• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stStrike

Banned
BIG BUBBA said:
Thanks for the reply--sounds good.

Another question--and this may be a dumb one--but I understand that you can unlock a ton of stuff in the game (masks, costumes, weapons)... Once you beat the game, can you replay it with all that stuff still unlocked/accessible?

Yea, after you beat the game you can load your clear save data and when you meet up with the MK II you get all your stuff back.

Easy mode is really..easy. I played it on easy and had something like 64 rations when I beat the game and didn't even use a single one the entire time without really trying.

I'm going on a no-alert run on The Boss Extreme right now, but I'm slitting as many throats as I can because I want that Altair outfit. Act 2 is kicking my ass ;_;

A00man said:
Question:
That makes sense, but what was really stopping Ocelot from putting the virus in himself? He didn't want to blow his cover with the Patriots? What could the Patriots have done to him at that point. He controlled SOP so they really couldn't have manipulated him in any way. I guess they could have figured out something was up and implemented some fail safe for their system?
Answer:
By the time the virus is created, the Patriot AIs know Ocelot has GW--remember, Philanthropy and Solid Snake are being watched by the AIs (through Rat Patrol 01 and presumably other means). They're allowed to continue because the AIs expect that they'll stop Ocelot before he can take over the world. And they do. But the AIs are so concentrated on killing off the rebel human Patriots via FoxDie, and physically smashing Outer Haven, that they don't notice that Ocelot didn't plan on taking over the world at all; he planned on rebooting it by hotshotting the virus into something that'll kill the entire system. Despite their (literally) inhuman intelligence and cunning, they probably just didn't expect that he'd be willing to reduce the world to savagery by wrecking all modern infrastructure. But, inspired by The Boss, he's that idealistic. What no one expected was that Sunny would figure out a way to eliminate the higher functions of the AIs but keep the essentials.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
BlockBastard said:
I'm going on a no-alert run on The Boss Extreme right now, but I'm slitting as many throats as I can because I want that Altair outfit. Act 2 is kicking my ass ;_;

You know you can get the Altair costume on an easier difficulty right? Thought the only reason to play on The Boss Extreme was for Big Boss emblem and nothing else. (as everything else can be done on lower difficulties for ease)

kozmo7 said:
You know you can get the Altair costume on an easier difficulty right? Thought the only reason to play on The Boss Extreme was for Big Boss emblem and nothing else. (as everything else can be done on lower difficulties for ease)

Yeah, I know, but playing on easier difficulties is SMALL TIME.

Liabe Brave said:
Answer:
By the time the virus is created, the Patriot AIs know Ocelot has GW--remember, Philanthropy and Solid Snake are being watched by the AIs (through Rat Patrol 01 and presumably other means). They're allowed to continue because the AIs expect that they'll stop Ocelot before he can take over the world. And they do. But the AIs are so concentrated on killing off the rebel human Patriots via FoxDie, and physically smashing Outer Haven, that they don't notice that Ocelot didn't plan on taking over the world at all; he planned on rebooting it by hotshotting the virus into something that'll kill the entire system. Despite their (literally) inhuman intelligence and cunning, they probably just didn't expect that he'd be willing to reduce the world to savagery by wrecking all modern infrastructure. But, inspired by The Boss, he's that idealistic. What no one expected was that Sunny would figure out a way to eliminate the higher functions of the AIs but keep the essentials.

Great Answers.... WOW

Thanks for helping clear some things up

01072008292.jpg

Yeahhhhhhh.

I also have 65 weapons, and the only 4 I'm missing are the coloured smokies. Now for my chicken run!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Liabe Brave said:
Answer:

I think that Ocelot changed his plans once he learned about the new virus and that his original plans were really about destroying JD with REX's rail-gun nuke and using GW to take control of (and maybe destroy) the entire network of A.I.'s.

AmMortal

Banned
Some( most of you) might not know this, and shame on you if you don't lol .

Sorry if it's off topic, but you guys have got to read this;

David Hayter(Snake) responds to the petitions and Sony Pictures.

DAVID HAYTER said:
Dear The Devil,

I do sincerely appreciate all the fan support that has gone into this petition, it means a lot to me.

However, as you know by now, any time you put something up on the web, there will be people who don't agree with you, nihilists who don't believe you can accomplish anything by trying, and idiots who put out false, or misunderstood information to convince themselves that everything sucks (there is no time travel in my Metal Gear outline, and Mr. Kojima never declined anything, at least, not to me.)

Finally, I have already worked hard for this script. I put together an excellent, true-to-the-property pitch that should have been a no-brainer for the powers that be. They didn't hire me, and now the fans are mounting a backlash. If it works, and they bring me on-board, I will repay everyone by working my ass off to create the Metal Gear film that everyone wants. In the meantime, I have a ton of other work to do, and I will not bang my head against a wall, trying to get people who didn't hire me, to do so. If they don't want what I'm offering, that's their loss.

I'm sure you understand,

Looks like the movie is gonna suck, since they denied a true to the property pitch. I say let's boycott the movie, deny it's existence. Unless they hire David Hayter for it.

David is a hero man.
I really hope he gets hired :(

Seriously, I don't see why they can't give him a chance. If he writes it, this may be a really good movie, at least to us fans. I'm guessing all they want to do is just dumb it down, write their own crap, and crap all over the movie. Kojima should of made a clause saying they can only make the movie if David writes it.

Steroyd

Jack Scofield said:
Chicken Requirements-
Alert Phases: over 150
Kills: over 500
Continues: over 50
Total time: over 35 hours
Healing items used: over 50

Taken from GameFAQs.

FUCK!

I thought it was just complete the game in over 30 hours, or was that another emblem? O_O

Ah well at least I got the Cardboard box for an hour and stick to wall for an hour requirements in my current playthrough.

What is the best difficulty for the Chicken run, all signs point to The Boss Extreme. :lol

wotter

Just completed the game on solid normal with 0 continues/kills/alerts/healing items used in 5h20m. Already a great achievement for me since I'm a MGS rookie. Perhaps I'll do the chicken run next.

Steroyd said:
FUCK!

I thought it was just complete the game in over 30 hours, or was that another emblem? O_O

Ah well at least I got the Cardboard box for an hour and stick to wall for an hour requirements in my current playthrough.

What is the best difficulty for the Chicken run, all signs point to The Boss Extreme. :lol

Can be any really. I am gonna play on normal I think, or BB Hard.

Steroyd

dabookerman said:
Can be any really. I am gonna play on normal I think, or BB Hard.

I know it's doable on any difficulty, but i want the best difficulty where I could more or less get those stats more "naturally" rather than force my self into over 50 continues.

rhino4evr

ok, i have been avoiding this thread in fear of spoilers. but i have a question.

I just finished the first boss (awesome).

I killed her using regular bullets, is there a difference in ending if I just use tranquilizers?

h3ro

rhino4evr said:
ok, i have been avoiding this thread in fear of spoilers. but i have a question.

I killed her using regular bullets, is there a difference in ending if I just use tranquilizers?

no,
only difference is if you want to get the solar gun, you need to kill the boss in the beast form using only tranq weapons and collect the doll located somewhere around the boss level...

wotter

rhino4evr said:

Killing beast form using non-lethal weapons: statue of the beast (collect four from the beast + one from the frogs in act 1 and get the solar gun)
Killing beauty form using non-lethal weapons: get facecamo of her.

rhino4evr

ok, i read some where that you get a special item or something? is it worth going back and playing again for the item?

Also just want to add that so far this game has surpassed my expectations. It's fantastic.

wotter said:
Killing beast form using non-lethal weapons: statue of the beast (collect four from the beast + one from the frogs in act 1 and get the solar gun)
Killing beauty form using non-lethal weapons: get facecamo of her.

To get the
Solar Gun do you have to collect all 5 in one play through?

Slurmer

Banned
rhino4evr said:

there is a small difference in the ending of each fight. Unless I was imagining things,
using lethal means leads to a scene where the beauty burns up like the FROGS when you kill them, and using non-lethal means leads to white flower petals shooting from them

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I just beat the game last night. Everything about this game was top notch. It's a hardcore gamers game. I'm not a huge Metal Gear fan, but it's by far the best game in the series imo.

Story - The story is great at drawing you into the environment and making you become attached to the characters, particularly Snake and Raiden. They really felt like heroes. I haven't felt this attached to characters since Zelda:TWW.

Graphics - Move over Uncharted, because MGS4 is sitting right next to you at the top of the list for PS3 games. This is a game that you really have to see in motion to appreciate, but there is a ton of stuff going on around you at all times. It makes a huge difference and really helps pull you into the world.

Sound - The sound effects in this game trumps any other game I've played in a long time. The sound engineers on this game deserve some serious recognition. If you have a home theater system, you need to play this game. The sounds of war - bullets whirring by and explosions just in earshot are haunting. Every sound you hear is very realistic, even the sound of Snakes boots moving through the dirt - you can literally hear the stirred up dust land on the ground when Gekkos walk by. The effects on the boss voices creeped me out as well. What makes all of these sounds really stand out though is the surround. You can hear exactly what direction an enemy is coming at you from, whether it be a vehicle or foot soldier, you know you better hide quick! All in all, I can't say enough about the sound, and if there was one thing that puts this game over the other top tier games this gen, it's the sound. I really can't say enough good things about it. It makes that much of a difference. Kojima and his boys did their homework.

Gameplay - I really didn't start getting the hang of the controls until the game was over. It's a lot better than what it was before. It still doesn't have that pick up and play feel like Gears of War or Zelda, but it's much better. What makes up for it though is the variety of gameplay. Throughout the game, they keep adding new twists to the stealth to keep it feeling fresh. You can also go in guns a blazing if you want (good luck trying to do that in the last level though) which is where the weapons management program comes in. This gameplay variety reminded me a lot of RE4.

All in all this was a fantastic game, and like Gears of War, Call of Duty 4 and Resident Evil 4, it actually meets the hype that surrounds it. If you own a PS3, this game needs to be in your collection.

hirokazu

Slurmer said:
there is a small difference in the ending of each fight. Unless I was imagining things,
using lethal means leads to a scene where the beauty burns up like the FROGS when you kill them, and using non-lethal means leads to white flower petals shooting from them
Oh wow, I've never actually killed them before, totally didn't know this. So much stuff to try in this game.

Wow. I just noticed when your crawling around that snakes toes in his boots bend and curl against the ground
to push off. So much ridiculous detail.

MadOdorMachine said:
I just beat the game last night. Everything about this game was top notch. It's a hardcore gamers game. I'm not a huge Metal Gear fan, but it's by far the best game in the series imo.

Story - The story is great at drawing you into the environment and making you become attached to the characters, particularly Snake and Raiden. They really felt like heroes. I haven't felt this attached to characters since Zelda:TWW.

Graphics - Move over Uncharted, because MGS4 is sitting right next to you at the top of the list for PS3 games. This is a game that you really have to see in motion to appreciate, but there is a ton of stuff going on around you at all times. It makes a huge difference and really helps pull you into the world.

Sound - The sound effects in this game trumps any other game I've played in a long time. The sound engineers on this game deserve some serious recognition. If you have a home theater system, you need to play this game. The sounds of war - bullets whirring by and explosions just in earshot are haunting. Every sound you hear is very realistic, even the sound of Snakes boots moving through the dirt - you can literally hear the stirred up dust land on the ground when Gekkos walk by. The effects on the boss voices creeped me out as well. What makes all of these sounds really stand out though is the surround. You can hear exactly what direction an enemy is coming at you from, whether it be a vehicle or foot soldier, you know you better hide quick! All in all, I can't say enough about the sound, and if there was one thing that puts this game over the other top tier games this gen, it's the sound. I really can't say enough good things about it. It makes that much of a difference. Kojima and his boys did their homework.

Gameplay - I really didn't start getting the hang of the controls until the game was over. It's a lot better than what it was before. It still doesn't have that pick up and play feel like Gears of War or Zelda, but it's much better. What makes up for it though is the variety of gameplay. Throughout the game, they keep adding new twists to the stealth to keep it feeling fresh. You can also go in guns a blazing if you want (good luck trying to do that in the last level though) which is where the weapons management program comes in. This gameplay variety reminded me a lot of RE4.

All in all this was a fantastic game, and like Gears of War, Call of Duty 4 and Resident Evil 4, it actually meets the hype that surrounds it. If you own a PS3, this game needs to be in your collection.

Totally agree with you man especially with regards to the sound. It cant be stated enough how good this game sounds.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
HOLY FUCK AT CHAPTER 4 OPENING....
"Best is yet to come" audio-over!?? So damn awesome! Shame there are no guard patrols, this section BEGS for a VR mission remake of MGS1/bonus challenges. Those little robots are lame replacements.

AKS

BruceLeeRoy said:
Totally agree with you man especially with regards to the sound. It cant be stated enough how good this game sounds.

Is there a game with better sound? Bioshock and Call of Duty 4 sounded great, but I've never heard sound as impressive as in Metal Gear Solid 4.

major help needed with CQC and a certain boss

every time I take down vamp and I try to perform CQC, the syringe is equipped and when I press R1 all I ever do is throw him down every time, I tried pressing and holding R1 when he gets up and just pressing it once, all I ever do is just throw him down

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Just finished act 1 on my big boss hard foxhound emblem run. It took me one hour too complete; is that good or bad?

AKS said:
Is there a game with better sound? Bioshock and Call of Duty 4 sounded great, but I've never heard sound as impressive as in Metal Gear Solid 4.

No.
-The bullets whizzing by in Act 1 and 2
-The echo of your steps in Act 3
-And the sound of
whipping snow
in Act 4

Yeah no game touches it.

Stalfos

Ken Masters said:

every time I take down vamp and I try to perform CQC, the syringe is equipped and when I press R1 all I ever do is throw him down every time, I tried pressing and holding R1 when he gets up and just pressing it once, all I ever do is just throw him down

I guess my only suggestion would be to not touch the control stick, maybe you keep hitting a direction on it?

Ken Masters said:

Make sure your grabbing him from behind or else it wont work.

Brandon F said:
"Best is yet to come" audio-over!?? So damn awesome! Shame there are no guard patrols, this section BEGS for a VR mission remake of MGS1/bonus challenges. Those little robots are lame replacements.

Seriously I started teering up at that part.

Brandon F said:

one of my all time favorite moments in gaming

Struct09

Ken Masters said:

I had that problem too, and I was able to
grab him after I equipped a one handed weapon. It didn't seem to work when I had the M4 equipped.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Struct09 said:
I had that problem too, and I was able to
grab him after I equipped a one handed weapon. It didn't seem to work when I had the M4 equipped.

I just
equipped no weapon

Brandon F said:

Surely I can't be the only guy here who actually got choked up at that part.

AKS

Ken Masters said:

Try "killing" him when he's close to you, running behind him before he stands back up, and ONLY PRESSING THE R1 BUTTON to grab him. The analog stick has to be in a neutral position at the time you press R1 or you will throw instead of hold him. Give him a good jab in the neck with the syringe from there.

disappeared said:

My mouth was pretty much cranked open, quite large.
The end had me reaching for the tissues to wipe tears, but this one had me reaching tissues for another reason. I just broke into a smile, and was like, SHIT, I WANT TO TELL SOMEONE >_<

disappeared said:

Nope.
I know some people are saying the play on nostalgia is heavy handed in MGS4 but I fell for it time and
time again. As evidenced by my teenage girl sessions of weeping.

dabookerman said:
My mouth was pretty much cranked open, quite large.
The end had me reaching for the tissues to wipe tears, but this one had me reaching tissues for another reason. I just broke into a smile, and was like, SHIT, I WANT TO TELL SOMEONE >_<

Whats so amazing about that moment is it only truly works if you were there for MGS1 there for the hype
there for the "amazing" graphics of that first level where you rise on the elevator. Its quite amazing and
nothing that has ever been done in a game ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom