• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

glaurung

patsu said:
He installed EyeToy on a military satellite. :p

Either that, or he
controlled the nanomachines with his right arm, which was artificial and the targeting system could have been integrated into it.

This stuff is probably explained in the strategy guide or the database or MGS Saga videos.

SRG01

glaurung said:
Either that, or he
controlled the nanomachines with his right arm, which was artificial and the targeting system could have been integrated into it.

This stuff is probably explained in the strategy guide or the database or MGS Saga videos.

Clearly the spoiler]Eyetoy[/spoiler] is the better answer. :D :lol

hirokazu

psycho_snake said:
Act 3 ending question.
If EVA knew that Big Boss' corpse was actually solidus' corpse, then why did she jump into the fire to rescue it?
Well when I first saw that, I was thinking
"WTF, she just jumped in the fire and got all burnt up, but she didn't even TRY to get the corpse out of the fire?" By the time she's dead, the corpse was still burning away and she didn't look like she cared about it any more. Looked like a deliberate suicide to me. :p

DunpealD

hirokazu said:
Well when I first saw that, I was thinking
"WTF, she just jumped in the fire and got all burnt up, but she didn't even TRY to get the corpse out of the fire?" By the time she's dead, the corpse was still burning away and she didn't look like she cared about it any more. Looked like a deliberate suicide to me. :p

Btw. the scene where she jumped into the fire is the exact time where you can see the FoxDie kicking in and looking at it at that angle EVA was able to withstand the virus quite long before dying.

Danielsan said:
The start of act 3 is really the only gameplay part of the game that I really dislike. I which it was shorter or maybe it would be nice if the game allowed me mulitple options.

I just finished listening to GFW's Metal Gear talk and I already regret it. I can definitely see some of the flaws that they talk about but for instance hearing Shawn Elliot talk about how he wanted to skip the
Liquid fight
because he died 5 times just make me sad. To me that was one of the most brilliant scenes in the game.

Yeah I was actually quite happy Shawn talked about that it made me realize he is not and never would be the
target audience for this game. He just doesn't get it. When I found out he was playing the game by his blog I
knew whatever coming would be negative. MGS is revered and Shawn loves talking shit about anything
people revere unless its a flight simulator.

h3ro said:
You know what the best part about beating MGS4 is?

hi-lighting spoilers with reckless abandon
:D

Oh man I know so great.

Az

Last night I finished the game (yea I took my time, played only bout 2 hours per session)
and I looooved it. My wife asked me what I was going to play next after this and I didn't know what to tell her. After being so disappointed with GTAIV and RSV2, I enjoyed this game from start to finish.

I have no complaints about the cutscenes since it made me feel like I was a part of a great movie.

Orlics

dark10x said:
I quite like that aspect of the series, but even as a fan, I do feel that MGS4 had a mixed up cutscene to gameplay ratio. I think MGS3 remains the best example of how to balance cutscenes and gameplay to create something special.

I agree with you, but I also didn't like MGS3's story (felt more like a Bond movie than a Metal Gear Solid game). The winning formula would probably be a game with a story as good as MGS2's with the storytelling of MGS3.

Dez

Orlics said:
I agree with you, but I also didn't like MGS3's story (felt more like a Bond movie than a Metal Gear Solid game). The winning formula would probably be a game with a story as good as MGS2's with the storytelling of MGS3.

The reason MGS3's storytelling was good was because the story itself wasn't a complete mess like MGS2 and 4. It was an amazing standalone story with one of the most memorable characters ever seen in a game -- the Boss.

Dez said:
The reason MGS3's storytelling was good was because the story itself wasn't a complete mess like MGS2 and 4. It was an amazing standalone story with one of the most memorable characters ever seen in a game -- the Boss.

The way the game ends
With Big Boss at her grave and saluting one last time
was the absolute best way to end the game.

Steroyd

Do claymores work on Laughing Octopus? :(

I can bring her health down to the last little bar easily... but that
rolling attack
is a damn insta kill and i'm always stuck in a corner when she comes out of it. >_<

MGS3 is still my favorite in the series. Just the right amount of game, the right amount of story, perfect pacing, a wonderful setting, memorable story and characters... just magic. The Bondian influence was a masterstroke. That's what Kojima does best, blends genres and styles and makes something totally unique.

Darkpen

Banned
Dez said:
the real reason why people love MGS3's story so damn much was because it was as complicated as cutting melting butter with a string.

Steroyd said:
Do claymores work on Laughing Octopus? :(

I can bring her health down to the last little bar easily... but that
rolling attack
is a damn insta kill and i'm always stuck in a corner when she comes out of it. >_<
there are several places where you can leap over, or stand on top of when she starts to do that. Its the reason why you generally either stay inside, or near a door if you decide to go into the outer hallways.

revolverjgw said:
MGS3 is still my favorite in the series. Just the right amount of game, the right amount of story, perfect pacing, a wonderful setting, memorable story and characters... just magic. The Bondian influence was a masterstroke. That's what Kojima does best, blends genres and styles and makes something totally unique.
I'm surprised myself, but I actually know people who hate MGS3 with a passion, over MGS2 and 1. I'm telling you this just so you know.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
AzRim904 said:
My wife asked me what I was going to play next after this and I didn't know what to tell her.
I feel exactly the same. I'll just play MGS4 one more time of course, to see things I didn't see first time around and go through levels in some different ways. But after that, I have no idea. I just don't feel like finishing GTA4 or Lego Indy now (both of which I stopped playing when I got MGS4). In fact, I'll probably just play MGS3 again afterwards. It's been enough time since I played it so I've forgot lots of things that happen.

longdi

Banned
Orlics said:

how can it be possible, mgs2 story had the most boring and melodramatic characters.

I'm playing Extreme. I'm at the FROG fight in Act 1.

How the fuck has anyone beaten this? This shit is IMPOSSIBLE.

DunpealD said:
Btw. the scene where she jumped into the fire is the exact time where you can see the FoxDie kicking in and looking at it at that angle EVA was able to withstand the virus quite long before dying.
No it isn't. What the Hell are you talking about? No one can ever SEE when FOXDIE is working.

You see it working when
she actually dies.

Darkpen

Banned
AzRim904 said:
Last night I finished the game (yea I took my time, played only bout 2 hours per session)
and I looooved it. My wife asked me what I was going to play next after this and I didn't know what to tell her. After being so disappointed with GTAIV and RSV2, I enjoyed this game from start to finish.

I have no complaints about the cutscenes since it made me feel like I was a part of a great movie.

Marconelly said:
I feel exactly the same. I'll just play MGS4 one more time of course, to see things I didn't see first time around and go through levels in some different ways. But after that, I have no idea. I just don't feel like finishing GTA4 or Lego Indy now (both of which I stopped playing when I got MGS4).
I felt the same after beating MGS4. In fact, I felt like I was done with gaming, period. But here I am, having just finished my Big Boss run, and now I want to get the Altair outfit, and then the chicken emblem w/ the corpse camo.

D:

But yeah, I totally agree. Its like... "what's next? I can't think of what's next."

Then I looked in my recent issue of game informer, and saw that the FF4 DS remake is coming out next month near the end of July, so hurrah :p

U K Narayan said:

Hide under a table or the bed that you start in, and just shoot them with tranqs as they come. For some reason, their bodies disappear entirely, as opposed to just being around like they usually do.

If they don't come into view for some reason, or won't stay still, throw an empty magazine near yourself. Remember, keep that face camo on.

Battle tips:
Use the rail gun charged at max, pointing at the head, for when she's in beast form. When she comes out, two shots to the chest from the Solar gun knocks her out

Dez

Darkpen said:
the real reason why people love MGS3's story so damn much was because it was as complicated as cutting melting butter with a string.

What's wrong with having a more straightforward story, one that doesn't collapse under its own weight?

Solo said:
Once again, MGS4 in a nutshell for me: best MGS title for gameplay, worst MGS title for story.

Do not comprehend. Sure, there are problems with the plot, no doubt about it. But calling this the worst story wise...that goes way too far. You guys glorify the older titles too much. They had similiar problems and faults. The proplem with MGS4 is, that Kojima was forced to tell a story that was never meant to be told, that he needed to wrap up loose threads that were never meant to be explained. At the end stands a plot that has his problems, but is also very satisfiying. Especially because of the characters, they were awesome in this one. I think Old Snake is the best protagonist the series has seen. Only the MGS2 Snake holds a candle.

Darkpen said:
Hide under a table or the bed that you start in, and just shoot them with tranqs as they come. For some reason, their bodies disappear entirely, as opposed to just being around like they usually do.

If they don't come into view for some reason, or won't stay still, throw an empty magazine near yourself. Remember, keep that face camo on.

Battle tips:
Use the rail gun charged at max, pointing at the head, for when she's in beast form. When she comes out, two shots to the chest from the Solar gun knocks her out
I'm in ACT 1, not ACT 2. I'll definitely keep your advice in mind - though. :)

Darkpen

Banned
dabookerman said:
Where is the Zero Punc review D:

I want to complain about his review, and cannot wait any longer!!
lol, I can't wait for it, mostly because I want to know what he has to say outside of whateveryone other reviewer has already said (cutscene/gameplay ratio, outstanding production values, lack of story comprehension from not playing the previous entries, etc).

Dez said:
What's wrong with having a more straightforward story, one that doesn't collapse under its own weight?
There's nothing wrong with it, I'm just saying that I liked MGS2 for being different, just like how people like ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, and Killer 7 for being unique.

MGS3 is great and all, but it feels like its a fanciful look back at the roots of the series, as opposed to a realistic one, and therefore only jives as an optional backstory sort of deal.

Darkpen said:
But yeah, I totally agree. Its like... "what's next? I can't think of what's next."

Then I looked in my recent issue of game informer, and saw that the FF4 DS remake is coming out next month near the end of July, so hurrah :p

I feel the same way.
I was looking forward to so many games and I honestly couldn't be less interested in all of them.
I figure Ill play through it about 3 times and then just take a big break from games.

Darkpen

Banned
U K Narayan said:
ohhh, act 1's mansion.

Okay, so basically, heavy use of
the solar gun, and just keep moving with the team. You don't always have to stick with them, but there are points where you need to progress ahead of them to get the jump on your enemies. The mansion takes several tries, but whatever you do, do not and I repeat do NOT knock out any of the members of Rat Patrol on accident. If you do, wake them up immediately. It seems that if someone's knocked unconscious, and if an NPC shoots them, they die instantly. Its the reason why a soldier might die even though all you did was tranq them or shoot them w/ the Solar gun.

Also, if you have health problems, equip the Ipod and set it to repeat, playing either "Sailor" or "Rock me baby." Crouch somewhere, and your health recovers faster than if you didn't listen to either song.

jenov4

Beat the game a few days ago. What an amazing experience. The only regret is the fact that I watched all of the trailers (the big ones from TGS, E3, Leipzig) so there weren't too many surprises for me. Now I gotta go through this entire thread. :lol

Favourite moments:

- Snake going through the microwave. Button mashing at it's most epic. Absolutely heart wrenching.
- All of those chase scenes, the ones where you control the gun. ie. Drebin and Eva's.
- Boss fight with Screaming Mantis. What a throw back to the MGS1 days. I loved it.
- Final battle with Liquid on top of Outer Haven. Oh man, so epic! The graphics were stunning here. Looked almost CG. Especially whenever the camera changed.

The only thing I didn't care for was the
sneaking mission in Europe, where you have to tail that resistance guy to find EVA. I just found that real annoying.

A++++, 11/10, 6 out of 5 stars. What a swan song.

Cronen said:
Unlimited Tranq Gun?

I'm guessing that was an added feature in the easiest difficulty?

Clearly played it on Liquid Easy because the AI is not dumb as shit :lol
Where can I comment on his video now on the site? Or do I directly email him.

Darkpen

Banned
Kagari said:

I was expecting so much more, yet I received so little.

All I took away from it was that he didn't understand the controls, and... that's pretty much it.

I was surprised by the lack of mentioning the cutscene to gameplay ratio being screwed up near the half-way point, but I suppose that didn't matter considering how long the initial cutscenes are.

dabookerman said:
Clearly played it on Liquid Easy because the AI is not dumb as shit :lol
Where can I comment on his video now on the site? Or do I directly email him.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.62443

Steroyd

Nevermind, I pasted her in seconds using the rail gun! O_O

U K Narayan said:

Let me guess the Kitchen part?

Right after you help Meryll in the Kitchen place some several SG mines near the doors (or claymores if you're not bothering with the Big boss Emblem/Medal, and inside the little room at the top left, that way you'll knock some out before you reach the next set piece.

You really have to understand where the enemies are going to pop up and anticipate their movements, there's ways to sneak behind them, but the Rat Patrol die so SO much more easier in Extreme it's not even funny, i'm trying the no kill no run no recovery items run and you need a LOT of fucking pre-planning for that bit.

eso76

Darkpen said:
the real reason why people love MGS3's story so damn much was because it was as complicated as cutting melting butter with a string

actually it wasn't this straightfoward, it just wasn't needlessly overcomplicated,believable and with a number of plot twists HIDEO could actually handle and keep track of.

Darkpen said:

I was expecting so much more, yet I received so little.

All I took away from it was that he didn't understand the controls, and... that's pretty much it.

I was surprised by the lack of mentioning the cutscene to gameplay ratio being screwed up near the half-way point, but I suppose that didn't matter considering how long the initial cutscenes are.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.62443

Ah.. Can't be assed to sign up lol.

dalyr95

What I miss is what MGS1 had fully fleshed out villians, their motivation and history somewhat intertwined into Snake's. Vulcan, Ocelot, Mantis, Sniper Wolf, Liquid, Octacon apart from the Boss, Eva, Vamp who else had made an lasting impression?? Even Solidus was quite generic, spending too much time talking about double crosses, s3's and what not.

But MGS4 one of the best games ever: MGS > MGS4 > 3 > 2

Darkpen

Banned
Kagari said:
lol... he said the writing was bad? Wha...
Its not the first time I've heard that complaint. There is a minority of people, who we shall dub "english majors," that find the story laughable at best. Personally, I don't really care for their opinion.

eso76 said:
actually it wasn't this straightfoward, it just wasn't needlessly overcomplicated,believable and with a number of plot twists HIDEO could actually handle and keep track of.
What is it with you people as calling MGS3 "believable"?

dalyr95 said:
What I miss is what MGS1 had fully fleshed out villians, their motivation and history somewhat intertwined into Snake's. Vulcan, Ocelot, Mantis, Sniper Wolf, Liquid, Octacon apart from the Boss, Eva, Vamp who else had made an lasting impression?? Even Solidus was quite generic, spending too much time talking about double crosses, s3's and what not.

But MGS4 one of the best games ever: MGS > MGS4 > 3 > 2
I don't agree. MGS1 certainly had the best fleshed out characters, but I wouldn't call out Solidus. His relationship with Raiden was interesting, and the introduction of the Patriots gave new weight to the ominous world of MGS1's ending phone call.

By disregarding Solidus's importance, as well as the S3 plan, you're completely ignoring the entire point of both MGS3 and 4.

[HP]

Either I'm a really hardcore fucking MGS fan that I'm so blind I can't see anyone talking bad things about my game, or... Yahtzee Croshaw was really BAD on this review!

Started my second play-through last night - working on trying to get the assassin emblem, as well as other things. I told myself that I'd take a brief hiatus from the game after completing it the first time (I wanted like at least a week's break) but after deciding to complete the database instead of patching GTA4 (like I had originally planned), I went right back to playing MGS4 again. God I love this game. :D

Probably my favorite touch in the game is the fact that Sunny's songs are all sung to the MGS main theme. Now I won't be able to stare at the periodic table without humming the main theme :lol.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
dermannmitdemcolt said:
Well, the writing is not really oscar worthy, but it has its high points and gets the job done. Like in every MGS. It's good enough for this medium.

Well, that's how I feel too, but it wasn't poor by any means.

Darkpen

Banned
Auron_Kale said:
Started my second play-through last night - working on trying to get the assassin emblem, as well as other things. I told myself that I'd take a brief hiatus from the game after completing it the first time (I wanted like at least a week's break) but after deciding to complete the database instead of patching GTA4 (like I had originally planned), I went right back to playing MGS4 again. God I love this game. :D

Probably my favorite touch in the game is the fact that Sunny's songs are all sung to the MGS main theme. Now I won't be able to stare at the periodic table without humming the main theme :lol.
I do not recognize the song she is humming being from the original MGS melody, which was, in turn, sampled from that russian song. If anything, I recognize it being the same song that played during the end of the MGO trailer, where the dude is on a man cannon, and people are saluting him. It also plays when you acquire the Big Boss emblem.

soldat7

Just beat the game last night. Loved it. Some very random thoughts:
- I was a bit soured on the ending, not enough Snake and too much Big Boss drama. I wanted to see Snake retiring again to Alaska or something.

- Raiden has become one of the coolest characters EVER. Sword in teeth and no arms. Epic. (although it was awkward bringing him back after his apparent death, I didn't think that was done very well (a brief comment from Otacon = lame)).

- Act 4 is one of the best levels that I've ever played from any game. Gazing out at the base on Shadow Moses to "The Best is Yet to Come" is one of the finest moments I've had in gaming.

- Act 5 was too brief and the endlessly spawning enemies extremely lame. MGS4 begins to show it's gameplay weaknesses when you're forced to fight waves of enemies like that.

- The Geckos were amazing. They remained awesome til the end.

- The graphics were stunning (some of the best I've seen), the music was stunning (big improvement over MGS2 and 3), the story was fantastic (time to read the Database to see what I missed).

- The best cutscenes I've seen in any game, with the exception of some of the Otacon sequences (cheese) and the other melodramatic sequences (Meryl and Johnny, etc).

- Very touching story behind Raiden and his family. Now let's see a God of War-esque game where his family is killed and he seeks revenge (I'm kidding...or am I?).

MGS4 highlights the biggest weakness of the PS3 for me: Lack of achievements. This game seems tailor-made for them.

And why can't I level-select? Lame.

Steroyd

h3ro said:
I want to do an Extreme run for the Big Boss emblem. What exactly counts as a kill?

Can I kill the Frogs or Gekko?

Frogs no Gekko yes.

As long as a message pops up that you killed an unmaned machine, and get drebin points for it, then you'll be okay.

You can also "scan" your game stats with mission briefings (multiple saves is a MUST) if you got a mysterious kill so you can see exactly where you went wrong if you got a WTF kill at the end of an act.

DunpealD

U K Narayan said:
No it isn't. What the Hell are you talking about? No one can ever SEE when FOXDIE is working.

You see it working when
she actually dies.

You can see as you could have seen in MGS 1 you may have not noticed this, but MGS4 also puts more emphasis on the action of the characters than the previous games.

Darkpen

Banned
h3ro said:
I want to do an Extreme run for the Big Boss emblem. What exactly counts as a kill?

Can I kill the Frogs or Gekko?
No :mad:

Frogs are people D:< what's wrong with you

But you can kill Gekko and Dwarf Gekko

soldat7 said:
Just beat the game last night. Loved it. Some very random thoughts:
- Act 5 was too brief and the endlessly spawning enemies extremely lame. MGS4 begins to show it's gameplay weaknesses when you're forced to fight waves of enemies like that.

MGS4 highlights the biggest weakness of the PS3 for me: Lack of achievements. This game seems tailor-made for them.
I'm sure those emblems will have something to do with when Home comes out.

Also, what part of
Act 5 are you talking about? The long hallway that you have to go through, or the fight right before Screaming Mantis? I just beat the game w/ the Big Boss emblem, and honestly, it initial wave of haven troopers aren't that bad, and the long hallway with the dwarf gekko can be completely ignored by using the drum can to roll them over.

1stStrike

Banned
U K Narayan said:

For the frogs in act 1, simply spam stun grenades while staying prone/crouching in the corner.
Johnny will supply you with stun grenades if you stand next to him after you run out and the team can take a massive beating so you don't have to. Just lay low and support them as necessary.

Just get off the odd tranq shot whenever you get a chance, but don't try to put yourself on the front lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom