of the cut-scenes is passable, at best
- The cover system is awkward
- Dialogue is forced
- Environment feels vapid, despite an apparent war taking place
- Directed and linear progression
- Framerate
- AI is very rudimentary, at times laughable

I'll come back with more impressions when I'm further into the game.

So basically, it looks good and sounds good everything else is bad.

Thanks for your impressions, I'm gonna go ENJOY my game. But by all means, enjoy your nit-picking.

[HP]

Opus Angelorum said:
Well I'm approaching the end of Act 1 and I have to say...I don't see what the fuss is about.

Shun the non-believers! :lol

Opus Angelorum said:

Lol, please tell me which games have you been playing, cos I would love to take a look at the AI of those...
And if you think MGS4 AI is bad, you should try playing Crysis, or any sandbox like game.

Opus Angelorum said:
I'll come back with more impressions when I'm further into the game

Please do, only when you finish the game tho!

[HP] said:
Shun the non-believers! :lol

Lol, please tell me which games have you been playing, cos I would love to take a look at the AI of those...
And if you think MGS4 AI is bad, you should try playing Crysis, or any sandbox like game.

Please do, only when you finish the game tho!

crysis AI can be decent in parts...uncharted is probably some of the best Ive seen though.

I can really remember any games with amazing AI though

AndresON777

shooting blanks
[HP] said:

LOL yeah i got tears in my eyes in that last scene
especially when otacon told sunny that snake had had a hard life. but thanks! good to know snake is still alive even if only for a while longer. loved the boss fight with liquid, thank god for all those years of tekken. the crawling thru the microwaves was epic, best button mashing ever. also, i was really scared of facing screaming mantis but it turned out to not be as hard. the game made me sweat, i swear i was always amazed at getting thru the stages in act 5 since vamp left me with 2 rations and no revives

AndresON777

shooting blanks
LJ11 said:
I was around 150 my first time through.

i got 432 on solid normal. i started big boss hard last night and i'm killing everyone and everything except for the beauties.
i want the dolls or whatever, i'm already having a blast killing the tank things with the rail gun, the damn rebels always have hearts over their head when i'm around....i feel like the people's hero...lol. i'm having a blast, i dont think i can do a no alert run though....and i love killing frogs. oh and i love the mantis doll, just lifting up the soldiers in the air. and those bullets that induce laughing, crying, screaming, rage, nice.

Ephemeris

Zep said:
How many kills did everyone end the game with?(On your first run-through)

I had 484

6 or 7 I believe.

I didn't know blowing up the Striker counted as a kill; and when Octacon told me to shoot at the manned mech suits I thought it was okay >__>

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Ephemeris said:
6 or 7 I believe.

I didn't know blowing up the Striker counted as a kill; and when Octacon told me to shoot at the manned mech suits I thought it was okay >__>
Hmm, yeah, those manned robot suits from the beginning of Act2... Where the hell were they in the game? Did I just see something wrong in that cutscene? Or are you saying you got to fight them somewhere?

darkjacob

Banned
Orlics said:
Hardcore MGS fans will tell you that while Snake Eater is a great and fun game, it retconned some things and was a letdown as a Metal Gear Solid game after MGS2.

The reason why MGS 3 reconned the story was because of the whiners like the people who are whining about MGS 4 now, who hated MGS 2 storyline, and kojima had to end up re-writing and reconning the whole series starting with MGS 3.
Thus MGS storyline got eff'd up to the point, where it has all these contradicting plot-holes. (and it's all thanks to the whiners)
Still plot-holes aside, the story for MGS 3 & MGS 4 are amazing entertaining pieces of works and let's not forget they're also very good games.

Ephemeris

Marconelly said:
Hmm, yeah, those manned robot suits from the beginning of Act2... Where the hell were they in the game? Did I just see something wrong in that cutscene? Or are you saying you got to fight them somewhere?

Near the end of Act 2 actually. They blast through the gates
on the area with the "zombie soldiers" when you're on drebin's APC for the first time I believe

Danielsan

nelsonroyale said:
crysis AI can be decent in parts...uncharted is probably some of the best Ive seen though.

I can really remember any games with amazing AI though
F.E.A.R, easily the best enemy a.i I've encountered thusfar. MGS4's a.i isn't horrible but sometimes it's pretty retarded that they don't notice Snake.

Started a new game from scratch (seeing as I lost my save games...). Finished the first act without killing a single enemy. It's so awsome that the game can be played in such a different matter. I have to apply completely different tactics.

Danielsan

Kuroyume said:
I thought the ending to Act 3 was retarded.
He can shoot down helicopters and control guns with his fingers? What?
GOP
He doesn't shoot down the helicopters with his fingers. He controlls all the weaponry through the GOP system. He just shuts off the helicopters, the finger movements are just showing off.

okay, im playing the original PSX version of MGS and holy fuck, I want to stab mei ling. how did you guys bear with that awful accent of hers? and theres actual people that prefer that voice to her new one? w..what?

[HP] said:
Please do, only when you finish the game though!

I don't plan to comment again until I have finished the game, because clearly my early impressions are ill-informed, biased and petty.

This place is unbearable at times.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Kuroyume said:
I thought the ending to Act 3 was retarded.
He can shoot down helicopters and control guns with his fingers? What?

1208866942968.jpg

seriously lol'ing so hard right now

Did anyone forget the passcode
to the lab in Act 4? On a repeat playthrough, I made the mistake of skipping over the codec conversation with Otacon where he tells you the code. I input the wrong code, and boy did they make me feel like shit for putting Snake through that.:lol

Anyway I had a similarly pitiful "senior moment" earlier today when I drove two miles in rush hour traffic to get a replacement part, only to forget what it was I needed to replace and had to drive back home to check again. I swear I immediately thought of the lab passcode scene when this happened. Coincidentally, I felt like shit afterwards. :lol

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Attack You said:
Did anyone forget the passcode
to the lab in Act 4? On a repeat playthrough, I made the mistake of skipping over the codec conversation with Otacon where he tells you the code. I input the wrong code, and boy did they make me feel like shit for putting Snake through that.:lol

Anyway I had a similarly pitiful "senior moment" earlier today when I drove two miles in rush hour traffic to get a replacement part, only to forget what it was I needed to replace and had to drive back home to check again. I swear I immediately thought of the lab passcode scene when this happened. Coincidentally, I felt like shit afterwards. :lol

I did the second play through so i could get extra drebin points, but i felt like shit afterwards lol

Doc Evils

I found this on an other forum, and I know a few people wanted this but I'm not sure I can post the link since it is a torrent.

I was annoyed that there was no demo theater after the completion of MGS4, so I decided to play through the entire game for a second time and record ALL of the cutscenes ALL of the codec calls and ALL of the boss fights. Then edit them all together to make one big orgy of a movie for all of the fellow MGS fans out there, so sit back, open up a beer and enjoy the movie, it's long... like really long.

Total running time: 9 hours, 40 minutes and 42 seconds

The resolution is 856x480 and was capture via my PS3 to PC capture card and was recorded at 24 frames per second. And the audio format was PCM 44100 hertz, 16bits, 2 channels.

Then after I captured it I ran all the files through VirtualDub to crop the picture, for compresion I used Huffyuv lossless video codec then did all the editing in Windows Movie Maker.

Screenshot taken in windows movie maker
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/3181/01metalgearsolid4gunsofuw8.jpg
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/3664/05metalgearsolid4gunsofcu5.jpg

If mod's approve I'll post the link.

tha_con

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:

These are early impressions:

Good

- The cut-scenes are incredible, beautifully framed and directed
- The character models, lighting and environmental effects are the best I've seen
- Audio is impeccable

Bad

- Animation outside of the cut-scenes is passable, at best
- The cover system is awkward
- Dialogue is forced
- Environment feels vapid, despite an apparent war taking place
- Directed and linear progression
- Framerate

I'll come back with more impressions when I'm further into the game.

Since you hooked me up with the Insom podcast a few weeks back, I'll spare your life.

*sneaks away*

Danielsan

No_Style said:
You mean the Frogs?
No, they're humans in mechsuits. They appear at the same time with the zombie like soldiers.

edit: well fuck, I guess they do count as humans. Either that or some of those zombies got between me and my gattteling gun. Guess I need to restart from the boss battle.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Danielsan said:
Can anyone tell me if the part mech part human enemies in act 2 can be killed if I want to go for a no kills run?

The power suits, or the Gekko? No to the former, yes to the latter.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Doc Evils said:
I found this on an other forum, and I know a few people wanted this but I'm not sure I can post the link since it is a torrent.

If mod's approve I'll post the link.

Ohhh nice.

Solo

While the poster currently being dragged through the coals - for not getting what was going on in that scene - is rather humorous, I still maintain that it was cheesy as hell to have Ocelot hamming it up like that. Same with when he taunts Snake on
Shadow Moses after the Rex/Ray fight.
Both were cringeworthy moments.

Weenerz

Banned
Since I've been banned for a month, I haven't had a chance to comment on this masterpiece. I didn't have a PS3 before it came out and even after beating MGS4 2 times already, I don't regret dropping the $500 on the 80gb bundle. Bravo Kojima and co.

Solo said:
While the poster currently being dragged through the coals - for not getting what was going on in that scene - is rather humorous, I still maintain that it was cheesy as hell to have Ocelot hamming it up like that. Same with when he taunts Snake on
Shadow Moses after the Rex/Ray fight.
Both were cringeworthy moments.

Ocelot was doing his best Nicholas Cage Face/Off impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom