• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
ugh, due to work, this is taking longer to get round to than i thought.

I'll give my big fat xbot review once done, but my general take is : the game is great -when- it lets me play. Act1 and Act2 were fantastic, since then, it's been downhill. As not a big MGS fan, i've found the game play excellent, the story is not for me obviously!

Just one final act to complete.

I am on my 2nd play through now going for 0 Kills/Alerts, and have got to the Frog battle in the Palace in Act 1. There are frogs hanging on the wall, if I shoot them with my tranq. pistol and they fall on the ground and vanish into a blue mist; does that count as a kill?

Also, what are the
different scream, fear, etc bullets all about in Drebins shop? I noticed the Mosin-Nagant has four coloured icons which I assume means it can take said bullets. Anyone know what they are for?

Thanks!

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Are there any hi-res (720p stills) captures of the ending scene with
Big Boss
floating around?

Cartman86

Banned
LevityNYC said:
Question.

Has anyone timed the actual total cut scene lengths? I beat the game the first time in 19 hours and I am wondering what the total cut scene time was. It should be the same for everyone assuming you didnt FFwd the codecs or skip the cinema scenes.

Thanks

I've heard 8 hours of cutscenes and non-interactive stuff.

Shinjiru

Farnack said:
You didn't get mind blown when you saw
Big Boss' voice actor in the credits and think "Whoa... wait a minute... Big Boss said something? WHAT THE FFFFFFFFFF".

I hear dabookerman's "whoa!" everytime I see that scene now! :D

KennyLinder said:
I am on my 2nd play through now going for 0 Kills/Alerts, and have got to the Frog battle in the Palace in Act 1. There are frogs hanging on the wall, if I shoot them with my tranq. pistol and they fall on the ground and vanish into a blue mist; does that count as a kill?

Also, what are the
different scream, fear, etc bullets all about in Drebins shop? I noticed the Mosin-Nagant has four coloured icons which I assume means it can take said bullets. Anyone know what they are for?

Thanks!

1. I think it does though there are some arguments elsewhere about it.

They are gimmick tranq bullets for the Mk22/Mosin Nagant. The first shot causes the target to act out with the emotion - eg: start getting really angry - the second shot is then enough for the tranq effect to kick in totally. It's basically just extra tranq ammo for high difficulty players, but also comedy effect for those who want to mess with soldiers minds. They are still aware - it's not quite magazine level distraction - but it helps for sneaking.

I seem to recall someone saying the colored smoke grenades do the same.

Yagharek

Farnack said:
Big Boss' voice actor in the credits and think "Whoa... wait a minute... Big Boss said something? WHAT THE FFFFFFFFFF".

EXACTLY what I thought.

Farnack said:

Well i missed Hideo Kojima doing the voice of god so at that point in time i already rationalized away any other character/voice i might have missed. Thats why it didn't have as big of an impact for me.

Cartman86

Banned
RandomVince said:
EXACTLY what I thought.

I walked away expecting
something to be shown after the credits like normal. Then as I was talking to one of my roommates about beating it I look over his shoulder to see the name Big Boss, and it fade to a scene. Was using headphones so I ran like crazy back to the game.

Atrus

Gold Member
I shot FROG's hanging on walls and didn't get any kills for it on my no kill/no alert run. I figure the rules from MGS3 apply since in the end of MGS3 there is no way to avoid killing all those motorcyclists you tranq. Therefore consequent actions of tranquilizing are not reflected as kills.

Doc Evils

FFObsessed said:
My Japanese Limited Edition came today, it's damn sexay, the best of the 3 imo. I've decided to skip the US one because the packaging is pretty meh.

The JP LE goes nicely with my UK LE :D

I think that will be it for my MGS4 purchases... unless I can find that MGS4 tin that some people got from the Kojima tour... hmm

*goes to eBay*

lol same as me. I ordered the JPN LE and want that darn MGS4 tin! I saw it sold for £90 last week and it has been the last one ever since. :(

Kuroyume

Banned
Steroyd said:
ALL ALERTS COUNT!!!

And what TBIYTC? an Ipod tune?

Oh fuck it I've got about 2:30 hours on the clock anyway I'm way ahead of my "1 hour an Act" target by a mile.

I found it. It appears in the area that Otacon opens up for you after the boss fight so it's not hard to miss.

Btw, all the boss fights so far have been great. The area where the Crying Wolf fight takes place is really impressive in regards to the weather. I chickened out and spent my time under a tank after she charged at me a few times the first time I attempted to fight her. They did such a fantastic job showing off her strength, speed, and size. She was scary. :lol

Farnack

Banned
I hope there will be a Metal Gear
Raiden.

I want to see the exploits of Raiden when he went to rescue Sunny. It seems like a very interesting adventure.

And the fact that he changed during that time will also be something to look forward to.

Guled

Farnack said:
I hope there will be a Metal Gear
Raiden.

I want to see the exploits of Raiden when he went to rescue Sunny. It seems like a very interesting adventure.

And the fact that he changed during that time will also be something to look forward to.
Ryan said that the next MG might
go back to big boss and his time with the patriots, which I would like to see more then Raiden (but any would be fine)

I've recently beaten the game on Solid normal for the 2nd time. I will most likely play through it a third time and then a fourth and so on. I do have some slightly negative comments about 4 though. I consider myself a pretty big MGS fan and MGS4 was highly anticipated. Having been enthralled by MGS3's pure awesomeness and enticed by MGS2's interesting story. MGS4 looked to be the perfect MGS. It was not to be though, as I do find 4 to be the weakest of the main 4 but better then Portable Ops. To me 3 is still the best MGS. Allow me to dig deeper into my thoughts about MGs4, act by act.

Act 1

An awesome introduction. I love the camouflage system. I also love the gunplay. I also love how it really feels like a battlefield but sadly this ends way to early to me. I really wish this level was extended longer. Its like right after you separate with Meryl's group bam your at Liquid's base. I would have liked a lot more areas between the base and where you are. Its a shame to because Act 2 doesn't present an as interesting battlefield. Act 1's level just feels so fresh and cool compared to the other MGS environments. I just wish it had been longer and had more unique obstacles, like perhaps a minefield or walking on the rooftops while trying to avoid snipers. I'm sure there are a lot of interesting set pieces that could have been derived from what actually goes on in Middle Eastern warfare.

Act 2
Probably my favorite act as it feels the longest and it just feels like a different area with a lot more going on in it. So theres a lot of different ways to sneak around. The helping the rebels mechanic is a little forced and really doesn't feel like a choice here though. I really don't have a lot to say about this act as I feel it was the best. The boss battle here is also probably the best in the game.

Act 3
The worst act in my opion. The tailing mission is not fun and takes way to long. The AI gets annoying as it stays on a set path. So much so that if the AI is alerted he will run perhaps the way he actually is supposed to but after he leaves alert phase, will go back to where he was before. Stupid stuff like this is not fun in GTA and it isn't fun in MGS as its just following a guy. You also sadly can't just skip following him and go there yourself, you have to actually follow him. I would have much prefer some classic solo sneaking here. Perhaps the game could have forced you to make use of CQC and interrogate some people to get the location of the base. Would have been much more fun. If not that how about a shortened tailing part. This time though, after Raging Raven attacks you and Big Mama separate. You then have to sneak around, with those Ravens in the air, to the meet up area where you have the boss fight. Also I would like to add that I thought Raven's boss fight was really boring.

Act 4

Really short, though this doesn't bother me as I just don't like these robot enemies.

Act 5
Also really short. I would have loved more then one area to sneak around. Though this act has some awesome battles.

I'm also not in love with the whole Liquid is not Ocelot deal. Yes I get that it basically is like the Boss in MGS3. It just comes of as stupid and not well executed. I really would have loved that it was just Liquid. The final battle would have had more impact.

All in all I like MGS4 and I really like its gameplay. I just would have loved more of it. Its like they didn't want to add any filler but in the end cut out the meat of the game. The game is one of the best crafted games out there. Its filled with so much personality, witch is honestly not something I can say about a lot out games out there. The graphics and art are amazing. The sound is beyond what anyone should expect from gaming. The cutscenes are filled with so much little things that they are worth watching. Also they have that MGS style that not game could copy. All in all its an amazing game. A contender for GoTY.

My ranking of the main MGS games(including Twin Snakes and Portable Ops)

1.Metal Gear Solid 3
2.Metal Gear Solid 2
3.Metal Gear solid 1
4.Metal Gear Solid 4
5.Metal Gear Solid TTS
6.Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops.
[/spoiler]

Awntawn

Wonder when the new integral podcast is gonna be coming out? Or maybe KojiPro podcasts in the future will all be on integral? ;O

Cartman86

Banned
Guled said:
Ryan said that the next MG might
go back to big boss and his time with the patriots, which I would like to see more then Raiden (but any would be fine)

I would be ok with this, but I think for me I would prefer something that the new head of the main series could really go to town with. Would there be too many restrictions with prequels? I mean MGS3 I think proved that a prequel can be awesome, but that game was set many many years before Metal Gear 1, and Kojima was head of it. I don't want a half-assed MG (Portable Ops) is what i'm saying. Do something that is going to not just fill in the blanks, but give us a good amount of surprises along the way. Or just start new with different characters. Don't make a PSP game to fill in the gaps.

Nizz

Farnack said:
YEAH! I shoulda been more clearer ;) I was watching the credits roll
and I saw the voice credit for Big Boss and I thought, "hey, did I miss an Easter Egg or something?" Then the scene happened!
But I love the game, and I will play through it again :D

Imagine a Metal Gear Raiden with Otacon and.... Snake as your behind the scenes codec team!!!!

I'd also like to see a future Raiden still youngish (because of the cybernetics) taking on a mission but losing his mind because Rose is dying of old age and he can't do shit about it. She won't commit to cybernetics and he wouldn't want her to go through what he had in the past anyway. Also... after decades of a somewhat peaceful environment world-wide, Sunny has created a new metal gear.

h3ro

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Imagine a Metal Gear Raiden with Otacon and.... Snake as your behind the scenes codec team!!!!

I'd also like to see a future Raiden still youngish (because of the cybernetics) taking on a mission but losing his mind because Rose is dying of old age and he can't do shit about it. She won't commit to cybernetics and he wouldn't want her to go through what he had in the past anyway. Also... after decades of a somewhat peaceful environment world-wide, Sunny has created a new metal gear.

Fixed it for ya... fix you first spoiler tag and remove the extra "s" at the end...

Rahxephon91 said:
spoilers spoilers and more spoilers.

Spoiler that ish... just because you finished it doesn't mean you can spoil it for others... some here don't want to know about the gameplay mechanics, boss fights, etc...

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Big Boss made snake promise to live the rest of his life without fighting. Wouldn't getting involved, even via codec, be considered fighting?

Cartman86

Banned
140.85 said:
Big Boss made snake promise to live the rest of his life without fighting. Wouldn't getting involved, even via codec, be considered fighting?

plus he has six months. I would hope that Snake is done. Don't bring him back please!!! They already faked his death in MGS4 don't do it again.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Cartman86 said:
plus he has six months. I would hope that Snake is done. Don't bring him back please!!! They already faked his death in MGS4 don't do it again.

More MGS4 spoilers:

I really hope they don't bring Snake back in the next game. I've already cried pretty badly on the few times I thought he wasn't going to make it. I couldn't bear seeing him actually pass away. :lol

Don't call me a wuss though, he just reminds me so much of my old dog, not giving up and all that. Especially the bit where Snake is crawling in the microwave area.. Christ that killed me

Barakov

kozmo7 said:
More MGS4 spoilers:

I really hope they don't bring Snake back in the next game. I've already cried pretty badly on the few times I thought he wasn't going to make it. I couldn't bear seeing him actually pass away. :lol

Don't call me a wuss though, he just reminds me so much of my old dog, not giving up and all that. Especially the bit where Snake is crawling in the microwave area.. Christ that killed me

If the next game takes place after MGS4 chronologically, I think they have to mention him in some way shape or form.

Tenbatsu

Cartman86 said:
Initially, I thought that faking Snake death was pretty lame and I labelled Snake as a coward that cant bring to pull the trigger to end his own life after all the courageous stuff that he had done. But after thinking bout it, he is going to die sooner or later made me think otherwise. Guess Kojima just dont want Snake to end his life this way, he wanted Snake to have some sort of a happy ending.

Just finished it yesterday. I've been avoiding this thread for spoiler reasons, but here are my thoughts:

The gameplay is pretty good, better than most MGS games, except for the tailing mission. That was WAY too long and frustrating. Also the beginning to Act 5 was a bitch.

My main takeaway is that KOJIMA NEEDS AN EDITOR FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. The game had about 50 endings. My impression is that Kojima and co. sat around thinking of dying words and final lines and cool things to put in, and then skipped the part where they pick the best one. "Oh, let's just do them all!"

Big Boss has about a dozen parting words, Naomi gets to keep coming back and leaving parting words, etc. The pacing overall was pretty bad, but ESPECIALLY in the ending cutscenes. Basically all of the impact was completely lost after the last of the gameplay was over. Fake death here, another fake death from the past over there, parting words, overdramatic music, crappy Otacon acting ("Naaoooooommiiii.... sob sob sob sob"), awkward animation in posing (Mei Ling during the wedding sequences).... Raiden kept bouncing back and forth between being "I'm cool now!" to "Wah... I'm the most emo kid of all."

I still really enjoyed playing the game but I found the ending supremely unsatisfying.

I think overall MGS1 (and Twin Snakes) are still my favorite MGS games, with this one coming in second.

The funniest part in the game for me was killing
the resistance
. I killed an ungodly amount of them. The funniest thing about it though, was when I killed one unintentionally:

My general method for getting through this part was to put the resistance guy to sleep, kill everyone in the area, and then let him wake up and walk through. However, there's a part where the resistance guy I was tracking crossed through the canal. He was walking through it when the searchlight or some other enemies spotted him. I decided to put the guy to sleep... Otacon chimes in: "THE RESISTANCE!!"

I realized the guy drowned because I put him to sleep while he was in water. AWESOME.

timetokill said:
The funniest part in the game for me was killing
the resistance
. I killed an ungodly amount of them. The funniest thing about it though, was when I killed one unintentionally:

My general method for getting through this part was to put the resistance guy to sleep, kill everyone in the area, and then let him wake up and walk through. However, there's a part where the resistance guy I was tracking crossed through the canal. He was walking through it when the searchlight or some other enemies spotted him. I decided to put the guy to sleep... Otacon chimes in: "THE RESISTANCE!!"

I realized the guy drowned because I put him to sleep while he was in water. AWESOME.

Classy. :lol Pretty much reminds me of killing a boss in another game (Not Metal Gear) by accidentally goading him into climbing the stairs with a wheelchair. :lol

kyo27

This was definitely the least satisfying MGS game I've played. After the incredible story in MGS3, I had high hopes for 4, but it definitely didn't deliver.

Started me third playthrough on Big Boss Hard or whatever. Not The Boss Extreme. But I got spotted a ton in Act 1. I've never been a great stealther, but now it's apparent that I'm more of the soldier play style.

Struct09

Tenbatsu said:
Initially, I thought that faking Snake death was pretty lame and I labelled Snake as a coward that cant bring to pull the trigger to end his own life after all the courageous stuff that he had done. But after thinking bout it, he is going to die sooner or later made me think otherwise. Guess Kojima just dont want Snake to end his life this way, he wanted Snake to have some sort of a happy ending.

Does anyone ever really die in this series anyway? What would prevent Solid Snake from moving his dying self into another body? They seemed to be able to recover Big Boss just fine :p Not saying it will happen, but honestly it wouldn't be too shocking.

Anyway, I would love to see more back story on Big Boss. But only if he's voiced by David Hayter.

Sidzed2

I keep having this vision of a Metal Gear Solid 5, where I'm playing as a young 'The Joy', sneaking through a World War II battlefield, and travelling around the world with a Cobra Unit... helping the Allies push up through the beach landing at Normandy...

...falling in love with a fellow named The Sorrow...

...many years later meeting a young soldier named Nake Snake...

*DROOL*

Sorry, where was I?

Farnack

Banned
Sidzed2 said:
I keep having this vision of a Metal Gear Solid 5, where I'm playing as a young 'The Joy', sneaking through a World War II battlefield, and travelling around the world with a Cobra Unit... helping the Allies push up through the beach landing at Normandy...

...falling in love with a fellow named The Sorrow...

...many years later meeting a young soldier named Nake Snake...

*DROOL*

Sorry, where was I?
Being able to play as The Boss would ruin her character since she was meant to be viewed in a 3rd perspective as a dominant character over Naked Snake.

It was the same for Solid Snake in MGS2, but I don't think anyone caught on to that. Solid Snake is a bit different. I think The Boss should remain unplayable.

LJ11

I've been reading some posts over at MGS.org, and noticed a few posters (including our own Ether_Snake; currently banned) discussing MGS3. Some of them believe MGS3 was intended to be a VR mission for Solid Snake. It's an interesting theory, anyone have similar thoughts?

Here's Ether Snake's thread. Interesting read if you ignore his comments on Payton.

1stStrike

Banned
some of you guys should just write metal gear fan fictions, since you're all imagining crazy shit that kojima will never do.

@LJ11: I think they're crazy

@Everyone else: NeoGAF vs NeoGAF Foxunit tournie in MGO on saturday. Once we get enough interest and get the clans solidified:NeoGAF, NeoGAF:Foxunit, NeoGAF:Frogunit, NeoGAF:Beeunit (euro clan) we're thinking of holding a team tournie with some prizes going to the top 3 teams/players.

Things such as metal gear wall scrolls/posters, electronics (mics, PS3 goodies, etc.)

I'll probably be sponsering at least $100 in prizes myself unless someone else wants to chip in. It'll be a fun, competitive tournament for gaffers to take part in. It's still a little bit off, but I'll be collaborating with peeps in the MGO thread to get the ball rolling.

LJ11

1stStrike said:
some of you guys should just write metal gear fan fictions, since you're all imagining crazy shit that kojima will never do.

@LJ11: I think they're crazy.

:lol

I think we're all a bit crazy, some more than others.

Darkpen

Banned
LJ11 said:
I've been reading some posts over at MGS.org, and noticed a few posters (including our own Ether_Snake; currently banned) discussing MGS3. Some of them believe MGS3 was intended to be a VR mission for Solid Snake. It's an interesting theory, anyone have similar thoughts?

Here's Ether Snake's thread. Interesting read if you ignore his comments on Payton.
He's one of our best MGS posters, and he's banned? Jeez.

But yeah, I had that thought too. When you have the codec call with Otacon about why Snake can use CQC (after the mansion fight), they talk about how Big Boss's exploits were spread across the globe, and he was herald as a hero.

People started to use CQC, and Otacon asked if that was the reason why Snake himself started again. Snake says that when other people use CQC, its a cookiecutter form that, when used against him, he just reacts naturally because he'd learned from Big Boss.

This "release" of information by the Patriots, regarding Big Boss's exploits, gives the impression that its referring to MGS3. As to whether or not Snake actually plays this VR mission, however, I don't know.

I haven't read the entirety of his thread yet, but I read a bit around where he starts to mention Ryan. Aside from the bashing, he has an interesting point, a point that I agree with, which is that the game feels like it could've been different. Its almost as if MGS2 was "purely Kojima," while MGS4 was "Kojima and friends." I don't even know what to think of 3.

Every single part of the story canon that led up to
Big Boss's reveal
felt superfluous. Hell, even the MGS Database is full of confusion; it can't decide whether or not Liquid took over Ocelot, or if Ocelot was faking it the whole time.

Vagrant

LJ11 said:

Reading into things too much, IMO. The Time Paradox thing probably didn't have anything to do with MGS4. Honestly if you follow that logic you could make a case the MGS1 we played was a VR mission if you go by some of the jokes made in MGS2.

The alternate ending Kojima wanted ended with Snake and Otacon going to jail. "The skin and bones" for a certain group probably referred to the modeling of the BB unit based on real people. The whole "blame Ryan Payton" crowd is pathetic. If they didn't like MGS4 they should blame Kojima. He admitted he made it up as he went. Trying to tie everything together artificially is what led to the story being a mess, not Ryan Payton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom