• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielsan

1stStrike said:
I took the time to help them, then ran up the left side (not the side that
Drebin drives down
) grabbed the tranq ammo, went to the next screen, hung a left, sniped everyone with the sniper tranqs and then ran to the next screen. Had plenty of time to spare.
Wait wait wait... You can use tranqualizer ammo with the sniper rifles? Damn, I've tranqued everyone during act 1 and 2 using the little tranq gun. :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Danielsan said:
Wait wait wait... You can use tranqualizer ammo with the sniper rifles? Damn, I've tranqued everyone during act 1 and 2 using the little tranq gun. :lol
Only the Mosin Nagint. The weapons whos icons are blue are non-lethal. There is a type of shotgun round that is also non-lethal.

glaurung

Coming to work after a short break and finishing MGS4 during that tiny vacation has given me a chance to reflect on the experience.

While I am still in awe of the overall emotions and the cascade of story twists, I started thinking about the localization problems of the dialogue, especially during cut scenes. The thing is - I know for a fact that the Japanese version fares way better in this sense.

The problem seems to be that whoever did the original translation and dialogue trees - he kept them as close and correct to the Japanese version as possible. Which is not a bad thing, but Japanese as a language is worlds away from simple English. A lot of the speech could have been considerably shorter, with more punch per syllable.

But then again, that is Metal Gear.

And I fucking love Metal Gear.

How do you get the burnt Solidus camouflage?

glaurung

Rez>You said:
Only the Mosin Nagint. The weapons whos icons are blue are non-lethal. There is a type of shotgun round that is also non-lethal.

There are also some stun grenades for the launcher and sleeping gas mines.

Plenty of hardware for the non-lethal approach, however I was hoping of getting a better tranq sniper rifle before the end.

antiloop

I have a feeling this Zero Punctuation is going to be epic. Maybe he will get tired of it and skip all the cut-scenes.

He doesn't seem like a metal gear fan type.

I don't think I'll ever have the patience to do a Big Boss run in 4 even though I did them in all previous MGS games. Shooting fools is just so much fun here that I can resist doing something violent to unsuspecting enemy soldiers.

I can't bring myself to kill the Haven troopers though ;_;

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
glaurung said:
How do you get the burnt Solidus camouflage?
Prayers.

Get Big Boss rank: complete the game in under 5 hours on "The Boss Extreme" with 0 alerts, kills, continues and recovery items used. Yep.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Rez>You said:
Prayers.

Get Big Boss rank: complete the game in under 5 hours on "The Boss Extreme" with 0 alerts, kills, continues and recovery items used. Yep.

That's for the
mask
. He only need to use Continue for over 40 times for the
camouflage

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
kamorra said:
That's for the
mask
camouflage
Ah right. I was unaware the camo even existed, heh.

hirokazu

BlockBastard said:
I don't think I'll ever have the patience to do a Big Boss run in 4 even though I did them in all previous MGS games. Shooting fools is just so much fun here that I can resist doing something violent to unsuspecting enemy soldiers.

I can't bring myself to kill the Haven troopers though ;_;
I got almost 500 kills in my first play because I killed pretty much everyone that was in my way, wth the exception of rebels/militia :lol

Doing no kill/no alert really changes the way you have to think and play if you went running and gunning the first time, it's so much fun.

1stStrike

Banned
Rez>You said:

The shotty ammo is named vrings. Also, slugs fuck shit up too if you're out to kill stuff. The range on them is ridiculous too. There's people in MGO that snipe with shotgun slugs.

And, the mosin nagint is awesome. I really love that gun.

Baryn

Banned
Kydd BlaZe said:
Hmmm...just finished the game last night.

Big dissapointment for me. Too...many...fucking...cutscenes. It's not that they're particularly bad, in fact some of them we're really epic. It's just that they were overly and needlessly long, with a lot of unnecessary dialogue. They felt stretched to the point that it annoyed the shit out of me. Make no mistake, MGS4 is still a great game, it's just that I felt that there needed to be more gameplay, and a lot less chit chat.

The original MGS still holds the title as the best in the series, IMO. MGS4 just felt like a step backwards on so many levels. It just didn't blow me away like I thought it would.

/rant
You know you can skip cutscenes... right?

MGS has always been an interactive story anyway. If you complain about that, complain about the amount of shooting in an FPS.

@ CrushDance

I'll elaborate on my points when I've finished the game.

I openly admit that I'm in a minority when I state my overall disappointment.

I get the impression that some people think that because I'm not a huge fan of the franchise, I'm not capable of forming an unbiased and informed opinion. They could not be more wrong.

Opus Angelorum said:
@ CrushDance

I'll elaborate on my points when I've finished the game.

I openly admit that I'm in a minority when I state my overall disappointment.

I get the impression that some people think that because I'm not a huge fan of the franchise, I'm not capable of forming an unbiased and informed opinion. They could not be more wrong.
If your opinion doesn't change by Act 3 then yeah your not capable of forming an unbiased opinion :p

I've never been a big MGS fan, didn't even play 3, I wouldn't buy the game if it wasn't for the awesome MGO, wasn't that impressed after finishing Act 1 either, but I was speechless by the end of Act 3... Gaming Nirvana!!

decon

Just finished the game and wanted to know where the best place for secret stuff is? Gamefaqs or is there a better place?

Awesome game by the way, I really need to play it again, so much stuff that I want to try but couldn't in the first run. Only real complain that I have, is that you can't cover, then bind shoot :( Didn't miss it all that much though. Story, gameplay anything is just awesome.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Baryn said:
You know you can skip cutscenes... right?

MGS has always been an interactive story anyway. If you complain about that, complain about the amount of shooting in an FPS.
I quite like that aspect of the series, but even as a fan, I do feel that MGS4 had a mixed up cutscene to gameplay ratio. I think MGS3 remains the best example of how to balance cutscenes and gameplay to create something special.

kamorra said:
That's for the
mask
camouflage
Wait, so the
rotting corpse camo
that I've seen is for continuing over 40 times, but the super hard one is actually
Big Boss' face
?

hirokazu

Ephemeris said:
They're two different things? o_O Pics of the
camo
please
Corpse camo is a camo pattern for the OctoCamo. The
Big Boss
FaceCamo is like every other FaceCamo that you get, but it
complements the corpse OctoCamo well.
;)

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Opus Angelorum said:
At the moment, disappointment at the core game-play compared to the story that encompasses it.

I'm disappointed in your face (but impressed by your e-courage).

Ephemeris

hirokazu said:
Corpse camo is a camo pattern for the OctoCamo. The
Big Boss
FaceCamo is like every other FaceCamo that you get, but it
complements the corpse OctoCamo well.
;)

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

Steroyd

1stStrike said:
Sleeping gas mines are your friend.

No kidding, I spammed those till I ran out, I don't think I need them further on in the game from this point on.

Laughing Octopus wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, just got to stop kamikazeeing myself with the rocket launcher. :/

Oni Jazar

blindrocket said:
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet or not, but we were talking at work about Drebin and how that is the name of the Leslie Neilsen's character from the Naked Gun films. Drebin strips the ID from guns thus making them a "naked gun."

That. Is. Awesome.

FirewalkR

Metalmurphy said:
by the end of Act 3... Gaming Nirvana!!

I was impressed earlier than you were then, and at the end of Act 3, I shared your opinion. :D

blindrocket said:
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet or not, but we were talking at work about Drebin and how that is the name of the Leslie Neilsen's character from the Naked Gun films. Drebin strips the ID from guns thus making them a "naked gun."

Oh my god. :O
Deserves another quote. :D

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
hirokazu said:
I got almost 500 kills in my first play because I killed pretty much everyone that was in my way, wth the exception of rebels/militia :lol

Doing no kill/no alert really changes the way you have to think and play if you went running and gunning the first time, it's so much fun.

How do you do sections like the FoxHound escape sequence without killing? Just take cover until the AI takes care of it for you? :/

hirokazu

McBradders said:
How do you do sections like the FoxHound escape sequence without killing? Just take cover until the AI takes care of it for you? :/
Simple, just use non-lethal weapons. I think it may be possible to let the AI take care of it for you in the easier difficulties, but it'd probably take ages because they might not "see" some of the enemies.

hirokazu said:
Simple, just use non-lethal weapons. I think it may be possible to let the AI take care of it for you in the easier difficulties, but it'd probably take ages because they might not "see" some of the enemies.

Hide.. then..

Metal Gear Mk II

!

Owensboro

So, question for you people that have completed The Boss runs, which is the best weapon to use on the
beast versions of the BB fights?
I've been messing around, and can't decided which ones are best. The 50-cal is nice and fast, but it seems to me that a rockect launcher *should* be faster.

Madsucktion said:
So, question for you people that have completed The Boss runs, which is the best weapon to use on the
beast versions of the BB fights?
I've been messing around, and can't decided which ones are best. The 50-cal is nice and fast, but it seems to me that a rockect launcher *should* be faster.
Charged rail gun, I would have thought.

Danielsan

The start of act 3 is really the only gameplay part of the game that I really dislike. I which it was shorter or maybe it would be nice if the game allowed me mulitple options.

I just finished listening to GFW's Metal Gear talk and I already regret it. I can definitely see some of the flaws that they talk about but for instance hearing Shawn Elliot talk about how he wanted to skip the
Liquid fight
because he died 5 times just make me sad. To me that was one of the most brilliant scenes in the game.

hirokazu

dabookerman said:
Hide.. then..

Metal Gear Mk II

!
I'm pretty sure there were plenty of instances where you could not get to where they were, and hence the Mk.II couldn't either, but yeah, you could do that for the ones you could reach.

Darkpen

Banned
decon said:
Just finished the game and wanted to know where the best place for secret stuff is? Gamefaqs or is there a better place?

Awesome game by the way, I really need to play it again, so much stuff that I want to try but couldn't in the first run. Only real complain that I have, is that you can't cover, then bind shoot :( Didn't miss it all that much though. Story, gameplay anything is just awesome.
the official strat guide.

Solo

hirokazu said:
Yeah, it was really cheesy, but I thought it was funny as hell. I actually laughed out loud at that.

But come to think of it, I don't think I've ever heard one positive comment from you about this game, like ever.

Then you've done selective reading! I love the gameplay, graphics, sound design, music, and the overall polish of the production values, and most of the cutscene direction. Its just the retarded/retconned/fanfic-ish story that I hate. Once again, MGS4 in a nutshell for me: best MGS title for gameplay, worst MGS title for story. Overall for me its 1 > 2 > 4 > 3.

hirokazu

Danielsan said:
The start of act 3 is really the only gameplay part of the game that I really dislike. I which it was shorter or maybe it would be nice if the game allowed me mulitple options.

I just finished listening to GFW's Metal Gear talk and I already regret it. I can definitely see some of the flaws that they talk about but for instance hearing Shawn Elliot talk about how he wanted to skip the
Liquid fight
because he died 5 times just make me sad. To me that was one of the most brilliant scenes in the game.
The only problem I had during that was the
MGS3
bit, the rest is pretty easy. That is, until I realised you could just
button mash R1 for that bit, and you'd do better than actually trying to play it properly.

Solo said:
Then you've done selective reading! I love the gameplay, graphics, sound design, music, and the overall polish of the production values, and most of the cutscene direction. Its just the retarded/retconned/fanfic-ish story that I hate.
Maybe, when I'm reading the backlog of posts from overnight, I usually skim through the bits where people are bitching about the game and others are trying to defend it. :p

Darkpen

Banned
Bang!

I really need to work on getting the Altair outfit and the corpse suit. I assume I'll be able to get the Corpse camo when I do my chicken run, though

Solo

hirokazu said:
Maybe, when I'm reading the backlog of posts from overnight, I usually skim through the bits where people are bitching about the game and others are trying to defend it. :p

Yeah, its the most amusing part :lol

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Kagari said:
Where can I has more of this art:

1214346830855.jpg
Wow, that looks brilliant.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Act 3 ending question.
If EVA knew that Big Boss' corpse was actually solidus' corpse, then why did she jump into the fire to rescue it?

AndresON777

shooting blanks
h3ro said:
You know what the best part about beating MGS4 is?

hi-lighting spoilers with reckless abandon
:D

Word. I came in here yesterday for the first time without concern, also the photo thread is awesome now too.

Also, I restarted the game on BBH,
so you can only carry 5 rations now? is it less on big boss extreme?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom