• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torquill

Anyone else figure out the bit in the Liquid fight where you can start smashing his head against the metal poles? Fun times.

dalyr95

Darkpen said:
I don't agree. MGS1 certainly had the best fleshed out characters, but I wouldn't call out Solidus. His relationship with Raiden was interesting, and the introduction of the Patriots gave new weight to the ominous world of MGS1's ending phone call.

By disregarding Solidus's importance, as well as the S3 plan, you're completely ignoring the entire point of both MGS3 and 4.

I was just using Solidus as an example as he was the main villain of MGS2, yet I felt very little for him as opposed to Boss, Liquid, Ocelot
(to be honest, the way he was treated in 4, provoked the strongest feeling from me.)
Fatman would of been a better example. I understand Solidus's importance and what the Patriots were hoping to achieve, but the goals have always been obscure and the lack of a readily identifiable avatar for the Patriots I felt that aspect of the storyline has been one of the weaker points of >MGS2

Chairhome

I love this game.

I beat it in 17 hours with Eagle as my top rank. Going to do another playthrough soon...

Does anyone know where I can get the emblem backgrounds as wallpapers? I like their design.

Can someone give me a rough estimate of how long each Act takes (including the cutscenes)? It's probably been asked but I don't want to wade through the thread in fear of spoilers. I beat Act 1 in 2.5 hours, and I'm trying to plan the rest of this week to finish it. Thanks.

Darkpen

Banned
dalyr95 said:
I was just using Solidus as an example as he was the main villain of MGS2, yet I felt very little for him as opposed to Boss, Liquid, Ocelot
(to be honest, the way he was treated in 4, provoked the strongest feeling from me.)
Fatman would of been a better example. I understand Solidus's importance and what the Patriots were hoping to achieve, but the goals have always been obscure and the lack of a readily identifiable avatar for the Patriots I felt that aspect of the storyline has been one of the weaker points of >MGS2
Isn't that ironic?

The thing with Solidus is that you have to replace the "Solid Snake" that's mentioned before the Harrier fight, with "Solidus Snake," in your head. Then bam, he's giving more ground.

But you're right. You can't appreciate who Solidus was, and what he was trying to achieve, because not only is everything explained right at the end, and in the most horribly written fashion ever, but the guy's just trying to kill you. What's confusing is wrapping your head around the fact that he was a good guy (in a way).

Solo

Torquill said:
Anyone else figure out the bit in the Liquid fight where you can start smashing his head against the metal poles? Fun times.

Yes. You can also bust his forehead open such that he bleeds.

Darkpen

Banned
njp142 said:
Can someone give me a rough estimate of how long each Act takes (including the cutscenes)? It's probably been asked but I don't want to wade through the thread in fear of spoilers. I beat Act 1 in 2.5 hours, and I'm trying to plan the rest of this week to finish it. Thanks.
personally, I feel like I rushed through the game on my first playthrough, and ended up clocking in at 17 hours. About 8 of those hours were probably cutscenes.

Auron_Kale said:
Started my second play-through last night - working on trying to get the assassin emblem, as well as other things. I told myself that I'd take a brief hiatus from the game after completing it the first time (I wanted like at least a week's break) but after deciding to complete the database instead of patching GTA4 (like I had originally planned), I went right back to playing MGS4 again. God I love this game. :D

Probably my favorite touch in the game is the fact that Sunny's songs are all sung to the MGS main theme. Now I won't be able to stare at the periodic table without humming the main theme :lol.

:lol :lol Thats great.

Darkpen

Banned
Torquill said:
that's context sensitive. If you're near him, and you do CQC, it happens, I guess.

in the MGS3 phase, if you press triangle right after the first two punches, you'll do a headbutt. I don't think it does a terribly great amount of damage, but its interesting.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Darkpen said:
Its not the first time I've heard that complaint. There is a minority of people, who we shall dub "english majors," that find the story laughable at best. Personally, I don't really care for their opinion.

Dude, I'm an English BA, and loved the script. Don't label all the haters that way. We may all WRITE pretentiously, but we don't all think everything has to BE pretentious.

Brad

i think there might be something wrong with my game..

i'm on act 3 and I can't find the resistance member. The first time I tried the act I found him right away, however after failing the mission and restarting I am unable to find him at all. I can constantly hear him whistling but I don't see him anywhere. After searching for 10 minutes Otacon tells me I need to find another member. -_-

dalyr95

Darkpen said:
But you're right. You can't appreciate who Solidus was, and what he was trying to achieve, because not only is everything explained right at the end, and in the most horribly written fashion ever, but the guy's just trying to kill you. What's confusing is wrapping your head around the fact that he was a good guy (in a way).

Agreed, I think MGS2 doesn't quite explain how bad the consequences of S3 will be and the Patriots global reach. If 2 had hinted towards the war economy and how twisted the world will become then the viewer would appreciate more the threat of the Patriots

soldat7

Darkpen said:
No :mad:

I'm sure those emblems will have something to do with when Home comes out.

Also, what part of
Act 5 are you talking about? The long hallway that you have to go through, or the fight right before Screaming Mantis? I just beat the game w/ the Big Boss emblem, and honestly, it initial wave of haven troopers aren't that bad, and the long hallway with the dwarf gekko can be completely ignored by using the drum can to roll them over.

Hopefully. I find little motivation to earn emblems, camos, etc. in the absence of Achievements.

With regards to Act 5
(I'm talking about the very beginning of the level primarily). The haven troopers just keep coming endlessly, there's very little stealth, and just as I get my rail gun powers up to take out a Gecko I get attacked from behind...lame. MGS4 is not at it's best during these moments.

Perhaps my biggest complaint about the game is the omnipresent Drebin store. This almost completely eliminated any challenge that the bosses posed (and it would have been more interesting to know about their back-stories BEFORE the fights...)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
soldat7 said:
Hopefully. I find little motivation to earn emblems, camos, etc. in the absence of Achievements.

With regards to Act 5
(I'm talking about the very beginning of the level primarily). The haven troopers just keep coming endlessly, there's very little stealth, and just as I get my rail gun powers up to take out a Gecko I get attacked from behind...lame. MGS4 is not at it's best during these moments.

Perhaps my biggest complaint about the game is the omnipresent Drebin store. This almost completely eliminated any challenge that the bosses posed (and it would have been more interesting to know about their back-stories BEFORE the fights...)

Uuuuuh....you're supposed to sneak past those frogs, or kill them with suppressors armed.

DunpealD said:
You can see as you could have seen in MGS 1 you may have not noticed this, but MGS4 also puts more emphasis on the action of the characters than the previous games.
Regardless, FOXDIE working on
EVA
is the same as it working on
Big Boss
. There is no obvious visual cue. The virus did its thing IMMEDIATELY when
EVA made contact with Snake.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Brad said:
i think there might be something wrong with my game..

i'm on act 3 and I can't find the resistance member. The first time I tried the act I found him right away, however after failing the mission and restarting I am unable to find him at all. I can constantly hear him whistling but I don't see him anywhere. After searching for 10 minutes Otacon tells me I need to find another member. -_-

Sometimes he gets lost if you dont keep up, just use that scanner thing that otacon gives you...and listen to the police talk, then the area of you map where he is at will light up, other than that idk dude....maybe you wandered too far away from where the level starts

Darkpen

Banned
Edit: these are tips for people who are either frustrated with the end fights, or want to know what I've personally learned.

So guys, I know that some of you have some trouble with fighting
Liquid Ocelot at the end. As someone who beat him on Extreme, let me give you some tips:

On phase 1, know that kicking him in the face knocks him back. What you want to do is basically get him to a corner, or just to the invisible wall, and when he gets back up, just do the straight up 1-2 punches that you can do from keeping your guards up, which will break his guard, and then the second hit sends him flying. Just keep doing the guard-punches over and over.

On phase 2, while you do want to stay away and dodge his strong punch that he does every now and then, something you can do is just circle him when he does that, then do a standard ppkk combo, which will normally send him flying. The kick normally lands, though sometimes he'll block that too. When he's knocked down, get close to him, and go to his side. As he's getting up, start the ppkk combo, and the kick should knock him back. Just repeat, and you should be fine.

On phase 3, its slightly more complicated. You don't need to dodge anymore, so take your thumb off of the X button, and instead keep it on Triangle. You're gonna want it there for both countering, avoiding attacks, and doing headbutts. Basically, use both ppkk, pp+triangle, and guard+p, in a mixed variety. When he change stances with one arm up and one arm down, he's getting ready to do CQC on your ass. This is an opportune moment to try and land a guard punch on him, to really knock him out.

And finally, if you run low on health at any time, you can always press and hold Triangle when Ocelot does his taunt for any of his phases. You can also trigger it by backing away for an extended period of time, avoiding him. When he does it after he's knocked you do, try to get a small bit of health recovered by holding triangle. Its not much, but every bit helps.

Now, I'd like to talk about the
Rex vs Ray
fight:

So initially, he'll probably pound your ass into submission several times, until you get lucky and somehow win. Here's what you do to get a guaranteed win:

When you initially start out, take a few steps forward (like 2), and then dash, crashing into Ray. When you do this, start mashing triangle, to initiate the automatic combo animation. Sometimes, when you and Ray are close, or if Ray is about to attack you, you have a small window of a counter. With this in mind, anytime you're close, you want to be mashing triangle for that opportunity. Otherwise, dash at him to knock him down, or start kicking with R1.

What you also need to know is how to use each weapon:

The gattling gun is the easiest to use, but the most it'll do is paralyze Ray for a brief period of time. Its best to use it when Ray throws a bunch of missiles at you, as you'll want to shoot those missiles down.

The missiles you fire lock on when you see a red cross on Ray's body. This is more or less a guaranteed hit, and you always want to fire it when you think you have a clear shot. When he into far-mid range, or if he's circling you and appears into the open, you can also try to predict where he's gonna move, and shoot your wave of missiles in that direction as well.

The best weapon, however, is the Laser. Its the best weapon for having a preemptive strike on Ray, especially when Ray's health is down 50%. Keep that thing charged for when you want to use it, and the best part about it is the range and damage. There's a recharge time for when the laser needs power again, so mix it up with the missiles, but for a sure win, keep the laser at the ready for when Ray's health is 1/6.

All of these weapons, however, are great to use when Ray's in mid-range (especially the rockets and the laser). Because what you want to do (especially when Ray starts to block when you rush at it), is use a weapon to paralyze it, and immediately rush with forward+X, and start mashing triangle.

I can't emphasize enough just how important it is to keep your finger on triangle when ray's close, though. It helps a lot. Same applies to the final fight with Ocelot.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't get complaints about Act 5 beginning. I was playing the game on hard and was able to sneak through just fine. I tried going into fight first time, died, then realized I could pretty easily sneak there.

What I did is I just crawled towards the left side (where you start) and used tranq gun to put to sleep everyone who was close. It was pretty easy, and the only time I was spotted was one of the moments where the enemy was unsure about it, so I was able to put them to sleep before they got closer. Sneaking past Gekkos there was even easier.

Darkpen

Banned
soldat7 said:

With regards to Act 5

you fool.

You can stealth through that. How do you think we're getting our Big Boss emblem?

Marconelly said:
I don't get complaints about Act 5 beginning. I was playing the game on hard and was able to sneak through just fine. I tried going into fight first time, died, then realized I could pretty easily sneak there.

What I did is I just crawled towards the left side (where you start) and used tranq gun to put to sleep everyone who was close. It was pretty easy, and the only time I was spotted was one of the moments where the enemy was unsure about it, so I was able to put them to sleep before they got closer. Sneaking past Gekkos there was even easier.
personally, I messed up half-way to the door on my first playthrough, but I certainly wasn't as crappy as to complain about an "unending wave of frogs and gekko"

soldat7

Darkpen said:
you fool.

You can stealth through that. How do you think we're getting our Big Boss emblem?

personally, I messed up half-way to the door on my first playthrough, but I certainly wasn't as crappy as to complain about an "unending wave of frogs and gekko"

Fool? Well screw me for not knowing about the sacred Big Boss Emblem.

Good grief.

Skilletor

Darkpen said:
Its not the first time I've heard that complaint. There is a minority of people, who we shall dub "english majors," that find the story laughable at best. Personally, I don't really care for their opinion.

But I like the story :(. Come up with a new "dub." :D

Of course, this is comparing it to other games.

Darkpen

Banned
thetrin said:
Dude, I'm an English BA, and loved the script. Don't label all the haters that way. We may all WRITE pretentiously, but we don't all think everything has to BE pretentious.

Skilletor said:
But I like the story :(. Come up with a new "dub." :D

Of course, this is comparing it to other games.
What do you propose?

DunpealD

U K Narayan said:
Regardless, FOXDIE working on
EVA
is the same as it working on
Big Boss
. There is no obvious visual cue. The virus did its thing IMMEDIATELY when
EVA made contact with Snake.

Sorry my fault for expressing my thoughts inaccurate, of course you're right it does its work IMMEDIATELY, but there's an actual visual cue that shows that FOXDIE has progressed to a deadly state.

soldat7

Darkpen said:
I'm calling you a fool for thinking that Act 5's beginning is intentionally a shooterfest.

MGS4 is one of the best games I've played and I level a couple of complaints and am called a fool.

Nice MGS4 community we have going here. *Exiting stage left*

AndresON777

shooting blanks
That's what I love about MGS4, you can play it as a shooterfest if you like. I'm doing my
2nd play thru right now and I'm taking out everything. Love killing those big apvs now with the rail gun. I think I'll just spare the beauties, I'm not going for the Big Boss Emblem until I have confirmation that it will show up on my trophies/achievements.

Darkpen

Banned
soldat7 said:
MGS4 is one of the best games I've played and I level a couple of complaints and am called a fool.

soldat7 said:
With regards to Act 5

Steroyd

soldat7 said:

Hold up, are you saying that:

Online Achievements > The reward of getting awesome items like the stealth camo and Bandanna? o_O
I'll never understand you people.

With regards to Act 5

That place is very easy to stealth in, you've just got to be aware that the Frogs and fall from above because they are looking for you, don't stay in the middle of the hallways either.

soldat7 said:

The part you mentioned is quite easy to slip through unseen. Hang to the left, tranq/kill any Frawgs and drop a Chaff to get by the Gekko to open the watertight door.

Darkpen

Banned
ChrisGoldstein said:
That's what I love about MGS4, you can play it as a shooterfest if you like. I'm doing my
2nd play thru right now and I'm taking out everything. Love killing those big apvs now with the rail gun. I think I'll just spare the beauties, I'm not going for the Big Boss Emblem until I have confirmation that it will show up on my trophies/achievements.
The lower difficulties certainly are shooterfests, but in turn, it ruins any chance at inspiring the idea of the game being a fucking STEALTH GAME to the god damned newbies. MGS1 had an oldschool approach of giving you limited health that would slowly grow by defeating new bosses, but with MGS4, that same sense of stealth is absolutely gone. People run into the open, and complain about how they're dying so damned much, as they blow through their initial collection of rations like the dumbasses they are.

I blame the game and how dumbed down it got, but on the other hand, I'm happy that they made the hardcore goals much more reachable this time around.

Edit: oh, and the worst part of it all: The fact that people will openly fire at the militiamen. I think they seriously needed to have Otacon remind Snake that you can ALLY WITH THEM, MAKING THE GAME EASIER.

DunpealD

soldat7 said:

Oh come on don't be like that he's just calling you a fool(don't take it too seriously), because you weren't even trying to be stealthy in Act 5 while saying that it's a shooterfest.

DunpealD said:
Sorry my fault for expressing my thoughts inaccurate, of course you're right it does its work IMMEDIATELY, but there's an actual visual cue that shows that FOXDIE has progressed to a deadly state.
For a good lot of its victims, I agree. I just disagree that it happened with the two characters that I mentioned.

Steroyd

I've done Act 2 now I have 1:42 on the clock. :D

The Drebin part wasn't as bad as I thought the manned machines in the Vista Mansion had me worried that they''d eat my life up which i'd suffer for later, and the other part where the Gekko's pop up and the Vehicle is stood still had me worried as well, then I figured that I look for a shadow on Snakes back, so i know when to get off the machne gun to CQC their ass, the Eva part on the motorbike won't be as forgiving I bet. :|

Oh well at least i can have a relaxing first half of Act 3.

DunpealD

U K Narayan said:
For a good lot of its victims, I agree. I just disagree that it happened with the two characters that I mentioned.

Well I'm not going to force my opinion on you so I'd say to each their own. You may take another look at that scene, if you do have doubts though.

tha_con

Banned
soldat7 said:

If I said GTA IV was a bad RPG, then I would be a fool.

You saying the beginning of Act 5 is a 'shooter fest' is essentially the same type of comment.

Torquill

tha_con said:
If I said GTA IV was a bad RPG, then I would be a fool.

You saying the beginning of Act 5 is a 'shooter fest' is essentially the same type of comment.

My analogy would have been "GTA IV has too much bowling"

MoxManiac

I'm happy that the stealth is underrespresented in this game. I never liked the heavy stealth much in MGS1 and 2 and thanks to changes in( the freedom of how you can play) MGS3 and MGS4 i'm enjoying the series much more. I can see why die hard fans would be dissapointed though.

Dyno

MoxManiac said:
I'm happy that the stealth is underrespresented in this game. I never liked the heavy stealth much in MGS1 and 2 and thanks to changes in( the freedom of how you can play) MGS3 and MGS4 i'm enjoying the series much more. I can see why die hard fans would be dissapointed though.

The great thing about MSG4 is that the stealth (which was always decent) is all there to use but the shooting has been elevated to equal status. Snake was always an amazing sneaker but his gunfighting was spotty at best due to camera and controls.

Now Snake is every bit as good an infantryman as he is a scout. I love that about the game.

I seriously miss the wait for MGS4. Goddamn, the only games I'm looking forward to now are FFXIII, RE5 and WKC. God knows when those two RPG's are coming out.

Announce MGS5, konami.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Maybe I'm just dense (or overlooked something in the game), but what the hell is that logo used on MGS Database supposed to be (it's the little icon used when selecting from the XMB and in the main program right after you click "Database")?

it looks like this:

GA
UDI

1stStrike

Banned
soldat7 said:
Fool? Well screw me for not knowing about the sacred Big Boss Emblem.

Good grief.

Even without it, you can sneak through there on any difficulty. You're suicidal doing it the way you are and setting yourself up for frustration.

There's some people that will charge a brick wall repeatedly no matter how often it knocks them down thinking they'll eventually break through.

Darkpen

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
Maybe I'm just dense (or overlooked something in the game), but what the hell is that logo used on MGS Database supposed to be (it's the little icon used when selecting from the XMB and in the main program right after you click "Database")?

it looks like this:

GA
UDI
Gaudi, the program Otacon uses to do everything. For instance, its through Gaudi that he detects REX's statistics and actions, as Snake pilots it.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Dyno said:
The great thing about MSG4 is that the stealth (which was always decent) is all there to use but the shooting has been elevated to equal status. Snake was always an amazing sneaker but his gunfighting was spotty at best due to camera and controls.

Now Snake is every bit as good an infantryman as he is a scout. I love that about the game.

Yes. I love the first person shooting, and if you want to be stealth go ahead but you're not forced to unless it's big boss extreme I reckon...which I have not played yet, only big boss hard.

Darkpen

Banned
Shinz Kicker said:
im suprised so many people are having so much trouble with BE mode. im gonna try a from scratch runn sometime soon. thats going to be rough.
The only time I was frustrated was during the bike chase. At other times, it was me being stupid and not taking something into account, or accidentally killing someone.

Steroyd

Shinz Kicker said:
im suprised so many people are having so much trouble with BE mode. im gonna try a from scratch runn sometime soon. thats going to be rough.

Not the difficulty itself per se (I'd find it very fun).

It's the no kill, no alert, no continue no health items and no special items within 5 hours thing that's breaking my balls. :(

You need to complete the game once for BE mode right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom