• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
One issue I have a question on:

When you get to
the MGS1 flashback playable scene
my TV likes to cut out and lose signal and so I have to turn it off then back on. Anyone else had this problem and is there a way to fix it?

robochimp

Kagari said:

When you get to
my TV likes to cut out and lose signal and so I have to turn it off then back on. Anyone else had this problem and is there a way to fix it?

It takes a while for that section to load up and to load afterwards but I do not have that problem

Don

Kagari said:
Where can I has more of this art:
There is also this one for Twin Snakes.
xelmwz.jpg

I also found one for Sons of Liberty but the quality isnt all that great as it looks like its been scanned from some art book.
Does anyone have the Snake Eater or Portable Ops ones in higer resolution?

atomico

Blu_LED said:
Is it possible
to get past the motorcycle part without killing anyone on Big Boss Extreme
?

sure. all you need is
the mk.22, a zillion tranq darts a shitload of luck :p

I expect to die a lot when I get to that part :lol

atomico

Kagari said:

When you get to

lol
are you serious?
look carefully. it says "HIDEO 2" instead of "VIDEO". Kojima's way of fucking with your brain. Psycho Mantis did the same thing in MGS1

I am trying to unlock the Stealth Camo and I know you need to get this by not getting a single alert

If I do get an alert do I have to just quit the game every time? or can I just get killed? Because I don't see any load game option, just save option

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
atomico said:
lol
are you serious?
look carefully. it says "HIDEO 2" instead of "VIDEO". Kojima's way of fucking with your brain. Psycho Mantis did the same thing in MGS1

no, it's probably an HDMI handshake issue (although the screen does stay black for a good 5-6 seconds before it loads.. HIDEO 2 comes up when you fight Screaming/Psycho Mantis.

robochimp

atomico said:
lol
are you serious?

except that doesn't happen there. I've never seen that in my three play throughs

sonicmj1

Ken Masters said:
I am trying to unlock the Stealth Camo and I know you need to get this by not getting a single alert

If I do get an alert do I have to just quit the game every time? or can I just get killed? Because I don't see any load game option, just save option

If you get an alert, go to the Save option, and select 'Return to Main Menu'. You can then load your last save from there.

Kinda clunky. I wish it had an RE4-style "restart from continue point" option in the pause screen.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Ken Masters said:

go to Save>Title Menu. It's a giant pain in the ass, I hope they patch a Load Game option to the in-game save menu.

Steroyd said:
Yes.

For the love of god I'm going to be upto that part soon. ;_;
I still have no clue how I got through that on BB hard, and thats the part I'm at on my BBxtreme run : (. The only thing I can suggest is to
hit the jeep gunner first and FAST. They will kill the most life. Also you can save after every single part of the chase, so restart and get through it with more health if you have to. You get you health restored during the last part so that helps. I found grenades to not be helpful at all. Have the double barrel loaded with v-ring ammo too. Make sure you hit one of the jeep gunner during the slow-mo jump. good luck

roxya

AzRim904 said:
Zero Punctuation review is up! Some funny parts, and most of you will hate it :D

Yeah it's not nice when he doesn't play the game properly and tells lies. Like 'Snake takes 1 second to ready his gun before shooting' only happens if you emptied your magazine and didn't bother reloading before putting it away. And apparently you have infinite tranq rounds? And you 'have to press L1 AND R1 AND triangle to shoot'? wtf!

Yes, i'm a MGS fanboy. So what.

atomico

alr1ghtstart said:
no, it's probably an HDMI handshake issue (although the screen does stay black for a good 5-6 seconds before it loads.. HIDEO 2 comes up when you fight Screaming/Psycho Mantis.

oh, right, the long loading sequence at the beginning of the act (with no "now loading" sign). I thought the game had frozen, for a sec, but forgot all about it :p

yeah, I thought he was talking about the "HIDEO 2" fake blank screen during the screaming mantis fight

my bad, sorry about that

sonicmj1 said:
If you get an alert, go to the Save option, and select 'Return to Main Menu'. You can then load your last save from there.

Kinda clunky. I wish it had an RE4-style "restart from continue point" option in the pause screen.

damn, this is going to be a bitch then

do you suggest I just play it on a easy difficulty ?

Orlics

atomico said:
lol
are you serious?

No that's not what he's talking about at all. Since the video mode changes at that part of the game, another handshake is required, which not all TVs might support 100%.

Oni Jazar

Kagari said:

When you get to

My TV had a delay on that section too. I think it changes the screen resolution from HD to SD.

Oni Jazar

alr1ghtstart said:
go to Save>Title Menu. It's a giant pain in the ass, I hope they patch a Load Game option to the in-game save menu.

It's always been a pain in the ass to get the no continue ratings in MGS games. It's not supposed to be easy being the Big Boss. :p

atomico

Ken Masters said:

you have to either restart or load a previous save. if you kill yourself and continue the game, the alert (and whatever you did until you died) will still count

fake edit: still haven't finished the game, but that's how it worked in the previous titles.

iirc there used to be a few more requirements as well, besides not triggering any alerts. you also had to get 0 kills, 0 deaths/continues, less than X number of saves, less than 1 lifebar of total damage and complete the game in less than X hours

atomico said:
you have to either restart or load a previous save. if you kill yourself and continue the game, the alert (and whatever you did until you died) will still count

fake edit: still haven't finished the game, but that's how it worked in the previous titles.

iirc there used to be a few more requirements as well, besides not triggering any alerts. you also had to get 0 kills, 0 deaths/continues, less than X number of saves, less than 1 lifebar of total damage and complete the game in less than X hours

what you described is getting the
big boss emblem

stealth camo is just no alerts

but how much easier would it be on a easier difficulty setting for no alerts?

sonicmj1

Ken Masters said:
damn, this is going to be a bitch then

do you suggest I just play it on a easy difficulty ?
Depends. Do you want it to be easy?

If all you're after is the stealth camo, then I suspect switching to an easier difficulty couldn't hurt. I'm planning on going for the Fox rank, so I'm playing on Normal.

Ploid 3.0

roxya said:
Yeah it's not nice when he doesn't play the game properly and tells lies. Like 'Snake takes 1 second to ready his gun before shooting' only happens if you emptied your magazine and didn't bother reloading before putting it away. And apparently you have infinite tranq rounds? And you 'have to press L1 AND R1 AND triangle to shoot'? wtf!]/b]

Yes, i'm a MGS fanboy. So what.

Yea, those parts made me wonder what was he playing. Infinite tranq rounds isn't even there on the easiest mode. Only if you use the bandana and I doubt he went through a second time.

Kydd BlaZe

Baryn said:
You know you can skip cutscenes... right?

MGS has always been an interactive story anyway. If you complain about that, complain about the amount of shooting in an FPS.
Lol, if I did that, there wouldn't be much left of the game. And not only that, i'd miss out on the story. I just felt that the cutscenes were ridiculously long with a lot of unecessary dialouge.

Bishman

MGS4 is up there with the best gaming experience I have ever had. OoT, RE4, Portal, and now MGS4. Now I can read all the spoilers in this thread. :lol

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
This was the first time I've ever seen the MGS4 official thread reach page 2 since it was first created.

This thread has to hold some kind of record...

What part of the game was Shane from 1UP talking about that he wanted changed?

I thought it was Act 3 but I can't remember.

I love this game despite some of its flaws, I've already said it's the best game I've played this generation so far. However did anyone else feel that the start of Act 5 is incredibly difficult compared to the rest of the game?

I want to play through it again and this time I will try and sneak by it but on my first playthrough I just run and gunned it and had to use about 6 rations o something :s

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Paranoid_Robot said:
I want to play through it again and this time I will try and sneak by it but on my first playthrough I just run and gunned it and had to use about 6 rations o something :s
It was pretty easy for me, but I was sneaking. OK, that's exaggerating - it wasn't pretty easy, but not nearly as hard as some other places in the game. I got through I think on my 3rd attempt.

Darkpen said:
Its not the first time I've heard that complaint. There is a minority of people, who we shall dub "english majors," that find the story laughable at best. Personally, I don't really care for their opinion.

As a former English major, you probably won't care for mine either, but here it is anyway:

I like to divide the narrative into two parts: the story and the writing. The story in all the Metal Gear games has always been entertaining, if a little too convoluted for its own good. That's never bothered me. It's all part of the fun, part of the genre that Kojima helped create.

What's always bothered me is the writing, and by writing, I mean the actual words coming out of the character's mouths. Very few scenes made me feel like I was witnessing real human emotions -- the best written scene in the game, in my opinion anyway, was the one in Act 3
where Snake and Meryl talk in the train station.
It had dialogue that actually sounded like something people would actually say in that situation. And yeah, the epilogue with
Big Boss in the graveyard was kind of cool for the character reveal, and then it turned into a 30 minute blah blah blah fest and felt like a huge wasted opportunity.

The other problem with the writing? There's way too much of it. I'm all for expressing a viewpoint through your characters, but for chrissakes, there are ways to do it that aren't so heavy-handed, long-winded, or frankly, boring. Did Naomi's talk about nanomachines prior to
the fight with Laughing Octopus
need to go on for 20 minutes? Are there ways that Kojima could've used a few sentences instead of a few paragraphs? Hell yes. The over-expository dialogue ends up working against the emotional content that Kojima's trying to hard to create. At the end of Act 4 when
Naomi is dying and Otacon is crying, Otacon's crying turns from sad to laughable because he has to keep on crying through Naomi's long, long farewell speech. If she had gotten her point across quickly, I might've felt something for him, but instead it turned something that could've been sad into something ridiculous.

And yeah, I realize that I could've skipped the cutscenes. But frankly, that's half the reason you buy these games. Still had fun playing the game, but I hope that Kojima spends a little bit of money on a good copy editor next time. :)

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Bishman said:
MGS4 is up there with the best gaming experience I have ever had. OoT, RE4, Portal, and now MGS4. Now I can read all the spoilers in this thread. :lol

Agreed sir agreed and I still haven't played the online portion of the game.

Ploid 3.0

Danielsan said:
Damnit, the tune that the resistance from act III whistles is stuck in my head. :lol

Sunny sings it too with different lyrics. I wonder if it was some kind of nursery rhyme or something that the patriots played for the children they obtained. Or perhaps it's just a popular tune in the world of MGS.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Ploid 3.0 said:
Sunny sings it too with different lyrics. I wonder if it was some kind of nursery rhyme or something that the patriots played for the children they obtained. Or perhaps it's just a popular tune in the world of MGS.

It's a brainwashing tune! It takes over you in your sleep.

Danielsan

Ploid 3.0 said:
Yeah I noticed. It's just that I found myself whisteling along with the resistance member during the entire stalking part. :lol

Steroyd

BobTheFork said:
I still have no clue how I got through that on BB hard, and thats the part I'm at on my BBxtreme run : (. The only thing I can suggest is to
hit the jeep gunner first and FAST. They will kill the most life. Also you can save after every single part of the chase, so restart and get through it with more health if you have to. You get you health restored during the last part so that helps. I found grenades to not be helpful at all. Have the double barrel loaded with v-ring ammo too. Make sure you hit one of the jeep gunner during the slow-mo jump. good luck

Yeah just got up to this part, lost so much life in the 1st section had half of the first bar lol, that meant one bullet in the next area meant death. :/

Tranqs for this are bs, unless you've got eagle aim, which i haven't got, frogs don't seem to get a delay if you don't hit them in the head which is nice.

dmshaposv

Lemming_JRS said:
As a former English major, you probably won't care for mine either, but here it is anyway:

I like to divide the narrative into two parts: the story and the writing. The story in all the Metal Gear games has always been entertaining, if a little too convoluted for its own good. That's never bothered me. It's all part of the fun, part of the genre that Kojima helped create.

What's always bothered me is the writing, and by writing, I mean the actual words coming out of the character's mouths. Very few scenes made me feel like I was witnessing real human emotions -- the best written scene in the game, in my opinion anyway, was the one in Act 3
where Snake and Meryl talk in the train station.
It had dialogue that actually sounded like something people would actually say in that situation. And yeah, the epilogue with
Big Boss in the graveyard was kind of cool for the character reveal, and then it turned into a 30 minute blah blah blah fest and felt like a huge wasted opportunity.

The other problem with the writing? There's way too much of it. I'm all for expressing a viewpoint through your characters, but for chrissakes, there are ways to do it that aren't so heavy-handed, long-winded, or frankly, boring. Did Naomi's talk about nanomachines prior to
the fight with Laughing Octopus
need to go on for 20 minutes? Are there ways that Kojima could've used a few sentences instead of a few paragraphs? Hell yes. The over-expository dialogue ends up working against the emotional content that Kojima's trying to hard to create. At the end of Act 4 when
Naomi is dying and Otacon is crying, Otacon's crying turns from sad to laughable because he has to keep on crying through Naomi's long, long farewell speech. If she had gotten her point across quickly, I might've felt something for him, but instead it turned something that could've been sad into something ridiculous.

And yeah, I realize that I could've skipped the cutscenes. But frankly, that's half the reason you buy these games. Still had fun playing the game, but I hope that Kojima spends a little bit of money on a good copy editor next time. :)

Agreed.

On a side note, I would say that Kojima knows how to set up an amazing cutscene, but in most cases a certain cutscene may lose its impact due to bad voice over by one of the characters or when its stretched too long. My favourite cutscenes aren't the lavishly staged Raiden fights but more subtle scenes such as :

- Big Boss's CQC hug.Snake's confused expression in it was spot on.
(But the whole big boss scene should've been quick and not as long as it was.)

- When Eva is sitting next to the wall hurt and says "is that you" and we see naked snake in a flash back. You can feel the longing in Eva's voice.

- When Otacon cries and we see flashbacks of Sniper wolf, EE and that sad tune play as Naomi dies. It got me but instantly but the impact went away when Chirstopher Randolph sounded completely composed (a bit too quick) saying that he's done crying.

- The montage split-screen scene when snake is going through the microwave room. Was probably second best handled scene after the "3 days later" graveyard scene. Excellent choice of music.

My favourite cutscene in the whole game was:

The intial scene in the "3 days ago" graveyard scene. Hayter isn't for once growling, and sounds hopeless as he asks for test results. The whole scene was a high point for the game (cinematography,voice acting,graphics), but the only thing that slighlty ruined it was campbell's forced "Track.Him.Down." Loved the part where he stares at his hand.

Farnack

Banned
So I finished the bike chase scene on The Boss Extreme only to find out that I accidentally continued once instead of reloading the save... >_>;

Steroyd

A tip for BE difficulty Act 3
car chase
... SPAM THE MOTHERFUCKING SMOKE GRENADES.

You'll live long enough to get to the next area that will fill your life (the third section that is).
The second area I thought was impossible at a certain part.

Fricken hell MGS4 is ruining me!

I was checking out some new R2 and Gears 2 screens and my god I am so underwhelmed and uninterested
whereas just a couple days before I played MGS I was so excited. The graphics of both of them look like
nothing special at all anymore and I remember being so blown away by the presentation.

Guzim

Ploid 3.0 said:
It's the Metal Gear Solid theme.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I'm really lovin' the "Here's To You" song in the credits. It's only four lines repeated and apparently it was originally in an Italian film, but it just fits so perfectly with the end of Snake's saga.

140.85 said:
I'm really lovin' the "Here's To You" song in the credits. It's only four lines repeated and apparently it was originally in an Italian film, but it just fits so perfectly with the end of Snake's saga.

I could not stand it, the singing hurt my ears. My least favorite end credits song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom