• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
dark10x said:
Finally finished the game (just haven't had the time so I set aside some yesterday). I played all the way through Act 5. Pretty good overall, but damn, those were some LONG cutscenes. Still pretty good stuff.

I was surprised by the gameplay in Act 5 as I actually really enjoyed what little there is. The first area was challenging, but I managed to sneak all the way through it without being seen. There were a ton of routes you could mess with as well. Very cool area. If only the area had more places like that. They simply needed more gameplay.

That I have to try to do, I really cannot avoid being spotted by the FROGS.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Panajev2001a said:
Solidus was working under the Patriots at the time of the Shadow Moses incident.
Yeah I know, he was the president at the time. However, the patriots didnt know about metal gear rex until it was made public.

I read through the MGS2 script and I found out that solidus didnt develop metal gear rex. He just sent ocelot to obtain the REX data.
Sigint/donald anderson was the one that built REX.
In MGS2, Johnson talks about it and he said:

President Johnson said:
At the time, the DARPA Chief, Donald Anderson, together with certain influential parties, initiated the development of Metal Gear REX and an advanced nuclear warhead. However, this did not fall in line with the Patriots' plans

Sigint built metal gear REX against The Patriots wishes, but if he was still on their side, then why did he do it?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Brobzoid said:
I've been having a hard time finding sixaxis stuff in this game. I know of the rose boob shake and... that's it. Are there any other things?

- Rose tits-shake *
- OctoCamo reset (both in-game and during cutscenes) *
- MK-II camera height
-
Screaming Mantis dolls

* The proper way to shake the controller is to twist it around its vertical axis (not the Z one as u might think). Basically steer it like a truck wheel.

Pretty useless stuff but there u go. I wonder what was Kojima referring to in the 15mins demo video when he said "there are point in the game where you ha to do this" (or something along that) relative to the OctoCamo reset thing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Panajev2001a said:
That I have to try to do, I really cannot avoid being spotted by the FROGS.
Really? How did you manage the final door in the area? When I tried running and gunning, they would destroy me while trying to open the door.

What I ended up doing was....

From the start, go full camo (face included) and equip your tranq pistol. Move to the right and walk down the center of the room. To the left and right will be ladders. Take either one up and wait until the 4 FROGS move down the hallway. Climb up either one of the next ladders and move along the pipe. You can then drop down to the mid point ledge and from there roll over the railing and land on the floor. To the right will be a FROG or two. Wait for them to move forward and then sneak to the opposite (left) hallway. I ran down this hallway to the last nook on the right. Go prone and the camo index will be 99%. From here, I busted out the MKIII in cloak mode. There will be three FROGS to the upper left area. Wait for the first to walk past and getting ready to take out the second using the MKIII.

Then, get up, and run down this hallway and immediately dart left and follow the wall. There will be a thin area that you need to wall slide through. After this, go prone and crawl up next to the cylinder in front of you. Move slowly until two FROGS appear (they drop down). You should be at 99% camo again. Using either the MKIII or your tranq pistol, you need to take out the distant FROG first and then go around and take out the one that moves to the right. Now, carefully make your way to the back wall (watch out for Gekko). The door will be nearby, but there is a Gekko in the way. Either distract him with something (like a mag) or just sneak by. After you get past him, you should be able to sneak right up to that airlock door and go in undetected.

It took me several tries to figure out the best path (there are so many), but that worked beautifully for me and was a lot of fun. It was actually one of my favorite stealth segments in the game and I would have killed for more of it. As a run and gun segment, however, it would probably be a lot shorter and much less fun due to the high number of FROGS.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
dark10x said:
Really? How did you manage the final door in the area? When I tried running and gunning, they would destroy me while trying to open the door.

Killed some of them between the buildings before the open area with the Gekko's and before too many of them spawned I equipped the Rail gun, rushed to the area leading to the airlock door, bought quite a bit of bullets, and took the two Gekko's down quickly and then I started working on the door... got interrupted but I rail-gunned the FROGS which were too close to me and the first Gekko which re-spawned... then before more Gekko's and FROGS arrived I was able to Triangle tap me my way in while sustaining some damage (Ration equipped).

The trick is to maintain good aiming.

MGS4, even for those who do not exactly go for Big Boss rank like me (I did not choose the easiest difficulty setting, but the one above it which for you might still be disappointingly easy), manages to give you the right amount of difficulty and frustration when you attempt to clear an area or defeat a boss the wrong way... the fights with Vamp and Mantis are a clear example of this.

1stStrike

Banned
Danielsan said:
Just had my first cool game of MGO. I think team deathmatch is when it works best. I found a nice sniping (camping) spot and was ranking up my headshot count. :D

Pro tip: Get a mic. It makes it oh so much easier to coordinate with people. There's nothing worse than not being able to say, "Hey, there's a guy behind you. Go left and I'll take him out" and watching the guy just run along and get owned.

psycho_snake

dark10x said:

From the start, go full camo (face included) and equip your tranq pistol. Move to the right and walk down the center of the room. To the left and right will be ladders. Take either one up and wait until the 4 FROGS move down the hallway. Climb up either one of the next ladders and move along the pipe. You can then drop down to the mid point ledge and from there roll over the railing and land on the floor. To the right will be a FROG or two. Wait for them to move forward and then sneak to the opposite (left) hallway. I ran down this hallway to the last nook on the right. Go prone and the camo index will be 99%. From here, I busted out the MKIII in cloak mode. There will be three FROGS to the upper left area. Wait for the first to walk past and getting ready to take out the second using the MKIII.

Then, get up, and run down this hallway and immediately dart left and follow the wall. There will be a thin area that you need to wall slide through. After this, go prone and crawl up next to the cylinder in front of you. Move slowly until two FROGS appear (they drop down). You should be at 99% camo again. Using either the MKIII or your tranq pistol, you need to take out the distant FROG first and then go around and take out the one that moves to the right. Now, carefully make your way to the back wall (watch out for Gekko). The door will be nearby, but there is a Gekko in the way. Either distract him with something (like a mag) or just sneak by. After you get past him, you should be able to sneak right up to that airlock door and go in undetected.

It took me several tries to figure out the best path (there are so many), but that worked beautifully for me and was a lot of fun. It was actually one of my favorite stealth segments in the game and I would have killed for more of it. As a run and gun segment, however, it would probably be a lot shorter and much less fun due to the high number of FROGS.
I did that bit of act 5 by just going all out and shooting anyone in my way, but I reckon it'll be a lot more fun doing it your way and not getting spotted. Its definately a lot more challenging.

sonicmj1

Farnack said:
Your opinion that everything should be a warfest from 10 FPS shooters combined in one level.

Sneaking isn't for you.

That wasn't the problem. I loved the 'noir' feel I was getting from it at the beginning. It just went on for a half-hour, even though it was the same sort of thing the whole time. It's not even really difficult.

Also, I don't get why people liked the last cutscene in that act so much.
It also went on too damn long. They spend five minutes surrounding a boat, and showing every single soldier in the entire army showing up, and then they spend five more minutes killing them all off. And EVA's death felt hokey, especially after she walks into a fire for no reason.

The Ocelot hand motion stuff is a cool idea, but they lingered on stuff too long. I guess I just really don't like Kojima's style for editing action sequences.

JB1981

dark10x said:

I blasted my way thru that area with the rail gun - took out like 4 gekkos and rushed to the door and opened it while taking enemy fire (they missed me)

Solid Normal difficulty.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, it seems like most people just blasted through that segment in Act 5. I dunno, due to the layout, it seemed that it was designed for all sorts of crazy options. That area is surprisingly vertical with lots of upper areas to explore and items to find. I suppose it was pretty well designed in that it allowed all different types of play.

I also completed it on Solid Normal (though I'm going to replay the game on a harder difficulty, of course).

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I tried to run-n-gun that part a couple of times, on hard, but the frogs aim and aggressiveness is increased ten fold compared to the frogs from act 1-4. plus the gekkos were dropping in faster than anything. It might be possible to brute force it, but I found it pretty fucking impossible.

I did get spotted just as I opened the door though, but once you're in the alert will start to drop when you're out of their sights.

I'm stuck at the following boss though. All this syringe shit and me only having one ration is pretty difficult. Is it better to just use a sniper or the rail gun on the
puppets, and should I target one puppet over the other or do I only need to fire at the puppets?

psycho_snake

sonicmj1 said:
That wasn't the problem. I loved the 'noir' feel I was getting from it at the beginning. It just went on for a half-hour, even though it was the same sort of thing the whole time. It's not even really difficult.

Also, I don't get why people liked the last cutscene in that act so much.
It also went on too damn long. They spend five minutes surrounding a boat, and showing every single soldier in the entire army showing up, and then they spend five more minutes killing them all off. And EVA's death felt hokey, especially after she walks into a fire for no reason.

The Ocelot hand motion stuff is a cool idea, but they lingered on stuff too long. I guess I just really don't like Kojima's style for editing action sequences.
I thouht the cutscene at the end of act 3 was one of the best cutscenes in the game.

The meryl and Johnny bit was good in that scene. It took so long for Meryl to cough up the water that I was convinced she was dead

1stStrike

Banned
Brobzoid said:
I tried to run-n-gun that part a couple of times, on hard, but the frogs aim and aggressiveness is increased ten fold compared to the frogs from act 1-4. plus the gekkos were dropping in faster than anything. It might be possible to brute force it, but I found it pretty fucking impossible.

I did get spotted just as I opened the door though, but once you're in the alert will start to drop when you're out of their sights.

I'm stuck at the following boss though. All this syringe shit and me only having one ration is pretty difficult. Is it better to just use a sniper or the rail gun on the
puppets, and should I target one puppet over the other or do I only need to fire at the puppets?

I managed to do that boss with no rations on extreme. What I did was actually brute force it. I used the M4 and
just sprayed at the puppet everytime she stopped moving. You can't give her a chance to do anything or the puppets will own you. You have to pretty much follow her around and the second she stops moving, start spraying the doll. If she gets a puppet or meryl in your way, hit em once with the tranq sniper rifle and then swap back to the M4 (or your assault rifle of choice)

I was able to beat her in about 5 minutes on extreme this way.

Brobzoid said:

Incapacitation is your friend here, for both types of enemies.

I did it once by brute forcing my way in. Fucked up every bitch in the vicinity then dropped the gekkos, shot their legs instead of out right killing them so that it gave me time to open the door.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
1stStrike said:
I managed to do that boss with no rations on extreme. What I did was actually brute force it. I used the M4 and
just sprayed at the puppet everytime she stopped moving. You can't give her a chance to do anything or the puppets will own you. You have to pretty much follow her around and the second she stops moving, start spraying the doll. If she gets a puppet or meryl in your way, hit em once with the tranq sniper rifle and then swap back to the M4 (or your assault rifle of choice)

I was able to beat her in about 5 minutes on extreme this way.

aiight. thanks man, will try.

MickeyKnox said:
Incapacitation is your friend here, for both types of enemies.

I did it once by brute forcing my way in. Fucked up every bitch in the vicinity then dropped the gekkos, shot their legs instead of out right killing them so that it gave me time to open the door.

oh snap! that's too clever. I almost want to go back and try it out now...

dark10x said:
no kill act 5

Fuck that. I tried sooo many times to get through this section with no kills and I found it nearly impossible.

When it starts, equip the Stinger, and run to the middle of the two towers. Four Frogs should drop down. Aim at the first one and fire.
Then run to the right side and sidle between the pillar and the crate and crouch behind the small crate ahead of you. Two frogs drop down. Equip the M14 sniper (and put the silencer on it, get from Drebin if you don't have one) and move backwards a few steps and pop them in their noggins. One more Frog comes from the left and snipe her too. Then, run towards the back wall and throw a chaff grenade to disable the Geckos and run to the door. I was able to do this without setting of an alert phase.

1stStrike

Banned
viewtiful_dru said:
Fuck that. I tried sooo many times to get through this section with no kills and I found it nearly impossible.

When it starts, equip the Stinger, and run to the middle of the two towers. Four Frogs should drop down. Aim at the first one and fire.
Then run to the right side and sidle between the pillar and the crate and crouch behind the small crate ahead of you. Two frogs drop down. Equip the M14 sniper (and put the silencer on it, get from Drebin if you don't have one) and move backwards a few steps and pop them in their noggins. One more Frog comes from the left and snipe her too. Then, run towards the back wall and throw a chaff grenade to disable the Geckos and run to the door. I was able to do this without setting of an alert phase.

yea..a lot of us posted tips on how to get through act 5 without any alerts/kills. I bet you weren't playing it on extreme either from the sounds of it (run and gun act 5 on extreme? lawl).

It's really easy (even on extreme).

Blader

Will somebody please find me a cheap PS3 so I can finally play this damn game?

I almost regret buying the LE when it came out because now it just sits on a shelf...taunting me.

1stStrike

Banned
Blader5489 said:
Will somebody please find me a cheap PS3 so I can finally play this damn game?

I almost regret buying the LE when it came out because now it just sits on a shelf...taunting me.

Craigslist. Just make sure there's no problems with it first. I saw a 60 gb PS3 on there for $250 a couple weeks ago. If you have something someone else wants, you might even be able to just do a trade and it won't cost you a dime.

Darkpen said:
In order to get the action figure, you have to psyche kill them when they're in their beast form. The action figures are placed in the following locations:

Octopus: its on the bed
Raven: in the corner of the top floor/roof
Wolf: behind you
Mantis: where you entered from.

In order to get the Solar gun, you have to not kill any FROG soldiers during the palace fight, and only use stuff that knocks them out. The figure for that is right infront of you after the final cutscene w/ rat patrol.

the hand print surface is off to the side somewhere. Gamevideos.com has an MGS4 secrets video that shows where.

how
would I go about psyche killing Octopus in beast form? Because I just killed her first form through regular means, used the tranq on her second from and only got the face camo

maskrider

BlockBastard said:
So, how long do you guys think we'll have to wait 'till they officially announce MGS5 is in development? I say E3 2009. :<

I suppose it will not be MG Solid, but may be MG something else, unless Kojima's backbone is not strong enough.

Part of me thinks Kojima didn't have a lot of time and resources to realize all of his ideas so therefor he may want to come back and make one last entry.... you never know.

1stStrike

Banned
I think kojima needs a well deserved vacation before he starts working on another metal gear (if at all). Seriously, the guy isn't a machine. These guys put in a lot of hours and didn't even go home some days..if I was him, I would go to the bahamas or something for a while.

Damodar

Ken Masters said:
how
would I go about psyche killing Octopus in beast form? Because I just killed her first form through regular means, used the tranq on her second from and only got the face camo

It's fairly similar to what you did.
Whittle away at her with stun grenades or the mk 2 tranq pistol and when she hides somewhere, shoot her with the mosin-nagant tranq sniper rifle, if you have. Although, when she hides in the box, I can't remember if you can flush her out with a stun nade. Probably, but if not, just shoot her with a normal pistol to flush her out and keep tranqing. It's really similar to the normal way you fight her. It was for me, anyway.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
1stStrike said:
I think kojima needs a well deserved vacation before he starts working on another metal gear (if at all). Seriously, the guy isn't a machine. These guys put in a lot of hours and didn't even go home some days..if I was him, I would go to the bahamas or something for a while.

You do not even need anyone from Kojima productions to put together some psn avatars. Just get the PSN guys to get the go ahead from konami and they could do it.

1stStrike

Banned
neojubei said:
You do not even need anyone from Kojima productions to put together some psn avatars. Just get the PSN guys to get the go ahead from konami and they could do it.

I wasn't referring to the avatars.

elcapitan

Finally finished the game so now I can actually look through this thread without fear. The first 2 acts are brilliant, the 3rd act is something I'll have to get used to, the 4th act was great trip through memory lane, and the final act is fucking epic. I don't know what I feel about the game, I wouldn't even call it game. It felt like, something else entirely. Usually I would rank my favorite games by ranking them, I'd have to put MGS4 on an entirely different list. Game is such an experience. Now that the saga is all wrapped up, I think its about high time Kojima does something new and refreshing.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
SSM25 said:
hate quoting myself

I think someone already explained it but you may have missed it:

It was a phrase that was used to replace the word "Patriots" - it was language restriction by the Patriots"

Hope that helps!

TTP said:
- Rose tits-shake *
- OctoCamo reset (both in-game and during cutscenes) *
- MK-II camera height
-
Screaming Mantis dolls

* The proper way to shake the controller is to twist it around its vertical axis (not the Z one as u might think). Basically steer it like a truck wheel.

Pretty useless stuff but there u go. I wonder what was Kojima referring to in the 15mins demo video when he said "there are point in the game where you ha to do this" (or something along that) relative to the OctoCamo reset thing.

Also when you hide in a dumpster you use the six-axis to tilt and peek out of it.

SSM25

Shrinnan said:
I think someone already explained it but you may have missed it:

It was a phrase that was used to replace the word "Patriots" - it was language restriction by the Patriots"

Hope that helps!

oh Thanks!, when was that explained?

Hilit

Neo Member
I'm a fan of the MGS series and think this was a fairly satisfying conclusion. However in amongst all the praise I have some criticisms:

Raiden can stop a ship the size of an island by standing infront of it but a rock falls on him and hes screwed?

I have no idea what sort of emotional reaction Hideo was trying to get from me during Vamps death scene. Vamp is a character that along with trying to kill snake on multiple occasions, stabbed Otacons little sister to death. Then on his deathbed it turns all sympathetic and sad with the music swelling, Naomi crying and talking about putting him out of his misery? That made no sense at all.

Speaking of Naomi I found her death scene very confusing. I understand that when the AI is erased and her nanomachines stop working she will die anyway. But choosing death while the buildings collapsing and we need to be getting out of there was far to melodramatic. Rather than feeling sad I just thought it was ridiculous.

The ending where Big Boss shows up at the graveyard was horribly mishandled. First of all killing Zero just seemed cruel. I get the whole "return everything to nothing" idea but turning of the life support of a harmless old man and watching him gasp and die just seemed grotesque. Also the MGS series has always been about the Solid Snake character but during the series final 10 minutes Big Boss does 95% of the talking? Sorry but that just seemed very poorly handled.

The EVA death scene was poorly done. Hideo you cannot introduce a character and then 40 minutes later with almost no time for development or attachment, ask me to feel serious empathy when they die. When Meryl died in the MGS1 bad ending it was very sad because there had been around 15 hours worth of development and bond building.

Here's some random pics I had saved :p Nothing out of the ordinary

2mmfqpz.jpg

35a15sm.jpg

fbi6id.jpg

16jkf7s.jpg

iprrt0.jpg

2hi05ec.jpg

dw895g.jpg

k19xu8.jpg

2edwenq.jpg

jhg6z9.jpg

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Playing through it now...its been good up until the point where
you have to follow the resistence fighter through the city in the 3rd chapter. The guy keeps going back to areas where he already came from. He hasn't even spotted me once he just keeps going in circles.
I've been at this for 2 hours now. So annoying! This part is horrible IMO. Do I need to start over? Up until now its been great.

Edit: Finally! He finally started acting right!

Miburou

Wow, finished the game this morning, and wow. The game had so many awesome moments, but there are also things I didn't like, which doesn't bring the experience down, but it does make it inconsistent.

Gameplay wise, the first half of Act 3 was pretty frustrating and dumb, due to the crap AI, which just ran in circles.

The first part of Act 5 was really frustrating for me, too (I was playing on Big Boss Hard), but in the end just running towards the door and hoping for the best seemed to do the trick rather than any meticulous planning or execution.

The chase scene was awesome, and the last fight was dream-like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom