• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

burgerdog

Okay, so about that RROD in the ending... I just loaded a save and went through the ending. I have to be seeing shit, I swear the cigar has red lights and a FUCKING GREEN GLOW in the center. Honestly, I am not even sure. I would advise others to go over it and look at it themselves. I had my camera ready to take a shot but it's really brief and sat there in awe :lol

Man, just started Big Boss run, finished act 1 in 40mins.
Man, they should rename The Boss Extreme.. to The Boss Extreme Realism.

Seriously, the AI are freaking clever. THey can see me from miles away.

Farnack

Banned
dabookerman said:
Man, just started Big Boss run, finished act 1 in 40mins.
Man, they should rename The Boss Extreme.. to The Boss Extreme Realism.

Seriously, the AI are freaking clever. THey can see me from miles away.
It's like you have to do everything perfectly.

Which I had to do....

zoukka

Marconelly said:
Simply not true. Tactics and techniques against bosses were largely the same between the games. In fact, this time Octopus, Vamp and Mantis provided some new tricks that you needed to figure out, most of which I found very amusing. There are lots of neat trickery and easter eggs associated with these bosses, you are probably just not aware of that yet, just as you weren't aware of
DS3 / Siaxis thing during Psycho Mantis' appearance

Yeah wasn't "aware" of it because it was impossible :roll:

And tranquing Fear was very different from anything else out there. Using rotten food and such was fun. Volgin hated water and frogs, liked Raikov mask, The Fury was vulnerable to melee and so on...

And I think I don't have to speak about The End.
Crying Wolf
was nothing compared to him and the means you could defeat him.

But I guess that's just me. And as I said the they weren't horrible gameplay wise but the combination of both boring design and gameplay proved a bit too much for me.

The sequence where they walk towards you was supposed to make you feel sorry for em I think. Well I took my heaviest weapons available and sawed 'em half... bitches.

Just finished Act Three, what a mixed bag that is.

The game-play was terrible, completely removed from what had gone before it. However, the lengthy cut-scene set around the river was astonishing.

I really hope this Act is an exception...

Chiggs

Gold Member
Opus Angelorum said:

The game-play was terrible, completely removed from what had gone before it. However, the lengthy cut-scene set around the river was astonishing.

Act 5 is equally terrible, with a few notable exceptions. Also, the cut scene at the end of Act 3 wasn't real time. Still, it was well done.

DrBo42

Opus Angelorum said:

Failure. Definitely one of my favorite acts, unless you're going for a no-kill run.

Farnack

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:

Sneakings not your thing?

I felt the whole atmosphere, music, and gameplay was a classic Casablanca detective feel.
I played it with young snake's face and the detective suit on in Big Boss Hard first playthrough.
Taking on multiple paths is awesome.

Pure genious level design.

anyone see the Ray Burnholt Secrets guide on 1up. god that thing failed. i got banned from 1up boards for saying he had man tits. oh wel, past is past. thinking you have to walk around front for a pat down almost defeats the purpose of doing it, just pressing triangle will whip the guy around. they also didnt have all the face camos.

i thought i saw a
a real big boss, the old man eye patch one
somewhere, but how do you get it.

Farnack

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
I thought the whole environment was sterile, lacked tension and in general felt disembodied from prior events. The chase sequence was laughable.
Your opinion that everything should be a warfest from 10 FPS shooters combined in one level.

Sneaking isn't for you.

The chase scene was awesome. No other game has a chase scene as awesome.

Except maybe MGS3.

Farnack

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
You couldn't be more wrong.
And you said you want act 3 to be more like act 1 and 2.

Changing elements in a game is great game design. If you don't like act 3 because it was different, then you hate great game design.

Ploid 3.0

Steroyd said:
Hell yeah! I keep finding new routes everytime I play through this game.

I kind of regret not getting closer to laughing Octopus now to get a close up shot (I overwirte my save of there :(, but eh, the place caught me off guard and I was freaked out with the timer and I wanted to get the fuck out. :lol

Solid eye thread?

Metal Gear. (lol sorry, I had to)

Red Blaster said:

It seems the majority of people thought it was a highlight.

I understand the need to offer a change of pace, but this felt completely devoid of context and lacked both the subtlety and finesse of everything that went before it.

Farnack said:
If you don't like Act Three because it was different, then you hate great game design.

See above. I dislike the implementation, not the intention.

Farnack

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:

I understand the need to offer a change of pace, but this felt completely devoid of context and lacked both the subtlety and finesse of everything that went before it.

Seeing above. Reasoning in circles.

~clap~

Farnack

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
Clearly we will never agree, shall we move on.
More like move out of this thread if you're not going to provide clear and concise reasoning.

All you do is use heavy words that don't even make a point.

Solo

Farnack said:
The chase scene was awesome. No other game has a chase scene as awesome.

Except maybe MGS3.

MGS3's (which you did mention, so I'll give you credit for that) is 10x more awesome.

Big Boss + Young Eva + Shagohod + runway >>> Old ass Snake + Old ass Eva + weird flying thingies + European streets

Im pretty down on MGS3 on the whole, but its respective chase scene is easily the best part of that game, and easily better than MGS4's.

Farnack

Banned
Solo said:
MGS3's (which you did mention, so I'll give you credit for that) is 10x more awesome.

Big Boss + Young Eva + Shagohod + runway >>> Old ass Snake + Old ass Eva + weird flying thingies + European streets

Im pretty down on MGS3 on the whole, but its respective chase scene is easily the best part of that game, and easily better than MGS4's.
Yeah the story really couldn't have a
Metal Gear on your tail at that point.

That's why MGS3's chase scene was a bit more epic, but as a chase scene, it's top notch.

Better action sequence than action movies and looks even better if you opts auto-aiming instead of Third Person or first person shooting.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
did anyone say mgs4 had any hint of subtlety? was I asleep at this point?

anyway, I'm currently playing the opening of act 5. and it's pretty fucking awesome/hard. (big boss hard btw, first play through).
My tactic is sticking to the left side until I cross completely, but I get spotted at the very end by some random ass I can't eye. and I can't find a PSS(or whatever that gun's called) along this route....

Should I toss it up, going right/center?

patsu

Opus Angelorum said:

Seriously, that scene blew a few of my fuses. I actually feel sorry for you for not liking it.

Opus Angelorum said:
I thought the whole environment was sterile, lacked tension and in general felt disembodied from prior events. The chase sequence was laughable.
oO

No wonder you were expecting the "Opus" hate... seems like you're chasing after it...

Farnack

Banned
Brobzoid said:
did anyone say mgs4 had any hint of subtlety? was I asleep at this point?

anyway, I'm currently playing the opening of act 5. and it's pretty fucking awesome/hard. (big boss hard btw, first play through).
My tactic is sticking to the left side until I cross completely, but I get spotted at the very end by some random ass I can't eye. and I can't find a PSS(or whatever that gun's called) along this route....

I believe that gun is up top.

Take the ladder that you see straight ahead and go up. You'll see another set of ladders, take either one and climb across it. You'll see the PSS on a lonely platform.

Cartman86

Banned
zoukka said:
Ok I missed the launch completely so here's my ramblings about the game in a nutshell.
I didn't like the mission briefings either and they had too much pointless yapping in them. The character of Sunny didn't really open to me. The games structure with acts also had a same kind of effect for me as Metroid Prime 3, with it's shattered world. You really didn't connect to the locations because they changed so fast. And I sure did miss my codec moments :(

This stood out to me as something I usually find annoying. Splitting up areas with briefings and making things "missions" always gets to me. Splinter Cell for example. Can't stand that style, and on the surface for me MGS4 seemed similar, but in the end it didn't bother me at all. Was curious if others found it disjointed as I thought I would. Guess here is my answer.

Brobzoid said:
anyway, I'm currently playing the opening of act 5. and it's pretty fucking awesome/hard. . . .

It's definitely possible to make it this way. But you have to be careful about
FROGs observing you from up on the superstructure, and pairs of them jumping down straight on top of you. If your aim is good, you can headshot the random patrols as they land, but they'll probably scare crap out of you a couple times.
The real problematic issue is going to be at the end; it's very difficult to
open the bulkhead fast enough to not be spotted.

Brobzoid

Farnack said:
I believe that gun is up top.

Take the ladder that you see straight ahead and go up. You'll see another set of ladders, take either one and climb across it. You'll see the PSS on a lonely platform.

There was one on the left route as well.
on the ventilation ducts
. does it hold any use over the operator?

Brobzoid

Liabe Brave said:
It's definitely possible to make it this way. But you have to be careful about
FROGs observing you from up on the superstructure, and pairs of them jumping down straight on top of you. If your aim is good, you can headshot the random patrols as they land, but they'll probably scare crap out of you a couple times.
The real problematic issue is going to be at the end; it's very difficult to
open the bulkhead fast enough to not be spotted.

see, the frogs are mostly easy. But there seems to be one patrol I don't know about or can find... because I make it to the door but I get spotted and before I can eye the troop that saw me the place is swarming with every soldier ever. how many gekkos are there? I only killed one.

MercuryLS

Banned
jett said:
WHUT?

The chase scene in MGS4 is totally balls-out awesome, the only saving grace of that worthless act.

Pretty much, also the cutscenes towards the end of that act were great too.

The only major issue I have with MGS4 is the loading during the epic setpiece battles, it totally kills the flow :/

Brobzoid said:
see, the frogs are mostly easy. But there seems to be one patrol I don't know about or can find... because I make it to the door but I get spotted and before I can eye the troop that saw me the place is swarming with every soldier ever. how many gekkos are there? I only killed one.
I would definitely suggest
looking up. There are individual FROGs on the superstructure towers and walkways, and you may have left one behind you. There are two gekkos, but before you get to the end one of them is hit by a shell from the Missouri.
Less work for Snake!

Also, the PSS is stealthier than the Operator. There's no need for a suppressor so its noise doesn't increase over time, and it's quieter to start with. It is quite low-power, but if you're being careful you're likely lining up headshots anyhow.

Slurmer

Banned
Brobzoid said:

this is what I did in Act 5 for my BBE run
quickly run to the center section, and roll/hold X so you lay down. throw a stun grenade into the group of FROGS and you should knock all of them out. Go left, down, then left again and lay down again near the corner. A FROG should drop, so tranq her in the head. Crawl over and you will see another FROG to tranq, then another will come to check her out, so tranq her as well.

Shimmy between the pillar and the box and stick to the left. Head north until the FROGS drop and tranq them. Creep forward to the final pillar and look up and to the right. You should see a FROG up on the roof in a sniping position. Tranq her in the head. Then just make sure the Gekko aren't looking and you should be in the clear.

I've done this section a lot now, and it only takes me about 2 minutes on average.

Cartman86

Banned
Am I the only one who doesn't give a shit that I don't play the crazy action sequences? 1up Yours I think set me off, but the concept of wanting to play The Raiden stuff etc just doesn't interest me. Do people that have never really played MGS care about this? Are we fans just used to it?

by the way has Garnett played MGS1,2,3 all the way through? I mean playing any of the MGS's halfway through I don't think gives one a great sense of the story. Especially MGS3.

Feel like i'm defending it, but yeah...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom