• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
hirokazu said:
Paging Ryan Payton...

It would be a big bonus to have MGS4 trophies, but I'm actually not expecting it anytime soon, if ever. I wish they would update the downloads in the Extras section more frequently though, maybe release some passwords for it too.

They're probably all on vacation or something. I'd like to see some new integral podcasts myself.

AKS said:
Wolf question:
What would be the best weapon against Wolf on an Extreme run? .50 cal sniper rifle after tranqing the FROGS? Need the quickest possible way to kill her. She's one of my favorite MGS bosses, but it's not so enjoyable to fight her with a time limit.

use the .50 Barret and a couple headshots will put her down. Make sure you tranq all the other frogs before you do so though

AKS

Giant Robot said:
use the .50 Barret and a couple headshots will put her down. Make sure you tranq all the other frogs before you do so though

That was my tentative plan, but I thought I'd double check. This battle has me worried regarding the time constraints of the most prestigious emblems. Thanks.

black_13

Banned
oh dear, I found the opening of Act 4 I think at Shadow Moses to be incredible especially with that special music playing in the beginning.

Ken Masters said:
Another question about the
Drebin
face mask

I'm on act 5 and everything is 1/2 off and I start buying a lot of weapons and then I hear the monkey make a different sound when I bought a weapon but checked to see if it was unlocked. How woul I know when I get the 60 items?

edit: I still don't have, do I have to buy pretty much everything in the store?

I unlocked it when I finished the game having bought every weapon available. I had about 64. You can check how many you have by watching a briefing, you stats on the screen will display how many weapon types you have.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
AKS said:
Wolf question:
What would be the best weapon against Wolf on an Extreme run? .50 cal sniper rifle after tranqing the FROGS? Need the quickest possible way to kill her. She's one of my favorite MGS bosses, but it's not so enjoyable to fight her with a time limit.
MINOR SPOILERS IN THIS POST
(not worthy of a spoiler wall I think)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CdUZvXx8xbw

The above video was a god send. This guys whole series of BBE playthrough videos was a huge help.

Crying Wolf is a real bitch, but on the plus side it is your last major hurdle (although Mantis could pose some minor problems if you rush in without a strategy). Just stick with that godly powerful rifle (the video uses a Rail Gun occasionally, but I wouldn't/didn't bother) and tranq any FROGS near you and you will be fine. The sound the rifle makes doesn't give away your position as much as you think it might, you have too be reasonably closed to them to get them to notice you.

Also NV is a must, have it on at all times. Even with NV on it is surprisingly easy to miss the greenish dot (the outline of Wolf that is) in the distance. Keep your eyes peeled, if you see a strange mark on your NV view that doesn't seem to be a FROG, be sure to zoom in on it to source out whether it is Wolf or not.

A good strategy is to start the battle by running up the wall counter-clockwise from where you start, tranqing any FROGS in your way, sniping Wolf at the opposite end from where you start, then running back along the wall in the opposite direction and sniping Wolf at the other end (ie near where you started). Rinse, wash, repeat. USUALLY Wolf will just alternate directions back and forth making the task of finding her not too difficult. I used this stategy and got it done in a reasonable amount of time. As long as you are under 4 hours total play time upon finishing this battle you will have ample time to complete the game in the required time. Hell I think you only need around half an hour to 40 minutes more from that point but I'd give yourself an hour just to be safe if it comes to it.

On another note, I got my BB emblem an hour or two ago (YAYZ), in 3 and a half hours, without the Solar Gun (I missed out on the FROGs trophy by accident on my previous playthrough). I honestly thought I'd never get past the Act 3 chase (and you guys thought it was hard WITH the Solar Gun), but a few extremely luckily placed Smoke Grenades did the trick.

1stStrike

Banned
Grats. I did my TBE run without the solar gun as well. Besides the act 3 chase (which I'm sure it wouldn't have really mattered anyway) it was a piece of cake for the most part. Just had a few parts that took some adjustments and change of strategy for me to get through.

Even without being able to purchase non-lethal rounds I still found myself with plenty of ammo left over. Though, I noticed when I loaded my save and got the mossin nagant again I had 1 round left in it lol :)

Regarding The Boss Extreme run (stop calling it Big Boss Extreme people -_-), is that the Act 3 chase is the only frustrating bit I can think of.
Crying Wolf was incredibly fun and satisfying. A difficult boss fight yeah, and required a few attempts but it was incredibly fun.
Raging Raven took me literally 5 mins to defeat, I guess the timing was pure luck. I had to lie down for 5 mins to regain health again. Act 3 chase is the one where lots of luck and skill are needed. Sometimes the soldiers just miss you.
God help me if there's a trophy that requires TBE playthrough without a single save. I think that's impossible.
Good thing to do is to make a save before the end of each act on a TBE run, so if there are trophies relating to that, hopefully you won't have to play through the entire thing again.

jacf29

Banned
I just rented a ps3 from walmart so i could play this game. looks freakin incredible in 1080p. I don't understand the very first video though. The video that has real actors in it. Wtf is up with that? For a second I thought maybe I had the wrong disc in my ps3.

1stStrike

Banned
For you guys that are into MGO/going to be into MGO here are some MGO updates that duckroll just posted. I figured I might as well spread the wealth a bit (spoilering it just in case).

July 4th:

New mode - Team Sneaking
New Setting - Headshot kill

July 17th:

Bonus Pack (1200yen) - Johnny and Meryl playable, Female PMCs can be created, 3 new maps, Official Survival Battle can be played

Updates:

The 3 maps are Shadow Moses, Meiling's Ship and MGS1 Heliport. (OMG WUT)

Team Sneaking is the only new MODE. It has two teams, a sneaking team and a defending team. The sneaking team can use stealth camo.

The headshot mode SETTING. When it is turned on, you can only k-ill (stupid filter) a player with a headshot.

*foams at the mouth*

SCReuter

I wish I could purchase the first two Metal Gear titles from the PlayStation Network.

mgmsxpsn.png

Boy, that'd be awfully swell.

Steroyd

Jack Scofield said:
Okay, I still don't know how to enable auto-aim in single-player. Square does nothing. What am I doing wrong?

You have to enable it in the option menu, stupid I know Square doesn't even do anything in the first place. >_>

July 17th:

Bonus Pack (1200yen) - Johnny and Meryl playable, Female PMCs can be created, 3 new maps, Official Survival Battle can be played

Wtf is this shit!? I was discussing this with my lady friend on PSN, and I said it would be absolute bullshit if she had to pay just so she can do that, it's unbelievable that Konami...actually did it.

Dot50Cal

Banned
WTF is this?

So I beat Crying Wolf on my Big Boss Hard no kills/deaths/cure. After she dies, I see the checkpoint text light up, so I save while still in the
snowfield
. The save icon shows her dying. I load this save later: I HAVE TO FIGHT HER AGAIN. What the christ hell!?

Edit: Ahah, I had used the date/time trick to give snack some health back between the Act 3 chase sequence. Turns out the game sorts them by date, so it was a bit further down. Ignore :lol

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Steroyd said:
Raging raven shouldn't be a problem, rail gun her ass. /broken record
I'll do that, but the problem is finding her. How do you get her to
stop flying around and float in front of you?

The first time I did it I
I kept waiting inside until she flew in and would use a rocket launcher on her, but that takes too long

1stStrike

Banned
the_id said:
What's the consensus in GAF on who is the hottest MGS4 babe? I'm torn between Naomi and the Raging Beauty.

I would do them all tbh as they're all pretty damn hot in their own way (ok except maybe meryl. she might send me to the hospital).

Top votes are
Naomi, Laughing Octopus and Raging Raven though. Damn you, Otacon. You get to tap that ass before she dies ;_;

rhino4evr

I just reached the second boss and saved. Those
chase sequences
were intense but pretty easy. I wasn't exactly happy with the amount of loading that was occuring. Oh well

Question for no kills

how on earth do you pull it off in the chase sequences? On my first playthrough I am not too worried about it, obviously, just curious.

regarding the 3rd act so far....

not sure how I felt about the tailing mission, it was a cool change of pace, but it was the most linear part of the game so far. There wasn't much room for experimentation

The long cut scenes haven't bothered me so far, but that's becuause Im actually enjoying the story. It's nice to get some closure on stuff.

I can't believe Big Boss is STILL alive

rhino4evr said:
I just reached the second boss and saved. Those
chase sequences
were intense but pretty easy. I wasn't exactly happy with the amount of loading that was occuring. Oh well

Question for no kills

how on earth do you pull it off in the chase sequences? On my first playthrough I am not too worried about it, obviously, just curious.

Depends on the difficulty you are going through.
But most of the time the average frog, in the chase scenes at least, has terrible accuracy, so using smoke grenades helps. You can also use one of the one handed shotguns with the V-rings. Mostly, just don't kill anything. Especially not the powered suits in the first one.

SCReuter

klee123 said:
Get Subsistence.

But this would be such a sexy deal:

The Essential Collection - $30 (PS2) + Metal Gear 1 & 2 - $10 (PSN)

Instead of paying an eBay seller $50 for a used copy of just Subsistence.

Plus, having digital copies of the MSX2 originals stored and ready to go on my PS3 would be a whole lot more convenient than having to deal with a fragile disc every time I wanted to play them.

(I already own Subsistence BTW.)

Darkpen

Banned
dabookerman said:
Regarding The Boss Extreme run (stop calling it Big Boss Extreme people -_-), is that the Act 3 chase is the only frustrating bit I can think of.
Crying Wolf was incredibly fun and satisfying. A difficult boss fight yeah, and required a few attempts but it was incredibly fun.
Raging Raven took me literally 5 mins to defeat, I guess the timing was pure luck. I had to lie down for 5 mins to regain health again. Act 3 chase is the one where lots of luck and skill are needed. Sometimes the soldiers just miss you.
God help me if there's a trophy that requires TBE playthrough without a single save. I think that's impossible.
Good thing to do is to make a save before the end of each act on a TBE run, so if there are trophies relating to that, hopefully you won't have to play through the entire thing again.
God I wish I could have recorded myself, lol

It took, quite literally and to my surprise, a single rail-gun shot to take down Raging Raven, :lol

Basically, I ran up the stairs, got up to the ceiling, looked at the radar, tried to see which of the UAVs she was, saw that she was actually flying really low, went to the ledge with an opening, aimed, charged, and fired, and bam, boss fight over :lol

I guess I somehow headshotted her as she was flying around the tower (if you don't attack her UAVs, she just flies around the tower).

At first, I thought I maybe shot her straight in the back, but trying so later on resulted in partial damage (or at least, I think so).

For those having trouble finding her, she's generally the one that sticks out the most on your radar.

But yes, people, its THE BOSS EXTREME.

I was seeing a LOT of "Big Boss Extremes" earlier in the thread. I pointed it out, but I guess people don't care enough.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Why does the syringe
appear to make Snake and Liquid stronger? I don't understand why they kept taking it during the final fights like it was some kind of energy booster. I think syringe use was inconsistent; it's just suppose to suppress nanomachines; in this case, cause Naomi to have a slow death to the cancer, make Vamp vulnerable due to the stopping of his rapid healing, and slow down FoxDie inside Snake. Why did the two of them use it like it was enhancing them? I don't understand why they kept injecting themselves, and then even at one point after doing it a bunch of times, they both have full health bars.

... and Raiden is just a head right? Rose is in for a depressing marriage. :lol Not to mention, wasn't Raiden blonde? Why does him and his kid have silver hair now

jett

D-Member
John Harker said:
Why does the syringe
appear to make Snake and Liquid stronger? I don't understand why they kept taking it during the final fights like it was some kind of energy booster. I think syringe use was inconsistent; it's just suppose to suppress nanomachines; in this case, cause Naomi to have a slow death to the cancer, make Vamp vulnerable due to the stopping of his rapid healing, and slow down FoxDie inside Snake. Why did the two of them use it like it was enhancing them? I don't understand why they kept injecting themselves, and then even at one point after doing it a bunch of times, they both have full health bars.

... and Raiden is just a head right? Rose is in for a depressing marriage. :lol Not to mention, wasn't Raiden blonde? Why does him and his kid have silver hair now

Even Raiden's hair was retconned, dayum.

sky

Anyone know some level areas that are extremely quiet?
I want to record a few sounds, but there's always some ambient sounds in the background, it seems. :-|

sky said:
Anyone know some level areas that are extremely quiet?
I want to record a few sounds, but there's always some ambient sounds in the background, it seems. :-|
Act 4 in the
nuclear disposal facility where you weren't allowed to shoot in MGS1?

jsrv

Question:

The installation breaks are only between Acts right?

Because for some reason the game prompted me to install Act 1 and 2 again after loading in between different User accounts.

(One user account is in Act 1, other is in Act 2. When I switched to the 2nd account, it installed Act 1 again, 3 minutes. After that, switched to the other user account, installed Act 2 again, ~3 minutes.)

Didn't delete the game data before hand. What's going on here?

sky

Iaido Sword said:
Act 4 in the
nuclear disposal facility where you weren't allowed to shoot in MGS1?
Thanks, that worked pretty well. :]

I've recorded a bunch of sounds - mostly beeps and what not from the menus. The codec call I found on the web.
I'm using them for windows sounds, if anyone find them useful, they are here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DLW3BZC3

sounds.gif

Nekobo

I got to interview David Hayter at Anime Expo today. He was really cool. When we were testing out his mic, he said in his Snake voice "Colonel, can you hear me?":lol

I asked him which actor would he pick to be Snake in a Metal Gear movie and he chose...Hugh Jackman and Viggio Mortensen.

He just started playing MGS4...he's currently playing Act II.

His favorite Metal Gear game is MGS3...for now.

He's slated to the write the Lost Planet screenplay.

I also got him to yell out "CRAAABB BATTTTLLEEEE." :D

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
John Harker said:
Why does the syringe

I remember Naomi saying something about how you also get a temporary psyche boost when injected, but the boost you get gradually decreases evertime you use it.
Don't recall the exact wording though.

Nekobo said:
I got to interview David Hayter at Anime Expo today. He was really cool. When we were testing out his mic, he said in his Snake voice "Colonel, can you hear me?":lol

I asked him which actor would he pick to be Snake in a Metal Gear movie and he chose...Hugh Jackman and Viggio Mortensen.

He just started playing MGS4...he's currently playing Act II.

His favorite Metal Gear game is MGS3...for now.

He's slated to the write the Lost Planet screenplay.

I also got him to yell out "CRAAABB BATTTTLLEEEE." :D
Nice. David Hayter is THE MAN. :D

SRG01

Which shotgun can you equip during the motorcycle chase? I bought the cheap one, but I can't use it at all. V-Rings nooooooo :(

burgerdog said:
What's the trick with otacon facecamo in act 3 to avoid guards? I tried it last time and they still shot me :lol

Hmm. Not sure, but when I use
Drebin's facecamo
I can walk by them fine.
I think if they have seen your face during an alert or caution it may bar that face from working like that for the rest of the play-through, though. (Not that I've tested this...)

SRG01: Only one is the
double barrelled shotgun. It's cool but annoying since you reload after every shot.

hirokazu

Catalix said:
I remember Naomi saying something about how you also get a temporary psyche boost when injected, but the boost you get gradually decreases evertime you use it.
Don't recall the exact wording though.
He's right, it still doesn't make any sense even with that explanation.

Crazymoogle said:
Hmm. Not sure, but when I use
Drebin's facecamo
I can walk by them fine.
I think if they have seen your face during an alert or caution it may bar that face from working like that for the rest of the play-through, though. (Not that I've tested this...)

SRG01: Only one is the
double barrelled shotgun. It's cool but annoying since you reload after every shot.
That would make a lot of sense, actually, but they totally failed at getting that point across to the player.

SRG01

For me, if I walked a respectable distance in front of the guard with no weapon equipped, they won't say anything. The same goes for the resistance unit and only goes hostile if you are equipping a weapon.

edit: And using Laughing Beauty facecamo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom