• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I just completed the game for the 6th time (yeah I'm crazy) and the emotional impact this game has on me hasn't toned down one bit. Actually, the more "free" I am from the need of understanding the story, the more I appreciate and get moved by the emotional layer of the whole. No game nor movie nor book spur so many different emotions in me. I'm afraid the bar was set so high with MGS4 I'm not going to enjoy games on an emotional level this much till I die. Or the next MG, of course.

Steroyd

Awntawn said:
From how you described it, "
Am I supposed to laugh at SIXAXIS not having rumble?
", I can only assume you were playing without a DS3? With a DS3, the line is:
RUMBLE IS BAAAAACKK!!!
or something along those lines, was fairly amusing at least imo ;p

Seriously!? :lol

I'm stuck on
MGS3 Ocelot MGS 1&2 are piss easy but MGS3 ocelot keeps headbutting me to death.
:(

glaurung

1stStrike said:
Open the item screen with the solid eye equipped.....and press square.

But that's just an enhanced NV mode which brings out bodies more clearly...

So the game does not have a separate thermal imaging.

zoukka said:
Have you tried tranquing them?

Yep I did. Still, most of the fights are ok, but nothing special.

Octopussys :)b) camo games were neat but everything else was lame. What the fuck were those mini-missiles? And that roll attack :lol

To be honest, this roll attack caused me a lot of problems. Maybe I just suck. But I really liked this fight. Awesome atmosphere too.

EDIT: I gotta add that I got irritated more about 'em for their appearance (generic robots with supermodels in 'em) and their meaninglessness than the gameplay which was pretty standard MGS action. With interesting premise they could have been better.

I actually love the premise and their design. Awesome work by Shinkawa like always. And unlike the laughable Cobra Unit they had a backstory. Sure, it was not as fleshed out as it could've been, but it was good enough for me. Better than nothing at least.

TTP said:
I just completed the game for the 6th time (yeah I'm crazy) and the emotional impact this game has on me hasn't toned down one bit. Actually, the more "free" I am from the need of understanding the story, the more I appreciate and get moved by the emotional layer of the whole. No game nor movie nor book spur so many different emotions in me. I'm afraid the bar was set so high with MGS4 I'm not going to enjoy games on an emotional level this much till I die. Or the next MG, of course.

I completely get you, I'm doing my 4th playthrough and I still love watching the lenghty cinematics and briefings, controlling the MkII and watching the faces of characters really shows the depth they went in animating their expressions. I'm serious in love with the game!

Just had it delivered, my flatmate told me (she signed for it). I haven't even got a PS3 but I got the game for £27, so I'm round to my Bro-in-laws with his 1080p 40" for my "passive experience" this weekend

zoukka

Better than nothing at least.

And here's where I disagree. Cobra unit was this old relic from old wars (NES times baby!) and they were designed to look that way. Fitted in the bond-esque atmosphere too. And much like Snake getting obsolete in the new age this was true to Cobras but with even heavier impact. Their death was the initiation for Naked Snake. And I'm not even sure if they fought with everything they had...

B&B felt like a knee to my groin after Cobras... I really expected them to be deformed and "scarred by war" but they were just loosely tied to some stupid emotions due to those overly cruel "backstories".
I wasn't even sure if they died after I beat 'em?? Guess those faces were trademarks that could not be harmed :/

And if you see B&B as "good" shinkawa design then our tastes are the opposite polarities.

Darkpen

Banned
glaurung said:
But that's just an enhanced NV mode which brings out bodies more clearly...

So the game does not have a separate thermal imaging.
ENVG = thing-that-makes-the-game-easier.

I doubt that items that you can pick up and ladders would realistically glow.

SamuraiX- said:
LOL! Nice. :lol

You must have been yelling pretty damn loud. :D

But for me, what really made me stand up and yell "WHAT?!?!?!" was...

Para-Medic and Dr. Clark being the same person.

That was a huge WTF moment for me for some strange reason. lol
Well, when the MGS novel came out a few days before MGS4's release, we learned that Dr. Clark was a female, so it softened the blow a little.

Darkpen

Banned
Slurmer said:
So does anyone think Kojima may have some lingering hard-feelings about having one of his original endings scrapped by the staff??

Kojima from a 2007 Gamespot article: "One of my ideas [for MGS4's ending] was that, since Snake and Otacon are breaking the law in order to fulfill their justice, I was thinking of having them turn themselves in, and for the sake of justice, they'd get convicted and executed by the law," he explained. "But all of my staff went against the idea"

I was looking up some stuff on "Here's To You", the song that plays over the end credits. Turns out, the song was written for Ferdinando Sacco and Bartolomeo Vanzetti. Now, check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacco_and_Vanzetti

Definitely think that is too strong of a connection to be a coincidence. They had plenty of time to sub in a different song, and I find it very peculiar that they didn't, given the song's history.
OH

"Here's to you" was composed by Ennio Morricone. Jeez, and here I was thinking the old guy had composed a brand new song for the game or something.

What a freaking let down.

Steroyd

Zedsdeadbaby said:
looooooooooooool

I just saw that Big Boss's cigar does the 3RROD on the end just before he dies

eh!? o_O :lol

Big boss title achieved, now I can gun down those millions of PMC's I wasn't allowed to kill before. :mad:

dmshaposv

Zedsdeadbaby said:
looooooooooooool

I just saw that Big Boss's cigar does the 3RROD on the end just before he dies

Pics or it didn't happen.

Seriously if true, then Kojima sony lapdog confirmed confirmed. :lol

glaurung

BTW, is it true that
there is a hidden MGS shrine in the sewer during the third act where you can play the original Metal Gear on a makeshift TV?

Darkpen

Banned
glaurung said:
BTW, is it true that
there is a hidden MGS shrine in the sewer during the third act where you can play the original Metal Gear on a makeshift TV?
D:

I'm not sure... I didn't bother exploring the sewers enough during my BBH playthrough.

That'd be pretty freaking cool if there was.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Darkpen said:
D:

I'm not sure... I didn't bother exploring the sewers enough during my BBH playthrough.

That'd be pretty freaking cool if there was.

I think it's BS. Official guide doesn't mention it and I explored that act in and out.

So I've just finished Act Two and my initial impressions have been validated, both for and against. I'll post the negatives later when I give them more thought.

Good

- The cut-scenes are phenomenal, the parts involving
Laughing Octopus
at the end blew me away. Incredible fidelity and attention to detail.

- In general most of Act Two (particularly the beginning) is a much better environment to highlight the subtleties of stealth. Having to use the Solid Eye to track movement makes the mechanic much more rewarding.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I finished MGS4 a while ago but i never posted my impressions after finishing it, so I'll do it now. Its nothing detailed, just a few good points and bad points.

The good:

The gameplay in the first two acts is some of the best MGS gameplay ever.

Octocamo was a brilliant addition. So too were all the other tools you had for sneaking around (such as the solid eye, mk II)

Just about all the plot holes had been covered and the story has been tied together.

Some of the cutscenes were just brilliant.

The is the best looking game I've played.

Gun customisation was a good feature

The bad:

Act 3

Not enough gameplay. The game should have been longer and there should have been more
warzone
gameplay bits.

The boss battles didnt live upto the MGS3 boss battles.

Gekko's were not as difficult to fight as I was hoping they would be. They looked so agile in the trailers, but not so agile in the actual game. All you had to do was equip the Javelin and blow the gekko up. Its too easy. I wouldnt have minded it if that was all you had to do kill them, but only if they could defend themselves or atleast dodge the incoming missles. They werent as dangerous as they looked

At times it was too easy because you had so many guns to choose from. No M4 bullets? Thats no problem, you could just switch to the Mk-17, or you could use any of the other assault rifles, or you could just buy more M4 bullets. What they should have done is significantly lower the number of guns and make it harder to find ammo and more expensive to buy it. That would have made things more challenging.

Although the gun customisation was good, each gun could have been customised in the same way. There should have been more variety

Meryl and Johnny getting married was so fucking stupid

The B&B's stories and the way they died made me cringe, but not as much as the point above.

The boss fights are a lot simpler compared to Snake Eater, but those were agonizing and annoying boss fights anyway. The End and The Fear were especially tiresome (especially if you didn't have the thermal goggles in time for Fear). The BB Corps just seem a lot simpler/easier because of the control system. Snake Eater was only hard because its controls sucked arse.

zoukka

Zedsdeadbaby said:
The boss fights are a lot simpler compared to Snake Eater, but those were agonizing and annoying boss fights anyway. The End and The Fear were especially tiresome (especially if you didn't have the thermal goggles in time for Fear). The BB Corps just seem a lot simpler/easier because of the control system. Snake Eater was only hard because its controls sucked arse.

You're lack of skillz amuses us :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Zedsdeadbaby said:
Yeah, I think most of the MGS3 fights would have become cake with the new control scheme. The End would have remained every bit as awesome with the new controls, however.

I would love to replay Snake Eater with all of the improved mechanics of MGS4.

zoukka said:
You're lack of skillz amuses us :lol

Eh? I beat Snake Eater on European Extreme mode several times over. 'You're' enthusiasm amuses me. If you really did enjoy the boss fights in Snake Eater and had no problems with the control scheme then good for you - but you're in the minority here.

crowphoenix said:
This was probably the only moment in the plot that annoyed me. It was a very "Wait. What? Seriously?" moment.
What, none of you saw it coming? Johny isnt going to suddenly become a regular character just so he can remain comic relief for the entire duration of the game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
zoukka said:
Have you tried tranquing them? Or even fighting em on higher difficulties?? Even the worst SE boss Pain is better than the best B&B bitches. You really have to use everything you got in those fights wherein the B&B corp posed no threat for me in hard.
Simply not true. Tactics and techniques against bosses were largely the same between the games. In fact, this time Octopus, Vamp and Mantis provided some new tricks that you needed to figure out, most of which I found very amusing. There are lots of neat trickery and easter eggs associated with these bosses, you are probably just not aware of that yet, just as you weren't aware of
DS3 / Siaxis thing during Psycho Mantis' appearance

Is there a way of unlocking the April Fools day version of the Assassins Creed costume? Remember the video they released? The costume in the game is different to that
(even the one you find in the underground tunnel in Act 1)

KennyLinder said:
Is there a way of unlocking the April Fools day version of the Assassins Creed costume? Remember the video they released? The costume in the game is different to that

Yeah - 50CQC grabs and 50 Knife kills while maintaining under 25 alerts I believe. Just grab them and slit their throats, that counts as both CQC and knife kill. Using the stealth camo makes this very very very easy.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
KennyLinder said:
It is available if you finish the game with the "Assassin" emblem, and will also be available by entering secret code in the Extras screen. Codes will be released by Konami at a later date.

Steroyd

Zedsdeadbaby said:
Yeah - 50CQC grabs and 50 Knife kills while maintaining under 25 alerts I believe. Just grab them and slit their throats, that counts as both CQC and knife kill. Using the stealth camo makes this very very very easy.

uh oh... O_O

It is available if you finish the game with the "Assassin" emblem, and will also be available by entering secret code in the Extras screen. Codes will be released by Konami at a later date.

I saw a couple of codes on Gamefaqs, didn't bother to see what they were.

Darkpen

Banned
Zedsdeadbaby said:
20 alerts

Hey guys,
2 quick questions.

Does blowing up any of the tanks in act 1 on extreme Big Boss count as kills or against
me in any way?

I cant advance past the "NOW LOADING" screen at the end of act 1. Tried rebooting and it
still wont go past it. Anyone have any ideas?

Ploid 3.0

BruceLeeRoy said:
Hey guys,
2 quick questions.

Does blowing up any of the tanks in act 1 on extreme Big Boss count as kills or against
me in any way?

I cant advance past the "NOW LOADING" screen at the end of act 1. Tried rebooting and it

No, only if the projectile you used didnt cause a nearby soldier to die also. I'm on a TB extreme run and I blew up the first tank before the underground so they would like me and let me pass speedly. I finished the act with 0 kills. Well I did aim at the turret on the top of the tank (black tank, not the tank with the dude at the turret. The drebin kind that the solders ran out of in a quick cutscene).

SRG01

BruceLeeRoy said:
Hey guys,
2 quick questions.

me in any way?

Vehicles don't count as kills.

As for your second question, delete the game data and reinstall.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I personally liked the meryl and johnny marriage, mainly because I liked seeing meryl's guns in all their glory. She has some great arms and bod, HOT!

SRG01 said:
Maybe it's the save file too? Revert back to a previous save?

Its the first save you can do in Act 1 right after the Title for MGS4 comes up.

Ill try re installing it again and then just playing up to that part and see what happens.

Thanks for the help though I appreciate it.

DCharlie said:
finished. woooo.

Congrats man. Its quite the roller coaster ride isn't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom