• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Congrats man. Its quite the roller coaster ride isn't it.

i need time to absorb it and to process what i think fully.

I enjoyed the game overall, but it's heavy on the front loaded side for me.

I thought Act 1 and Act 2 were GotY material, but from Act 3 onwards, it becomes just "Great" and not the complete awesomenesss that is the opening two acts, but still had moments of brilliance.

It's a very good game overall, but it didn't live up to the promise of the first two acts IMO. Glad i played through though - will try the harder level for act 1 and 2 for sure though.

h3ro

Marconelly said:
Simply not true. Tactics and techniques against bosses were largely the same between the games. In fact, this time Octopus, Vamp and Mantis provided some new tricks that you needed to figure out, most of which I found very amusing. There are lots of neat trickery and easter eggs associated with these bosses, you are probably just not aware of that yet, just as you weren't aware of
DS3 / Siaxis thing during Psycho Mantis' appearance

VIBRATION IS BACK!!!!!

Holy shit, what a day :lol

Got home not too long ago, gonna catch up with my buddy MGS4.

Got the new Edge mag aswell, and got a wonderful shock. There's a page where they have the fans at the Kojima signing and i'm, in it :lol

UKer here: What needs to be downloaded?

Database.. what about the extras?

Drakken

So I'm early into Act 4 now. The major cutscene (ACT 3 AND ACT 4 SPOILERS FOLLOW)
where Liquid messes up Snake (the knife and the electricity, man...), appears to be cornered, and then shows just how much control he now has has got to be the greatest (and certainly most powerful) cutscene I've ever seen. Seeing the utter devastation he caused, finding out he now has Big Boss' body, and then watching Eva go after BB's remains after Liquid throws them into the fire was enough to make me actually tear up. And I'm not a huge MGS fan or someone who deeply cares about the characters or anything. I think that's the first time that's happened to me while playing a video game.

When did Liquid get the power to run electricity through his body like Volgin? Or was he using a weapon and I just missed it?

Anyway, going from that to playing the beginning of the original MGS was amazing. Then back in the present, when I got to the Helipad and "The Best is Yet to Come" is playing while I'm going through what's basically a remake of MGS1, and then getting to return to all the locations inside the building...man, so awesome. I enjoyed it through the first couple acts but didn't think it was anything really special yet. Acts 3 and 4 have kicked it up a notch, though, and now I'm into it much more.

Ephemeris

Drakken said:
So I'm early into Act 4 now. The major cutscene (ACT 3 AND ACT 4 SPOILERS FOLLOW)
where Liquid messes up Snake (the knife and the electricity, man...), appears to be cornered, and then shows just how much control he now has has got to be the greatest (and certainly most powerful) cutscene I've ever seen. Seeing the utter devastation he caused, finding out he now has Big Boss' body, and then watching Eva go after BB's remains after Liquid throws them into the fire was enough to make me actually tear up. And I'm not a huge MGS fan or someone who deeply cares about the characters or anything. I think that's the first time that's happened to me while playing a video game.

When did Liquid get the power to run electricity through his body like Volgin? Or was he using a weapon and I just missed it?

Anyway, going from that to playing the beginning of the original MGS was amazing. Then back in the present, when I got to the Helipad and "The Best is Yet to Come" is playing while I'm going through what's basically a remake of MGS1. Man, so awesome.

He uses the Stun Knife.

Pimpwerx

Beat it a second time yesterday, on Easy. 20 emblems down (including Chicken), 20 more to go. I think I'm gonna try my TBE non-lethal run now. I think the Big Boss emblem should net me another 10 emblems. Then I'll try for Assassin after that.

Anyone know if I can get the big boss emblem without having the solar gun? I still haven't gotten it yet, and I don't want to have to dick around looking or statues if I don't have to. I was hoping I could get it during my TBE run since I have to tranq everything anyway. PEACE.

zoukka said:
B&B felt like a knee to my groin after Cobras... I really expected them to be deformed and "scarred by war" but they were just loosely tied to some stupid emotions due to those overly cruel "backstories".
I wasn't even sure if they died after I beat 'em?? Guess those faces were trademarks that could not be harmed :/
Actually
you can notice it best in the Screaming Mantis finish, but they die the same way as the Frogs, sort of turning to stone. For some reason Konami avoids doing anything to the face (your trademark allusion is a fair point) but you can see their suit skin turning into a rock texture when they fall over and huddle.

How do I go about beating Laughing Octopus through non lethal means?

Do I also have to take out the frogs through non lethal means? and with Octopus can I just use the rail gun on her until I take her down to the part where she's walking towards me and just use a tranq gun on her for the final shots?

maskrider

Zedsdeadbaby said:
looooooooooooool

I just saw that Big Boss's cigar does the 3RROD on the end just before he dies

I have that part just re-recorded and watched again.

Doesn't look like 3 R, more like 3.x R or just like normal cigar.

TheWolf

Banned
Ken Masters said:

Do I also have to take out the frogs through non lethal means? and with Octopus can I just use the rail gun on her until I take her down to the part where she's walking towards me and just use a tranq gun on her for the final shots?

use non-lethal shotgun rounds on the first form and tranq on the second. don't kill the frogs.

SRG01 said:
Maybe it's the save file too? Revert back to a previous save?

Hey man that worked!!
Thanks

Another question I started the game over on extreme and I dont have the
mantis dolls
or any
of the weapons or the camo I got. Do I have to get that stuff all over again?

Ploid 3.0

BruceLeeRoy said:
Hey man that worked!!
Thanks

Another question I started the game over on extreme and I dont have the
mantis dolls
or any
of the weapons or the camo I got. Do I have to get that stuff all over again?

You get it when you meet MKII

atomico

Ken Masters said:

frogs will count as kills as well, so you gotta use tranqs, sleeping gas mines, etc.
there's a few lockers around where you can stash their bodies, so they won't wake up, btw

Not sure about Octopus, really, haven't gotten that far yet.
it'd be a real time saver if you could use the rail gun for the first part, but I kinda doubt the game will allow it. You probably have to drain her stamina twice

atomico said:
frogs will count as kills as well, so you gotta use tranqs, sleeping gas mines, etc.
there's a few lockers around where you can stash their bodies, so they won't wake up, btw

Not sure about Octopus, really, haven't gotten that far yet.
it'd be a real time saver if you could use the rail gun for the first part, but I kinda doubt the game will allow it. You probably have to drain her stamina twice

the frogs may be a bitch, what if they wake up and I just ignore them and take out Octopus, will they just go away ?

Ken Masters said:
[spoilers] the frogs may be a bitch, what if they wake up and I just ignore them and take out Octopus, will they just go away ? [/spoiler]

If you st them in the head with a tranq before the fight, they will be around during the first half of the boss fight with Octopus. But they shouldnt wake up unless you take forever. They disappear when she gets out side the suit.

atomico

Ken Masters said:
the frogs may be a bitch, what if they wake up and I just ignore them and take out Octopus, will they just go away ?

I guess it should work. The entire area will probably clear after you
knock octopus out of her armor.

Still, if you're playing in higher difficulties, where you take shitloads of damage from bullets and the effect of the tranqs doesn't last as long, it's probably better to just hide the sleeping frogs and don't risk them waking up while you're fighting

we're going too far with the spoiler tags, I think :lol

-viper-

Banned
I got this game ages ago like 13th June but I was banned. I was SUPPOSED to be unbanned 6th June (I requested a ban until this date, but the admin banned me until 27th June.. WHAT THE FUCK?!)

Anyway... I think its brilliant. MGS4 has so much gameplay variety its fantastic. However, having a huge arsenal of weapons at your disposal with unlimited ammo (pretty much) does kinda make you a walking tank in the game. Control scheme is brilliant though.

I also didn't like the
Meryl and Johnny love/marriage scene...
. It was so fucking cheesy and I thought to my self... bleh.

I would say the boss fights aren't as good as the MGS3 ones either. The
REX v Ray
battle was simply awesome though, as well as the final boss fight with
Liquid Ocelot

I didn't find the cutscenes particularly long to be honest! I expected FAR longer cut-scenes for this game! Storyline has left my slightly confused though. So is Ocelot
really a good guy then, just like Big Boss
? I liked the plot twist
in which Snake is alive
. I felt
really sad when I thought Snake was dead! Not like Otacon, but it felt like a tear or two was on the verge of coming out of my eye.. heheheh

Overall, I'd like to say its a fantastic game and probably the best game I've played this generation. The graphics are good but not in all acts! I thought Act 2 looked like MGS3:HD. Act 1, end of Act 3, Act 4 and Act 5 looked awesome though. The fact this game has some serious replay value is also another reason why I love this game.

I managed to complete the game on Solid Normal in 27 hours on my first play through (I literally explored almost every corner of the game), with 454 kills (yeah.. a lot. I mainly blame Act 1, 2 and 5 for this. Not that I was going rambo style... more like attempting to shoot with the silencer on my weapons.) Got the title 'Eagle'.

Darkpen

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
If you st them in the head with a tranq before the fight, they will be around during the first half of the boss fight with Octopus. But they shouldnt wake up unless you take forever. They disappear when she gets out side the suit.
on my TBE run, they disappeared entirely.

In act 2 during the Rebel/PMC battle next to that electrical tower you can clime, the first time I played the game I didn't wait until the battle was over so the next area was crawling with PMCs. Now that I was waiting around, I see that the rebels win and I was able to just breeze by the next area. I found that to be an interesting detail

Random comment but while listening to Coldplay's "Viva la Vida" (like I am right at this moment) it's been reminding me of MGS4, especially now that I've beaten the game, since a lot of the songs on the album just remind me of all of the characters in the game.

Whenever I hear 'Viva la Vida', I think of Snake thinking about his life...

Auron_Kale said:
Random comment but while listening to Coldplay's "Viva la Vida" (like I am right at this moment) it's been reminding me of MGS4, especially now that I've beaten the game, since a lot of the songs on the album just remind me of all of the characters in the game.

Whenever I hear 'Viva la Vida', I think of Snake thinking about his life...
The album reminds me of nothing but Brian Eno.

Question

I beat Octopus and got the face camo but I did not get the Statue, or at least I could not find it, also where is the Konami hand print surface?

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
2real4tv said:
The Rex vs Ray fight is awesome Iam noticing more detail now..my second time
Thanks for not spoilertagging that shit, asshole, I hope a mod takes notice.

Nino said:

damn I feel bad for you that got spoiled of you

you should have done what I did, steer clear of this thread and anything MGS related until you beat the game

atomico

if you mean the statue octocamo texture, I think you'll have to wait until act3. Get on one of the the monoliths and then register the texture, inside the camouflage menu.

the hand prints are in Act 2, during the part where you have to track naomi's footprints

atomico

Ken Masters said:
you should have done what I did, steer clear of this thread and anything MGS related until you beat the game

QFT

a few pages back, there's even a spoiler for act 3 that's actually an ending spoiler, intead :p

double post, dammit. I meant to edit, not reply to myself :lol

jett

D-Member
Ken Masters said:
damn I feel bad for you that got spoiled of you

I don't get the people that keep coming back to this thread without finishing the game first, either. You deserve to be spoiled.

Otheradam

jett said:
I don't get the people that keep coming back to this thread without finishing the game first, either. You deserve to be spoiled.

Yeah, coming in here before you beat the game is just asking for trouble anyway. All those black bars tempting to be highlighted!

And how long are we going to keep tagging spoilers? There needs to be a stipulation.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Otheradam said:
Yeah, coming in here before you beat the game is just asking for trouble anyway. All those black bars tempting to be highlighted!

And how long are we going to keep tagging spoilers? There needs to be a stipulation.

Shit I survived the temptation before I got the game, don't know why people don't have the willpower!

Pimpwerx

jett said:
This is NeoGAF, dude. The people who want you to spoiler-tag time-delayed shows ffs. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

Nino said:
That was shown in a couple of MGS4 trailers. Honestly, if you can't mention something from the trailer without feeling spoiled, then grow a pair. PEACE.

GodofWine

Otheradam said:

I was thinking this too...2 months tops I'd say...one month more likely is OK. I should beat it this weekend...finally...bought it day 1...

Darkpen

Banned
Ken Masters said:
Question

I beat Octopus and got the face camo but I did not get the Statue, or at least I could not find it, also where is the Konami hand print surface?
In order to get the action figure, you have to psyche kill them when they're in their beast form. The action figures are placed in the following locations:

Octopus: its on the bed
Raven: in the corner of the top floor/roof
Wolf: behind you
Mantis: where you entered from.

In order to get the Solar gun, you have to not kill any FROG soldiers during the palace fight, and only use stuff that knocks them out. The figure for that is right infront of you after the final cutscene w/ rat patrol.

the hand print surface is off to the side somewhere. Gamevideos.com has an MGS4 secrets video that shows where.

Pimpwerx

Ken Masters said:
Question

I'd like an answer to your first question too. I assume you have to non-lethal the frogs that precede each fight. That or I'm supposed to non-lethal the beast form too. I really don't know.

As for the second question,
in the mission where you have to follow the footprints, you'll come to one of the clearings where the prints split. You're supposed to go off the right b/c there are heavier prints than the others, but one of the tracks to the left will turn into handprints. I only followed it b/c it looked very unusual. The handprints stop at a metal plate in a small clearing, and I think the Konami prints are on it. I guess those 3-armed sentinel things were the cause of the prints. Pretty cool shit. :)

PEACE.

Darkpen

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
I'd like an answer to your first question too. I assume you have to non-lethal the frogs that precede each fight. That or I'm supposed to non-lethal the beast form too. I really don't know.
you don't have to non-lethal the FROGs, but you do have to for the palace fight in Act 1. Personally, though, I say non-lethal FROGs regardless.

Steroyd

LaughingBeauty.jpg

er... sorry about this pic but number 1. I have a SDTV and number 2. that's as fucking close as I'm getting to her. :lol

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Steroyd said:
er... sorry about this pic but number 1. I have a SDTV and number 2. that's as fucking close as I'm getting to her. :lol

You should check out the Solid Eye thread.

Darkpen

Banned
Steroyd said:
LaughingBeauty.jpg

lol at failure

zoom says hi, and also, she doesn't bite unless you get really freaking close.

Steroyd

h3ro said:
I'm gonna have to get this strategy guide... aren't I... damn Kojima and all these secrets...

Hell yeah! I keep finding new routes everytime I play through this game.

I kind of regret not getting closer to laughing Octopus now to get a close up shot (I overwirte my save of there :(, but eh, the place caught me off guard and I was freaked out with the timer and I wanted to get the fuck out. :lol

You should check out the Solid Eye thread.

Solid eye thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom