• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCtheMC

Just completed Acts 1 and 2 for my TBE run, only to find ONE kill at the end of Act 2... replayed from multiple saves, and somehow i didn't get it during the
Frog Encounter in Naomi's lab or Drebin's APC chase
, but somewhere before... Gonna have to redo the whole farking thing now :(

Dear Kojima, please patch this game so i can see the amount of kills in the savefile info... this is killing me.

1stStrike

Banned
dabookerman said:
Sweet ok, I must have them then. Man I come home tomorrow, can't wait to play mgs4 again.

Just make sure you spread your ammo out and save the vrings for boss fights. I really prefer tranquing with the sniper rifle from a distance, but with only 50 shots I had to balance it out between that, the pistol and some cqc now and then (or just straight up avoiding fights, which was still easy).

JCtheMC said:
Just completed Acts 1 and 2 for my TBE run, only to find ONE kill at the end of Act 2... replayed from multiple saves, and somehow i didn't get it during the

Dear Kojima, please patch this game so i can see the amount of kills in the savefile info... this is killing me.

Haha, I had 1 kill at the end of act 5 after I had spent about 5 hours on the two final boss fights combined. Imagine going through all the ending credits, thinking you finally did it only to see...FOXHOUND pop up instead of BIG BOSS.

I was just like...WHAAAAAAAT THE FUUUUUUCK

And my last clean save was at the beginning of act 5..D:

Steroyd

JCtheMC said:

Mission briefings are your friends. ;)

JCtheMC

1stStrike said:
Haha, I had 1 kill at the end of act 5 after I had spent about 5 hours on the two final boss fights combined. Imagine going through all the ending credits, thinking you finally did it only to see...FOXHOUND pop up instead of BIG BOSS.

I was just like...WHAAAAAAAT THE FUUUUUUCK

And my last clean save was at the beginning of act 5..D:

Man that has to hurt.

Steroyd said:
Mission briefings are your friends. ;)

Oh man, i feel like such an idiot now. Thanks :)

eso76

Darkpen said:
What is it with you people as calling MGS3 "believable"?

coherent is probably a better choice of words.
better sense of 'measure' and balance; Hideo Kojima is a good writer, and i really appreciate his researching (that's especially true for his early games, MG2, Snatcher, Policenauts) and the effort he puts into everything he does.
He always tried to 'invent' sci fi devices based on real life principles, stuff you could believe could work in the real world, and fictional, but very accurate and believable, political scenarios.
By trying to put this many plot twists in a story which wasn't originally conceived to develop like this, some pieces of the puzzle ended up just not matching; several things in mgs4 contradict what MGS story had told us so far, shattering the suspension of disbelief, there's several things you can't help feeling were forced trying to make things more spectacular, needlessly convoluted and with sometimes exaggerated drama tints.
I really loved mgs4, but i felt mgs3 was better on many levels, especially for telling a story which hasn't suffered from 3 sequels which were not planned from the start.

hirokazu

Darkpen said:
LOL

Oh my god, I just realized what Sunny's playing.

I'm watching the Mission 2 briefing for my Altair run, and I'm messing with the Mk 2, and while looking at what Sunny's playing on her PSP, I realized, its freaking Penguin Adventure, the first game Kojima worked on :lol Oh my god.
Haha, I was trying to figure out what racing game it was. Looking at Penguin Adventure footage, I see it wasn't even a racing game.

Darkpen

Banned
disappeared said:
Has anyone noticed that when Snake tries taking a photo of a Minami Akina poster, he says "Akina!" in a rather excited tone? :lol
if you knock out the painting that hides her poster, he says "Akina" there too.

So many little things. This is why I never tire of this series. You can go back and play any of the games down the road and find stuff you missed, or stuff you plain forgot about.

Cartman86

Banned
disappeared said:
So many little things. This is why I never tire of this series. You can go back and play any of the games down the road and find stuff you missed, or stuff you plain forgot about.

Something that I think people who don't play the games skim over. More than any other game series out there MGS has amazing "easter eggs". Quite unique.

Steroyd

This car chase is pissing me off.

I can get to a certain part without losing any health then I get shot to shit for no reason.

I'm talking about when the 2 vehicles try to road block I can take out one limiting how much health I lose, but when i'm what looks like clear of them cars blow up and my health depletes to near zero and my health is STILL getting takken down by some invisible sniper, what's even more annoying is that it's almost completely random one way or the other.

>_<

hirokazu

JCtheMC said:

Load your save files for the Mission Briefing viewer and it'll show you your statistics up to the point where you saved the game. Takes the trouble out of replaying bits trying to see where you messed up.

EDIT: Oh, already suggested.

Owensboro

Ploid 3.0 said:
Man this dude is the most amazing MGS4 player I have ever seen. The Boss Extreme mode. It's like this is some jackie chan planned level of precision. I get alerts just trying to get close to a pmc in this mode. \I need to get some skills like this.

Warning highly spoiler filled. A whole level in act 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH60MOvrAog

Holy crap-ola. That gives me some great ideas. I'm probably going to start my own Big Boss no-anything run this weekend when I have some free time. He seems to be tranq-ing alot of people though, is that normal for a run through? I guess you don't really need any tranq ammo for
act 4
but it seems like at that rate he's gonna run out of ammo real quick. Guess i'm just going to have to start marking down ammo pickups :(.

SpokkX

I was going through act 1 yesterday and is there any way to help the rebels "win" every scenario?

The first one is possible (the rebels yell: "We won!" etc) but the scenario just before entering the house
with Meryl and her Rat Patrol
didn´t seem possible to "win" no matter how many PMC I killed?! They just kept respawning

Steroyd

monkhead.jpg

I did it finally.

Now onto Raven... which should be simple in comparison.

glaurung

Madsucktion said:
Holy crap-ola. That gives me some great ideas. I'm probably going to start my own Big Boss no-anything run this weekend when I have some free time. He seems to be tranq-ing alot of people though, is that normal for a run through? I guess you don't really need any tranq ammo for
act 4
but it seems like at that rate he's gonna run out of ammo real quick. Guess i'm just going to have to start marking down ammo pickups :(.

I think that it would be nigh impossible to do an EXTREME run by simply avoiding all the enemies. Especially in the second act, I think you can get boxed very easily by patrols coming from both sides.

I don't think the ammunition issue is that great of a deal. Later on, the number of human enemies drops significantly, and you can still buy stuff from Drebin, right?

Steroyd

glaurung said:
I think that it would be nigh impossible to do an EXTREME run by simply avoiding all the enemies. Especially in the second act, I think you can get boxed very easily by patrols coming from both sides.

I don't think the ammunition issue is that great of a deal. Later on, the number of human enemies drops significantly, and you can still buy stuff from Drebin, right?

You can't buy tranqs from Drebin.

Or any non lethal ammo now that I look at the store.

So it's best to stock up on the stuff on easier difficulties, so you have full ammo when you start extreme.

My only problem I think I'll have on Extreme from now on, is Crying Mantis the rest should be as smooth as smooth can be on Extreme. :/

Oh shit yeah forgot about the Gekko thing in Act 4. :|

Owensboro

Steroyd said:

So it's best to stock up on the stuff on easier difficulties, so you have full ammo when you start extreme.

My only problem I think I'll have on Extreme from now on, is Crying Mantis the rest should be as smooth as smooth can be on Extreme. :/

As long as you have Chaff Grenades Act 4 should be cake. Lots of crawling, barrel disguise, and Chaff.

About Crying Mantis though -->
If you tranq her guards she still uses them in the fight in order to protect her dolls. If you "accidentally" clip one of her guards while aming for the doll, does that count as a kill? I'm assuming it does, and if true is going to make that fight a helluva lot harder then I though.

P.S. I meant I was trying an EXTREME run through, not Big Boss. Just wasn't thinking when I was typing.

Just watched the first chapter of the making of Blu-ray. Did any one see the part where they re-recorded the lines of Sunny?
They re-recorded the lines of Sunny for the ending in the Japanese version. I don't remember exactly what she says but that in the American ending Sunny isn't in the last conversation at all.

glaurung

DancingCactus77 said:
Just watched the first chapter of the making of Blu-ray. Did any one see the part where they re-recorded the lines of Sunny?
They re-recorded the lines of Sunny for the ending in the Japanese version. I don't remember exactly what she says but that in the American ending Sunny isn't in the last conversation at all.

The last scene where she befriends the local boy and talks to Otacon about Snake? She had plenty of lines in there.

Does the database application scan the System Data save file or the game progress save file?

No – not the exact words but I remember her saying something like
"Let's go Snake, Otacon. They are waiting!" Kojima goes on to say in the interview that the line is supposed to be ambiguous as to who are waiting for Snake and Otacon.

glaurung said:
The last scene where she befriends the local boy and talks to Otacon about Snake? She had plenty of lines in there.

Does the database application scan the System Data save file or the game progress save file?

SpokkX

SpokkX said:
I was going through act 1 yesterday and is there any way to help the rebels "win" every scenario?

The first one is possible (the rebels yell: "We won!" etc) but the scenario just before entering the house
with Meryl and her Rat Patrol
didn´t seem possible to "win" no matter how many PMC I killed?! They just kept respawning

anyone?

Dez

SpokkX said:

You're right, there are some areas where PMCs will keep respawning - specifically in Act 1 where the chopper appears, and some place in Act 2, as well. kinda lame, but oh well.

glaurung

SpokkX said:

I believe that the two instances just before the
first FROGS encounter and meeting up with Meryl
feature infinite enemies.

You can take out or tranq the snipers, but the PMCs coming from the small alley just below the building with the snipers will never end. It should be easy to sneak past them though.

The same applies for the next instance, just outside the building that you need to enter: you can destroy the heli and keep dropping the PMCs that spawn across the street, but they will never end.

eso76 said:
coherent is probably a better choice of words.
better sense of 'measure' and balance; Hideo Kojima is a good writer, and i really appreciate his researching (that's especially true for his early games, MG2, Snatcher, Policenauts) and the effort he puts into everything he does.
He always tried to 'invent' sci fi devices based on real life principles, stuff you could believe could work in the real world, and fictional, but very accurate and believable, political scenarios.
By trying to put this many plot twists in a story which wasn't originally conceived to develop like this, some pieces of the puzzle ended up just not matching; several things in mgs4 contradict what MGS story had told us so far, shattering the suspension of disbelief, there's several things you can't help feeling were forced trying to make things more spectacular, needlessly convoluted and with sometimes exaggerated drama tints.
I really loved mgs4, but i felt mgs3 was better on many levels, especially for telling a story which hasn't suffered from 3 sequels which were not planned from the start.
I feel the same way. I like Metal Gear Solid 4 WAY WAY more than Metal Gear Solid 3, but in the convolutedness of 4's story (which I do love,) Metal Gear Solid 3's story holds an advantage.

SRG01

Madsucktion said:
As long as you have Chaff Grenades Act 4 should be cake. Lots of crawling, barrel disguise, and Chaff.

If you tranq her guards she still uses them in the fight in order to protect her dolls. If you "accidentally" clip one of her guards while aming for the doll, does that count as a kill? I'm assuming it does, and if true is going to make that fight a helluva lot harder then I though.

P.S. I meant I was trying an EXTREME run through, not Big Boss. Just wasn't thinking when I was typing.

If you tranq the Frogs enough, they will stay down. By the end of the fight, it was one-on-one between me and Mantis.

edit: Oh one other question guys:
What happens if you syringe a PMC solder? Would they lose all stamina?

Steroyd

glaurung said:
Bummer, didn't know that.

What's the maximum tranq stock you can have for the tranq gun and Mosin?

50 MK22 tranqs.
50 Nosin Nagant tranqs.

As long as you're smart with your tranqs you shouldn't be in a situation where you run out.

Madsucktion said:

SRG01 said:
If you tranq the Frogs enough, they will stay down. By the end of the fight, it was one-on-one between me and Mantis.

I thought pwnzoring the
Sorrow doll will keep the Frogs down at least temporarily until you collect both of them.

My only worry about Crying Mantis is the part where
Crying Mantis tries to get Meryll to suicide herself, she'll be placed right in the middle of all the frogs which is going to make it hard to go down there and syringe her without getting hacked from behind and losing health.

Too far away to be worrying about it now mind you but still...

Returners

DancingCactus77 said:
No – not the exact words but I remember her saying something like
"Let's go Snake, Otacon. They are waiting!" Kojima goes on to say in the interview that the line is supposed to be ambiguous as to who are waiting for Snake and Otacon.

i think they rerecorded some parts of Act 1 as well...

something about
"Your not watching your nicotine intake"

That line was at the end, when
she was making the eggs, instead of "Otacon, Snake, the eggs are ready" (or something along those lines), it got changed to "Come everyone, the eggs are ready".

If i remember correctly that was to keep the player guessing if Snake was alive or not

Darkpen

Banned
augh!

Okay, so I just finished my Altair run, and I ended up getting the stupid Wolf emblem, because I didn't use health items or die. Then I went and redid it from my last save, and died once on purpose, and a health item. Then when I finished again, I ended up getting the stupid Bear emblem. I mean, sure I got the Altair outfit and the emblem itself, but not with the little yellow thing :(

Augh!

Darkpen

Banned
DancingCactus77 said:
In the English version, she says
"Come quick! Look, they're ready. They look... yummy. Sort of like the sun; its rising again."

Steroyd said:

and thus the reason why the Solar gun is useful :p

The only hard thing about Crying Mantis is
that Mantis has more strings than in the other difficulties, and she moves around more, making the shot harder. Regardless, its still really easy.

How the hell do I get rid of this colored vest?

and also
in order to get the solar gun do I have to kill all the frogs in the mansion in act 1 by non lethal means? How do I do that?

Going to start my third play through today. Probably not going for a specific title. I got Eagle last time through. Will probably even stick to Solid Normal difficulty. We'll see.

Steroyd

:lol :lol :lol Raging Raven.

OMFG a fully charged Rail Gun shot to the head knocks off 95% health, and I started the fight with a tiny bit of her health down, does the damage I do in the car chase part accumulate into the boss battle... is it possible to kill her before we get to that boss battle!? o_O

DunpealD

Madsucktion said:

Don't waste your trang ammo for her "guards" just use the syringe and they fall down like puppets without strings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom