• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
My best pic so far:

mgs4picE3.jpg

1stStrike

Banned
I seriously can't believe how many people have issues with the first part of act 5 (and even act 3..)

What I've gotten from this thread is a whole lot of people disregard the "tactical" in "tactical espionage action"

All the FPS's over the years have spoiled people and made them impatient where they would rather just run through a level with a bazooka instead of putting a little thought into a situation and sneaking their way through it.

ChrisGoldstein said:
What's the most you can get them to do to you?

They just hug you, really. Sometimes with a different animation, I guess. (And obviously the ground vs. standing stuff.) But a single big shake of the sixaxis is roughly the same as doing the on-screen L stick motion.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
just finished the game. got eagle as the highest emblem/rank.

Thought most of the cut-scenes were horrible/laughable/poor. Especially the ending, but after not being impressed with a single cut-scene I didn't really expect much.

Loved the game though, will definitely play through again trying to get more ranks.

I also felt the game relied too heavily on throw-backs to previous titles in the series...

Blader

1stStrike said:
Craigslist. Just make sure there's no problems with it first. I saw a 60 gb PS3 on there for $250 a couple weeks ago. If you have something someone else wants, you might even be able to just do a trade and it won't cost you a dime.

Is this reliable? Because one buyer sent me a pic, with a PS3 still in the box and saying it was brand new, but for all I know he used it for two years and just kept the box. Also, there's a whole stack of them in the pic, which makes me think he stole it. :lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Brobzoid said:
just finished the game. got eagle as the highest emblem/rank.

Thought most of the cut-scenes were horrible/laughable/poor. Especially the ending, but after not being impressed with a single cut-scene I didn't really expect much.

Loved the game though, will definitely play through again trying to get more ranks.

I also felt the game relied too heavily on throw-backs to previous titles in the series...

Well, it was the last game in the series, meant to tie up all the ends from the other games...

1stStrike

Banned
Blader5489 said:
Is this reliable? Because one buyer sent me a pic, with a PS3 still in the box and saying it was brand new, but for all I know he used it for two years and just kept the box. Also, there's a whole stack of them in the pic, which makes me think he stole it. :lol

Yea. Just check it out first. Tell em you wanna go see it in action before you pay. Make sure you see a movie or game work. After that, you're good to go.

Hell, I got my dog off craigslist.

Solideliquid said:
I can't stop playing the single player. Just completed no kill/no alert on normal. Can someone just hack my ps3 and select MGO next time I play?

Add me on PSN and I'll spam you with messages until you come play MGO.

SSM25 said:
Maybe I missed it, but was the meaning of the la-li-lu-le-lo explained?
In the game it is
a phrase that automatically replaces Patriots within those hooked up to the SOP system

However, it refers to Japanese Emperor Uda who removed the letters from "his" alphabet in order to show his power. Apparently, their was a La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo clan in Japan at this time which was opposed to his regime, after destroying the clan he wanted to make it so no one could ever speak the name of the clan, and banned the letters from the alphabet.

It is a reference to a time in early Japanese history when information was censored, which goes along nicely with the purpose of the phrase in the video game.

Blader

1stStrike said:
Yea. Just check it out first. Tell em you wanna go see it in action before you pay. Make sure you see a movie or game work. After that, you're good to go.

Hell, I got my dog off craigslist.

Only problem is, he lives too far away for me to go there in person (which is why I'm arranging for him to ship it).

I practically need to play this game, but if this guy sends me a dud or, hell, a box of confetti, there's no real security or refund policy, is there? I'd be out $300 and no way to get it back. =\

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
1stStrike said:
I seriously can't believe how many people have issues with the first part of act 5 (and even act 3..)

What I've gotten from this thread is a whole lot of people disregard the "tactical" in "tactical espionage action"

All the FPS's over the years have spoiled people and made them impatient where they would rather just run through a level with a bazooka instead of putting a little thought into a situation and sneaking their way through it.

When Act 3 first started I thought, Wow, this is really cool. It was so atmospheric, different from all that had come before, and was just straight up sneaking. I loved the whistling too. :p But then it just dragged on...and on...and on. The AI didn't in that part didn't exactly endear me to it either.

This isn't going to win me any friends in this love-fest thread, but I feel that Splinter Cell does the actual sneaking and stalking thing much better. With a strictly limited weapon and equipment set, meaningful use of light & shadow, and better controls (the latter mostly rectified in MGS4) I feel like a high-tech ninja. MGS4 is an incredible experience, but is more about over-the-top set-pieces, weapon/equipment variety, and bizarre humor (for me).

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Kagari said:
Well, it was the last game in the series, meant to tie up all the ends from the other games...

yes, but certain things like the final boss fight
where shit is tagged as the previous games, and the whole fact that the fight somewhat mimics the REX fight... And the final act of the fight where there are no life-bars and both players are too spent to fight properly and it just becomes a fight of who strikes first. because after that initial strike, it's the other's turn, and then you again, and so on till you win. Or lose if you lost the initial bite-in. felt like a sour note to end on, gameplay-wise in my opinion.

I'm not trying to belittle people who enjoyed it, because people are free to differ in opinion. But I expected a little more finesse and subtlety in how themes were conveyed. I had also forgotten how the dialog in MGS is paced. -_-

anyway, really liked many of the gameplay changes (mostly controller-centric) and the fact that the game went across so many different locales.

1stStrike

Banned
Len Dontree said:
When Act 3 first started I thought, Wow, this is really cool. It was so atmospheric, different from all that had come before, and was just straight up sneaking. I loved the whistling too. :p But then it just dragged on...and on...and on. The AI didn't in that part didn't exactly endear me to it either.

This isn't going to win me any friends in this love-fest thread, but I feel that Splinter Cell does the actual sneaking and stalking thing much better. With a strictly limited weapon and equipment set, meaningful use of light & shadow, and better controls (the latter mostly rectified in MGS4) I feel like a high-tech ninja. MGS4 is an incredible experience, but is more about over-the-top set-pieces, weapon/equipment variety, and bizarre humor (for me).

I have to ask, what difficulty did you play on? I find most people that complain about the AI (or just act 3 in particular) play on easy or normal. Try it on extreme..that act is much tougher (and it's a bit longer too). There's a lot more challenges.

Miburou

The problem with the beginning of Act 5 was that the game was already in Caution mode, and once Alert mode was triggered, it would stay at that level, and it would be very hard to proceed. Turning around in MGS4, even at the fastest setting was still slow, so that part got frustrating quickly for me, and having to re-equip your weapons and items, buy ammo, and be greeted by the discount message every time you retried definitely didn't help.

Kojima usually put some hidden shortcuts for difficult sections, but not this time. In the end, I found out that just running towards the end occasionally shooting the FROGs was the fastes way to get past that section.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
1stStrike said:
I have to ask, what difficulty did you play on? I find most people that complain about the AI (or just act 3 in particular) play on easy or normal. Try it on extreme..that act is much tougher (and it's a bit longer too). There's a lot more challenges.

Yeah, I played through on normal. I'm giving myself a little cool-down time and then diving into hard/extreme mode, so it's good to hear it ramps up. Though don't get me wrong, I loved what Act 3 was doing, I just thought it dragged on a bit too long. Of course, the payoff at the end is pretty spectacular.

1stStrike

Banned
Miburou said:
The problem with the beginning of Act 5 was that the game was already in Caution mode, and once Alert mode was triggered, it would stay at that level, and it would be very hard to proceed. Turning around in MGS4, even at the fastest setting was still slow, so that part got frustrating quickly for me, and having to re-equip your weapons and items, buy ammo, and be greeted by the discount message every time you retried definitely didn't help.

Kojima usually put some hidden shortcuts for difficult sections, but not this time. In the end, I found out that just running towards the end occasionally shooting the FROGs was the fastes way to get past that section.

There's more than one path through that section that you can go down and not trigger an alert with ease. It's so fucking simple, yet everyone ignores the paths and tries to run and gun it. Let me bold it, just in case. You can get through the entirity of act 5, part 1 without triggering alert or so much as killing a single frog/gecko.

Cartman86

Banned
1stStrike said:
There's more than one path through that section that you can go down and not trigger an alert with ease. It's so fucking simple, yet everyone ignores the paths and tries to run and gun it. Let me bold it, just in case. You can get through the entirity of act 5, part 1 without triggering alert or so much as killing a single frog/gecko.

First time through I was an idiot and somehow managed to get in despite being attacked constantly, but the rest of my 12 playthroughs have been sneaky.

Miburou

So what is this "fucking simple" path you talk of? Or are you just talking about taking the left path and tranquilizing the enemies along that path?

1stStrike

Banned
Miburou said:
So what is this "fucking simple" path you talk of? Or are you just talking about taking the left path and tranquilizing the enemies along that path?

Have you noticed the ladders and stair cases? Have you tried using your octocamo and face mask? You don't even need to tranq any of the frogs on your way there. You don't need to blow up any geckos by the door either. The only time you need to tranq anything is right before the door, there are 3 frogs (2 on easier difficulties). Knock them out, another one will walk over, knock that one out and it's done. I took the path on the right side by the way (and cleared it without any alerts on the boss extreme as well).

The answer has been posted quite a few times in this thread (I'm sure it's even up on youtube). I think it would be a lot more rewarding if you actually figured it out yourself though rather than having someone just give you the answer.

My first play through was trial and error while I learned how that area worked. But, I still figured it out myself. It's not complicated.

Edit: Sorry I sound like a dick, but so many people have asked this same question in this thread and everyone has answered it so many times..it's not as hard as you're all making it out to be. Seriously.

FutureCTO

Neo Member
Metalmurphy said:
Here's some random pics I had saved :p Nothing out of the ordinary

2hi05ec.jpg

dw895g.jpg

jhg6z9.jpg

Hmmm... Maybe Solid Snake really does not have a Penis?
Heck, Elvis Presley is a world famous sexual icon, yet his penis never worked and he had a genetic twin. Coincidence or Patriots?

Could not help but be reminded of this when I saw your post. I'm a former elite Metal Gear fan that used to use the real name of Solid snake as my screen name (Not, Hayter). I wanted to create a thread for this. But I am still a junior member. I noted this in MGS2 but figured I was just over analyzing the game. Some one a more MG elite than myself has put together an awesome supporting post on the topic. (If you are an Admin could you create a separate thread for "Solid Snake and the Mystery of the Stealth Pelvis". Thanks.)

http://binaryfractal.blogspot.com/ Wednesday, June 25, 2008

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

i don't believe for a second that this is the last game in this series. Kojima has already started talking about MGS5 and i believe thier is some very very subtle ground work in MGS4 for a series reboot.

jett

D-Member
DCharlie said:
i don't believe for a second that this is the last game in this series. Kojima has already started talking about MGS5 and i believe thier is some very very subtle ground work in MGS4 for a series reboot.

Yeah it's not the last game in the series, Kojima has always said that his team could carry on with the series without him. It's supposed to be the end of the Snake/Big Boss/Patriots storyline, though.

FutureCTO

Neo Member
DCharlie said:

Kojima hasn't said anything about the next game. One of his team Kojima members did in an interview where they asked is there anyone there could be any other MGS games. Story wise it was stated this is the end of the arc. However back stories and side stories may yet be explored in future projects.

For as much as Kojima would like to walk away he is a family man and has to weigh obligations against creative vanity. If not for a family life and company pressure he could have walked away from the cash cow known as Metal Gear Solid.

Variable

momolicious said:
ok, why do i have to reinstall for second play through?! is this normal? is it because i chose a different difficulty?

PS3 only allows so much data to be put on the hdd from a game. MGS4 is larger then that set amount of data. Therefore they have to remove and copy over with new data.

FutureCTO

Neo Member
Completely appropriate response. :lol

Red Blaster said:

Yes it's true check it out. Back during MGS2 while discussing how f***ing lame Raiden was, I couldn't help but note in the discussion. "How odd it was that his character model has a large pelvic bump and Solid does not?" Never said much more about it. Just an odd note at the time. Figure there was some reason for the flatness other than a vagina or being chopped off like a eunuch. (To be honest I hope it is not true. Vasectomies are really easy to perform. And existed by the time snake was created. Anything else would just be too cruel.)

Check out the link at the bottom of the previous page.

SSM25

Variable said:
PS3 only allows so much data to be put on the hdd from a game. MGS4 is larger then that set amount of data. Therefore they have to remove and copy over with new data.

is this official or it's only a guess?

MercuryLS

Banned
1stStrike said:
Have you noticed the ladders and stair cases? Have you tried using your octocamo and face mask? You don't even need to tranq any of the frogs on your way there. You don't need to blow up any geckos by the door either. The only time you need to tranq anything is right before the door, there are 3 frogs (2 on easier difficulties). Knock them out, another one will walk over, knock that one out and it's done. I took the path on the right side by the way (and cleared it without any alerts on the boss extreme as well).

The answer has been posted quite a few times in this thread (I'm sure it's even up on youtube). I think it would be a lot more rewarding if you actually figured it out yourself though rather than having someone just give you the answer.

My first play through was trial and error while I learned how that area worked. But, I still figured it out myself. It's not complicated.

Edit: Sorry I sound like a dick, but so many people have asked this same question in this thread and everyone has answered it so many times..it's not as hard as you're all making it out to be. Seriously.

Yeah it's not that hard. First time I did the ol' run and gun. It was fail.

Next time I tried to sneak with face camo on and the tranq pistol equipped, went through the left side. tranqed like 4 gekkos and got through without an issue.

hirokazu

SSM25 said:
is this official or it's only a guess?
Somebody said in the MGS4 disc size thread that Sony imposes a 5GB install limit. I'm not sure where they got this information from though. A full MGS4 + MGO install would take about 9.6GB.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Why are some weapon and item icons red and some blue? I'm not sure I see any rhyme or reason to it.

hirokazu

TTP said:
- Rose tits-shake *
- OctoCamo reset (both in-game and during cutscenes) *
- MK-II camera height
-
Screaming Mantis dolls

* The proper way to shake the controller is to twist it around its vertical axis (not the Z one as u might think). Basically steer it like a truck wheel.

Pretty useless stuff but there u go. I wonder what was Kojima referring to in the 15mins demo video when he said "there are point in the game where you ha to do this" (or something along that) relative to the OctoCamo reset thing.
You can peek out from under the lid when hiding in a bin with the Sixaxis too.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Kojima hasn't said anything about the next game.

he apparently did in a Famitsu/dengeki interview (can't remember which). At least RP seemed to think so a few months back, he might have been mistaken i guess!

Story wise it was stated this is the end of the arc.

i'm sure it's the end of the arc with Solid Snake as the main character, but i don't think Metal Gear is done.

I've a feeling we'll see a reboot, with an adult Sunny, an adult John, adult mech designer that Sunny gave the Mark 3 too etc. Kojima might take a lesser active rule, but would still be involved.

It's a signature series for Konami , i can't see it going away. Perhaps we're just about to go to Hard Metal Gear or something similar.

Yes it's true check it out. Back during MGS2 while discussing how f***ing lame Raiden was, I couldn't help but note in the discussion. "How odd it was that his character model has a large pelvic bump and Solid does not?" Never said much more about it. Just an odd note at the time. Figure there was some reason for the flatness other than a vagina or being chopped off like a eunuch. (To be honest I hope it is not true. Vasectomies are really easy to perform. And existed by the time snake was created. Anything else would just be too cruel.)

it's revealed that the embryo from which Snake was effectively born was from a Japanese woman ....
i think that closes the case on the buldge discussion. It's there, it's just part of gene fight that was lost. Manomachines to the rescue?

AKS

hirokazu said:
Somebody said in the MGS4 disc size thread that Sony imposes a 5GB install limit. I'm not sure where they got this information from though. A full MGS4 + MGO install would take about 9.6GB.

I wish that was an available option. It's not like HDD space is particularly limited given that the PS3's HDD can be massively upgraded to hundreds of GB with minimal cost and effort. But just think of how crazy those tools at Kotaku would go if there was a 10 GB PS3 install. We'd hear about that for the next 10 years...

Blame!

if lucas can stop making awful star wars movies, kojima can do the same with metal gear.

the sad thing is, none of his other games have really panned out all that well commercially.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I meant that it was the last game for Solid Snake. Obviously there will be more Metal Gear games, they've talked about it.

Darkpen

Banned
Who's bright idea was it to bring up a stupid topic like asking if Solid Snake has no penis?

I'm pretty damn sure he does have one. Not everyone's fucking penis is giant and bulging.

Ken Masters said:
how
would I go about psyche killing Octopus in beast form? Because I just killed her first form through regular means, used the tranq on her second from and only got the face camo
you have to find the figures at the locations I listed DURING the fight with the beauty. As for how you take them out, you use any non-lethal means necessary, which includes the mk2 tranq pistol, the mosin nagant sniper, either of the two shotguns (twin barrel or auto-shotgun) with the ammo set to v-ring, the (later acquired) solar gun, shooting her with stun grenade rounds from a grenade launcher that supports differing ammunition, and finally, throwing stun grenades at the base of her feet.

Darkpen

Banned
what the hell, 2 pages since I last came here, and no one's posted the passwords from the MGS4 thing??

http://kotaku.com/5020528/mgs4-weaps-without-the-wet+work

password mekakorkkk unlocks the .45 caliber pistol.
password mnsoymsyhn unlocks the Mosin-Nagant rifle.

And there's one more that hasn't been posted yet:

For all you MGS4 gamers, reader Christine L. has a couple new cheat codes for you. These look new to us, so we're passing them along. With them you can get the .45 pistol and the Mosin-Nagant sniper rifle before they unlock in the game (which happens after you meet up with the Metal Gear Mark II.) It doesn't exactly rock the foundations of science, but it might be useful to some of you.

She got the unlock codes from two different launch events in Japan today, in Shinjuku and Yokohama. A third was released at Omiya but she wasn't there, so its code is still out there, presumably (if you have it, send along to tips.)

I assume the pistol is the 1911 custom that you can't get in the game.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Darkpen said:
what the hell, 2 pages since I last came here, and no one's posted the passwords from the MGS4 thing??

http://kotaku.com/5020528/mgs4-weaps-without-the-wet+work

password mekakorkkk unlocks the .45 caliber pistol.
password mnsoymsyhn unlocks the Mosin-Nagant rifle.

And there's one more that hasn't been posted yet:

I assume the pistol is the 1911 custom that you can't get in the game.

I want the Patriot unlock code :X

Darkpen

Banned
Kagari said:
I want the Patriot unlock code :X
I love using it for when you leap over the barricade during the
act 3 on-rails chase
, and just leave auto-aim on :D

the auto-aim on SMGs have the highest rating, and its freaking awesome w/ the patriot :D

Johnas

Darkpen said:
You have to find the figures at the locations I listed DURING the fight with the beauty.

You may or may not be aware of this, but you can pick up
Crying Wolf's
after the fight with her beauty form. I have a saved game right after her cutscene and Drebin codec, and it's sitting there waiting to be picked up.

This may be common knowledge, I haven't gotten all the figures myself. By the way, do you get one from
tranquing Vamp
? I don't think you can, but I forgot to look around during the
suicide Gekko fight

Darkpen

Banned
Johnas said:
You may or may not be aware of this, but you can pick up
Crying Wolf's
after the fight with her beauty form. I have a saved game right after her cutscene and Drebin codec, and it's sitting there waiting to be picked up.

This may be common knowledge, I haven't gotten all the figures myself. By the way, do you get one from
tranquing Vamp
? I don't think you can, but I forgot to look around during the
suicide Gekko fight
well duh. It doesn't matter for that one, but mind you, its FASTER to pick it up during the fight. I mean, come ON, its right freaking behind you. I picked it up without even knowing it.

You get nothing from
tranqing vamp

Miburou

1stStrike said:

Sorry, I got my copy late (shipped from overseas) and I avoided this thread in fear of spoilers. By the time I had finished the game and checked out this thread, there were too many pages for me to go over.

I was playing on Hard, and yeah of course I used the face camo, checked out the ladders and stairs, etc. and tried the tranquilizer. But I found a lot of the ladders to be dead ends, and it was easy to get spotted climbing a ladder due to the slow speed of climbing. I did manage to get close to the end without being spotted several time, but never all the way to the door. I found out that just rushing to the door (spotted or not) and hoping that you can open the door before dying worked out to be the quickest method.

With the door closed, it was a "get spotted once, even towards the end, and you're screwed", while had it been open, it would've been a case of the longer you can go undetected, the higher the chance you'll be successful in clearing that section, and the less damage you'd take.

No where was I implying that it's impossible to go through that section without being detected, but to call it "easy" would make the rest of the game the most unchallenging game ever made, which it's not.

Johnas

Darkpen said:
well duh. It doesn't matter for that one, but mind you, its FASTER to pick it up during the fight. I mean, come ON, its right freaking behind you. I picked it up without even knowing it.

You get nothing from
tranqing vamp

??? No need to be a drama queen about it. And it's not that much faster during the fight. It's sitting right beside the door after the battle.

I think you need some sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom