• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoukka

AKS said:
Is there a game with better sound? Bioshock and Call of Duty 4 sounded great, but I've never heard sound as impressive as in Metal Gear Solid 4.

Bad Company takes the cake easily. MGS4 is probably the second best at mimicking the sounds of battle.

But my favourite sounds of all time can be found in Silent Hill 3. Konami!

I know some people are saying the play on nostalgia is heavy handed in MGS4 but...

Well it is. That doesn't mean it takes away from that awesome sequence, but most of MGS4:s emotional rushes come from remembering the old games. Not from the new scenes.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
zoukka said:
Bad Company takes the cake easily. MGS4 is probably the second best at mimicking the sounds of battle.

But my favourite sounds of all time can be found in Silent Hill 3. Konami!

Bad Company is wayyyyyy too frontloaded. I prefer the soundscape of MGS4.

zoukka

chubigans said:
Bad Company is wayyyyyy too frontloaded. I prefer the soundscape of MGS4.

Lol once you notice that all the sounds in BC change real time depending where you are, and the actual background noices comes from actual fighting the fight is over. Honestly I think it's a generation ahead of it's time.

Bricfa

zoukka said:
Huh? I played the SP demo, and the sound seemed very lacking. The explosions and such seemed very weak.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
damn; well maybe i'll just pick up the original subsistence then. already played through mgs2 so essentials isn't that essential i suppose. works with ps3 yes?

atomico

AstroLad said:
So if I get the Essentials I get the 8-bit metal gears too?

no you don't.

the mgs essentials only includes the first disc of the original subsistence pack

no msx emulators, no boss time trial, no secret theater, no mgs online

edit: beaten miserably

dabookerman said:
My mouth was pretty much cranked open, quite large.
The end had me reaching for the tissues to wipe tears, but this one had me reaching tissues for another reason. I just broke into a smile, and was like, SHIT, I WANT TO TELL SOMEONE >_<

That's pretty much how I felt as well.
The begining of ACT 4
is one of my favorite moments in gaming. It sucked too because, everyone I know with a PS3 is still waiting on something to play this. One friend still wants to beat GTA. Another has major tendinitis and can't. the list goes on and on. I just sat there ... in awe ... wishing that someone else was feeling like this when I was.

I just recently finished the game. I can't think of many other games that sit on the same plateau as MGS4. There were just sooo many great moments in the game. As far as single player experiences go, this is my absolute favorite of this gen.

zoukka

Bricfa said:
Huh? I played the SP demo, and the sound seemed very lacking. The explosions and such seemed very weak.

You do have multiple speakers and a subwoofer?

I agree that the explosions don't go off so high pitched and loud as in many games but everything else from gunfire, to incoming projectiles is fantastic. And the sound of incoming tanks is straight from the scene in Saving Private Ryan :D

The game also has realistic echoes and like I said, there's no scripted background noise at all, not including animals and wind.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
atomico said:
no you don't.

the mgs essentials only includes the first disc of the original subsistence pack

no msx emulators, no boss time trial, no secret theater, no mgs online

edit: beaten miserably

This is the right one yes?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
zoukka said:
You do have multiple speakers and a subwoofer?

I agree that the explosions don't go off so high pitched and loud as in many games but everything else from gunfire, to incoming projectiles is fantastic. And the sound of incoming tanks is straight from the scene in Saving Private Ryan :D

The game also has realistic echoes and like I said, there's no scripted background noise at all, not including animals and wind.

It might be more technically impressive, but it doesnt sound as good to me. I have two subs, and 7.1 sound running through HDMI.

zoukka

chubigans said:
It might be more technically impressive, but it doesnt sound as good to me. I have two subs, and 7.1 sound running through HDMI.

What do you mean by that? Of course we don't include music here and such so how can technically better sound, sound worse?

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Baryn said:
Good. Act 1 is the hardest to burn through.
Good :)

I think I can get it done under the time limit. My only concern is the bosses. Laughing octupus is fine, but both raging raven and crying wolf took me forever to do the first time through.

Anyone else do the chicken run as described in the strategy guide. The amount of choas I have done is crazy, I lay waste to everything I see but I kind of have to hold people up and CQC them a lot first.

psycho_snake said:

I think I can get it done under the time limit. My only concern is the bosses. Laughing octupus is fine, but both raging raven and crying wolf took me forever to do the first time through.

I was under the impression that you can use lethal weapons for the boss fights while they are in beast form? You just have to finish off the beauty form with with non lethal means.

Do you have to tranq them the whole time?

Fenderputty said:
I was under the impression that you can use lethal weapons for the boss fights while they are in beast form? You just have to finish off the beauty form with with non lethal means.

No, you can "kill" them in beast form.

Fenderputty said:

If you use lethal weapons in their beast forms, but tranq them in their beauty form you will only get their Face Camo.

If you use tranqs to defeat them in BOTH forms you will get their Face Camo AND their doll (collect all dolls to get the Solar Gun). But you have to find the doll during their beauty form

Both ways will count as NON KILLS

Giant Robot said:
If you use lethal weapons in their beast forms, but tranq them in their beauty form you will only get their Face Camo.

If you use tranqs to defeat them in BOTH forms you will get their Face Camo AND their doll (collect all dolls to get the Solar Gun). But you have to find the doll during their beauty form

Both ways will count as NON KILLS

So, I should run through the game on normal difficulty and get the face camo's and the solar gun. Then I make a third run through the game to try and get a time of less then 5.5 hours on hard.

Ok ... thank you so much.

Steroyd

psycho_snake said:

Raging raven shouldn't be a problem, rail gun her ass. /broken record

Crying wolf...well good luck with that, all I can offer in advice is that when she comes out of her suit you can snipe her 3 times, after the third time, try and hit her power cell on the side to do that bit more damage.

jsrv

Just managed to get the game. Maybe it's just my eyes, but it looks almost as good as it does on my friend's Samsung Series 6 46" LCD HDTV. (I'm using an old SDTV with 480i) The text is a little blurry though.

Jeff-DSA

jsrv said:
Just managed to get the game. Maybe it's just my eyes, but it looks almost as good as it does on my friend's Samsung Series 6 46" LCD HDTV. (I'm using an old SDTV with 480i) The text is a little blurry though.

It's just your eyes.

jett

D-Member
jsrv said:

It looks really good in SD. Easily the best-looking game on my SDTV yet, image quality is really perfect.

bathala

Banned
just got the game from gamefly yesterday. damn how many restart did i don the first soldiers just not to be found.

then when u get the solid eye and mkii, it went well. I like lethal sneaking (sniping, shooting with suppressor)

I love Drebin store. Short call from ammos

AKS

Steroyd said:
Raging raven shouldn't be a problem, rail gun her ass. /broken record

Crying wolf...well good luck with that, all I can offer in advice is that when she comes out of her suit you can snipe her 3 times, after the third time, try and hit her power cell on the side to do that bit more damage.

Wolf question:
What would be the best weapon against Wolf on an Extreme run? .50 cal sniper rifle after tranqing the FROGS? Need the quickest possible way to kill her. She's one of my favorite MGS bosses, but it's not so enjoyable to fight her with a time limit.

Another question about the
Drebin
face mask

I'm on act 5 and everything is 1/2 off and I start buying a lot of weapons and then I hear the monkey make a different sound when I bought a weapon but checked to see if it was unlocked. How woul I know when I get the 60 items?

edit: I still don't have, do I have to buy pretty much everything in the store?

Why do people use the rail gun anyways? The 50 cal sniper rilfe is far better because it doesn't need to charge. I spent most of my time
watching Vamp and Raiden fight instead of killing Geckos
because I killed them so fast.

deepbrown

I'm back! :D

MGS4 is the shit.

MIDDLEEASTMILITIASAFEHOUSE_1.jpg

MIDDLEEASTMILLENNIUMPARK_1.jpg

SOUTHAMERICACOVEVALLEYVILLAGE.jpg

:lol

patsu

Iaido Sword said:
Why do people use the rail gun anyways? The 50 cal sniper rilfe is far better because it doesn't need to charge. I spent most of my time
watching Vamp and Raiden fight instead of killing Geckos
because I killed them so fast.

Where do you aim ?

patsu said:
Where do you aim ?

in the main head/neck.

during the part at Shadow Moses where the MK. III is opening the door and you have 2 minutes to do so, you can just take out the Gecko with the Barret and it will advance the cutscene for you
:lol

It's taken me awhile to get into this game. First off, I'm a MGS newbie, and secondly, slow-paced games have never really been my thing. However, I just finished up Act 2 and this game officially has me by the balls.

XenoId

anyone have a high res scan of the back european collectors edition in english?
bought one of the german ebay and didnt expect it to be in german ;(

Solo

TheClimaxan said:
It's taken me awhile to get into this game. First off, I'm a MGS newbie, and secondly, slow-paced games have never really been my thing. However, I just finished up Act 2 and this game officially has me by the balls.

Prepare for your balls to turn blue in Acts 3 through 5.

Steroyd

AKS said:
Wolf question:
What would be the best weapon against Wolf on an Extreme run? .50 cal sniper rifle after tranqing the FROGS? Need the quickest possible way to kill her. She's one of my favorite MGS bosses, but it's not so enjoyable to fight her with a time limit.

I have no idea.

I did the the parts up to that really fast so I could take my time on her (took me 38 mins), the biggest worry I had was making noise so I stuck with the M14AE (wateva) sniper rifle w/ sup.

I scanned the last couple pages and didn't see anything so hopefully this hasn't been covered already. Has there been any news on trophies/patch for MGS 4?

Shalashaska said:
I scanned the last couple pages and didn't see anything so hopefully this hasn't been covered already. Has there been any news on trophies/patch for MGS 4?

None so far, but I doubt the biggest game the PS3 has yet will take a pass on one of the most hyped features of the system. I say we'll see it soon.

hirokazu

BlockBastard said:
None so far, but I doubt the biggest game the PS3 has yet will take a pass on one of the most hyped features of the system. I say we'll see it soon.
Paging Ryan Payton...

It would be a big bonus to have MGS4 trophies, but I'm actually not expecting it anytime soon, if ever. I wish they would update the downloads in the Extras section more frequently though, maybe release some passwords for it too.

is there any quicker way to reset the game after you screwed up? I dont like going out to XMB then loading the game all over again.. takes too long

momolicious said:
is there any quicker way to reset the game after you screwed up? I dont like going out to XMB then loading the game all over again.. takes too long
You can exit to the title screen from the place where you go to save your game.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the 'standard line' against games is usually wrong, but it still kind of bothers me that the spectacular act 4 gets lumped in with the ill-conceived act 3 and act 5's primarily cinematic coda. though i wouldn't have minded some more battlefield stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom