• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I have a question - my friend wants to complete the game without being seen (and so do I) so he asked me if you get caught (getting an alert) and just decide to take a continue instead of going through the title screen to reload your save - will your ingame stats show the alert before you died or will it just count as a continue?

Steroyd

Does the passwords unlock guns I've already bought and how many Ipod tunes are there!? I keep finding a new one every playthrough. :lol

What is the name of the Song that you get for the Big Boss emblem? I know it's affects are like the others combined but I forgot the name. :(

FabCam

Miburou said:
Btw, what's with all the product placement in the game? I know MGS3 also had it, but not to this extent. At least it offsets the increased budget, I guess...

It adds to the immersiveness (don't think that's even a word! :lol ). Actually having an iPod instead of an un named MP3 player is for the better. It's never in your face either which makes it fine by me.

Miburou said:
Btw, what's with all the product placement in the game? I know MGS3 also had it, but not to this extent. At least it offsets the increased budget, I guess...

In the interview posted above, Payton says that they approached the companies about putting their products into the game and not vice versa.

zoukka

Red Blaster said:
In the interview posted above, Payton says that they approached the companies about putting their products into the game and not vice versa.

Which doesn't mean the companies didn't pay Konami.

Doc Evils

Found this on an other forum.:

INTHICUM, Md. - Military binoculars may soon get information directly from the brains of the soldiers using them.

With the idea that that the brain absorbs and assesses more visual information than it lets on — and that it could make more sense out of what's visible through high-power binoculars if it stopped filtering that information — the Pentagon has awarded contracts to two defense firms to develop brainwave-aided binoculars.

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, better known as DARPA, is betting that intelligent binoculars can tap into the brain's ability to spot patterns and movement and help soldiers detect threats from miles farther away than they can with traditional binoculars.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25374031/

Kojima has spies confirmed.

Hey, does anyone know o fany sites that are hosting high quality MGS4 playthrough videos for download? I ask because I'm planning on editing the story together into something shorter than an hour and a half. Thanks.

sky

Most useless installation warning message has to be: "This game is for use exclusively on the Playstation 3 system". Thanks! :lol

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

M3wThr33

Banned
FutureCTO said:
I mentioned it after reading a blog and seeing photos in this thread. Starting at the bottom of page 437.
REALLY MUST READ AND WATCH THIS --> http://binaryfractal.blogspot.com/

After you get over the initial shock (took me two days) it starts to make a lot of sense. And then seems to become an ongoing inside joke of crouch grabbing starting back in 1998's MGS on the Playstation .
Censored: Someone here suggested the missing or very small bulge was because his embryo came from a Japanese woman. Which is an insulting, yet honest opinion, so we accept it as frankness.
In the video on the above link it suggests that, "if he has a penis", the pelvic bulge is smaller than the one on the Romanesque statues.

The inside joke is so old it has become so inside that even Ryan Peyton isn't aware of it. Even while it explains certain plot twists no one saw coming.

His logic is flawed, though.

There's no concrete proof, only suggestions and forced hints.
1) He says they couldn't make you sterile without removing whole penis in the 1970s. Right, and the AI or Les Enfant Terriblescouldn't have been formed either.

2)Snake still recoves psyche from looking at the Playboy magazine. He still is turned on by women, but just a more focused soldier. It's also why he's hesitant about shooting the BnBs.

3) A large part of his rant just blows over removing the testicles because it makes for a more interesting article if you ignore it. Yet that one is the most likely and something the president could still check for in MGS2 quite easily.

4) Bulges. The only one there that doesn't have a bulge is the Nintendo one, one that Nintendo probably chose to reduce and is decidedly non-canon. The shadowy dark one was also on the PS1, back when Sony had decency standards to carefully watch on high profile titles.

5) This guy is crazy, referring to MPO as MGS:pO, half-way suggesting Ghost Babel was canon and that MGS3 was a virtual mission because of the word 'virtuous.'

6) Then he retcons his own thing justifying the existence of Raiden's son as taking his sperm BEFORE they removed his penis and gave him artificial blood or some shit.

The guy is talking out of his ass plain and simple and he just wants to get hits on the website. Ignore him.

M3wThr33 said:

There's no concrete proof, only suggestions and forced hints.
1) He says they couldn't make you sterile without removing whole penis in the 1970s. Right, and the AI or Les Enfant Terriblescouldn't have been formed either.

2)Snake still recoves psyche from looking at the Playboy magazine. He still is turned on by women, but just a more focused soldier. It's also why he's hesitant about shooting the BnBs.

3) A large part of his rant just blows over removing the testicles because it makes for a more interesting article if you ignore it. Yet that one is the most likely and something the president could still check for in MGS2 quite easily.

4) Bulges. The only one there that doesn't have a bulge is the Nintendo one, one that Nintendo probably chose to reduce and is decidedly non-canon. The shadowy dark one was also on the PS1, back when Sony had decency standards to carefully watch on high profile titles.

5) This guy is crazy, referring to MPO as MGS:pO, half-way suggesting Ghost Babel was canon and that MGS3 was a virtual mission because of the word 'virtuous.'

6) Then he retcons his own thing justifying the existence of Raiden's son as taking his sperm BEFORE they removed his penis and gave him artificial blood or some shit.

The guy is talking out of his ass plain and simple and he just wants to get hits on the website. Ignore him.
LOL, overreaction FTW! This was just a joke entry, I don't think he writes all these things for serious.

M3wThr33

Banned
Steiner_Zi said:
LOL, overreaction FTW! This was just a joke entry, I don't think he writes all these things for serious.
Yeah, but there's enough comprehensive evidence there to make a case. For nearly everything else in the series it usually has a strong hint to it, but I doubt Kojima knew that Snake was going to be dork-less in the original Metal Gear when he called him that.

There wasn't any of the clone bullshit or even Big Boss as the father.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Taking pictures with the camera seems pretty fun. I just now started messing with it.

Check out this shot that someone (not me) took...pretty funny if you ask me.

SUNNYNAOMI3.jpg

lordg

Baron Aloha said:
Taking pictures with the camera seems pretty fun. I just now started messing with it.

Check out this shot that someone (not me) took...pretty funny if you ask me.

SUNNYNAOMI3.jpg

Where do I see this pic in the game?

FutureCTO

Neo Member
Miburou said:
Well, Snake also masturbated to those posters in the locker during MGS2. :lol

There are definitely a lot of conflicting or unclear points on this topic. For the record the "masturbating" easter egg is him rocking back and forth panting. Not much different than the heavy breathing done after a run. They don't show are motions and he is in a codec conversation when he does it. Most people don't jack off at work. It seems more like he was oggling or panting at a picture than performing a sexual act.

Stop and gape in a mirror, then say "Haw, haw, haw, Hot!" looks about the same.

Here is the strongest evidence against it.
Naomi stripped Snake on the Submarine in MGS1 on PlayStation and later promised that if he got back she might let him strip her in return. So he has a cock right? Yet when he meets the first Darpa chief next to Meryl, that guy grabs his package checking for something. What?

The blogger also makes one somewhat erroneous statement in regards to Raiden and the President. After being grabbing his package the president says "Huh, so your a guy?" Which we generally assume is a reference to how effeminate Raiden appears. But maybe there is another reason as the blogger suggests.

On most all other points the blogger has a very strong case. It just seems like they could have done something else other than chop off organs. Vacectomy's have been around for a long time. http://www.vasectomy-information.com/moreinfo/history.htm Also there are biological reasons such as testosterone and other things that would need the balls to remain.

Maybe the reason
that Dr. Naomi cries
in MGS4 is that Snake has gotten so old and that
what impressed her in MGS1
has shrunk and withered away.

The author at http://binaryfractal.blogspot.com/ often shows a good sense of humor and is generally thoughtful. For what it counts in MGS4, Solid Snakes pelvic bulge is not different than the women. So he noted kind of funny to notice and kind of odd to consider. Seems debate worthy. How does such an idea affect your interpretation of this character?

BTW, Elvis Presley really was a twin, and he really did suffer from ED. Yet he's still the King!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i'm utterly confused.

I simply assumed that his inability to reproduce simply meant that he would be firing blanks by design.

Is all this "he has no pensu/balls!" coming from looking at the model?!

I'd not thought about it, but he'd surely be a lot less masculine/agressive with NO BALLS.

And surely, Hayter would need to be a few octaves higher? ;)

M3wThr33

Banned
DCharlie said:
i'm utterly confused.

I simply assumed that his inability to reproduce simply meant that he would be firing blanks by design.

I'd not thought about it, but he'd surely be a lot less masculine/agressive with NO BALLS.

The lack of testosterone in the system would definitely have affected his growth, so there's no goddamn way they castrated him by design.

DihcarEM

DCharlie said:
i'm utterly confused.

It's a joke and a bad one at that, definitely not supposed to be taken seriously. Pretty much everything about that guy's "theory" is bullshit.

Darkpen

Banned
the guy is getting more attention than he needs. I mean, honestly, I saw what was posted, I checked his page, and immediately said "fuck him, he doesn't know what he's talking about," and moved on.

So, I just played through Act 1 again, but this time using only the my tranq gun... and on the summary screen, I notice that 6 people died somewhere along the way. Are these 'deaths' only for kills that I was responsible for? Or do I have to run around, 'saving' the Frogs/PMCs from Rat Patrol/resistance? If it's just my kills, well I'm sorry officer, you got the wrong man, I didn't hurt them, unless Kojima added in allergic reactions to tranq darts. Does Drebin sell antihistamine?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
you must've killed someone. if you blow up a barrel or other explosive and kill someone, those count. Use only tranq darts and stun grenades.

djkimothy

marvelharvey said:
So, I just played through Act 1 again, but this time using only the my tranq gun... and on the summary screen, I notice that 6 people died somewhere along the way. Are these 'deaths' only for kills that I was responsible for? Or do I have to run around, 'saving' the Frogs/PMCs from Rat Patrol/resistance? If it's just my kills, well I'm sorry officer, you got the wrong man, I didn't hurt them, unless Kojima added in allergic reactions to tranq darts. Does Drebin sell antihistamine?

I believe those kills may have come from FROGS you've tranqu'ed while they were hanging. When they fall they fall to their deaths. I recall a faq saying that is not true. But I had the same problem, re-did the section w/o tranq'ing the FROGs that were wall climbing and got the 0 kills. Try it out.

djkimothy said:
I believe those kills may have come from FROGS you've tranqu'ed while they were hanging. When they fall they fall to their deaths. I recall a faq saying that is not true. But I had the same problem, re-did the section w/o tranq'ing the FROGs that were wall climbing and got the 0 kills. Try it out.
Ahh, this might be it, I had them dropping off the walls a number of times.

Orlics

M3wThr33 said:

5)... and that MGS3 was a virtual mission because of the word 'virtuous.'

The theory that MGS3 was a virtual simulation of Big Boss's mission that was released along with the names of the original Philosophers is actually a very popular one, and some people were quite disappointed that it didn't come true into MGS4.

djkimothy said:

I just completed a no kill run and during that part I shoot at everyone at any time, probably as they were hanging and got no kills.

Of note in act 2 when the PMC was laying a claymore I used the Mk2 and zapped him and he fell into his own claymore and died. I thought that might be a kill but its not. It seems like kills are only if you do it, not if after you hit them they accidentaly die. Maybe you hit a gas canister or something, did you blow up any tanks?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'm just on Chapter 4, but do we know why Raiden is the way he is?
I mean, he didn't exactly go into detail on why he gave his body over for science...

I'm a bit confused on how he turned out to be just a head in a ninja suite. Like, I get him talking about who did it etc, but what I don't know is why exactly he wanted it done in the first place... seems like a pretty gruesome procedure to undergo for no reason. Unless he was mortally wounded, but I don't recall that...?

Drakken

Just finished it. Final time was just over 22 hours. Got the "Eagle" rank.

Is there a page somewhere that lists all the secrets / easter eggs / unlockables?

M3wThr33

Banned
Orlics said:
The theory that MGS3 was a virtual simulation of Big Boss's mission that was released along with the names of the original Philosophers is actually a very popular one, and some people were quite disappointed that it didn't come true into MGS4.
It's shit like that that happens when people overthink the series. Granted there's a lot to connect and process, but making assumptions is just going to confuse you more in the end, because which so much to handle, it's easy to accidentally assimilate it into the 'confirmed' history.

Additionally, I ran through the MGS4 DB (100% complete) and noticed that the Madnar that helped
Raiden
IS the original one. His daughter's just the ballerina. Snake 'defeated' him but didn't kill him.

And no mention of Sokolov, past the history of MPO.

Damn Kojima doing things he knows he'll return to. Sneaky bastard.

SRG01

How the hell am I supposed to have enough ammo to beat Laughing Octopus non-lethally on TBE? 10 Mosin-Nagant Rounds and ~40 Tranq rounds aren't enough...

FooTemps

SRG01 said:
How the hell am I supposed to have enough ammo to beat Laughing Octopus non-lethally on TBE? 10 Mosin-Nagant Rounds and ~40 Tranq rounds aren't enough...

stun grenades and stun knife once the rollout move starts.

Killthee said:
You can buy ammo by going to the Weapons menu, highlighting the Mosin, and pressing triangle.

MickeyKnox said:
Buy more?

you can't buy non-lethal ammo on tbe

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
SRG01 said:
You can buy ammo by going to the Weapons menu, highlighting the Mosin, and pressing triangle.

Farnack

Banned
SRG01 said:
Mine is the right answer.
You don't need to tranq kill the beast form.

1stStrike

Banned
You guys realize he's talking about The Boss Extreme right? TBE. You can't buy any sort of non-lethal rounds on that mode.

You can kill all the beasts with lethal rounds (the rail gun works wonders) and then just tranq their beauty forms (the shotgun with vrings works great for this).

John Harker said:
I'm just on Chapter 4, but do we know why Raiden is the way he is?
I mean, he didn't exactly go into detail on why he gave his body over for science...

I'm a bit confused on how he turned out to be just a head in a ninja suite. Like, I get him talking about who did it etc, but what I don't know is why exactly he wanted it done in the first place... seems like a pretty gruesome procedure to undergo for no reason. Unless he was mortally wounded, but I don't recall that...?

Spoilered since it's revealed in MGS4DB, not the game itself:
Raiden is captured while attempting to rescue Sunny from Area 51. The Patriots refit him as the Ninja by force, a la Grey Fox.

As for today's passwords...

Wow, the DE LB is great. The stats look a bit low - you'd think a Desert Eagle does A rank damage especially close up - but it's actually a very good makeshift sniper rifle that requires much less set-up clearance than, say, the SVD or M14EBR. I can see why
Meryl
uses it.

SRG01

Holy crap guys.

TBE mode means I can't buy ammo! :p

I'm walking into the fight with one stun grenade, ~40 tranqs, 3 SG mines and fresh Mosin Nagant. I want to tranq her beast form because I want the statue.

Should I just start from an earlier point and try to get more ammo (especially for the Mosin?)

1stStrike

Banned
SRG01 said:
Holy crap guys.

I'm walking into the fight with one stun grenade, ~40 tranqs, 3 SG mines and fresh Mosin Nagant. I want to tranq her beast form because I want the statue.

Should I just start from an earlier point and try to get more ammo (especially for the Mosin?)

Duh :eek:

You should just ignore the statues on TBE and get em on an easier difficulty..you'll never have enough ammo on TBE for all of em lol.

FooTemps

SRG01 said:
Holy crap guys.

master how to use the stun knife I guess, that's probably th only way to do it with that little amount of stuff.

edit: anyway I corrected those guys on the whole TBE deal.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SRG01 said:
Holy crap guys.

You should have go for the Solar Gun before attempting TBE. But just in case u manage to down the beast non-lethally, here is a little trick about how to quickly down the beauty if you are out of stunt grenades.

Lay to the ground while keeping some distance from her. If she gets close, roll away but keep staying down. After a while she will lay to the ground as well. While doing this, she can't avoid bullets with that speedy lateral move she does when standing up, so just aim for the head for maximum damage.

Orlics said:
What proof is there to even back such a theory? That always confused me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom