• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

SRG01 said:
How the hell am I supposed to have enough ammo to beat Laughing Octopus non-lethally on TBE?

You don't. :lol

You barely have enough ammo to get through the whole game on TBE non lethally you have no chance of tranqing the beast form of a boss.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I just started a new game on Big Boss hard and I'm trying to do a no alert/no kill run, but its harder than I thought I would be. The PMC's are not blind this time round.

Darkpen

Banned
psycho_snake said:
I just started a new game on Big Boss hard and I'm trying to do a no alert/no kill run, but its harder than I thought I would be. The PMC's are not blind this time round.
lol, nope, they aren't. In fact, playing on the easier difficulties is awkward, after playing it on TBE

Blacktin0

Banned
I have a question which has confused me still after two completion's of the game

So basically the patriots was founded by most of the members from MGS3 put together to maintain order on the battlefield right? Big boss broke away after being cloned, the patriots was funded by the philosophers legacy (because it was sold? or something) and in MGS1 to MGS4 the patriots are being run by someone else?! someone we do not know?
How did the founders get demoted? And the slogan on drebin's machine EYE HAVE YOU is that to try and say that now the patriots are controlling or observing solid snake? because it seems as though in mgs4 they used him? and i wouldn't be surprised if mgs4 was another training exercise to create the perfect solider.

M3wThr33

Banned
Blacktin0 said:
I have a question which has confused me still after two completion's of the game

So basically the patriots was founded by most of the members from MGS3 put together to maintain order on the battlefield right? Big boss broke away after being cloned, the patriots was funded by the philosophers legacy (because it was sold? or something) and in MGS1 to MGS4 the patriots are being run by someone else?! someone we do not know?
How did the founders get demoted? And the slogan on drebin's machine EYE HAVE YOU is that to try and say that now the patriots are controlling or observing solid snake? because it seems as though in mgs4 they used him? and i wouldn't be surprised if mgs4 was another training exercise to create the perfect solider.

Did you not understand the whole AI system at ALL?

glaurung

OK, so I tried going for the utter and complete stealth run of the first act.

I am freaking terrible at this.

So I need a few pointers with the area that precedes the meet-up with
Meryl's team.

I doubt any of this serves as a spoiler, but just in case.

It is the area that starts with the acquisition of the barrel. It starts out, there's bullets flying around everywhere, it's chaos.

I run along the first stretch, the local militia is friendly or neutral to my presence, I check the first alleyway for the two items and then climb the ladder up to the area with the dead rebel and a mortar launcher. I sneak around to the edge that has no wall, I tranq the three guys just below me.

Then I go back a bit and carefully tranq the four guys on either sides of the Stryker position. So good so far. Back to the ground, I either wait for the hopeless militia to score a direct hit with an RPG at the Stryker or I take it out myself. This conflict is solved.

On to the sniper building.

I approach the first fortified area with the two PMC soldiers, I tranq them from afar. Make my way into the building, either Mark II and stun the guys or wait behind the corner while one of the two guys comes to patrol and then take them out one by one. Take out the sniper on the small bridge between the buildings just outside the window, gather the loot around the area, move on.

Now it gets tricky. This is the first of the two areas that has an infinite respawn rate. It seems that no matter what I do, I cannot get past this area without alerting the enemies. I can snipe or simply shoot real accurately at the snipers on the balconies at the end of the street, but the PMC spawn points feed never ending soldiers into the two corners on the way.

How can I get past this area without a single alert.

Further on, the last alley before entering the building, where the heli comes to stir things up, how can I get past that without alerting anyone? I believe I could camp out in the hollow building just across the street from the meet-up building and wait until the air strike is over and then crawl across?

Thanks for any pointers.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Blacktin0 said:
No explain?
so the patriots is now controlled by an AI system?! who created it? and the ai kicked out the founders?!

Zero alone created the AI, not all of the original members IIRC

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
glaurung said:
OK, so I tried going for the utter and complete stealth run of the first act.

I am freaking terrible at this.

So I need a few pointers with the area that precedes the meet-up with
Meryl's team.

I doubt any of this serves as a spoiler, but just in case.

It is the area that starts with the acquisition of the barrel. It starts out, there's bullets flying around everywhere, it's chaos.

I run along the first stretch, the local militia is friendly or neutral to my presence, I check the first alleyway for the two items and then climb the ladder up to the area with the dead rebel and a mortar launcher. I sneak around to the edge that has no wall, I tranq the three guys just below me.

Then I go back a bit and carefully tranq the four guys on either sides of the Stryker position. So good so far. Back to the ground, I either wait for the hopeless militia to score a direct hit with an RPG at the Stryker or I take it out myself. This conflict is solved.

On to the sniper building.

I approach the first fortified area with the two PMC soldiers, I tranq them from afar. Make my way into the building, either Mark II and stun the guys or wait behind the corner while one of the two guys comes to patrol and then take them out one by one. Take out the sniper on the small bridge between the buildings just outside the window, gather the loot around the area, move on.

Now it gets tricky. This is the first of the two areas that has an infinite respawn rate. It seems that no matter what I do, I cannot get past this area without alerting the enemies. I can snipe or simply shoot real accurately at the snipers on the balconies at the end of the street, but the PMC spawn points feed never ending soldiers into the two corners on the way.

How can I get past this area without a single alert.

Further on, the last alley before entering the building, where the heli comes to stir things up, how can I get past that without alerting anyone? I believe I could camp out in the hollow building just across the street from the meet-up building and wait until the air strike is over and then crawl across?

Thanks for any pointers.
This should help you:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XdcQePowoWE&feature=related

OK, the cutscene has just played where you get the oil drum, I think this is where you are.

- I ran down the right side of the street (the friendly militia are firing ahead. Shortly down the street is a side street to the right. I take this, and run around to the left where there is a ladder. Climb ladder, and boxes onto the next level. Now walk on roof, and drop down onto balcony. Run along this, and there is a gun turret at end. Ahead the road has forked, and straight on there is a road bloke, to the right-hand fork is a car blocking the way. I sneak around (still on the balcony), and tranq. the 3 guards that are in this area.

I then jump down and crawl underneath the car that was blocking the road. Run along a bit, and if you keep looking left there are buildings there is a gap that you can get through if you press TRIANGLE against the wall. You'll also see a blocked off alley way which you can climb up the boxes and get over. Both of these will take you to the same street.

OK, now turn left out of this alley, and straightaway left which will take you out onto an open street. You'll see a building right infront of you to the right (2 o'clock from the alley you came from), head in there, past the stairs and turn left straight away. Don't make too much noise as there are PMC upstairs and outside one of the windows. Run to the end of the corridor and jump out the window. Get onto the wall opposite as there are two PMC's coming your way. Tranq them from around the corner, and they will drop. Walk up to them, and past a junction to your left. Here, two more guards will spill out. Run away and hide behind the van parked up if you can, and either take them out or just hide. Wait for them to pass and continue up the road. Turn left at the end, and you might see another guade. Tranq him then stay on the right hand side of the street, crouching low.

This should - from memory - take you to the next check point area. I'll get back to you.

Malfunky

Blacktin0 said:
No explain?
so the patriots is now controlled by an AI system?! who created it? and the ai kicked out the founders?!

The founding members of the Patriots broke away from Zero over the years, leading Zero to grow obsessed with power and control, no longer believing in passing it to the next generation. So, he put in place a system of AIs that would uphold his will even after his death and later went into hiding, having no control or realization of what the AIs would "bring to the world to ruin". Everything considered to be controlled by the Patriots was controlled by the AIs. Thus, the AIs became the Patriots of the modern MGS world.

Kuroyume

Banned
18:33:31 Solid Normal
0 Continues
1 Alert Phase (fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yoooooooooooou... I think this was in act 1)
0 Kills
30 Recovery Items Used
42 Weapon Types
148 Flashbacks
Not Used Special Items

102,000 Total Bonus
750,439 DB

That was an amazing game.

Act 1: Excellent
Act 2: Excellent
Act 3: Terrible
Act 4: Awesome
Act 5: Awesome

Blacktin0

Banned
Malfunky said:
The founding members of the Patriots broke away from Zero over the years, leading Zero to grow obsessed with power and control, no longer believing in passing it to the next generation. So, he put in place a system of AIs that would uphold his will even after his death and later went into hiding, having no control or realization of what the AIs would "bring to the world to ruin". Everything considered to be controlled by the Patriots was controlled by the AIs. Thus, the AIs became the Patriots of the modern MGS world.

Thanks! That makes sense but drebin works for the patriots and surely it could not have been the ai to instruct him to help so there must be someone else behind the AI a real person i still think the patriots are looking to control snake as he does not die there is obviously a reason for him still existing in the metal gear cannon

-viper-

Banned
Kuroyume said:
18:33:31 Solid Normal
0 Continues
1 Alert Phase (fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yoooooooooooou... I think this was in act 1)
0 Kills
30 Recovery Items Used
42 Weapon Types
148 Flashbacks
Not Used Special Items

102,000 Total Bonus
750,439 DB

That was an amazing game.

Act 1: Excellent
Act 2: Excellent
Act 3: Terrible
Act 4: Awesome
Act 5: Awesome
How the hell did you guys get 0 kills?

Can you kill Gekkos?

Can you kill those... 3 armed spherical machines?

And how the hell did you get past those
FROGS
in Act 5?

Geckos don't count as kills. I don't think the little anoying black things do either. Not sure about the flying things around
Raging Raven though. Anyone?

I have a question regarding getting the
Mantis
statue.

How do you not take off health? Once you get the Mantis Doll and attack her, it takes off health, not psych.

Also, can you use the one you got from the previous play through, or do you have to use the current one?

thanks!

finally finished.

i could easily spend some time listing numerous complaints that i have, but i won't, because every issue i have with this game is simply overshadowed by the pure win of it all.

i've always said in the past that no one should ever buy a console if they were only really interested in one game for it, but i take that back now.

Guled

KennyLinder said:
Geckos don't count as kills. I don't think the little anoying black things do either. Not sure about the flying things around

Mantis
statue.

How do you not take off health? Once you get the Mantis Doll and attack her, it takes off health, not psych.

Also, can you use the one you got from the previous play through, or do you have to use the current one?

thanks!
you could kill the beasts without counting as a kill, but you have to traq them when they get out of their suits.

Malfunky

Blacktin0 said:
Thanks! That makes sense but drebin works for the patriots and surely it could not have been the ai to instruct him to help so there must be someone else behind the AI a real person i still think the patriots are looking to control snake as he does not die there is obviously a reason for him still existing in the metal gear cannon

The AIs were designed to maintain control in the event of one of them being destroyed. If one of them was disabled, the remaining would take control of the disabled AI's duties. When GW was stolen, the remaining AIs took over its work. Liquid's apparent goal was to destroy the remaining AIs and have GW become the central AI. The Patriot AIs needed Snake to destroy GW so this wouldn't happen and, to kill Liquid. So, they sent Drebin to help him out. But, even the AIs were fooled. Not even they were aware of the plan to destroy them. To the very end, everyone thought Snake was to take out GW and Liquid leave the Patriots as the single remaining, necessary evil.

With Big Boss and Zero dead, the last remnants of the Patriots' control are gone. The end of the game was supposed to free Snake from any type of control. He's living his final days by his own will, without the burden of fighting. I don't think there's anyone left to control him.

Stalfos

KennyLinder said:

Mantis
statue.

thanks!
For the statue...
Using the Mantis Doll on her takes down both life and psych (the other doll does nothing to her since she is alive), I actually think it might take down psych all the way before the health but they fall at the same rate at least they did for me. Once she is in her beauty form the statue will be on the bottom floor in the little hallway between the elevated sections.

Can someone who's finished the game please give me an estimate of how much time I have left? I have a rare free night tonight and want to finish the game amongst other things.

I'm in Act 4 and
just defeated Crying Wolf
. Including cutscenes, how many hours do I have left?

Dave1988

Guys, where can I get a list of all the weapons in the game? I have 67 weapons collected and have no idea what or where the other two weapons are.

Stalfos

KennyLinder said:
Statue:

Is that the case for all Statues? You get them DURING the woman/beauty fight, not after?

Thanks!

The statues
you get them after fighting the beast form, but during the beauty fight, but you must have tranqed the beast forms except with mantis which you use the doll on

Stalfos

njp142 said:
Can someone who's finished the game please give me an estimate of how much time I have left? I have a rare free night tonight and want to finish the game amongst other things.

I'm in Act 4 and
just defeated Crying Wolf
. Including cutscenes, how many hours do I have left?

I'd say at least 4 hours. Depending on how much time you have tonight you should be able to finish it up.

Darkpen

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
Anyone got any tips for the Crying Wolf battle when going for no kills/alerts/healing?
always be aware of the FROGs you put to sleep within your immediate vicinity. If you hear a FROG say she hears something, immediately hit the deck, and use a tranq or emotion bullet on her.

You generally want to keep NV on at all times.

As for your equipment, I suggest the following to be on your body (unless you're doing a blind extreme run):

the rail gun, raven's grenade launcher (with ammo set to grenade), a Javelin, a Mosin Nagant, and a mk II.

Having both the grenade launcher and the javelin might be redundant, but I personally find the variety helpful if I'm being snuck up on, or if I come across Wolf but if she hasn't gotten her armor off yet.

Using a fully charged rail gun round is really your best bet, in terms of doing the most damage, unless there's a trick I haven't tried yet.

Of course, if you're aiming for a solar gun run, or if you simply prefer to not kill the beauties in either form, the mosin nagant isn't a bad weapon to use.

When they come out of their shell, and the fight turns to beast form, if you have a solar gun, use it. Otherwise, stun grenades do very very well.

Darkpen

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
Was anyone else disappointed that you couldn't watch the
Raiden | Vamp
fight as an actual cut-scene?
If you think about it, its Kojima's last joke: Here's Raiden, having an epic battle with Vamp, but you're too preoccupied to watch, and so, the spotlight is once gain taken away from Raiden.

Or at least, that seems to be what comes to mind.

glaurung

Opus Angelorum said:
Raiden | Vamp

That sequence had me begging for someone else to take control of Snake so I could watch the epic battle sequence in all of its glory.

atomico

Opus Angelorum said:
Raiden | Vamp

*raises hand*

But it was a good concept, imo. The split-screen action made the sequence all the more hectic. Without it, it might've been as boring as shooting down the metal gear RAYs in MGS2.

I was expecting to have to help raiden at some point, so every once in a while, when he was losing, I'd try to aim at top of the REX to see if I could hit Vamp from there :lol

Ok..

Act 3 chase, on Boss Extreme, trying to get the BB rank..

MY GOD >:x

Ok pleeaaaaaaaaaaase gimme some tips. I have stun grenades, shotties with v-ring, tranq gun. I swear insane luck is involved in this bit.

Slurmer

Banned
dabookerman said:
Ok..

Act 3 chase, on Boss Extreme, trying to get the BB rank..

MY GOD >:x

Ok pleeaaaaaaaaaaase gimme some tips. I have stun grenades, shotties with v-ring, tranq gun. I swear insane luck is involved in this bit.

it is definitely luck. After spending forever on it, I
finally beat it by just spamming stun grenades. After the truck flips over you, take out the 2 FROGS and then just throw stun grenades straight down. I had a white screen the entire time, and survived with a fair bit of health left. Don't forget to save after every screen, and make sure you have a full life bar for the final section.

Kuroyume

Banned
-viper- said:
How the hell did you guys get 0 kills?

Can you kill Gekkos?

Can you kill those... 3 armed spherical machines?

And how the hell did you get past those
FROGS
in Act 5?

You can kill Gekkos but shouldn't engage them if you don't want the game to go into alert mode. The only time where I killed Gekkos and a caution warning appeared on screen was in the
facility between the Crying Wolf fight and Vamp fight.
The place was crawling with the three armed machines and 4 Gekkos so I tried out
her rail gun
and saw that I could kill them without going into alert mode. You shouldn't bother killing the 3 armed machines
until the end of act 5 where you really don't have much of a choice.
If you don't care about alerts then go ahead and knock yourself out. :p They don't count as kills.

The beginning of act 5 was really annoying. I started off by equipping my tranq gun and turning on the night vision. Two frogs jump down from the left side of the
ship onto the deck
when Snake arrives. Knock both of them out with headshots from your tranq gun. If you look to the top of the screen on that side you'll see another frog up there. You can ignore her if you want since I don't think you can head up there to retrieve any weapons or guns. I knocked her out with a head shot, but you have to make sure that when you knock her out that she falls in a safe place. Sometimes she may die nearly falling over the railing or by getting hit by
shells from Mei Ling's war ship.
You should still remain in the same section after knocking those two or three out. Move over to the middle and four frogs will jump down in the path ahead of you. Knock all of them out with headshots from your tranq gun. If you're not quick enough just make sure to knock out one of them. If one of them is down the rest will head over to try and wake her up leaving them open for more of your shots. After knocking out those four, head over to the right and two frogs will appear. One jumps down onto stairs and another will jump down to or appear from the side. Wait a minute and they will both go away. Move along the right side of the
ship
and you'll see another frog standing on a platform to the upper left of the stair case where one of the previous frogs landed. Knock her out with a tranq head shot. Continue moving along the right side slowly and you'll notice two frogs appear from around the corner. If you move slowly enough they'll either not notice you at first or will just have an exclamation mark appear above their heads without going into alert. They'll head over to your direction to inspect the scene. Backpedal to the area where you started and wait until one of the frogs appears from the side. Knock that frog out and then take her partner out while she's trying to wake her up. Move back into that area and then climb the ladder that's a little bit farther from you. As soon as you reach the top two frogs will appear below you. Move along the pole near the ladder and fall down on the platform. Crouch down and wait for the frogs to disappear. As soon as they're gone look to your right and you'll see a metal vent directly across the platform. Do a roll onto the vent. It may take an attempt or two to land it so try not to make too much noise because it will attract the frogs. Once you're on the vent move along its path and you'll come to a dead end. There may be a frog above you on a platform at this point or at a platform to your right. Wait until the frog on the right leaves. The one on top seems to stick to that platform moving back and forth surveying the area so you'll just have to try and do another roll onto the platform on your right without making much noise. The platform on the right has a missile launcher so you'll land on that. Move along that platform which happens to curve right and you'll be greeted by another dead end leading to a vent. Do another roll onto there. Move along this vent. You'll crawl under a gate while moving along here. To your right there will be a handgun lying around. Pick it up. You should also hear the Gekkos making noises right about now. You've finally reached that part of the area. Move to the right of the gun and look ahead. You'll notice two frogs walking around. Equip the tranq sniper gun and take them out. Once those two are knocked out with head shots two other frogs come to wake them up. Knock those two frogs out too. The path for your entry is now clear. Jump from the vent onto the deck. Move up the right side of the
ship,
but make sure that none of the Gekkos are looking your way. Pick up the guns from the frogs if you want and then make a left turn towards the door that you're supposed to get into. Try to use the cover that's provided and really make sure that the Gekkos are not looking your way. Tap triangle rapidly and you'll be home free.

Phew... Safe to say that I played through that one a few times. It was total trial and error. It would be a bit more tolerable if the area didn't have respawning frogs. If you try and go for the ipod song and missle launcher in the space under the area where you begin you will notice that the game not only spawns new frogs but also wakes up the frogs that you had knocked out earlier. :lol Totally unfair....

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
If I use lethal weapons to defeat the beasts but use the tranq on the beauties, will that not count as a kill?

The fight between
Ray | Rex
was awesome, but it made me forget something in Act Four.

The death of
Naomi
and the utterly dismal emotive response from
Otacon
. Seriously, it was embarrassing.

It could have been a really poignant scene but it was let down by the most cringe worthy dialogue I've ever heard.

atomico

Kuroyume said:
The place was crawling with the three armed machines and 4 Gekkos

if you're avoiding alerts or just don't wanna fight, a couple chaff grenades will get you through that area easily.

(assuming you have any left, since you can't buy the damn things at the shop :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom