• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirokazu

DancingCactus77 said:
Just watched the first chapter of the making of Blu-ray. Did any one see the part where they re-recorded the lines of Sunny?
They re-recorded the lines of Sunny for the ending in the Japanese version. I don't remember exactly what she says but that in the American ending Sunny isn't in the last conversation at all.
It was meant to leave open to the player's imagination who
might be with them at the end.
I don't think the dialog they ended up using works properly in the English version.
"Come quick, the eggs are ready!" does raise any sense of ambiguity of who else might be there, they might as well have left it as "Snake, Otacon, the eggs are ready!" The Japanese dialog is "Everyone, the eggs are ready!" which unlike the English, introduces the ambiguous word "everyone" to the player.

Just got 4 more emblems and my
stealth item and infinity bandana.
I think I'm going to mess around on my next playthrough with these, before attempting to tackle the Big Boss emblem. :D

Darkpen

Banned
Steroyd said:
:lol :lol :lol Raging Raven.

OMFG a fully charged Rail Gun shot to the head knocks off 95% health, and I started the fight with a tiny bit of her health down, does the damage I do in the car chase part accumulate into the boss battle... is it possible to kill her before we get to that boss battle!? o_O
nah. when I did my TBE run, I shot her with the rail gun as she was flying around the tower, and bam, 100% health down :lol

I'm not sure, but I think it does exponentially more damage if you shoot her from behind or something. I don't remember what I did that first time, but damn.

I don't think attacking her during the rail scene affects her at all.

ToyMachine228 said:
Going to start my third play through today. Probably not going for a specific title. I got Eagle last time through. Will probably even stick to Solid Normal difficulty. We'll see.

You should really try The Boss Extreme. I'm not going for any specific medals, but playing through the game on extreme is a lot more fun than solid normal. The AI's are more aware of their surroundings and it really makes sneaking a lot more satisfying.

BlockBastard said:
You should really try The Boss Extreme. I'm not going for any specific medals, but playing through the game on extreme is a lot more fun than solid normal. The AI's are more aware of their surroundings and it really makes sneaking a lot more satisfying.

I suck at sneaking to begin with. I always end up killing everyone. I kill them stealth-style, with silenced shots, or CQC, or something, without alerting, but I almost always kill my enemies. Always have in MG games.

Danielsan

ToyMachine228 said:
I suck at sneaking to begin with. I always end up killing everyone. I kill them stealth-style, with silenced shots, or CQC, or something, without alerting, but I almost always kill my enemies. Always have in MG games.
Well if you kill them with out alerting it's still sneaking isn't it?

Kuroyume

Banned
I'm at the Crying Wolf fight... If I get an alert screen during this boss fight will that count as an alert at the end of the act?
The frogs are annoying.
Also,
where is "The Best is Yet To Come" located?
Does it appear after the fight or am I supposed to look for it during the fight?

Steroyd

Kuroyume said:
I'm at the Crying Wolf fight... If I get an alert screen during this boss fight will that count as an alert at the end of the act?
The frogs are annoying.
Also,
where is "The Best is Yet To Come" located?
Does it appear after the fight or am I supposed to look for it during the fight?

ALL ALERTS COUNT!!!

And what TBIYTC? an Ipod tune?

Oh fuck it I've got about 2:30 hours on the clock anyway I'm way ahead of my "1 hour an Act" target by a mile.

wotter

So I'm doing the no kills/no alerts run and I have a question:

If you're spotted/killed at the beginning of act 4 (MGS1), does that count as an alert/kill?

wotter said:
So I'm doing the no kills/no alerts run and I have a question:

If you're spotted/killed at the beginning of act 4 (MGS1), does that count as an alert/kill?
No, I tried this with separate save files and it is not an alert (haven't tried dying).

Cartman86 said:
Got them all a couple minutes ago as well. I'm just worried now that when Trophies come out they will make us do it all over again!!!

This is why I'm not playing again (even tho i really really want to) until trophies come out. I got the strategy guide after beating it and now I can't to have platinum status in mgs

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Almost finished the game so just only now daring to come into this thread :). I have definitely never played a game that's this over the top. I have a little bit of a hard time staying with the story emotionally... just goes in too many directions for my personal taste.

Definitely the best looking game out there. It's incredible what this game does at times. Very, very impressive.

The
playing as REX
sequence was absolutely amazing. I wanted to play more of that!

I am going to give MGO a go, see if that gets me hooked! I am sure it will :). Hopefully I'll see some of you guys online.

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
Really mild Act 3 spoilers

What does Drebin say in the post-Raging Raven codec? I only got to the part where he reveals she was picked apart by ravens? I accidentally hit start halfway through the codec and I was intrigued by Drebin's story about Laughing Octopus...

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Nino said:
Really mild Act 3 spoilers

What does Drebin say in the post-Raging Raven codec? I only got to the part where he reveals she was picked apart by ravens? I accidentally hit start halfway through the codec and I was intrigued by Drebin's story about Laughing Octopus...

There's actually a game script up on GameFAQs but I wouldn't dare go near it if you haven't beaten the game before yet. I copied and pasted the part you missed from it in its entirety and sent it to you in a PM.

Didn't want to post it here as it's rather long and I didn't want some poor soul accidentally highlighting it. :lol

Act 3 takes on a totally different dynamic when you play on the hardest difficulty. The resistance guy went in a totally different route and I had to actually be stealthy from the PMCs and I'm trying to follow him. It goes from boring to fucking tense.

In a related story, I finally decided to take on MGS3:S on European Extreme. That entire game takes on a new dynamic when I can never get caught ever. That game has been breathed new life.

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
kozmo7 said:
There's actually a game script up on GameFAQs but I wouldn't dare go near it if you haven't beaten the game before yet. I copied and pasted the part you missed from it in its entirety and sent it to you in a PM.

Didn't want to post it here as it's rather long and I didn't want some poor soul accidentally highlighting it. :lol
That's awesome, thanks a lot!

Darkpen

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:
Act 3 takes on a totally different dynamic when you play on the hardest difficulty. The resistance guy went in a totally different route and I had to actually be stealthy from the PMCs and I'm trying to follow him. It goes from boring to fucking tense.
During my Big Boss Hard playthrough, I started to mess around, and found that he will actually take a different path than the one that he's set to follow on default. If you take an alternate path, like, to the side of somewhere, there's a chance that he'll actually follow you, which leads you down into parts and areas of the Act 3 city that you would have never explored otherwise. On my TBE Big Boss run, I played it safe and followed the path he naturally takes, and that took far less time than the one where I got to explore more of the city.

And while we're on the subject, I'd like to note that when the resistance member changes outfits into a PMC trooper, he can get run over and killed by the patrolling car. Its entirely possible. Normally, they stop and wait for him to cross, but I saw him get hit by a car and die, with Otacon saying "the resistance member..." in a sorrowful way.

Playing this game over and over, I'm noticing a few small glitches, but nothing gamebreaking, as well as spelling errors.

Like, in the credits, they spell it "Reserch and Development." In one of the codec calls early on in the game with Otacon, he says "ninja," which is the proper plural for ninja, but in the written text, it says "ninjas."

KZObsessed

My Japanese Limited Edition came today, it's damn sexay, the best of the 3 imo. I've decided to skip the US one because the packaging is pretty meh.

The JP LE goes nicely with my UK LE :D

I think that will be it for my MGS4 purchases... unless I can find that MGS4 tin that some people got from the Kojima tour... hmm

*goes to eBay*

Steroyd

Just got to finish Act 4 with "that" fight then Act 5 should be nice and smooth until crying mantis the last thorn in the game. :D

LevityNYC

Banned
Question.

Has anyone timed the actual total cut scene lengths? I beat the game the first time in 19 hours and I am wondering what the total cut scene time was. It should be the same for everyone assuming you didnt FFwd the codecs or skip the cinema scenes.

Thanks

A very nice MGS4 article that is geared more towards videophiles and non-gamers here: http://bluray.highdefdigest.com

I thought it was a an interesting read as it helps hype a game towards a crowd that may have purchased a PS3 just for blu-ray.

(Please forgive the lazy link. I'm on a PS3 and writing down the entire exact address to the article and then typing it would be asking too much of me right now lol *Zzzzz)

KTallguy

Banned
FFObsessed said:
My Japanese Limited Edition came today, it's damn sexay, the best of the 3 imo. I've decided to skip the US one because the packaging is pretty meh.

The JP LE goes nicely with my UK LE :D

I think that will be it for my MGS4 purchases... unless I can find that MGS4 tin that some people got from the Kojima tour... hmm

*goes to eBay*

Yea, JP LE is probably the prettiest one for me.
I love the boxart and the b-ray case.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
A very nice MGS4 article that is geared more towards videophiles and non-gamers here: http://bluray.highdefdigest.com

I thought it was a an interesting read as it helps hype a game towards a crowd that may have purchased a PS3 just for blu-ray.

(Please forgive the lazy link. I'm on a PS3 and writing down the entire exact address to the article and then typing it would be asking too much of me right now lol *Zzzzz)

Quoting myself because of this contradiction:

Here's a great quote from that article (which I had to write down and now type out :D)

"...for those gamers that have been with the series since Metal Gear Solid, in some cases, as far back as the 1987's Metal Gear, the game's story is one of the few that actually warrants the dictionary definition usage of the word 'epic'."

Farnack

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:

In a related story, I finally decided to take on MGS3:S on European Extreme. That entire game takes on a new dynamic when I can never get caught ever. That game has been breathed new life.

Darkpen said:
During my Big Boss Hard playthrough, I started to mess around, and found that he will actually take a different path than the one that he's set to follow on default. If you take an alternate path, like, to the side of somewhere, there's a chance that he'll actually follow you, which leads you down into parts and areas of the Act 3 city that you would have never explored otherwise. On my TBE Big Boss run, I played it safe and followed the path he naturally takes, and that took far less time than the one where I got to explore more of the city.

And while we're on the subject, I'd like to note that when the resistance member changes outfits into a PMC trooper, he can get run over and killed by the patrolling car. Its entirely possible. Normally, they stop and wait for him to cross, but I saw him get hit by a car and die, with Otacon saying "the resistance member..." in a sorrowful way.

Playing this game over and over, I'm noticing a few small glitches, but nothing gamebreaking, as well as spelling errors.

Like, in the credits, they spell it "Reserch and Development." In one of the codec calls early on in the game with Otacon, he says "ninja," which is the proper plural for ninja, but in the written text, it says "ninjas."
Yeah I thought it was pretty cool he took a different route, but it's actually attributed to the fact if you took out the enemies ahead of time.

He went the same way as I expected him to in my TBE playthrough. He was going to take different routes, but I restarted and tried to get him on the same route as I had been getting him on during Liquid Easy playthroughs.

My first playthrough on Big Boss hard, he had went through other places because I didn't take out enemies ahead of time. It was much harder and more intense indeed.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Quoting myself because of this contradiction:

Here's a great quote from that article (which I had to write down and now type out :D)

"...for those gamers that have been with the series since Metal Gear Solid, in some cases, as far back as the 1987's Metal Gear, the game's story is one of the few that actually warrants the dictionary definition usage of the word 'epic'."

Damn between that and the High Times review hopefully it will convince a lot of non gamers to check it out.

Farnack

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Damn between that and the High Times review hopefully it will convince a lot of non gamers to check it out.
I'd like to know if the MGS4 Theatrical trailer really did release in movie theaters...

The trouble would be that they'd have to play the previous games to truly appreciate it.

Farnack said:
I'd like to know if the MGS4 Theatrical trailer really did release in movie theaters...

The trouble would be that they'd have to play the previous games to truly appreciate it.

Man I would love to have seen that in a theater.

Nizz

Finished the game last night :D
I'm glad Snake didn't off himself and decided to live out what's left of his life. Although ending with Snake actually shooting himself would have felt (to me at least) more of an ultimate sacrifice for the greater good. I saw those credits rolling and though I was bummed thinking Snake had offed himself, it had a deeper impact on me. Of course, all of a sudden I saw "Debriefing" and then the cemetery with Snake and Big Boss, and I cracked a smile ;)
Overall I enjoyed the hell out of this game. Matter of fact, I think I'll play through it again this weekend :D

Farnack

Banned
fps fanatic said:
I'm glad Snake didn't off himself and decided to live out what's left of his life. Although ending with Snake actually shooting himself would have felt (to me at least) more of an ultimate sacrifice for the greater good. I saw those credits rolling and though I was bummed thinking Snake had offed himself, it had a deeper impact on me. Of course, all of a sudden I saw "Debriefing" and then the cemetery with Snake and Big Boss, and I cracked a smile ;)
Overall I enjoyed the hell out of this game. Matter of fact, I think I'll play through it again this weekend :D
You didn't get mind blown when you saw
Big Boss' voice actor in the credits and think "Whoa... wait a minute... Big Boss said something? WHAT THE FFFFFFFFFF".

fps fanatic said:

lol i thought im the only person who
actually wanted him to off his self. i wanted to see brain fragments dammit.

as soon as trophy support comes out to mgs 4, im replaying all the games over again

Farnack said:
Big Boss' voice actor in the credits and think "Whoa... wait a minute... Big Boss said something? WHAT THE FFFFFFFFFF".

That would have made me crap my pants. Too bad I got spoiled weeks before by that god damned picture of those reviewers playing the game and BIG BOSS was right there on the monitor. If I ever complete my Time Machine, I'm going back to that moment and logging off Neogaf

Actually, after I thought Snake had killed himself, I was waiting for a post-credits scene in heaven or something. I knew I was going to see Big Boss, somehow

Farnack said:

OH MAN!
That was so brilliantly done...while the credits were rolling I was like seriously there ending
with Sunny and
Otacon staring into the sunset
...wait
BIG BOSS
....OH SHIT DID I MISS A CODEC OR CUT SCENE!?..Wait
who is???...is that?....
OH SHITTTTTTTTT!!!!

h3ro

SOLAR GUN
How do I get it? What are these
statues
everyone is talking about? I don't know what I'm looking for... :(

It would make my The Boss Extreme run so much cooler/
easier :p

Farnack

Banned
h3ro said:
SOLAR GUN
statues

Look around during Beauty mode. You have to defeat the beasts with tranqs or they won't show up.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
h3ro said:
SOLAR GUN
statues

you need all of the statues (there are 5 total. 4 beauties, 1 frog). kill all beasts and the frogs in the Act 1 shootout (the one with Meryl & crew) with non-lethal shots (use the mosin-nagant or the mk2). After you kill the beast form, look around the level for a small statue. they show up on the plane near the TV during the Mission Briefings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom