• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

comrade

Darkpen said:
what the hell, 2 pages since I last came here, and no one's posted the passwords from the MGS4 thing??

http://kotaku.com/5020528/mgs4-weaps-without-the-wet+work

password mekakorkkk unlocks the .45 caliber pistol.
password mnsoymsyhn unlocks the Mosin-Nagant rifle.

And there's one more that hasn't been posted yet:

I assume the pistol is the 1911 custom that you can't get in the game.
It's not. I just tried it and it's the MK.23 =\

Darkpen

Banned
comrade said:
It's not. I just tried it and it's the MK.23 =\
!@#$#!$#!%@!$#@$@!

Johnas said:
??? No need to be a drama queen about it. And it's not that much faster during the fight. It's sitting right beside the door after the battle.

I think you need some sleep.
hey, fuck you too pal.

Darkpen

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:
I've been wanting to get a replica MK23 USSOCOM since fucking MGS.

10 years it's been. I will get one one of these days.
when you find it under the truck, and equip it, and pull it out to aim, Snake says
"Just like old times,"
and you get 1000 drebin points D:

But yeah, me too.

http://unconventional-airsoft.com/2003/03/14/tokyo-marui-mark23-socom-nbb-review/

l_mk23-nbb-p.jpg

*thrust*

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Darkpen said:
I assume the pistol is the 1911 custom that you can't get in the game.

Nope. It's the Mk. 23. (beaten to death)

Is the 1911 custom the Thor .45-70? If so, I got that in the game by getting one of the highest emblems (the Fox Hound one IIRC).

Johnas

Darkpen said:
hey, fuck you too pal.

Why'd you get defensive in the first place? I was just trying to talk about the figures and you took it personally for some reason. I really have no idea why. You act like I was trying to insult your knowledge of the game, which couldn't have been further from the truth.

/confused

Thanks for the Vamp info though.

Darkpen

Banned
Johnas said:
Why'd you get defensive in the first place? I was just trying to talk about the figures and you took it personally for some reason. I really have no idea why. You act like I was trying to insult your knowledge of the game, which couldn't have been further from the truth.

/confused

Thanks for the Vamp info though.
What makes you think I was defensive? But fuck you for the drama queen accusation and sleep suggestion. What makes you think I'm a fucking drama queen? I don't even understand where that came from.

Johnas

Darkpen said:
What makes you think I was defensive? But fuck you for the drama queen accusation and sleep suggestion. What makes you think I'm a fucking drama queen? I don't even understand where that came from.

Darkpen said:
well duh. It doesn't matter for that one, but mind you, its FASTER to pick it up during the fight. I mean, come ON, its right freaking behind you. I picked it up without even knowing it.

Misunderstanding I guess, not a huge deal. Sorry for the insults and the derail.

drknite

Can't wait to eat some Kobe tubesteak
Just a quick question (I am only using "ctrl-f"-> "drknite", in fear of spoilers).
I just beat Laughing Octopus, how far am I into Act II?
Just want to know so I can pace myself through the game.

Darkpen

Banned
drknite said:
Just a quick question (I am only using "ctrl-f"-> "drknite", in fear of spoilers).
I just beat Laughing Octopus, how far am I into Act II?
Just want to know so I can pace myself through the game.
half way

M3wThr33

Banned
Finally found time to finish it.

A few questions.

The new Foxdie snake got. Modified to kill Big Boss and who else? Also, who programmed it? Naomi? Did she know? That's kind of odd, especially since I assume she thought he was dead. Was she just given data to throw in there? Or was Solidus a perfect copy of Big Boss and it worked like that?

Also, I never played the original MGS1, only Twin Snakes (Yeah, kill me, whatever), but I remember the biggest gripe was that Mei Ling lost her accent. There's no accent this time around. What do you say about that as far as what's canon?

I assume the gun shot we hear before Snake tried to off himself was Big Boss firing the Patriot into the air?

Anyone else think Zero at first was Fatman?

I remember seeing somewhere that Sokolov was one of the original Patriots. What's up with that?

How long after the killing of Ocelot was the Epilogue?

When Ocelot was having the spasms of Liquid taking over, were those faked or a result of the nanomachines? Or just a product of the hypnosis he was going under? And why did the hand become cybernetic? I remember a mention of the Patriots piecing together shit to make that Big Boss clone out of Solidus, was that part of it?

I'll dive into the MGS4 Database later. Just wanting to get some discussion on things.

Barakov

M3wThr33 said:
Finally found time to finish it.

A few questions.

The new Foxdie snake got. Modified to kill Big Boss and who else? Also, who programmed it? Naomi? Did she know? That's kind of odd, especially since I assume she thought he was dead. Was she just given data to throw in there? Or was Solidus a perfect copy of Big Boss and it worked like that?

Also, I never played the original MGS1, only Twin Snakes (Yeah, kill me, whatever), but I remember the biggest gripe was that Mei Ling lost her accent. There's no accent this time around. What do you say about that as far as what's canon?

I assume the gun shot we hear before Snake tried to off himself was Big Boss firing the Patriot into the air?

Anyone else think Zero at first was Fatman?

I remember seeing somewhere that Sokolov was one of the original Patriots. What's up with that?

How long after the killing of Ocelot was the Epilogue?

When Ocelot was having the spasms of Liquid taking over, were those faked or a result of the nanomachines? Or just a product of the hypnosis he was going under? And why did the hand become cybernetic? I remember a mention of the Patriots piecing together shit to make that Big Boss clone out of Solidus, was that part of it?

I'll dive into the MGS4 Database later. Just wanting to get some discussion on things.

My take:
AFAIK, it was to kill Eva and Ocelot. As far as the new Foxdie, It wasn't stated but it could've been just variation on the Foxdie that Naomi made. I don't think she knew. It's possible she was just given data that was thrown there. But since Solidus was a perfect clone it's also possible it just worked like that.

.2. As far as Mei Ling's accent she's lived in the US for awhile so it probably just gradually faded for lack of a better word.

3. That's possible.
That would be the most logical way it happened. It would probably be enough of a shock for Snake to pull the gun out of his mouth. Also Snake could've just pulled the gun out of his mouth and fired the gun into the air or something.:/

I kinda figured it was Zero simply because of Eva's talk in Act 3. But the resemblance is uncanny. :lol

5. I think it was just someone that looked like him in the
Philosophers. The original members were Zero, Big Boss, Eva, Ocelot, Para-medic and Sigint.

I believe it was about a month.

I think it was a product of the gene therapy he went under. As far as the arm goes, maybe he(or maybe a chunk of Liquid's arm got shot off) got injured between the events of MGS2 and MGS4. Then again it could've been some nano-machine nonsense.

Barakov said:
I think it was a product of the gene therapy he went under. As far as the arm goes, maybe he(or maybe a chunk of Liquid's arm got shot off) got injured between the events of MGS2 and MGS4. Then again it could've been some nano-machine nonsense.

I thought his arm could've been used as one of the parts for the resurrected Big Boss. Its not ever really explained, is it? Bah.

FabCam

So I beat the game. Here are my comments. I'll split it up into "best/worst" sub-titles:

*MASSIVE SPOILERS*

Best Moments:

-Taking on the Frogs for the first time
-Tracking Naomi
-Escaping on Drebins tank thing
-Stalking the resistance member through Prague
-The bike chase. Very cinematic.
-Entering Shadow Moses for the first time. Very nostalgic
-The Rex VS Ray fight
-The torture scene as you go through the micro wave corridor
-The fight against Liquid. I loved the way it reflected on all the MGS games. The energy bars changed, the names changed, the music changed. And during the MGS2 music there are loads of sea gulls just like on Big Shell.

Worst Moments:

-The first bit of Act 5. It was so damn hard as no matter where I hid the Frogs would always see me. Plus the re-spawn loops sucked.

Best Bosses:

-Laughing Octopus. I thought this was the 2nd best. Tonnes of fun and shit scary when you hear her laugh and you see that the noise is coming from right above you.
-Screaming Mantis. The music made it very atmospheric. Also took me ages to work out. I was playing with a SixAxis when Psycho Mantis showed up and I lol'ed when he said "no rumble!?" :lol
-Liquid vs Snake. Amazing scene.
-Rex Vs Ray. :eek:

Worst Bosses:

-Crying Wolf. The reason being I didn't know about the wind thing, so I was just walking around aimlessly until she showed up.
-Vamp pissed the hell out of me. I wasted so much ammo on him until I found out how to kill him. My fault through I suppose :D

Graphical Highpoints:

-The opening movie
-All the transitions from cutscene to HUD
-Crossing the river in Act 2. All the trees rustling, grass swaying and the beautiful water.
-The bike chase was just wow.
-All outdoor moments of Shadow Moses
-The fight with Liquid. The lighting is unbelievable. The sun setting in the backgroud and the silhouettes of the two Snakes on the top of Haven. Plus the character models were life like.
-The final cutscenes. Everything in the last hour or so was almost lifelike. I also love the way that at the end the sun is setting at the end of the game. The day is ending as the story is ending.

Graphical Lowpoints:

-End of Act 4 with Haven appearing out of the water and destroying the port. It looks very bland. [.spoiler]

Best cutscenes:

-When you first see Raiden and he takes out the Gekko
-Drebin bursting into the airport and taking out the legs of the Gekko
-Raiden vs Vamp fight
-End of Act 3. It was cinematic.
-Beginning of Act 5

About the ending:

[spolier] I though it was a decent way to wrap things up. I'm kind of glad that Snake didn't die. When you see Otacon tell Sunny "Snake had a hard life", I was thinking "Snake should have been able to just live a life". I'm glad that his life wasn't all full of misery.

Big Boss turning up was also a pleasant surprise. At first I was like "fuck no". But then you see that both him and Zero are the only Patriot's remaining. I also liked that it went round in a circle. Everything began with Zero and Big Boss and the story ended with Zero and Big Boss. I also liked the speech of Big Boss to The Boss. It's funny how the whole story has its roots back to The Boss, yet she is shrouded in such mystery.

One thing I would have changed. I wished that Raiden had actually died. I thought it was ridiculous that he survived what he went through.

One thing I didn't understand:

Why did Liquid want all the Ai to be destroyed?

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
FabCam said:
Why did Liquid want all the Ai to be destroyed?
He only wanted JD (the main AI) to be destroyed so that he could use GW (which he had kept out of the patriots sight) to take over the whole system.

psycho_snake

jett said:
Yeah it's not the last game in the series, Kojima has always said that his team could carry on with the series without him. It's supposed to be the end of the Snake/Big Boss/Patriots storyline, though.
There are a few parts in the timeline that they could work on though. They could do a game based on The Boss during WWII and Big Boss before he set up outer heaven or they could even remake MG1 and MG2.

FabCam

psycho_snake said:
He only wanted JD (the main AI) to be destroyed so that he could use GW (which he had kept out of the patriots sight) to take over the whole system.

But at the end, when you have destroyed all the AI's he says something like "this I what I was hoping for all along".

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i started an mgs series replay in preparation for mgs4, but only got as far as mgs2. i'm getting back to it now, and decided what the hell: i'll start with the original metal gear on msx. i loved the nes game when i was a kid, but kojima called that version a 'kusoge' in one of the mg saga documentaries, so i figure i should play the original. i'm about an hour in, and it's actually still a lot of fun, though i've run into a couple obscure puzzles typical of the era

psycho_snake

FabCam said:
But at the end, when you have destroyed all the AI's he says something like "this I what I was hoping for all along".
Is that after the fight with Liquid Ocelot? If so, then that was Ocelot taking. Ocelot wanted to end the patriots, but he couldnt do this by himself because the patriots were tracking him. To solve that problem, he let Liquids will take over his body and since liquid wasnt registered in the system (because the patriots had thought he died), he wouldnt be tracked, which gave him the freedom to set up the PMCs. Ocelot was hoping that Liquids activities to take on the patriots would provoke snake and that Snake would stop liquid and destroy the patriots, which is what he did. Ocelot was a good guy all along.

I have a question about unlocking
Drebin Face camo

I know to unlock it you have to buy 60 items from him but I was wondering this all had to be done in one play through, or if it carried over from the previous one. Also is the face camo unlocked at the end of the game or when you buy the 60th item?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
psycho_snake said:
Is that after the fight with Liquid Ocelot? If so, then that was Ocelot taking. Ocelot wanted to end the patriots, but he couldnt do this by himself because the patriots were tracking him. To solve that problem, he let Liquids will take over his body and since liquid wasnt registered in the system (because the patriots had thought he died), he wouldnt be tracked, which gave him the freedom to set up the PMCs. Ocelot was hoping that Liquids activities to take on the patriots would provoke snake and that Snake would stop liquid and destroy the patriots, which is what he did. Ocelot was a good guy all along.

The Patriots trusted Ocelot, how else would you explain when, under the Liquid persona, he speaks about how his new body (the body of Adam/Revolver Ocelot) "opened a lot of doors for him" and allowed to take Arsenal Gear's GW and bring it back to life?

FabCam

psycho_snake said:

Ah I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

hirokazu

Ken Masters said:
I have a question about unlocking
Drebin Face camo

I know to unlock it you have to buy 60 items from him but I was wondering this all had to be done in one play through, or if it carried over from the previous one. Also is the face camo unlocked at the end of the game or when you buy the 60th item?
You don't have to
buy 60 weapons from him, you just have to acquire 60 different weapons. This includes weapons you pick-up on the battlefield, as well as weapons you unlock. Since your weapons carry over between plays, you will get it whenever you have amassed 60 different weapons. I think you receive it as soon as you reach the next checkpoint after you have achieved the requirements, or at the end of the act, I don't remember specifically.

hirokazu

SaitoH said:
deskyhstyl = DE Long Barrel code

Assuming it hasn't been posted yet.
Is that for the Password screen in the Extras section? Did they release that, or did people find it themselves. How the hell do people manage to find codes like this?

1stStrike

Banned
FYI the colored smoke grenades count as weapons as well. I had 65 weapons when I started my 4th play through and was like..hmm what am I missing.......oh. Now I have all 69 (just got the sun gun..I kinda put that one off).

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
psycho_snake said:
Not exactly,
he explained his reasoning right before and after the big fight, when the Liquid persona was still in full effect. He even still refers to Big Boss as "father" and Solidus as "our dear brother". The Liquid doppleganger said he truly wanted Snake to destroy the Patriots afterall. Basically believing that with them gone, the world would soon descend into anarchy, like the Wild West. The people would be in a constant state of war and fighting, and only then would the masses truly experience the fullness of life (his interpretation of Big Boss's dream).

FutureCTO

Neo Member
DCharlie said:
he apparently did in a Famitsu/dengeki interview (can't remember which). At least RP seemed to think so a few months back, he might have been mistaken i guess!

i'm sure it's the end of the arc with Solid Snake as the main character, but i don't think Metal Gear is done.

I've a feeling we'll see a reboot, with an adult Sunny, an adult John, adult mech designer that Sunny gave the Mark 3 too etc. Kojima might take a lesser active rule, but would still be involved.

It's a signature series for Konami , i can't see it going away. Perhaps we're just about to go to Hard Metal Gear or something similar.

it's revealed that the embryo from which Snake was effectively born was from a Japanese woman ....
i think that closes the case on the buldge discussion. It's there, it's just part of gene fight that was lost. Manomachines to the rescue?

Thank you. After a search Kojima did indeed say two sentences in response to MGS5 questions.
http://kotaku.com/5010401/kojima-is-thinking-about-metal-gear-solid-5
In regards to MGS5 most have been made by Konami's Ryan Payton. http://kotaku.com/tag/ryan-payton/ He seems to be the English speaking mouth piece of Konami.

Here is a little back history on Ryan Peyton. http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3168349 It is a very, very good interview.

psycho_snake

A question about Liquid Ocelot (spoilers obviously):

When Liquids consciousness took over ocelots body, were Ocelots nanomachines active or not? If they were active, then the patriots would be able to monitor Liquids moves, which means that when Liquid did the experiments to free the soldiers from SOP, the patriots would know what Liquid was doing and they'd be able to stop him. If the nanomachines were not active, then The Patriots wouldnt have a clue as to what Liquid was doing.

comrade

hirokazu said:
Is that for the Password screen in the Extras section? Did they release that, or did people find it themselves. How the hell do people manage to find codes like this?
Yes it's the password for the Extras section. Konami has been releasing them. 3 were released yesterday although only 2 showed up and there is supposed to be 2 today I believe.

Darkpen

Banned
to any and all questions that cannot be explained by the game or the database, I have the following for you:

Deus Ex Machina

That is all.

And let's face it, a large portion of the ending of the game is nothing BUT deus ex machina at work to begin with. I mean, really now.

comrade said:
Yes it's the password for the Extras section. Konami has been releasing them. 3 were released yesterday although only 2 showed up and there is supposed to be 2 today I believe.

What are they? Or.... tell me to read a few pages back (if they're there).

comrade

MoonsaultSlayer said:
What are they? Or.... tell me to read a few pages back (if they're there).
They're unlocks for guns. So far they've released the MK.23 pistol, Mosin-Nagant tranq sniper, and the Desert Eagle Long Barrel.

FutureCTO

Neo Member
psycho_snake said:
A question about Liquid Ocelot (spoilers obviously):

When Liquids consciousness took over ocelots body, were Ocelots nanomachines active or not? If they were active, then the patriots would be able to monitor Liquids moves, which means that when Liquid did the experiments to free the soldiers from SOP, the patriots would have been able to monitor what Liquid was doing and they'd be able to stop him. If the nanomachines were not active, then The Patriots wouldn't have a clue as to what Liquid was doing.

I apologize for all the black outs. But until you beat the game you should not read this. Major plot spoiler.

Liquid Ocelot is an Act. Ocelot is acting. He came up with this ploy before the Big Shell incident. He had decided to start working against the Patriots and was doing so the whole time.
The Patriots were fooled during the big shell incident believing Ocelot was really on their side, and that odd behavior was a side effect of the arm.
Then to severe ties with the Patriots he assumed the Character of Liquid Ocelot as his full time persona in MGS4. He used this idea again to trick Solid into infecting the Patriot's AI program with a virus.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Well yeah... I meant what are the codes lol.

password mekakorkkk unlocks the .45 caliber pistol.

and:

password thomas unlocks music

password abraham unlocks music

password theodore unlocks music

password george unlocks music

comrade

Mr_Brightside said:
password mekakorkkk unlocks the MK. 23 pistol.
password deskyhstyl unlocks the Desert Eagle Long Barrel.

and:

password thomas unlocks music

password abraham unlocks music

password theodore unlocks music

password george unlocks music

Added one more.

FutureCTO

Neo Member
Darkpen said:
Who's bright idea was it to bring up a stupid topic like asking if Solid Snake has no penis?

I'm pretty damn sure he does have one. Not everyone's fucking penis is giant and bulging.

I mentioned it after reading a blog and seeing photos in this thread. Starting at the bottom of page 437.
REALLY MUST READ AND WATCH THIS --> http://binaryfractal.blogspot.com/

After you get over the initial shock (took me two days) it starts to make a lot of sense. And then seems to become an ongoing inside joke of crouch grabbing starting back in 1998's MGS on the Playstation .
Censored: Someone here suggested the missing or very small bulge was because his embryo came from a Japanese woman. Which is an insulting, yet honest opinion, so we accept it as frankness.
In the video on the above link it suggests that, "if he has a penis", the pelvic bulge is smaller than the one on the Romanesque statues.

The inside joke is so old it has become so inside that even Ryan Peyton isn't aware of it. Even while it explains certain plot twists no one saw coming.
1UP: Why in the world are Meryl Silverburgh and Johnny Sasaki hooking up in this game?

RP: I have no idea. Maybe that's a question for Kojima. Were you not happy with how that turned out?

1UP: No.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=1&cId=3168349

Miburou

Btw, what's with all the product placement in the game? I know MGS3 also had it, but not to this extent. At least it offsets the increased budget, I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom