• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to hold-up enemies in VR Training mode - does it not work here? They don't seem to be doing anything!

Stand behind with weapon, press L1, thats it, right?

SRG01

glaurung said:
OK, so I tried going for the utter and complete stealth run of the first act.

I am freaking terrible at this.

So I need a few pointers with the area that precedes the meet-up with
Meryl's team.

I doubt any of this serves as a spoiler, but just in case.

It is the area that starts with the acquisition of the barrel. It starts out, there's bullets flying around everywhere, it's chaos.

I run along the first stretch, the local militia is friendly or neutral to my presence, I check the first alleyway for the two items and then climb the ladder up to the area with the dead rebel and a mortar launcher. I sneak around to the edge that has no wall, I tranq the three guys just below me.

Then I go back a bit and carefully tranq the four guys on either sides of the Stryker position. So good so far. Back to the ground, I either wait for the hopeless militia to score a direct hit with an RPG at the Stryker or I take it out myself. This conflict is solved.

On to the sniper building.

I approach the first fortified area with the two PMC soldiers, I tranq them from afar. Make my way into the building, either Mark II and stun the guys or wait behind the corner while one of the two guys comes to patrol and then take them out one by one. Take out the sniper on the small bridge between the buildings just outside the window, gather the loot around the area, move on.

Now it gets tricky. This is the first of the two areas that has an infinite respawn rate. It seems that no matter what I do, I cannot get past this area without alerting the enemies. I can snipe or simply shoot real accurately at the snipers on the balconies at the end of the street, but the PMC spawn points feed never ending soldiers into the two corners on the way.

How can I get past this area without a single alert.

Further on, the last alley before entering the building, where the heli comes to stir things up, how can I get past that without alerting anyone? I believe I could camp out in the hollow building just across the street from the meet-up building and wait until the air strike is over and then crawl across?

Thanks for any pointers.

If you have the disguise, you can get through this area without a single shot.

Basically, the map is like Midtown Madness (or whatever they renamed it to in MGO) so if you play online lots, you'll know the map like the back of your hand.

First thing you should do is approach forward with the disguise, then turn into the alleyway on your right. Keep going until you approach the place where the militia gets hit by the snipers. DO NOT GO forward into this area. Hang left, and there should be a crevace in the wall that you can slide between by hugging the wall. Keep navigating forward (be aware of the PMCs on your right once you hit the large opening). Dash right, then forward again and you should be facing the main road, behind the PMCs on your left. Go forward and into the building on your right. Navigate to the window in the back. Leap over it, then hit the ground and camoflauge yourself since there's a scripted PMC encounter. Once they go past you, keep going (there'll be more PMCs spawning) until you reach the end.

Steroyd

psycho_snake said:
If I use lethal weapons to defeat the beasts but use the tranq on the beauties, will that not count as a kill?

Yes it will not count on the stats, so you can rail gun thoes bitches to your hearts content. :)

Steroyd

dabookerman said:
Ok..

Act 3 chase, on Boss Extreme, trying to get the BB rank..

MY GOD >:x

Ok pleeaaaaaaaaaaase gimme some tips. I have stun grenades, shotties with v-ring, tranq gun. I swear insane luck is involved in this bit.

Which part of the chase are you upto? And holding triangle makes you hide behind Eva reducing the chances of you being shot (Eva's incincible, the perfect bodyguard).

atomico

KennyLinder said:
I am trying to hold-up enemies in VR Training mode - does it not work here? They don't seem to be doing anything!

Stand behind with weapon, press L1, thats it, right?

yup, that's how you do it, (though you don't have to be standing, really), but it won't work on virtual range dummies

Steroyd said:
Which part of the chase are you upto? And holding triangle makes you hide behind Eva reducing the chances of you being shot (Eva's incincible, the perfect bodyguard).

Triangle to guard, wow.. I did not know that, well I am just before the Raven winged thingies. I jumped over the ramp, keep dying at that bit..

Steroyd

dabookerman said:
Triangle to guard, wow.. I did not know that, well I am just before the Raven winged thingies. I jumped over the ramp, keep dying at that bit..

Spam the smoke grenades there is no other way.

Oh you're going to have fun on the Raven bit after that part I know I did. >_>

jonhuz

dabookerman said:

turn on auto-aim, press fire alot
and pray

Jesus christ.. this is pissing me off now. I know once I finish with the van, my health replenishes, but it's really starting to grate my cheese -_-

jonhuz

Steroyd said:
That definately won't get him the Big Boss emblem. :lol

It certainly helped me during the chase section, gaining the BB emblem.

Make sure you save straight after the second phase. The problems I faced were mainly after you get past the two armoured vehicles that cut your path, the frogs seem to be a crack shot at that point. Auto-aim and spamming the tranq gun made taking them down much easier.

Yeah, I'm on the second part now. I swear to god, I hope i did not get a single kill.
It's impossible for me to get a kill if all I use are the non lethal weapons right? V-ring does not explode barrels does it?

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Steroyd said:
Yes it will not count on the stats, so you can rail gun thoes bitches to your hearts content. :)
Good :)

I might wait until the firmware update and the MGS patch until I start playing this so that I can get the trophies.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
jonhuz said:
Becareful of the frogs scaling walls, tranq them too high up and they'll fall to their deaths.
I read that if the frogs fall and die it wont count count as a kill.

1stStrike

Banned
Spam smoke grenades and turn auto-aim on, but only enable it for the PMC's on the turrets. They're really hard to hit free aiming so auto-aim is definitely your friend there. Also, you can fire a tranq shot, then swap to the shotty and fire a vring if you need to.

Also, stun grenades work too if you're careful with em. If you just throw them all crazy-like then you'll just end up blinding yourself.

That should get you through there relatively easily. Also, if you spam some grenades on raven during the chase her health will be lower when you face her which means you can kill her faster (though she's still easy. surface to air missile, rpg-7 and grenade launcher ftw)

Steroyd

psycho_snake said:
Good :)

I might wait until the firmware update and the MGS patch until I start playing this so that I can get the trophies.

What is your PSN name?

That should get you through there relatively easily. Also, if you spam some grenades on raven during the chase her health will be lower when you face her which means you can kill her faster (though she's still easy. surface to air missile, rpg-7 and grenade launcher ftw)

Fully charged Rail Gun to head = near insta kill whether her health is full or not. :)

The problems I faced were mainly after you get past the two armoured vehicles that cut your path, the frogs seem to be a crack shot at that point.

It's because those bitches are shooting at point blank range, because you're trying not to kill them. :mad:

Now that I have gone through Act 1 and 2 completely stealth not interacting with anyone I feel I can finally
admit how amazing I think the gameplay in this game is w/o the cutscenes. The first time through I was
running and gunning and aside from the beginning of act 5 it felt perfect and never punished me. But now
going through completely stealth completely changes the experience. I love all the crazy stuff you catch the
soldiers doing and how creative you have to be to get the guys distracted and move away its so damn
satisfying and shows yet again that especially as a stealth game MGS is untouched.

atom631

Neo Member
what was that secret where you take a pic of the beauty and they will pose for you? when does that happen? i tried to do it after killing a beast and figured during the beauty part of the fight that would be when... nope.

Steroyd

atom631 said:
what was that secret where you take a pic of the beauty and they will pose for you? when does that happen? i tried to do it after killing a beast and figured during the beauty part of the fight that would be when... nope.

When Beauty is out of the suit and is walking to you, you have to wait for 3 minutes.

Darkpen

Banned
dabookerman said:
You used the solar gun? What are you, mad? I'm surprised you lived. That must've taken forever.

Ken Masters said:
how should I take out Raven by non lethal means?
Doing your Solar gun run?

Basically just use the Mosin Nagant, and you should be fine. Headshots obviously deal the most to her psyche, but bodyshots are fine.

if you're referring to her beauty form, well, the tranqs, stuns, and solar gun work just fine.

Darkpen said:
You used the solar gun? What are you, mad? I'm surprised you lived. That must've taken forever.

People on turrets. It works really well. Otherwise i just spammed smokies. Now for act 4. I hope the worst parts over.

Darkpen

Banned
dabookerman said:
People on turrets. It works really well. Otherwise i just spammed smokies. Now for act 4. I hope the worst parts over.
the people on turrets were easily dispatched with the twin barrel shotgun w/ v-ring when I did that part, personally. It went pretty well. But yeah, smoke grenades ftw.

I'm on my second playthrough, just going for the Fox Emblem.

Question is about an item you get for your basic first playthrough reward.
Do the "screaming/crying/laughing" rounds you can buy from Drebin for your anesthetic guns
count as "special items" for the purpose of getting emblems?

Also:
I'm worried about the final Liquid fight...If I remember correctly from my first playthrough, you couldn't save it before fighting him, any info on where I'm restarting from each time he beats me down on this play through?

so im on my Foxhound run (Big Boss Hard no alert/kill/special items) and don't have much faith in completing it in time.

Im in the beginning of Act 3 @ about 3 hours. Anyone think its possible to beat it in the required 5.5 hours Foxhound run?

I might have spent too much time in the first act (2 hours) but pretty much did the second act in 1 hour. I really want to complete Foxhound, but starting from the very beginning is a bit discouraging :|

Giant Robot said:
so im on my Foxhound run (Big Boss Hard no alert/kill/special items) and don't have much faith in completing it in time.

Im in the beginning of Act 3 @ about 3 hours. Anyone think its possible to beat it in the required 5.5 hours Foxhound run?

I might have spent too much time in the first act (2 hours) but pretty much did the second act in 1 hour. I really want to complete Foxhound, but starting from the very beginning is a bit discouraging :|

A guide I saw had the guy at
2:45 at the start of act 3. The next acts are pretty quick.

Edit:
I think you can shave a lot of time off on the Raging Raven fight if you aren't also going for the figures, just railgun her ass while she's flying around--it took me a while to kill her, but that was because I was tranq-ing her to "death".

*Joins the club*

tanbsg.jpg

Could've done act 1 alot faster.. took me almost an hour. But I managed to complete it with plenty of time to spare anyway :)

SnakeswithLasers said:
Edit:
I think you can shave a lot of time off on the Raging Raven fight if you aren't also going for the figures, just railgun her ass while she's flying around--it took me a while to kill her, but that was because I was tranq-ing her to "death".

hmmmm...
so is it wise while doing a speedrun to NOT go for the figures? I've been trying to do the Foxhound speed run on Big Boss Hard AND obtaining all the figures (tranq'ing The Frog fight and Bosses)

h3ro

Giant Robot said:
hmmmm...
so is it wise while doing a speedrun to NOT go for the figures? I've been trying to do the Foxhound speed run on Big Boss Hard AND obtaining all the figures (tranq'ing The Frog fight and Bosses)

I'm gonna do a Killing spree run first, while tranqing the bosses for the Dolls. That way I have the solar gun for the Boss Extreme run...

SnakeswithLasers said:
I'm on my second playthrough, just going for the Fox Emblem.

Question is about an item you get for your basic first playthrough reward.
Do the "screaming/crying/laughing" rounds you can buy from Drebin for your anesthetic guns
count as "special items" for the purpose of getting emblems?

Also:
I'm worried about the final Liquid fight...If I remember correctly from my first playthrough, you couldn't save it before fighting him, any info on where I'm restarting from each time he beats me down on this play through?

No, the
special rounds
do not count as special items, AFAIK. I think only the
Bandanna/Stealth
count. You can check easily though; fire some off, hit a checkpoint, save, and then load a mission briefing from the main menu.

The game prompts you to save after
the microwave run, so you are fine for that fight.

Giant Robot: I would say it would be smart not to go for them, yes.
You can do a lot more damage quickly with the M82 and Rail gun, and killing their beast forms does not count as a kill (since you just destroy the machine component.) Plus, the Solar gun does not count as a special item so you have yet another tranq-ammo weapon that recharges in any sun-lit space.

Crazymoogle said:
No, the
special rounds
do not count as special items, AFAIK. I think only the
Bandanna/Stealth
count. You can check easily though; fire some off, hit a checkpoint, save, and then load a mission briefing from the main menu.

The game prompts you to save after
the microwave run, so you are fine for that fight.

Giant Robot: I would say it would be smart not to go for them, yes.
You can do a lot more damage quickly with the M82 and Rail gun, and killing their beast forms does not count as a kill (since you just destroy the machine component.) Plus, the Solar gun does not count as a special item so you have yet another tranq-ammo weapon that recharges in any sun-lit space.

Thanks!

Anything I need to know about Crying Wolf? I mean, i'm pretty on top of it, just wondering if things like wind direction etc comes into account?
The only annoyances are the Haven Troopers really.

dabookerman said:
Anything I need to know about Crying Wolf? I mean, i'm pretty on top of it, just wondering if things like wind direction etc comes into account?
The only annoyances are the Haven Troopers really.
She'll smell you if you're up wind, blizzard intensity affects her vision, you can get a couple shots in before she goes back into her exosuit. Track her by sound, footprints and threat ring and you should be good.

That fight was really fun, on m first play through I didn't have the mosin-nagant so I did the whole thing with the tranq pistol, would have to stalk up really close to get an accurate shot in. Very much like a combination of The End and the Ocelot Unit that you fight if you kill him before you get to where you're supposed to fight.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i know everyone is on their fifth playthrough or whatever, but i just beat act iv and had to come in here to say that
return to shadow moses was incredible. starting with the jarring bounce back to mgs1 and then all the chilling feeling walking through the base just made me realize how few games really effectively even try to pull anything like that off, much less do it effectively.
game lives up to the hype and i'm not even an mgs fanboy (only have played full through mgs2, though now i plan on going back to play the rest). on to act v.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom