• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaaz

Having finished it, I must say that going through
Shadow Moses
in Act 4 while wearing the
young snake face camo w/ headband
was one of my most memorable gaming moments ever.

patsu

tribal24 said:
im starting to think mgs 4 ruined gaming for me-_- , i cant enjoy other games now

Well.... after playing it back-to-back twice... I feel a little void in my stomach. May have to do a third run :p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TTP said:
BTW, am I the only one feeling like a gameplay section was cut right before that part?
I thought the same thing :( Loved that part in MGS3.

Solo said:
While the poster currently being dragged through the coals - for not getting what was going on in that scene - is rather humorous, I still maintain that it was cheesy as hell to have Ocelot hamming it up like that. Same with when he taunts Snake on
Shadow Moses after the Rex/Ray fight.
Both were cringeworthy moments.
I thought it was genuinely funny and not cringeworthy in the slightest. OK, the *fox?* *DIE!* moment was, but his little happy dance run afterwards was just so completely in his crazy villain character. As for his end of Act 3 shenanigans - again 100% in Liquids (or Ocelot's for that matter) character, and it made me laugh because I just knew where it was going when he started shooting. Besides, and this goes to Kuroyume as well - if you were him there, you'd do the same exact thing if you could, and you know it.

Darkpen

Banned
you know what I want?

I want someone who can do a convincing Winston Churchill impersonation to read the lines that Snake does at the beginning of MGS4, the whole "War has changed" monologue.

I think it'd be hilarious :lol

Farnack

Banned
effingvic said:
okay, im playing the original PSX version of MGS and holy fuck, I want to stab mei ling. how did you guys bear with that awful accent of hers? and theres actual people that prefer that voice to her new one? w..what?
That accent is sexy.
patsu said:
Well.... after playing it back-to-back twice... I feel a little void in my stomach. May have to do a third run :p
I've done 11 runs.

Awntawn

jett said:
This is something that annoyed me about MGS4. It acts like there was a game inbetween MGS2 and MGS4(chronologically speaking) that explains all this shit.
Ever watched Star Wars? They act like there are movies between the movies that explain all that shit.

rcua1884

effingvic said:
okay, im playing the original PSX version of MGS and holy fuck, I want to stab mei ling. how did you guys bear with that awful accent of hers? and theres actual people that prefer that voice to her new one? w..what?

Nothing hotter than a Chinese-American girl inexplicably speaking in a Chinese accent. Character inconsistencies FTW!

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
jaaz said:
Having finished it, I must say that going through
Shadow Moses
in Act 4 while wearing the
young snake face camo w/ headband
was one of my most memorable gaming moments ever.
Dude I played that entire act on my second run with song on the Ipod
The Best is yet to come
just pure fucking awesome.

*Hell I am listening to that song right now on my Zune.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
rcua1884 said:
Nothing hotter than a Chinese-American girl inexplicably speaking in a Chinese accent. Character inconsistencies FTW!

Fuck yeah Mei Lin in
Act 5 Debriefing very very nice piece of ass
:D :D

Stillmatic

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before regarding Boss Extreme runs (or any for that matter). But i've found a way to check out your alert/kills/recovery items used/time/continues status at any point as long as you have a save file, which is really handy for Boss Extreme runs. Just save your game and exit to the main menu, select mission briefing, load up the save you want to check out and select any mission briefing, your status for everything scrolls along the bottom while the briefing plays.

No_Style

DunpealD said:
Your jealousy is speaking don't whine about something you'd like to do as well.

EDIT: It would have been great if they'd have put Guns of the Patriots as a secret weapon for Snake. :lol

That would have been hilarious!

careksims

TTP said:
BTW, am I the only one feeling like a gameplay section was cut right before that part?
After defeating Raven, when Snake and Eva go underground. I was totally expecting an "Ico style" moment there. Eva is hurt much like she was after the bike scene in MGS3 after all.

Oh hell yeah! I was in the same boat, getting all prepared for it and dreading it XD

NeoUltima

So...questions regarding the ending.
Major spoilers
1) When/where did Big Boss learn all the stuff at the end? I thought Big Boss said he was in a coma until the system was destroyed? If so, he couldn't have talked to Naomi, etc. So when did he learn about the FoxDie and Ocelot's plan?
2) Since EVA reconstructed Big Boss's body, I imagine she knew the body being burnt was Solidus'? I'm sure she would have noticed that they were missing different eyes so yeah..(right?)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Where can I has more of this art:

1214346830855.jpg

Thought I'd post what I need to post, since this thread is one for the ages.

MGS4 was brilliant from start to finish. I had been anticipating this one for awhile and it fully, fully delivered. After being a fan of Solid Snake then having Naked Snake's story absolutely blow me away and become a fan of his, man, I'm again a Solid Snake fan. Both characters are quite complex, and compelling.

One of my most favorite games ever, and I can't wait to go through it multiple times.

<3

Darkpen

Banned
NeoUltima said:
So...questions regarding the ending.
Major spoilers
1) When/where did Big Boss learn all the stuff at the end? I thought Big Boss said he was in a coma until the system was destroyed? If so, he couldn't have talked to Naomi, etc. So when did he learn about the FoxDie and Ocelot's plan?
2) Since EVA reconstructed Big Boss's body, I imagine she knew the body being burnt was Solidus'? I'm sure she would have noticed that they were missing different eyes so yeah..(right?)
its never explained in the game itself, but
I imagine she recorded herself, just like how she did for the fox alive virus.

Also, remember, everyone was acting. EVA probably knew, but she accepted her death.

Y2Kev said:
Best line in the game:

I am lightning, the rain transformed.
it is :D

Gotta love that
electronic voice box

jett said:
Here's a question...
WTF is the "triangle button" icon in the final fight with Liquid supposed to represent?
It's part of the counter system.
Just like in the REXvRAY fight.

Hit R1 twice for a quick 1-2 jab, keep hitting it to come off the 1-2 into an upercut followed by a roundhouse.

Hold L1 to block. While holding L1, tap R1 to throw straights that dislodge his guard, if you throw a straight right as he's throwing his you'll do a cross counter.

X is your duck and dash button when not blocking. Hit forward X then come out of the dash by hitting R1 to do a liver blow, this staggers him and enables you to get into CQC more easily.

Press and hold R1 to do a CQC hold, (don't wiff cause he will punish you really hard with his corkscrew) once you have him in the hold you can do a couple things, rotate the left analogue stick to choke him, or hit R1 to start bashing his brains out, in the first part of the fight you can get about 3 hits before the counter prompt (that triangle thing) pops up, if you hit it you'll finish off with one last big hit, if you fuck up he'll reverse the hold and beat your ass.

Also note that the CQC holds and animations are context sensitive, so depending on where you are you'll launch into a different grapple.

Solo

MickeyKnox said:
It's part of the counter system

I think he is asking what the hell the icon is, not what it does. For the record, I was wondering too every time it popped up. Looks like a missile or something, lol.

NeoUltima

Darkpen said:
its never explained in the game itself, but
I imagine she recorded herself, just like how she did for the fox alive virus.

Also, remember, everyone was acting. EVA probably knew, but she accepted her death.
Ye that probably makes the most sense. However...
EVA wasn't in league with Ocelot was she? The strategy guide says that she wasn't. What incentive would she have had to act unless she was?

sonicmj1

I beat the game once, and I started a second run. However, the whole time through, my disk drive was making grinding sounds, and my MGS4 disk has scratches on it. I called Sony, and they're going to fix it so that my PS3 doesn't scratch my disk anymore. But, of course, I can't send it back until the box arrives.

I really like MGS4, and I'd totally play it more if I could. Should I play the game, and risk scratching the disk to the point of unplayability? Or should I play it safe, and abstain from MGS4 until my PS3 is fixed?

birdman

Y2Kev said:
Best line in the game:

I am lightning, the rain transformed.

I absolutely loved the dialog
between Snake and Raiden that led up to the lightning quote. Snake's an awesome pick-me-upper.

TheMissingLink said:
Thought I'd post what I need to post, since this thread is one for the ages.

MGS4 was brilliant from start to finish. I had been anticipating this one for awhile and it fully, fully delivered. After being a fan of Solid Snake then having Naked Snake's story absolutely blow me away and become a fan of his, man, I'm again a Solid Snake fan. Both characters are quite complex, and compelling.

One of my most favorite games ever, and I can't wait to go through it multiple times.

<3

Yeah I totally agree man cant wait to play it again.

Johnas

NeoUltima said:
Ye that probably makes the most sense. However...
EVA wasn't in league with Ocelot was she? The strategy guide says that she wasn't. What incentive would she have had to act unless she was?

That has to be an error on the guide's part then. It just doesn't make sense.
She reconstructed Big Boss's body herself, so she had to know that was Solidus' body at the river, which itself means that the whole thing was an act. How much detail does the guide provide (even though I disagree with it)?

h3ro

BruceLeeRoy said:
*Raiden Pic*

This guy right here has been redeemed.

What a unbelievable bad ass.

Seriously. He was the exact opposite of what he was in MGS2. Complete badassery.
I hoped Kojima would let us control him again

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
BruceLeeRoy said:
[G]http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/713/713050/metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20060616024420416.jpg[/IMG]

This guy right here has been redeemed.

What a unbelievable bad ass.

Yea I totally agree,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom