• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBoss

I was looking at the qualifications for some of the emblems (chokehold 100 people, inject 50 people) and I was wondering if attacking the militia counted or is it only for the PMC?

Johnas

I'm not trying to crap on MGS4 by saying this, but I had a feeling before I played it that for me personally it wouldn't surpass MGS3, and my gut was right in that it didn't. It's still a remarkable achievement in gaming, but MGS3 has a sense of cohesion that I feel MGS4 lacks, and MGS4 did not impact me emotionally nearly as much as MGS3 did. For most people, that seems to be the opposite, but it just wasn't that way for me.

I'm not saying I was disappointed in MGS4; I wasn't overall. I still wish
we would have gotten to pull the trigger on Snake at the end
, I thought that would have been one of the most memorable moments ever in gaming, although I did enjoy the twist otherwise provided. It's just that I was expecting a game slighlty less great than MGS3, and for me that's what I got. 3 is still the pinnacle in the series at this point.

After a lot of thought, I still feel that
the end result of MGS4 was compromised to some degree from fan pressure, and that sucks. We still got an awesome product, don't get me wrong, but in the back of my mind I wonder what might have been if Kojima felt complete freedom to do exactly what he wanted. Who knows, maybe for the most part he did, the game is still on par with the level of excellence MGS is known for. I just can't help but think about Zelda: TP though, how we know for certain that one of the motivations behind that game was an attempt to bow to fanboy pressure. That isn't a bad thing in and of itself, but it is to whatever degree it limits the creator's creativity.

I know these things have been said in various other ways in this thread, that I'm really not offering much in the way of new thought here. But it is the way I feel about the game. All said, still a remarkable title that will surely remain in "greatest games ever" lists for decades to come, deservedly so.

Johnas said:
I'm not trying to crap on MGS4 by saying this, but I had a feeling before I played it that for me personally it wouldn't surpass MGS3, and my gut was right in that it didn't. It's still a remarkable achievement in gaming, but MGS3 has a sense of cohesion that I feel MGS4 lacks, and MGS4 did not impact me emotionally nearly as much as MGS3 did. For most people, that seems to be the opposite, but it just wasn't that way for me.

I'm not saying I was disappointed in MGS4; I wasn't overall. I still wish
we would have gotten to pull the trigger on Snake at the end
, I thought that would have been one of the most memorable moments ever in gaming, although I did enjoy the twist otherwise provided. It's just that I was expecting a game slighlty less great than MGS3, and for me that's what I got. 3 is still the pinnacle in the series at this point.

After a lot of thought, I still feel that
the end result of MGS4 was compromised to some degree from fan pressure, and that sucks. We still got an awesome product, don't get me wrong, but in the back of my mind I wonder what might have been if Kojima felt complete freedom to do exactly what he wanted. Who knows, maybe for the most part he did, the game is still on par with the level of excellence MGS is known for. I just can't help but think about Zelda: TP though, how we know for certain that one of the motivations behind that game was an attempt to bow to fanboy pressure. That isn't a bad thing in and of itself, but it is to whatever degree it limits the creator's creativity.

I know these things have been said in various other ways in this thread, that I'm really not offering much in the way of new thought here. But it is the way I feel about the game. All said, still a remarkable title that will surely remain in "greatest games ever" lists for decades to come, deservedly so.
I agree in part. The ending while great wasn't what I think Kojima wanted to do originally, felt forced.

Darkpen

Banned
:lol

oh my god, so okay, I'm fighting
Vamp on TBE, right? and I try my normal approach, which is to fill him with the anti-tank sniper rounds, and I keep having trouble trying to kill him, so I think to myself "maybe I should try a stamina approach instead." So I go into my inventory, and I think "....the Sun gun... its from Boktai, the game about vampires, maybe this'll work"

So I try it, and bam, 1 shot stamina all the way down :lol holy crap

It actually took me a few tries to pull it off without him hitting me first, because I kept messing up in one way or another, but I pulled it off. Pretty fucking hilarious discovery though :lol oh god.

The best part is that Vamp burns after being shot by the Sun gun :lol

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
MickeyKnox said:
I prefer "sounds like a perfect job for me." The delivery and context was awesome.

How about

"We were good partners... [pause]" "No, good friends"

careksims

BruceLeeRoy said:
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/713/713050/metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20060616024420416.jpg

This guy right here has been redeemed.

What a unbelievable bad ass.

Oh hell yeah. I totally loved him in this one. I dunno how Kojima does it! Made me totally hate him in 2 and then it's the opposite in 4.

Costanza

Banned
Darkpen said:

Vamp on TBE, right? and I try my normal approach, which is to fill him with the anti-tank sniper rounds, and I keep having trouble trying to kill him, so I think to myself "maybe I should try a stamina approach instead." So I go into my inventory, and I think "....the Sun gun... its from Boktai, the game about vampires, maybe this'll work"

It actually took me a few tries to pull it off without him hitting me first, because I kept messing up in one way or another, but I pulled it off. Pretty fucking hilarious discovery though :lol oh god.

That's fucking awesome. :lol

Maggot9

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
It's part of the counter system.
Just like in the REXvRAY fight.

Hit R1 twice for a quick 1-2 jab, keep hitting it to come off the 1-2 into an upercut followed by a roundhouse.

Hold L1 to block. While holding L1, tap R1 to throw straights that dislodge his guard, if you throw a straight right as he's throwing his you'll do a cross counter.

X is your duck and dash button when not blocking. Hit forward X then come out of the dash by hitting R1 to do a liver blow, this staggers him and enables you to get into CQC more easily.

Press and hold R1 to do a CQC hold, (don't wiff cause he will punish you really hard with his corkscrew) once you have him in the hold you can do a couple things, rotate the left analogue stick to choke him, or hit R1 to start bashing his brains out, in the first part of the fight you can get about 3 hits before the counter prompt (that triangle thing) pops up, if you hit it you'll finish off with one last big hit, if you fuck up he'll reverse the hold and beat your ass.

Also note that the CQC holds and animations are context sensitive, so depending on where you are you'll launch into a different grapple.
what the FUCK. the only thing i've done in that fight is tap X to dodge and tap R1 to strike.

1stStrike

Banned
Doc Evils said:
I found this on an other forum, and I know a few people wanted this but I'm not sure I can post the link since it is a torrent.

If mod's approve I'll post the link.

Send me the link so I can make a music video!

Maggot9 said:
what the FUCK. the only thing i've done in that fight is tap X to dodge and tap R1 to strike.

You haven't done it on big boss hard or big boss extreme then have you?

Ploid 3.0

Darkpen said:

:lol :lol Darn sneaky Konami twist. Awesome easter egg. I wonder what the codec call after that would have been if it had the codec system of the past mgs games.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
kozmo7 said:
How about

"We were good partners... [pause]" "No, good friends"
best line:
"you wouldn't let me suffer sunny's eggs alone would you?"

it's not badass but it got me choked up.

kozmo7

Red Blaster said:
This, apparently, is lifted directly from the end of Policenauts.

Seriously? I laughed at that part.

Oh, I really would like to find this out. Is anyone able to ID what type of sunglasses Liquid Ocelot wears?

liquidocelot_sunglasses1.jpg

Considering how many other things in the game are based off of real products this has to be a real brand, right? Maybe Japanese Gaf knows.

Ploid 3.0 said:
:lol :lol Darn sneaky Konami twist. Awesome easter egg. I wonder what the codec call after that would have been if it had the codec system of the past mgs games.

The game *is* sneakily responsive about this stuff. Try calling
Rose
when you are holding rations, or after you die. It just seems to be somewhat time limited in terms of when you access certain conversations (
such as how Snake knows CQC.
) I wonder if the game mentions this particular easter egg...

rcua1884

h3ro said:
How do I get the
solar gun
?
Tranq all the bosses in their beast forms and a doll will appear somewhere on the stage during their beauty forms. Collect those. Also, you have to tranq all the
FROGs in the Advent Palace
A doll will appear in the garage after that confrontation. Collect all five and you'll get your
solar gun

Maggot9 said:
You can get away with it on the easier difficulties, but from BB hard and up it gets really intense, but still fun as hell.

I wish there was a way to activate that mode as the default melee system of the main game.

hirokazu

sonicmj1 said:
I guess the way it would be explained is that Ocelot pretended to turn off Fortune's device and then kill her, but actually kept Fortune's device on, and then acted surprised when everyone didn't die. Or he was actually going to kill them, because the whole plot involving Snake that goes into motion in MGS4 hadn't been fully formulated yet.

Or the whole identity of the Patriots organization and explanation for Ocelot was a massive retcon done solely to please fans who wanted everything answered, while justifying MGS3 as existing in the MGS series in terms of story, regardless of what such answers did to earlier MGS games or to MGS4.
Um, I thought Ocelot
was genuinely under Liquid's control at that point. Either MGS4 or the Database or both mentioned that he was finally able to maintain control of his own mind after grafting a cybernetic arm between his body and Liquid's forearm. After that, he pretended to have been taken over by Liquid via hypnosis, self-suggestion and all that. That means, in MGS2, whenever he appeared to be taken over by Liquid, he really was, but in MGS4, it was all Ocelot.

kozmo7

Has anyone here actually gotten the Big Boss rating? I've always thought I was above average at MGS but holy christ is that impossible for me.

Same with Fox Hound or Fox or Hound.. hell some of these ratings seem impossible, just like in MGS3.. I must suck haha

rcua1884

I don't know about you guys, but after looking up info on Yumi Kikuchi and how much she's involved with Kojima Productions, I get the feeling something's going on between her and Kojima. Maybe it's nothing more than an artist/muse type of relationship a la Quentin Tarantino and Uma Thurman. But, can you blame the guy if there was something really going on there?

YumiKikuchi.jpg

I certainly can't blame him.

Brad

Act 3 Question / Problem

I just started Act 3 and I have to track the resistance member, however after getting noticed the first time and starting over I am unable to find him again. All I can hear is the resistance guy whistling. After looking for him for 5 mins or so Otacon says I've lost my non-existent target. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Has a site listed all of the known easter eggs and culture references in MGS4 yet? I am sure a lot of been posted in this thread but that would be a lot of hunting and pecking.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet or not, but we were talking at work about Drebin and how that is the name of the Leslie Neilsen's character from the Naked Gun films. Drebin strips the ID from guns thus making them a "naked gun."

Another thing, I was looking through the manual for the first time (after I beat the game, lol) and I noticed Drebin's name is misspelled as Dorebin.
Look on page 30, the bottom of the middle picture where he is holding out the hand grenade.

rcua1884 said:
I don't know about you guys, but after looking up info on Yumi Kikuchi and how much she's involved with Kojima Productions, I get the feeling something's going on between her and Kojima. Maybe it's nothing more than an artist/muse type of relationship a la Quentin Tarantino and Uma Thurman. But, can you blame the guy if there was something really going on there?

I certainly can't blame her.

No one can resist Kojimas charm

1stStrike

Banned
kozmo7 said:
Has anyone here actually gotten the Big Boss rating? I've always thought I was above average at MGS but holy christ is that impossible for me.

Same with Fox Hound or Fox or Hound.. hell some of these ratings seem impossible, just like in MGS3.. I must suck haha

Yea, I and several others got the big boss badge.

untoldhero said:
Sorry for being a pain and i'm sure it's been asked before but what are the ultimate requirements for Big Boss rank?

Beat the game in under 5 hours on the boss extreme with 0 kills, 0 continues, 0 healing items used, 0 alerts, no special items used.

kozmo7

1stStrike said:
Yea, I and several others got the big boss badge.

Beat the game in under 5 hours on the boss extreme with 0 kills, 0 continues, 0 healing items used, 0 alerts, no special items used.

That's exactly what I am talking about. HOW THE HELL!? :lol The main thing that really gets me is the no healing items.

NeoUltima

Johnas said:
That has to be an error on the guide's part then. It just doesn't make sense.
She reconstructed Big Boss's body herself, so she had to know that was Solidus' body at the river, which itself means that the whole thing was an act. How much detail does the guide provide (even though I disagree with it)?
Yup, the guide is wrong it seems. The Database, in multiple instances, says how
Ocelot, Naomi, and EVA were working together.

patsu

Brad said:
Act 3 Question / Problem

I just started Act 3 and I have to track the resistance member, however after getting noticed the first time and starting over I am unable to find him again. All I can hear is the resistance guy whistling. After looking for him for 5 mins or so Otacon says I've lost my non-existent target. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Point your gun at every human in that level. *ONLY* the Resistance member has a blue label. Don't mind his outfit.

1stStrike

Banned
kozmo7 said:
That's exactly what I am talking about. HOW THE HELL!? :lol The main thing that really gets me is the no healing items.

You just need to make use of the ipod, play carefully (and quickly) and avoid being shot often :p

And yea, certain parts of the game could take 1 - 2 hours of restarting to get it right.

I actually had to redo all of chapter 5 after I had beaten the game, finally got through the credits and..had 1 kill in the
screaming mantis
fight. I was just like..wwwtttff D:

Cartman86

Banned
Stillmatic said:
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before regarding Boss Extreme runs (or any for that matter). But i've found a way to check out your alert/kills/recovery items used/time/continues status at any point as long as you have a save file, which is really handy for Boss Extreme runs. Just save your game and exit to the main menu, select mission briefing, load up the save you want to check out and select any mission briefing, your status for everything scrolls along the bottom while the briefing plays.

If true then this is awesome. I don't need it anymore, but I never saw this mentioned. Should help a lot of people.

blindrocket said:
Has a site listed all of the known easter eggs and culture references in MGS4 yet? I am sure a lot of been posted in this thread but that would be a lot of hunting and pecking.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet or not, but we were talking at work about Drebin and how that is the name of the Leslie Neilsen's character from the Naked Gun films. Drebin strips the ID from guns thus making them a "naked gun."
Another thing, I was looking through the manual for the first time (after I beat the game, lol) and I noticed Drebin's name is misspelled as Dorebin.
Look on page 30, the bottom of the middle picture where he is holding out the hand grenade.

Quoted for awesomeness, where and how does Kojima come up with this shit?

hirokazu

Solo said:
Same with when he taunts Snake on
Shadow Moses after the Rex/Ray fight.
Both were cringeworthy moments.
Yeah, it was really cheesy, but I thought it was funny as hell. I actually laughed out loud at that.

But come to think of it, I don't think I've ever heard one positive comment from you about this game, like ever.

gantz85

Banned
hirokazu said:
Yeah, it was really cheesy, but I thought it was funny as hell. I actually laughed out loud at that.

But come to think of it, I don't think I've ever heard one positive comment from you about this game, like ever.

Funnily enough, those were characteristically far more "Ocelot" than "Liquid".

hirokazu

Stillmatic said:
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before regarding Boss Extreme runs (or any for that matter). But i've found a way to check out your alert/kills/recovery items used/time/continues status at any point as long as you have a save file, which is really handy for Boss Extreme runs. Just save your game and exit to the main menu, select mission briefing, load up the save you want to check out and select any mission briefing, your status for everything scrolls along the bottom while the briefing plays.
That's fucking ingenious, I can't believe I never thought of that earlier! That said, I've managed to go through it (up to Act 5 now) without any unexpected kills at the end of each cchapter, apart from my first run through Act 1, where I got 1 kill and I didn't even know where.

Darkpen

Banned
IMG_2020.jpg

D:

THAT TOOK FOREVER ; ;

So many freaking retries, but I finally did it. Now all I need to do is get the Altair outfit, and I'm all set. Maybe even try for the Chicken emblem, but maybe later.

Seriously though, that
bike chase w/ Eva was a bitch. Smoke grenades and auto-aim twin barrel v-ring shots ftw

hirokazu

Darkpen said:

I'm not sure if that's actually related to the
Solar Gun. I knocked out all his stamina in one hit with V.Ring shots once on my first play through, this was after he had "died" and revived twice IIRC. My guess is that because he had just revived, he takes a lot more damage in one hit in certain circumstances. The burning thing, I'll have to check that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom