• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcua1884

Ken Masters said:
How do you use CQC on someone?

I slowly walk up behind someone with a gun aimed at his head and all that happens is he turns around and starts an alert phase

Don't aim your gun at them. Just walk up behind them, don't move the analog stick, and press R1. Also make sure you don't equip a two-handed weapon such as rifles or sub machineguns. Pistols are fine.

rcua1884 said:
Don't aim your gun at them. Just walk up behind them, don't move the analog stick, and press R1. Also make sure you don't equip a two-handed weapon such as rifles or sub machineguns. Pistols are fine.

I'm talking about when you have them in a stick up position and you can pat them down

JB1981

Ken Masters said:
I'm talking about when you have them in a stick up position and you can pat them down
you have to get really close and THEN press L1 to hold them up. They will be startled by the click of your gun. the stick-up won't work if you come up to them already aiming.

rcua1884

Ken Masters said:

Well, in that case, you have to get close to them, and THEN aim your gun at them to hold them up. Then you let go of L1, walk around to the front and press triangle when the prompt comes up. Then press triangle again in time to the prompts.

thanks, this was frustrating the hell out of me because it worked the first time, then after that I just tried to sneak up on them walking towards them with the gun out and got caught every damn time

I'm trying to get the stealth item this run, is there any way to check if you got an alert? I would be damn pissed if I beat the game and had 1 alert

you dont need to walk around front just let go of L1 and press triangle. makes sure to grab his balls at the end, or grope the frog. PSYCHE boost ftw.

rcua1884

Shinz Kicker said:
you dont need to walk around front just let go of L1 and press triangle. makes sure to grab his balls at the end, or grope the frog. PSYCHE boost ftw.

I go around front just to give the guards the decency of seeing me face to face so they know who exactly crushed their family jewels.

j-wood

NullPointer said:
Spoiler just to be sure:
I did the hide under the truck sniping myself (M4 custom w/ rifle scope and suppressor), and I was able to spot her using the normal vision mode of the Solid Eye. I'd wait for the blue icon, then zoom in, pop a shot to get her to stop and pop the hood, and then go for the headshots.

Never got spotted for a second. I did get hurt once though, after she got pissed and slammed into the truck for some reason.

You guys know that if you pick up the PSG-1 sniper rifle right before that battle, you can kill her in about 5-6 shots while hiding under the truck? You wait for her to come snooping out, then shoot the wolf armor. When she faces your direction and opens up to shoot the rail gun, shoot her with the PSG-1. She won't get a shot off, and you deal damage. I took no damage from the fight.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
fps fanatic said:
Anybody else's finger felt like mush
when Snake had to crawl his way through the microwave heated hallway on his way to GW?
Man, was I tense :lol I'm now
at the fight with Liquid Ocelot at the top of the carrier. But my CQC skills are in the basement :( The stealth and the shooting parts are great, but I've never been a big CQC user, so I'm kinda stuck at the hand to hand. But I'll get through, cause I can feel I'm close to the end...Ahhh, the end...

Finger!? How about the whole arm!

fps fanatic said:
when Snake had to crawl his way through the microwave heated hallway on his way to GW?
Man, was I tense :lol[/spoiler]
The
microwave hallway
scene is where I had tears running down my face. I was furiously pressing triangle, my arm getting very tired, watching my
comrades seemingly die in the screen above
with Otacon (as MK II) yelling at me that I can't fail that I must keep going! Fighting the tears I yelled back at him "I'm trying!"

After that scene I had to take a break and compose myself. Kojima owns my hearstrings.

Solo said:
I said previously (and was promptly shit on, lolz) that I found Johnny's face model to look more like Solid Snake than the actual Young Snake model did.
When he revealed himself, I honestly thought for a moment that he was a younger clone. :/

Morts

Possible end game spoiler:
Whose grave was Snake at in the beginning? I think I missed something. I don't think he would know who The Boss is, but the flashback to Big Boss saluting made it seem like that was what they were going for.

Wow this is amazing! On Act 4 you can crawl under the truck in front of the hanger and find your old .45 from MGS1! When you equip it Snake says "Just like old times" AMAZING.

!!!

Bishman

fps fanatic said:
Man, was I tense :lol I'm now
at the fight with Liquid Ocelot at the top of the carrier. But my CQC skills are in the basement :( The stealth and the shooting parts are great, but I've never been a big CQC user, so I'm kinda stuck at the hand to hand. But I'll get through, cause I can feel I'm close to the end...Ahhh, the end...
One of my favorite part in the game.
God I was tapping triangle with all my energy. My arm was getting tired but I didn't want to fail my team mates and hearing Octacon saying I can't die cuz we are so close almost made me cry.

hirokazu

Solo said:
I said previously (and was promptly shit on, lolz) that I found Johnny's face model to look more like Solid Snake than the actual Young Snake model did.
The Young Snake FaceCamo looks weird, yeah. I think it's already been stated, but all the Genome Soldiers have Big Boss' genes injected into them, dunno if that should have anything to do with Johnny looking a little like Snake.

I prefer the Snake model in Smash Bros. Brawl.

Morts said:
Possible end game spoiler:
Whose grave was Snake at in the beginning? I think I missed something. I don't think he would know who The Boss is, but the flashback to Big Boss saluting made it seem like that was what they were going for.
Big Boss' assumed grave.

Proc

What the hell is everyone playing now that they finished it? I'm finding it hard to warm up to MGO and looking for something new for one of my consoles. I'd grab BF:BC but the imminent pc release keeps me away. I'm just about finished NG2..hmm I'm itching for something new heh.

The young snake model is obviously a homage to Snatcher hell even
all of the act 3 sequence where your strolling watching the resistance dude
is obviously a homage.

snatcher_look.jpg

-COOLIO- said:
?

theyre different spins of the same tune :\
No, they aren't. They aren't the same tune. They don't sound same. Why do you even think they sound the same? What is wrong with you? Get out. Just get out.

untoldhero said:
is obviously a homage.

snatcher_look.jpg
I'm playing Snatcher, right now. I noticed that there's a ton of small stuff in Metal Gear Solid 4 that references Snatcher. It's awesome.

Darkpen

Banned
good fucking god, those paintings are HORRIBLE D:

And here I was, thinking how wonderful the MPO, MGS3, and TTS ones are.

Blu_LED said:
Is it possible
to get past the motorcycle part without killing anyone on Big Boss Extreme
?
yes

Kagari said:
One issue I have a question on:

When you get to
the MGS1 flashback playable scene
my TV likes to cut out and lose signal and so I have to turn it off then back on. Anyone else had this problem and is there a way to fix it?
that sucks, dude D: The emulated part takes a while to load, and then exit, but it actually cuts out for you?

Lemming_JRS said:
As a former English major, you probably won't care for mine either, but here it is anyway:
<clip>

I agree with your points, but the arguments I've heard are of the story itself. But yeah, the dialogue can be incredibly unrealistic and wonky at times. It made me have a hard time following some of the scenes during my first playthrough. I mean, what's up with that exchange between Snake and Raiden for the Act 4 briefing?

BigBoss said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who hated the Young Snake face model.
oh god, don't get me started. It looks so freaking horrible, especially when you place it right next to MGS2's Plisken, or even MGS3, before he gets the bandanna.

untoldhero said:
is obviously a homage.

snatcher_look.jpg
oh...

well... STILL, it looks bleagh

Farnack said:
xb0g6.jpg

One more... play through. 8D! I love this game.
Dear god, how many playthroughs have you done?

hirokazu

1stStrike said:
MGS4 highlights the biggest weakness of the PS3 for me: Lack of achievements. This game seems tailor-made for them.

And why can't I level-select? Lame.
You can't level select because of the way the game data is installed on the HDD.

I think the emblems are MGS4's equivalent of achievements, and it is for this reason I also think MGS4 will never have trophies when the XMB supports them, unless the emblems are displayed as trophies.

jett

D-Member
WTF are you people on? Johnny is too much of a prettyboy to look even remotely like Snake. I cringed when he removed his mask.

Darkpen

Banned
jett said:
WTF are you people on? Johnny is too much of a prettyboy to look even remotely like Snake. I cringed when he removed his mask.
Johnny looks WEIRD

People are actually comparing him to Snake?

Darkpen

Banned
Proc said:
What the hell is everyone playing now that they finished it? I'm finding it hard to warm up to MGO and looking for something new for one of my consoles. I'd grab BF:BC but the imminent pc release keeps me away. I'm just about finished NG2..hmm I'm itching for something new heh.
Do you feel like you're in a limbo between "I want to play something, but I just finished something that was the end to an epic series, so I'm not really sure what I want to do with my life"?

If so, I suggest playing through MGS4 again to pick up ipod tunes, tranqing everyone, especially the B&B Corps when they're in their beast suit, as well as the FROGS during the mansion invasion in Act 1, to get the Solar gun. Also try to get the Altair outfit with low alerts, high kills with the knife, and then later try to do the Big Boss run on The Boss Extreme, with zero alerts, kills, or continues.

Darkpen

Banned
blindrocket said:
When he revealed himself, I honestly thought for a moment that he was a younger clone. :/
You know, I wonder...

Considering that the genome soldiers received gene therapy... but wait, he avoids needles like the plague.

Oh well, there goes that theory.

But really, I had that same thought too, but I don't think that's the case. He looks weird and different.

Nooreo

OMGWTFBBQ!!!

I got zero kills i unlocked the bandana i expected to get the solargun i beat all the beauties with tranq. But i think i know what went wrong you know when your suppose to kill mantis
I used the psycho mantis doll on it and yeah i think i killed the suit.. how can i not kill the suit?

SRG01

Nooreo said:
OMGWTFBBQ!!!

I got zero kills i unlocked the bandana i expected to get the solargun i beat all the beauties with tranq. But i think i know what went wrong you know when your suppose to kill mantis
I used the psycho mantis doll on it and yeah i think i killed the suit.. how can i not kill the suit?

It doesn't count for Mantis. The statue is somewhere in the area.

Darkpen

Banned
Nooreo said:
OMGWTFBBQ!!!

You have to beat them in beast form with psyche (stamina), and then during the beauty fight, look around the area for their respective action figure thing. If you collect all 5, which includes the Haven trooper (acquired by not killing any of the FROGs in the mansion fight in Act 1), then you get the Solar gun at the end.

For the Mantis fight, you don't need to use tranqs at all until you get to the Beauty fight. Just shoot her Mantis doll with a normal gun (its easier, IMO), and then when the Beauty fight starts, you'll be able to find the Mantis action figure at the entrance of where you came in from.

Nooreo

Darkpen said:
You have to beat them in beast form with psyche (stamina), and then during the beauty fight, look around the area for their respective action figure thing. If you collect all 5, which includes the Haven trooper (acquired by not killing any of the FROGs in the mansion fight in Act 1), then you get the Solar gun at the end.

For the Mantis fight, you don't need to use tranqs at all until you get to the Beauty fight. Just shoot her Mantis doll with a normal gun (its easier, IMO), and then when the Beauty fight starts, you'll be able to find the Mantis action figure at the entrance of where you came in from.
I have to get the action figures?!!, no one told me this T__T, sigh next run i guess. also i have the frogs action figure ^__^.

Kagari said:
That TV blanking out issue, maybe it's my HDMI settings? It does it when I play PS1 games too.

Your TV could just have trouble with sub 480p signals in general. Does it do the same thing with, say, Wii VC?

Proc

Playing this game again doesn't sound like a bad idea actually. Act 1 seems like it would be a blast the second time around.

Orlics

Wait, I haven't read the database yet, but I heard it says that
Big Boss was eventually a snatcher, making the Snake's Revenge game canon.

...if this is true, doesn't it sort of destroy the character of Big Boss completely? Also how the hell would he die of Foxdie?

Darkpen

Banned
Orlics said:
Wait, I haven't read the database yet, but I heard it says that
Big Boss was eventually a snatcher, making the Snake's Revenge game canon.

...if this is true, doesn't it sort of destroy the character of Big Boss completely? Also how the hell would he die of Foxdie?
With the help of Dr. Madnar,
Big Boss's body was assisted with Snatcher technology, reviving him for Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. Its the reason why you could only defeat him using a flamethrower.

It doesn't really validate Snake's Revenge in its entirety though.

Edit: I think they decided to take bits and pieces of Snake's Revenge's story, I guess, would would basically only be the cyborg thing. (Maybe even the whole run-and-gun thing, too, come to think of it, as well as the jungle entry)

Kagari said:
If it does that with your PS1 games too, maybe you should try messing with the PS1/PS2 BC settings, like upscaling and whatnot.

Orlics

Darkpen said:
With the help of Dr. Madnar,
Big Boss's body was assisted with Snatcher technology, reviving him for Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. Its the reason why you could only defeat him using a flamethrower.

It doesn't really validate Snake's Revenge in its entirety though.

Also, didn't Snake kill Madnar? Why did he not react at all when Otacon told him about him?

hirokazu

Kagari said:
I don't know what the problem is, but my TV definitely adjusts resolution when booting Folding or a game from the XMB, from 720p to... 720p. But it never adjusts the resolution during any part of MGS4, including that part.

Does your TV say "No Signal" or something like that when there's no signal? And if so, does that show up when that particular part of the game begins?

Because my TV sometimes fudges up the HDMI handshake and I'd get no signal, or I'd get video with no sound, if I turn the TV on or switch to the HDMI channel AFTER I turn on the PS3, and I'd have to turn it off and back on or switch to a different channel then switch back. Once it's done the handshake successfully, there's no issues though.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
hirokazu said:
I don't know what the problem is, but my TV definitely adjusts resolution when booting Folding or a game from the XMB, from 720p to... 720p. But it never adjusts the resolution during any part of MGS4, including that part.

Does your TV say "No Signal" or something like that when there's no signal? And if so, does that show up when that particular part of the game begins?

Because my TV sometimes fudges up the HDMI handshake and I'd get no signal, or I'd get video with no sound, if I turn the TV on or switch to the HDMI channel AFTER I turn on the PS3, and I'd have to turn it off and back on or switch to a different channel then switch back.

Yeah. I basically get the No signal message when it starts.

Darkpen

Banned
Orlics said:
Also, didn't Snake kill Madnar? Why did he not react at all when Otacon told him about him?
Edit: I got my MGS history completely wrong.

wiki said:
Upon reaching the suspension bridge leading to the Detention Camp, Gustava is killed by a missile fired by Metal Gear D and Dr. Madnar is recaptured by the enemy. The new Metal Gear's pilot is revealed to be none other than Snake's former mercenary buddy Gray Fox. Determined to finish his mission, Snake fights against Zanzibar Land's elite mercenary force and manages to reach Dr. Marv's cell.

Snake arrives too late, unfortunately, as he finds the corpse of Dr. Marv, who was unable to survive the repeated torture. Dr. Madnar is also there and explains he was unable to save him. Just before Snake could retrieve the OILIX formula left by Dr. Marv, Holly reveals via a radio message that Dr. Madnar was not captured after all, but voluntarily resumed his work on Metal Gear and was personally overseeing its development. After the truth comes out, Dr. Madnar attacks Snake, but fails in killing him.

It doesn't say that Snake kills Madnar though.

If I start the Boss Extreme and save over my main file, am I stuck or is there a way to start a new game with all my previous info (guns, items, etc)? I don't want to start Extreme only to find out I can't back out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom