• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having this discussion in another forum, which game do you guys think is bigger (gameplay only), MGS3 or MGS4. I know it gets hard to quantify what "bigger" is. The way I see bigger it means more gameplay room, more gameplay options, basically more game to play. I feel that MGS4 offers more game, I think there are larger areas, more paths to take than MGS3 offers, more options in how you tackle any given section, it has more scripted events, etc. The potential to just screw around in the game world is larger than in MGS3.

Even if you just run as fast as you can through both games I think MGS4 may take longer, I think mainly cause there are many scripted events that take a certain amount of time. I dont think MGS4 is longer by much, but I think it is the biggest MGS game gameplay wise.

So what do you guys think?

MiamiWesker said:
I am having this discussion in another forum, which game do you guys think is bigger (gameplay only), MGS3 or MGS4. I know it gets hard to quantify what "bigger" is. The way I see bigger it means more gameplay room, more gameplay options, basically more game to play. I feel that MGS4 offers more game, I think there are larger areas, more paths to take than MGS3 offers, more options in how you tackle any given section, it has more scripted events, etc. The potential to just screw around in the game world is larger than in MGS3.

Even if you just run as fast as you can through both games I think MGS4 may take longer, I think mainly cause there are many scripted events that take a certain amount of time. I dont think MGS4 is longer by much, but I think it is the biggest MGS game gameplay wise.

initially i thought MGS3 had way more gameplay to offer. Lots of things to do that all differentiated itself from all the other gameply mechanics, but were pretty linear to do. first reaction to MGS4 on first playthrough was that it felt like there wasnt much to do in terms of gameplay variety. I just gunned it through for the story line, but not im going back on the second playthroughs on harder difficulty and find it way more involving than MGS3 in a non-linear way. I just miss things like hunting for food, healing yourself, hiding sodlier's body,epic boss fights, bosses had more variety/strategies in MGS3 vs. MGS4. MGS3 just felt more varied because it was more linear and forced you to do something a certain way. MGS4 feels a bit more infinite as there are endless possibilities to approach something.

Giant Robot said:
initially i thought MGS3 had way more gameplay to offer. Lots of things to do that all differentiated itself from all the other gameply mechanics, but were pretty linear to do. first reaction to MGS4 on first playthrough was that it felt like there wasnt much to do in terms of gameplay variety. I just gunned it through for the story line, but not im going back on the second playthroughs on harder difficulty and find it way more involving than MGS3 in a non-linear way. I just miss things like hunting for food, healing yourself, hiding sodlier's body,epic boss fights, bosses had more variety/strategies in MGS3 vs. MGS4. MGS3 just felt more varied because it was more linear and forced you to do something a certain way. MGS4 feels a bit more infinite as there are endless possibilities to approach something.

Yes in regards to finding secrets and easter eggs I think MGS3 crushes MGS4. I loved the amount of things you can do with all the animals you find. Like tranq a scorpion and throw it on guards. Or get a poisoned or rotten food and use it to trick Fear into eating it. Also the amount of optional codec calls was incredible, and the uses of the radio was brilliant. In that way yeah, MGS3 offers more.

MiamiWesker said:
Yes in regards to finding secrets and easter eggs I think MGS3 crushes MGS4. I loved the amount of things you can do with all the animals you find. Like tranq a scorpion and throw it on guards. Or get a poisoned or rotten food and use it to trick Fear into eating it. Also the amount of optional codec calls was incredible, and the uses of the radio was brilliant. In that way yeah, MGS3 offers more.

but if u play mgs4 again, there are TONS and TONS of stuff for you to find out on your own, and its all pretty legit things too, not just silly easter eggs. In that sense MGS3 felt "forced" or "here you go, the secrets and easter eggs are here, figure out how to reach it." whereas in MGS4 everything is there, its up to you how if you want to pursue it. The Official Guide is valuable and finding a lot of these things out in MGS4.

Act 3 boss question:

If I tranq a Slider (the flying things) during the Raging Raven boss fight do they count as kills? I know Geckos do not, so wondering about these!

BigBoss

KennyLinder said:
Act 3 boss question:

If I tranq a Slider (the flying things) during the Raging Raven boss fight do they count as kills? I know Geckos do not, so wondering about these!

Kill them all, they're machines so they don't count as kills.

MiamiWesker said:

To deviate from the "size" argument a bit, MGS3 featured the most unbalanced gameplay in the series thanks to the fact Naked Snake was a bullet-sponge, even on the higher difficulties. This alone sours some of the openness of MGS3 because there's less tension compared to MGS2 and MGS4.

On the subject of the Codec in MGS4, I noticed that the strategy guide says "there are literally hundreds of optional codec exchanges available". I've attempted to dig around for these by repeatedly calling Otacon and it seems that there are a set number of exchanges per area. Granted, you get the "Snake, hurry to the objective!" message quite often but there are definitely some interesting conversations tucked away in there. There's a good one with Rose about a ration swapmeet Campbell went to where he slyly puts down her cooking.

zoukka

In the amount of different areas and secrets MGS3 takes the cake. MGS4 has some huge singular areas, but take away the chases and such and your left with very little sneaking and exploring.

I miss the food :(

Bizzyb

Banned
Might sounds like a dumb question but how do I get the Camera??

This is mt 2nd playthrough at end of act 2 and haven't found it and don't want to have to do a 3rd playthrough to find it again

Dot50Cal

Banned
Darkpen said:
always be aware of the FROGs you put to sleep within your immediate vicinity. If you hear a FROG say she hears something, immediately hit the deck, and use a tranq or emotion bullet on her.

You generally want to keep NV on at all times.

As for your equipment, I suggest the following to be on your body (unless you're doing a blind extreme run):

the rail gun, raven's grenade launcher (with ammo set to grenade), a Javelin, a Mosin Nagant, and a mk II.

Having both the grenade launcher and the javelin might be redundant, but I personally find the variety helpful if I'm being snuck up on, or if I come across Wolf but if she hasn't gotten her armor off yet.

Using a fully charged rail gun round is really your best bet, in terms of doing the most damage, unless there's a trick I haven't tried yet.

Of course, if you're aiming for a solar gun run, or if you simply prefer to not kill the beauties in either form, the mosin nagant isn't a bad weapon to use.

When they come out of their shell, and the fight turns to beast form, if you have a solar gun, use it. Otherwise, stun grenades do very very well.

Thanks dude ;) Gonna try it again later today.

Bizzyb said:
Might sounds like a dumb question but how do I get the Camera??

This is mt 2nd playthrough at end of act 2 and haven't found it and don't want to have to do a 3rd playthrough to find it again

I believe its in the Act 2 mission briefing. You have to use the MK 2 to get it.

Doc Evils said:
Is it worth picking up the MGS2 artbook? I heard it's rare.

Depends on how much of a collector you are. Myself, I have a whopping 35 different versions of MGS, MGS2, and MGS3 as well as various other MGS shit, so I'd bite. So yeah, if you want to go hardcore and collect the rare stuff, power to you.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Have they ever released any passwords yet?

In my guide book there is a "Custom 1911" that can only be unlocked via a password. I am assuming that's a total nod to MGS3.

Another thing, have any of you emblem unlocking nuts noticed getting anything in MGO for it? Would be neat to get an eyepatch or something for MGO... :lol

Doc Evils

disappeared said:
Depends on how much of a collector you are. Myself, I have a whopping 35 different versions of MGS, MGS2, and MGS3 as well as various other MGS shit, so I'd bite. So yeah, if you want to go hardcore and collect the rare stuff, power to you.

I've wasted so much money on MGS :eek:

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Can someone help discuss Naomi with me?
I can't say I honestly understand the character and I certainly don't think she's that consistant... at least, her motivations arent clear at all.

She really was a 'bad guy' the entire time, yes? I mean, she cared; sure, she tossed a nice bone in every now and then, but she really wasn't on Snakes side. I just really don't understand her motivations though at all, it never dives into why she did the things she did, and especially why she was slowly ending her own life. Guilt? What drove her to help Liquid; get rescued, and return to him? It certainly wasn't to betray him, cause... well, she didnt. Was it really because she just felt a connection to Vamp? Was that her reasoning, to be with him? It was kind of shallow, I can't really see I get it unless she was just a badguy who was overcome by guilt but then why ask to be rescued.... to do what, sleep with Otocan, and then leave again to be with Liquid? Why was she with him in the first place, aside from being captured? Looked to me that was more her choice than anything else.

Take in mind I just completed Act 4 and have not yet completed the story.

I'm not sure I like the way she was handled. (Her or Rose for that matter). She was rendered beautifully though.

BruceLeeRoy said:
I believe its in the Act 2 mission briefing. You have to use the MK 2 to get it.
Get it during the Act 4 briefing and you get pictures included with the camera.

Photos of Sunny and Naomi

Awntawn

John Harker said:
Can someone help discuss Naomi with me?
I can't say I honestly understand the character and I certainly don't think she's that consistant... at least, her motivations arent clear at all.

She really was a 'bad guy' the entire time, yes? I mean, she cared; sure, she tossed a nice bone in every now and then, but she really wasn't on Snakes side. I just really don't understand her motivations though at all, it never dives into why she did the things she did, and especially why she was slowly ending her own life. Guilt? What drove her to help Liquid; get rescued, and return to him? It certainly wasn't to betray him, cause... well, she didnt. Was it really because she just felt a connection to Vamp? Was that her reasoning, to be with him? It was kind of shallow, I can't really see I get it unless she was just a badguy who was overcome by guilt but then why ask to be rescued.... to do what, sleep with Otocan, and then leave again to be with Liquid? Why was she with him in the first place, aside from being captured? Looked to me that was more her choice than anything else.

Take in mind I just completed Act 4 and have not yet completed the story.

I'm not sure I like the way she was handled. (Her or Rose for that matter). She was rendered beautifully though.
Finish the game then come back ;o

Well, I took the plunge today and ordered an 80gb MGS4 bundle off ebay. I couldnt resist cause I had a 10% off coupon, plus microsoft's 25% cashback.. it cost me 390 bucks.

I hated MGS3 though, I hope you fanboys didn't lead me astray :p

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
teh_J0kerer said:
I hated MGS3 though, I hope you fanboys didn't lead me astray :p

What was it that you didn't like about MGS3? Not meant to bicker was curious if you'd share complaints with 4.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Awntawn said:
Finish the game then come back ;o

ha, i just saw the Act 5 mission briefing and while it doesn't completely address my point, i certainly should have waited a bit ;)

i'll be back!

kozmo7 said:
What was it that you didn't like about MGS3? Not meant to bicker was curious if you'd share complaints with 4.

I already kinda posted this earlier in the thread, but the main thing I didnt like was that the game was trying to emphasize stealth but

a) sneaking around without getting caught is very very hard.

b) if you do get caught, running around stabbing everyone in the face is trivial.

This makes stealth totally pointless. I might as well just stab everyone. But the stabbing isnt fun, so the game falls apart.

Compare to thief, where its possible but interesting and challenging to sneak by everyone, but if you do get caught, you die.

teh_J0kerer said:
I already kinda posted this earlier in the thread, but the main thing I didnt like was that the game was trying to emphasize stealth but

a) sneaking around without getting caught is very very hard.

b) if you do get caught, running around stabbing everyone in the face is trivial.

This makes stealth totally pointless. I might as well just stab everyone. But the stabbing isnt fun, so the game falls apart.

Compare to thief, where its possible but interesting and challenging to sneak by everyone, but if you do get caught, you die.
You fallen into the same hole most people fall in.

You played it on easy.

I've done hard without getting spotted and killing minimal people. So stealth works all the way.
If you're spotted on hard difficulty, you'll get raped like you would in Thief.

Messing around the game I came up with the Human Rage Bomb. Basically a human strapped with C4 infused with rage, makes for a funny weapon, check it out in the MGS4 pics thread.

Iaido Sword said:
You fallen into the same hole most people fall in.

You played it on easy.

I've done hard without getting spotted and killing minimal people. So stealth works all the way.
If you're spotted on hard difficulty, you'll get raped like you would in Thief.

Note I didnt complain that the whole game was too easy. Its the overall balancing that was broken. The emphasized game mechanic, stealth, was too hard, while the unemphasized one, stabbing, was too easy.

Who cares if some number of times after you beat the game you can whip through hard without getting caught. That's called memorization.

AKS

teh_J0kerer said:
Note I didnt complain that the whole game was too easy. Its the overall balancing that was broken. The emphasized game mechanic, stealth, was too hard, while the unemphasized one, stabbing, was too easy.

Who cares if some number of times after you beat the game you can whip through hard without getting caught. That's called memorization.

Stabbing is not "too easy" on The Boss Extreme. You have to use stealth or you will get destroyed. Getting the top emblems is actually quite an accomplishment.

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
I suck at pretty much all games except Mario and Bubble Bobble. Will I be able to beat MGS4 on Easy mode?

Rocket786

Hey guys, I have a couple story questions that I'd appreciate if you can help me answer.

1. Did Eva know that wasn't Big Boss's corpse that she was securing? It seemed like she was in on the plan to free Big Boss. If that is the case why was Ocelot attacking her? Technically wasn't he also in on the plan to free Big Boss as well?

2. Was Ocelot good or bad? I don't mean to make it so black and white, but I'm just curious if his plans about destroying JD were genuine. It seems like he wasn't really possessed by Liquid and went under hypnotism to make the patriots believe he was Liquid... Why? If he wasn't possessed, then once again, why attack Eva? After Snake uploades the virus into GW, Ocelot said that is exactly what he wanted... I'm guessing uploading the virus essentially had the same effect as destroying JD would have; which would be the end of the Patriot's system?

3. I forgot how GW was still linked to the Patriot's system. I know that the Patriots thought the system was gone and declared it dead. But GW was under the control of Ocelot and he rebuilt it after taking the virus out that Emma uploaded. So GW still had the same access it had before but JD didn't recognize it, because GW was supposed to be dead. So if they destroyed JD, GW would have ultimate authority over the other systems right? Did I just answer my own question or is there more to it?

4. Big Boss and Zero. Here he explains that Naomi, Eva, and Ocelot wanted to free him from his cryogenic system (this happens once the Patriot's system goes down). Why did he have to kill Zero? I understand Zero was the cause of this whole thing, but he was pretty old and useless by that time. Essentially I'd like to know a cliff notes version of the Big Boss and Snake convo at the end.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Bit-Bit

A00man said:
Hey guys, I have a couple story questions that I'd appreciate if you can help me answer.

1. Did Eva know that wasn't Big Boss's corpse that she was securing? It seemed like she was in on the plan to free Big Boss. If that is the case why was Ocelot attacking her? Technically wasn't he also in on the plan to free Big Boss as well?

2. Was Ocelot good or bad? I don't mean to make it so black and white, but I'm just curious if his plans about destroying JD were genuine. It seems like he wasn't really possessed by Liquid and went under hypnotism to make the patriots believe he was Liquid... Why? If he wasn't possessed, then once again, why attack Eva? After Snake uploades the virus into GW, Ocelot said that is exactly what he wanted... I'm guessing uploading the virus essentially had the same effect as destroying JD would have; which would be the end of the Patriot's system?

3. I forgot how GW was still linked to the Patriot's system. I know that the Patriots thought the system was gone and declared it dead. But GW was under the control of Ocelot and he rebuilt it after taking the virus out that Emma uploaded. So GW still had the same access it had before but JD didn't recognize it, because GW was supposed to be dead. So if they destroyed JD, GW would have ultimate authority over the other systems right? Did I just answer my own question or is there more to it?

4. Big Boss and Zero. Here he explains that Naomi, Eva, and Ocelot wanted to free him from his cryogenic system (this happens once the Patriot's system goes down). Why did he have to kill Zero? I understand Zero was the cause of this whole thing, but he was pretty old and useless by that time. Essentially I'd like to know a cliff notes version of the Big Boss and Snake convo at the end.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

1. They were both acting. They had to make it seem like their motives were something else entirely different than reviving Big Boss and bringing down the AIs. Eva knew that she was going to die from Fox Die anyways so she jumped into the fire.

2. Ocelot is a good guy. Him and Eva had to fool everyone, including Snake and the Patriots. Everyone thinks that Ocelot is just trying to take over the system. In reality he was making the ultimate sacrifice for the world by eliminating the Patriots control. He pretends to be Liquid in order to get Snake involve.

3. GW is part of a four part system. That system functions under the control of JD. Ocelot used GW in order to get into the system since GW is the only known AI that can communicate with the other AIs. Also, the intention was never to take over the system. It was to destroy all of it using GW as a gateway into the system.

4. Big Boss killed Zero as a symbolism that the reign of the Patriots were finally over. Not just the AIs but all of the founders of the Patriots died. Big Boss showed this to Snake in a symbolic way by killing Zero and resetting the world.

A00man said:
questions
Answers:
1. The game isn't clear about her exact feelings toward Ocelot. It seems plausible that at the end she thought he was "lost" in the false Liquid persona, because as you said he certainly makes a good attempt at killing her and Snake. As for why she'd jump for the body, either she still wanted spare parts for Big Boss, or she felt some remorse over having disassembled Solidus.

2. I think the game leaves the extent of the "Liquid Ocelot" persona's control up in the air. Like you say, he came awfully close to blowing the whole plan a couple times. But this level of commitment was necessary, because otherwise the hyperintelligent Patriot AIs would've caught on that it was all a trap, and they would've stopped helping Solid Snake. And yes, the AIs are well and truly destroyed at the end.

3. You answered this yourself.

4. Big Boss believes that even with Zero so old (105!), with any symbol to rally around the Patriots could return as a group, even if the AIs are gone. That's why Zero and himself have to die. Whether he's correct about this isn't the point; this is a character moment about what sort of man Naked Snake is. The entire theme of the game is redemption...virtually every character achieves it.

Edit: beaten.

Dez

Bit-Bit said:
2. Ocelot is a good guy. Him and Eva had to fool everyone, including Snake and the Patriots. Everyone thinks that Ocelot is just trying to take over the system. In reality he was making the ultimate sacrifice for the world by eliminating the Patriots control. He pretends to be Liquid in order to get Snake involve.

I fail to see the reason why Ocelot would need Snake's involvement at all? Ocelot already had Naomi with him. Snake didn't do anything in MGS4 that Ocelot couldn't have done himself. Unless you propose that Ocelot wanted to get Sunny involved through Snake.. :lol

Bit-Bit

Dez said:
I fail to see the reason why Ocelot would need Snake's involvement at all? Ocelot already had Naomi with him. Snake didn't do anything in MGS4 that Ocelot couldn't have done himself. Unless you propose that Ocelot wanted to get Sunny involved through Snake.. :lol

Naomi couldn't finish the virus though. Ocelot knew this. Remember that Vamp was on the phone in act 2 and Ocelot says "It's all part of the plan."? So yeah, Snake was the one to end up with the Fox Alive and Ocelot needed to distract the Patriots from it. Remember, everyone thought that the Virus was just going to stop GW. But it ended up putting an end to the Patriots. If the Patriots knew this was coming, they would've devised some plan to stop their demise.

Dez

Bit-Bit said:
Naomi couldn't finish the virus though. Ocelot knew this. Remember that Vamp was on the phone in act 2 and Ocelot says "It's all part of the plan."? So yeah, Snake was the one to end up with the Fox Alive and Ocelot needed to distract the Patriots from it. Remember, everyone thought that the Virus was just going to stop GW. But it ended up putting an end to the Patriots. If the Patriots knew this was coming, they would've devised some plan to stop their demise.

Well the problem is that Ocelot couldn't have had much idea about Sunny's programming ability at all until after Naomi returned to him..so why did Naomi go to Snake in the first place? Maybe she wanted to enlist the help of Otacon, until she discovered Sunny.. And why couldn't Naomi have just given the completed virus directly to Ocelot? I just hate that as Snake, in his last mission, the player didn't contribute anything.

Bit-Bit

Dez said:
Well the problem is that Ocelot couldn't have had much idea about Sunny's programming ability at all until after Naomi returned to him..so why did Naomi go to Snake in the first place? Maybe she wanted to enlist the help of Otacon, until she discovered Sunny.. And why couldn't Naomi have just given the completed virus directly to Ocelot? I just hate that as Snake, in his last mission, the player didn't contribute anything.

Remember Naomi thought that Otacon unencrypted her message. After talking to Otacon she realizes that Sunny is the true genius. So when she went back to Ocelot, she finally found peace when Sunny told her that she "Made it just right". That was the secret message to let Naomi know that Fox Alive was completed. And again, Ocelot needed Snake to do it because the Patriots had to truly believe that what Snake did was to help them. Not destroy them.

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
TheBranca18 said:
It's really hard to die on Easy mode. Believe me I've tried.

Thanks for the reply--sounds good.

Another question--and this may be a dumb one--but I understand that you can unlock a ton of stuff in the game (masks, costumes, weapons)... Once you beat the game, can you replay it with all that stuff still unlocked/accessible?

Rocket786

Bit-Bit said:
Remember Naomi thought that Otacon unencrypted her message. After talking to Otacon she realizes that Sunny is the true genius. So when she went back to Ocelot, she finally found peace when Sunny told her that she "Made it just right". That was the secret message to let Naomi know that Fox Alive was completed. And again, Ocelot needed Snake to do it because the Patriots had to truly believe that what Snake did was to help them. Not destroy them.

That makes sense, but what was really stopping Ocelot from putting the virus in himself? He didn't want to blow his cover with the Patriots? What could the Patriots have done to him at that point. He controlled SOP so they really couldn't have manipulated him in any way. I guess they could have figured out something was up and implemented some fail safe for their system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom