• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aalyx

Just wanted to pop in and say I got it a few days ago, 16 hours later I'm blown away and I'm pretty sure I've just played the game of the generation.

Now to go for the bandana and stealth camo...

Mromson

Steroyd said:
Gamefaqs makes no mention of it, and there are some emblems that makes me go hmmmm.

Well, I've got all Emblems except for the acquire 69 weapons and the Big Boss one (working on both of em atm). So curious if I'll get anything for my efforts (apart for the normal Big Boss rewards).

Solo

tribal24 said:

Its a variation of it (the end is a bit different). Still though, that the actual theme was never blasted away full-orchestral style (yes, I realize HGW doesn't use an orchestra, but you get what Im saying) even once in the game is a crime against humanity.

Mromson said:
Well, I've got all Emblems except for the acquire 69 weapons and the Big Boss one (working on both of em atm). So curious if I'll get anything for my efforts (apart for the normal Big Boss rewards).

You get the Snake Eater song when you get all emblems.

MiamiWesker said:
I could not stand it, the singing hurt my ears. My least favorite end credits song.

:lol I actually really dug it even though it totally doesn't sound like it should be in MGS.
It was such a good song in Life Aquatic.

Orlics

Solo said:
Its a variation of it (the end is a bit different). Still though, that the actual theme was never blasted away full-orchestral style (yes, I realize HGW doesn't use an orchestra, but you get what Im saying) even once in the game is a crime against humanity.

Are you sure you're talking about the same thing? this is the tune that the guy in act 3 whistles and that Sunny sings. It doesn't sound like TAPPY's MGS theme, nor does it sound like the track "Metal Gear Saga" (the one from MGS3).

The reason why the original main theme isn't in MGS4 is because Kojima found out that TAPPY stole it from some Russian guy, so he had it removed presumably.

Cartman86

Banned
Lemming_JRS said:
the best written scene in the game, in my opinion anyway, was the one in Act 3
where Snake and Meryl talk in the train station.
It had dialogue that actually sounded like something people would actually say in that situation.

I agree 100% that was the best writing in the game, and I noticed that the second it happened. For me I noticed even more than that. Every MGS before 4 to me has had a shit ton of awkward writing. But for me MGS4 evolved. It was better then the previous games and thats all I wanted. Sure Kojima still takes a long time to say things, but for me it works. It's like a book. Books give me a ton of details. Things that some people don't care about, but I do. It's an interactive book basically, and i'm fine with that. Is the writing as good as the best books? No, but i'm fine with it.

Cartman86

Banned
dmshaposv said:
Agreed.

On a side note, I would say that Kojima knows how to set up an amazing cutscene, but in most cases a certain cutscene may lose its impact due to bad voice over by one of the characters or when its stretched too long. My favourite cutscenes aren't the lavishly staged Raiden fights but more subtle scenes such as :

- Big Boss's CQC hug.Snake's confused expression in it was spot on.
(But the whole big boss scene should've been quick and not as long as it was.)

- When Eva is sitting next to the wall hurt and says "is that you" and we see naked snake in a flash back. You can feel the longing in Eva's voice.

- When Otacon cries and we see flashbacks of Sniper wolf, EE and that sad tune play as Naomi dies. It got me but instantly but the impact went away when Chirstopher Randolph sounded completely composed (a bit too quick) saying that he's done crying.

- The montage split-screen scene when snake is going through the microwave room. Was probably second best handled scene after the "3 days later" graveyard scene. Excellent choice of music.

My favourite cutscene in the whole game was:

The intial scene in the "3 days ago" graveyard scene. Hayter isn't for once growling, and sounds hopeless as he asks for test results. The whole scene was a high point for the game (cinematography,voice acting,graphics), but the only thing that slighlty ruined it was campbell's forced "Track.Him.Down." Loved the part where he stares at his hand.

Get out of my mind dmshaposv!!! Everytime I think about MGS4 I think of the scenes you said. especially the first one you mentioned. And I think of the same things that slightly ruin the scenes :(

Cartman86 said:
I agree 100% that was the best writing in the game, and I noticed that the second it happened. For me I noticed even more than that. Every MGS before 4 to me has had a shit ton of awkward writing. But for me MGS4 evolved. It was better then the previous games and thats all I wanted. Sure Kojima still takes a long time to say things, but for me it works. It's like a book. Books give me a ton of details. Things that some people don't care about, but I do. It's an interactive book basically, and i'm fine with that. Is the writing as good as the best books? No, but i'm fine with it.

I am glad peole noticed that scene. It stood out cause it felt like a true movie like scene. It was just two people sitting at a table talking and it totally worked. That scene stands out for me.

atomico

Bishman said:
MGS4 is up there with the best gaming experience I have ever had. OoT, RE4, Portal, and now MGS4. Now I can read all the spoilers in this thread. :lol

same here (except I never played portal :p).
eagle rank

Farnack

Banned
Crying Wolf is impossible!

So many frogs everywhere that can hear your night vision being engaged. Wolf will take about 6-7 shots and you need NV in order to see where to shoot her.

This is more painful than the bike chase.

Cartman86

Banned
Farnack said:

So many frogs everywhere that can hear your night vision being engaged. Wolf will take about 6-7 shots and you need NV in order to see where to shoot her.

I hid in the corner closest the exit (door to the next area after fight). The frogs don't come close enough to get me. Took about 20 minutes.

Farnack said:

Hide under the truck near to where you start, tranq the frogs as they approach and snipe Wolf whener she opens up to fire her railgun at you.

Farnack

Banned
Solo said:
You don't NEED night vision to beat her...
So what are you going to do?

Shoot inaccurately blinded by the snowstorm and have a billion Frogs jump on you?

Have to move to where she is to get her. She's not going to come to you and open up.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Ninja Kn1ght said:
Hide under the truck near to where you start, tranq the frogs as they approach and snipe Wolf whener she opens up to fire her railgun at you.

Seriously, this shouldn't need to be said. It made the fight so easy

Farnack

Banned
NinjaFridge said:
Seriously, this shouldn't need to be said. It made the fight so easy
Yeah, if you didn't have a time limit.

Oh hey, I did it and I got spotted under the truck. WOW!

Solo said:
I just take an elevated position and watch her run and stop. Pretty easy to snipe her then, NV or not.
How do you shoot at something in pure whiteness.

Farnack said:

Are you playing on Extreme? Use the rail gun for the first part. You should be able to tranq out the closest frogs from under the truck without being seen.

bathala

Banned
damn Gamefly sux. I've been waiting for this game for 2 weeks now
emangry.gif

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Farnack said:

She usually stands over behind one of the towers when not in the middle of the trees and she is actually out of the suit as if she were aiming at you. You can hit here if you crawl out from under the truck slightly, she then moves to the trees then you just wait.

Holtz

Don said:
There is also this one for Twin Snakes.
xelmwz.jpg

I also found one for Sons of Liberty but the quality isnt all that great as it looks like its been scanned from some art book.
Does anyone have the Snake Eater or Portable Ops ones in higer resolution?
Can you post the Sons of Liberty one even in crappy quality? I really want to see it.

scoobs

Farnack said:

yea..... or just whip out the grenade launcher and shoot her by following her path of broken trees and shit. I found it insanely easy.

Farnack said:

Spoiler just to be sure:
I did the hide under the truck sniping myself (M4 custom w/ rifle scope and suppressor), and I was able to spot her using the normal vision mode of the Solid Eye. I'd wait for the blue icon, then zoom in, pop a shot to get her to stop and pop the hood, and then go for the headshots.

Never got spotted for a second. I did get hurt once though, after she got pissed and slammed into the truck for some reason.

J2 Cool

alterno69 said:
>We need a MGS4 picture contest or something where to post spoilerrific and awesome pics.

I took this one on Act IV.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/alterno_photo/7c138bd8.jpg

Young Snake annoyed me a bit. It doesn't look like what I imagine Snake to look like, his jaw's a little pudgier than the rest of the series, and the grimace is way too fixed on his face. I wonder why they went back to basics for the design and modeled it after Sean Bean as has been said. I thought they already about nailed Snake in MGS2, and in 3 showed you the subtle visual difference between Big Boss and Snake. Then they moved away from it.

Oh well,
I would have loved a more fitting/accurate young Solid Snake and Big Boss mask.

Solo

J2 Cool said:
Young Snake annoyed me a bit. It doesn't look like what I imagine Snake to look like, his jaw's a little pudgier than the rest of the series, and the grimace is way too fixed on his face. I wonder why they went back to basics for the design and modeled it after Sean Bean as has been said. I thought they already about nailed Snake in MGS2, and in 3 showed you the subtle visual difference between Big Boss and Snake. Then they moved away from it.

Oh well,
I would have loved a more fitting/accurate young Solid Snake and Big Boss mask.

I said previously (and was promptly shit on, lolz) that I found Johnny's face model to look more like Solid Snake than the actual Young Snake model did.

1stStrike

Banned
You guys that are giving tips for crying wolf need to note that the guys that are working on the big boss emblem can't just waste time sitting underneath a truck. There's a better and faster way to go about it which keeps within your time limit.

J2 Cool

Solo said:
I said previously (and was promptly shit on, lolz) that I found Johnny's face model to look more like Solid Snake than the actual Young Snake model did.

it really did, it seemed like a nod to a young Snake/Meryl relationship.

1stStrike

Banned
Danielsan said:
Just gave Metal Gear Online a spin. I didn't like that at all... and yes the login system is retarded.

Once you setup your account it's pretty painless. Put auto-login on and it's not much different than warhawk or any other online game.

Also, there are some quirks about MGO that still annoy me, but the first couple times I played it I was just like "wtf this sucks"

I've gotten used to it, but it's still a bit weird. There are some things in the game that could use an overhaul/adjustment.

Don

Holtz said:
Can you post the Sons of Liberty one even in crappy quality? I really want to see it.
The Sons of Liberty one is two seperate images. Snake looks creepy in the first image.
qoaxhy.jpg
2i1hw69.jpg

Nizz

Anybody else's finger felt like mush
when Snake had to crawl his way through the microwave heated hallway on his way to GW?
Man, was I tense :lol I'm now
at the fight with Liquid Ocelot at the top of the carrier. But my CQC skills are in the basement :( The stealth and the shooting parts are great, but I've never been a big CQC user, so I'm kinda stuck at the hand to hand. But I'll get through, cause I can feel I'm close to the end...Ahhh, the end...

Solo

fps fanatic said:
Anybody else's finger felt like mush
when Snake had to crawl his way through the microwave heated hallway on his way to GW?

On my first playthrough? Yes. On my second? No, because I wasnt going at it too hard - I dont even know if its possible to die in that part. My life meter was at 0 about halfway down the hall, and yet I never died.

How do you use CQC on someone?

I slowly walk up behind someone with a gun aimed at his head and all that happens is he turns around and starts an alert phase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom