• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
There's some things I just don't get (that I'm sure I'll get in subsequent playthroughs or looking through the database) but one thing I want clarified now, if possible, is the explanation of...

Why the syringes that Liquid Ocelot and Snake kept on using to "heal" themselves actually healed them? What did they do? I thought they just suppressed nanomachines, not actually heal your wounds...What did I miss?

Also, when Snake is rescued by armless Raiden, why does his psyche and health suddenly go back up - before the rescue, Snake couldn't protect himself against the FROGS because his health and psyche drained to the very bottom of his meter?

I usually can go without explanations if the game leaves it up to the imagination, but I just wanted to know if there were any *technical* explanations for these questions.

Thanks.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Solo said:
MGS3's (which you did mention, so I'll give you credit for that) is 10x more awesome.

Big Boss + Young Eva + Shagohod + runway >>> Old ass Snake + Old ass Eva + weird flying thingies + European streets

Im pretty down on MGS3 on the whole, but its respective chase scene is easily the best part of that game, and easily better than MGS4's.

I have to totally agree.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
shri, re: your second point.

the game was up , Snake was done and surrounded, his final mission was failed. He didn't have the energy to fight, so his psyche was way down. But then Raiden turns up to save the day, suddenly things aren't all over, suddenly the mission is back on - all he has to do is get through and he can complete the mission. Psyche goes way back up. The mission is still possible.

His psyche might have went up when he saw everyone had dumped their guns for knives too! ;)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Who says games aren't works of art?

mgs4picC4.jpg

maskrider

Slurmer said:
By the way: here are the RRoD pics from the ending. Not the best quality, but still pretty visible.
*MASSIVE SPOILER IN LINKS*

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/Slurmer/dsc02017jz9.jpg?t=1214613906
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/Slurmer/dsc02018yk2.jpg?t=1214613938

I don't quite see some intentional stuffs in that part, may be a bit look alike

720p direct feed of that part (~10MB, < 8 sec, spoiler for sure)
http://download.yousendit.com/D3FB31071DE7E32E

Euphor!a

Banned
Anyone else having troubles doing Screaming Mantis on Extreme? I'm going for the BB Emblem and this seems to be my only problem(Aside from Wolf, but that was more because the fight took me about 45 minutes) it seems I just get torn to shreds in under a minute, anyone have any tips?

Darkpen

Banned
maskrider said:
I don't quite see some intentional stuffs in that part, may be a bit look alike

720p direct feed of that part (~10MB, < 8 sec, spoiler for sure)
http://download.yousendit.com/D3FB31071DE7E32E
oh yeah, you have capture equipment, don't you? Would you mind capturing the wallpapers for all of the emblems? Especially Big Boss and Altair in particular. (You can view them by holding L1 while viewing any particular emblem)

edit: lol, oh wow, it really does look like the 360's light circle thing.

Shrennin

DCharlie said:
shri, re: your second point.

the game was up , Snake was done and surrounded, his final mission was failed. He didn't have the energy to fight, so his psyche was way down. But then Raiden turns up to save the day, suddenly things aren't all over, suddenly the mission is back on - all he has to do is get through and he can complete the mission. Psyche goes way back up. The mission is still possible.

His psyche might have went up when he saw everyone had dumped their guns for knives too! ;)

That's what I kind of thought myself, you just put it in words that made it sound more believable - I guess when his psyche goes up, he starts feeling better and his health goes up also.

Now if only the magical syringes can be explained! ;)

Shrennin

The spoilers below contain END GAME spoilers:

fistfulofmetal said:
They suppress the nanomachines in his body that are acting up due to when Ocelot did the stuff in the Middle East then again in South America.

I knew the syringe suppressed the nanos, I just wasn't sure why it seemingly healed both Ocelot and Snake as they were fighting. They were using it on each other to "heal" each other to extend the fight - and it didn't "heal" Snake when he tried to use it before Raiden showed up to save him, why did it work now during the fight with Ocelot?

Also, did Ocelot hypnotize and trick himself into being Liquid through nanomachines? I distinctly remember Big Boss talking about how nanomachines couldn't achieve turning someone into another person, or maybe I just got the quote wrong.

Steroyd

Euphor!a said:
Anyone else having troubles doing Screaming Mantis on Extreme? I'm going for the BB Emblem and this seems to be my only problem(Aside from Wolf, but that was more because the fight took me about 45 minutes) it seems I just get torn to shreds in under a minute, anyone have any tips?

At the start,
after fixing you and meryl
run upto the outer edge and hide behind a solid wall to restore health to full, after your first attack keep running around in circles.

maskrider

Darkpen said:
oh yeah, you have capture equipment, don't you? Would you mind capturing the wallpapers for all of the emblems? Especially Big Boss and Altair in particular. (You can view them by holding L1 while viewing any particular emblem)

edit: lol, oh wow, it really does look like the 360's light circle thing.

SRG01

Shrinnan said:

I knew the syringe suppressed the nanos, I just wasn't sure why it seemingly healed both Ocelot and Snake as they were fighting. They were using it on each other to "heal" each other to extend the fight - and it didn't "heal" Snake when he tried to use it before Raiden showed up to save him, why did it work now during the fight with Ocelot?

Foxdie was killing Ocelot, so that's why he used the syringe. At least, I think so.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Shrinnan said:

Also, did Ocelot hypnotize and trick himself into being Liquid through nanomachines? I distinctly remember Big Boss talking about how nanomachines couldn't achieve turning someone into another person, or maybe I just got the quote wrong.

I figured there were different types of chemical makeups in the syringes. The syringe used for most of the game suppresses the nanomachines to keep them from acting up, so why couldn't there be a syringe that strengthens them? I'd figure that whoever invented those syringes would come up with both at around the same time. Also, Snake wouldn't have needed to know about the strengthening syringe because of the detrimental flareups the nanomachines caused, and Naomi wouldn't want that flareup to become stronger.

SRG01

Farnack said:
Yeah the story really couldn't have a
Metal Gear on your tail at that point.

That's why MGS3's chase scene was a bit more epic, but as a chase scene, it's top notch.

Better action sequence than action movies and looks even better if you opts auto-aiming instead of Third Person or first person shooting.

It was also better because it wasn't enclosed in the previous areas. The whole thing was one continuous chase except for like... one part.

Shrennin

SRG01 said:
Foxdie was killing Ocelot, so that's why he used the syringe. At least, I think so.

I think he was using the syringe for three different POSSIBLE reasons - if the syringe was the type to suppress nanos, it could help bring him back to being Ocelot instead of being Liquid (hence the changes during the last fight with Ocelot being the last phase you fight - along with Snake, Ocelot was getting beaten up pretty badly so he used the syringe to help him out (like Snake did, again) - Foxdie, as you said, was killing Ocelot so maybe the syringe could help suppress that until the fight ended.

Those are my guesses.

The Crimson Kid said:
I figured there were different types of chemical makeups in the syringes. The syringe used for most of the game suppresses the nanomachines to keep them from acting up, so why couldn't there be a syringe that strengthens them? I'd figure that whoever invented those syringes would come up with both at around the same time. Also, Snake wouldn't have needed to know about the strengthening syringe because of the detrimental flareups the nanomachines caused, and Naomi wouldn't want that flareup to become stronger.

I was thinking that too but the game never specifically states a fluid like that was invented. I guess it could be up to your imagination (and it's not that big of a stretch), but it looked like the same type of syringe that suppressed nanos (though looks really has nothing to do with it but it was never stated which lead one to believe the syringes were all one type).

Maybe the database brings this into more light? I haven't read all of it yet. Not even close, actually.

Sometimes I can be overcritical of details like that so maybe stuff like that was intended to be left for your imagination and maybe I can just leave it at that without having to have an explanation.

1stStrike

Banned
Just beat MGS4 for the 4th time..waiting to see how many badges I still need to get. I still got a little teary at the end. Damn you, otacon and
big boss

Ploid 3.0

1stStrike said:
Just beat MGS4 for the 4th time..waiting to see how many badges I still need to get. I still got a little teary at the end. Damn you, otacon and
big boss

My first play through of mgs4 was a totally insane mind trip. It was like I looked in pandora's box or something like a forbidden knowledge that would leave me unable to speak when I got to the
eva
part. And certain scenes still floor me in this game. Pretty much any of them with action in them. I can't wait to finish this Big Boss emblem run to go through the game slow again.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
There's still one thing I dont understand about the story?

If Sigint/DARPA Chief was one of The Patriots, then why the hell did he help build REX?

Farnack

Banned
psycho_snake said:
There's still one thing I dont understand about the story?

If Sigint/DARPA Chief was one of The Patriots, then why the hell did he help build REX?
They build Rays to protect the AI, so maybe REX was built for some kind of nuclear deterrence.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Farnack said:
They build Rays to protect the AI, so maybe REX was built for some kind of nuclear deterrence.
REX was being built for solidus though. Why would sigint build it for him when The Patriots didnt want it to happen?

My assumption is that Sigint didnt know it was built for solidus, but you would think that a huge company like DAPRA would know who they're working for, especially when it comes to the development of a nuclear weapon

Shrinnan said:

they didnt, only his mentality not the physical being, spirit, etc...
btw I stated this as vaguely as possible because IM on my PS3 and cant spoiler yhis very easily.
MODS please spoiler this for me if its too specific.

Shrinnan said:

they didnt, only his mentality not the physical being, spirit, etc...
btw I stated this as vaguely as possible because IM on my PS3 and cant spoiler yhis very easily.
MODS please spoiler this for me if its too specific.

zoukka

Farnack said:
More like move out of this thread if you're not going to provide clear and concise reasoning.

All you do is use heavy words that don't even make a point.

When Act 3 started and I first saw young snake camo, I almost cried my eyes out. One of the best scenes in the game where Snake just pushes PMC:s around with that cool jacket and everything. I was even more impressed when I was given the opportunity to control him in that enviroment.

But in the end it was a disappointment because tailing the dude was so freaking easy and that stupid river part where I got discovered like ten times because I didn't want to use camo and solid eye... fuck that river. Ended up doing it full camo and tranquing every fucking PMC in town.

Also it really was a super sterile enviroment. Great atmosphere there, but the execution wasn't that good. Probably the part in the game I don't want to play again when I return sneaking....

But I liked the chase. Even though scripted sequences aren't too interesting, it was still fun to shoot around and see vehicles fly past you. Too bad for those wanting no kills in their runs :lol

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
psycho_snake said:
REX was being built for solidus though. Why would sigint build it for him when The Patriots didnt want it to happen?

My assumption is that Sigint didnt know it was built for solidus, but you would think that a huge company like DAPRA would know who they're working for, especially when it comes to the development of a nuclear weapon

Solidus was working under the Patriots at the time of the Shadow Moses incident.

Danielsan

Just had my first cool game of MGO. I think team deathmatch is when it works best. I found a nice sniping (camping) spot and was ranking up my headshot count. :D

Ploid 3.0

Danielsan said:
Just had my first cool game of MGO. I think team deathmatch is when it works best. I found a nice sniping (camping) spot and was ranking up my headshot count. :D

lol darn snipers.

Playing as snake on a full room is darn hard. Everyone is watching everyone's back. If you get someone and try to recover the dog tag you expose yourself most of the time.

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
Pimpwerx said:
That was shown in a couple of MGS4 trailers. Honestly, if you can't mention something from the trailer without feeling spoiled, then grow a pair. PEACE.
This is why I don't watch trailers for games I'm gonna buy anyway.
jett said:
I don't get the people that keep coming back to this thread without finishing the game first, either. You deserve to be spoiled.
Read the OP. Then read your post. Then read the OP again. I'm reading this thread mainly for some general gameplay tips and for easter eggs, if it's too much of a hassle to spoiler tag major plot point then maybe you should just stop posting.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Cartman86 said:
Am I the only one who doesn't give a shit that I don't play the crazy action sequences? 1up Yours I think set me off, but the concept of wanting to play The Raiden stuff etc just doesn't interest me. Do people that have never really played MGS care about this? Are we fans just used to it?
I don't know, I'm playing an action game, watching is generally not want I want to be doing during those sequences.

But then, I'm a film guy and MGS newb, and I generally disliked all of the cutscenes no matter what was happening. How many goddamn times do I have to watch bad guys swarm around the protagonists and wait to deliver the killing blow? You know, to wait for someone else to bust in and save the day (
like every appearance of Raiden
)?
Seriously, after the Mantis fight, the soldiers charging Meryl could only kill at point blank range? You've got fucking rifles, get the job over with!
Stupid stuff like
Raiden pausing at the end of the tunnel out of Shadow Moses compound for no fucking reason
annoyed the hell out me.
Yeah, let's stop under a building that's about to be destroyed by the suicidal gekkos you just escaped from instead of going a few extra paces to safety. All because someone thought it'd be cool if he fought without arms in a later cutscene.
I have so many problems with the direction of so many of the cutscenes. Kojima sure loves borderline-creepily lingering shots on female anatomy...

Anywho, beat the game tonight. The gameplay's pretty sweet and I love the art design, but I don't think I'll watch the cutscenes ever again. I'll start up another run through right away though.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Pick up a grenade launcher and shoot up in the sky. You'll see the explosion first and then the sound half a sec after it.

Edit: Just realized you can change the height of the MK-II camera by just tilting the controller 90° up or down (rather than using the dpad).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Finally finished the game (just haven't had the time so I set aside some yesterday). I played all the way through Act 5. Pretty good overall, but damn, those were some LONG cutscenes. Still pretty good stuff.

I was surprised by the gameplay in Act 5 as I actually really enjoyed what little there is. The first area was challenging, but I managed to sneak all the way through it without being seen. There were a ton of routes you could mess with as well. Very cool area. If only the area had more places like that. They simply needed more gameplay.

Just finished my 4th playthrough and I feel like playing it again...it's just so awesome.

Saw a lot of ghosts on Shadow Moses using the camera and The Sorrow doll. Too bad they don't stay in the pictures when you saved them as a JPG

I also finished reading the entire MGS4 Database, that thing is really complete, I love the faces drawings in the relationship table, wish I could capture it!

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
TTP said:
Pick up a grenade launcher and shoot up in the sky. You'll see the explosion first and then the sound half a sec after it.

Edit: Just realized you can change the height of the MK-II camera by just tilting the controller 90° up or down (rather than using the dpad).

I've been having a hard time finding sixaxis stuff in this game. I know of the rose boob shake and... that's it. Are there any other things?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom