• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anybody who picked up the Japanese limited edition tell me if the Blu Ray that came with it is region free and/or if it has English subtitles? I picked up the PAL release but there were no limited editions available. I own the Japanese versions of MGS1-3 and wouldn't mind getting the Japanese dub of MGS4 but would like to documentary along with it.

Crazymoogle said:
Hmm. Not sure, but when I use
Drebin's facecamo
I can walk by them fine.
I think if they have seen your face during an alert or caution it may bar that face from working like that for the rest of the play-through, though. (Not that I've tested this...)

SRG01: Only one is the
double barrelled shotgun. It's cool but annoying since you reload after every shot.
hmm I didnt know that

dunno if anyone has tried this out aready. but if any of you guys have a bluetooth device set up with your ps3, you can change the codec info from otacon be tranfered to your headset. Its a nice touch and makes you feel like your snake.

Schrade

SixStringPsycho said:
dunno if anyone has tried this out aready. but if any of you guys have a bluetooth device set up with your ps3, you can change the codec info from otacon be tranfered to your headset. Its a nice touch and makes you feel like your snake.
Of course they have. That's really really old news by now ;)

(You didn't read the thread?)

Darkpen

Banned
SRG01 said:
For me, if I walked a respectable distance in front of the guard with no weapon equipped, they won't say anything. The same goes for the resistance unit and only goes hostile if you are equipping a weapon.

edit: And using Laughing Beauty facecamo.
really now? They won't react as much if you use the laughing beauty face?

Darkpen

Banned
Guys, is it just me, or did anyone else try to shoot the glass that contains the searchlights for the helipad, and find that the glass was unbreakable, and was disappointed by that? I remember playing Twin Snakes, and being about to not only shoot out the glasses, but the searchlight itself as well :( and with NOTHING BUT A TRANQ GUN, at that D:

I mean, its glass, and its freaking frozen, how does frozen glass behave? Maybe they decided that its actually made of something stupidly hard like plexiglass, and that it doesn't shatter as easily :(

Nekobo said:
I got to interview David Hayter at Anime Expo today. He was really cool. When we were testing out his mic, he said in his Snake voice "Colonel, can you hear me?":lol

I asked him which actor would he pick to be Snake in a Metal Gear movie and he chose...Hugh Jackman and Viggio Mortensen.

He just started playing MGS4...he's currently playing Act II.

His favorite Metal Gear game is MGS3...for now.

He's slated to the write the Lost Planet screenplay.

I also got him to yell out "CRAAABB BATTTTLLEEEE." :D
are you gonna upload that interview soon?

klee123

Gokurakumaru said:
Can anybody who picked up the Japanese limited edition tell me if the Blu Ray that came with it is region free and/or if it has English subtitles? I picked up the PAL release but there were no limited editions available. I own the Japanese versions of MGS1-3 and wouldn't mind getting the Japanese dub of MGS4 but would like to documentary along with it.

Yep, it's region free and it does have English subs as well.

hirokazu

Gokurakumaru said:
The Blu-ray is Region A, which is the same as the US. I don't know if it's actually region free though. When you boot up the Asia version, you get a choice for Japanese or English, same with the subtitles. I suspect Japan, Asia and US got exactly the same Blu-ray discs for the bonus, just in different packaging.

Aurelius

1stStrike said:
I would do them all tbh as they're all pretty damn hot in their own way (ok except maybe meryl. she might send me to the hospital).

So, I’m not the only one who though that Meryl looked kind of butch in that wedding dress

Darkpen

Banned
Aurelius said:
So, I’m not the only one who though that Meryl looked kind of butch in that wedding dress
:lol

When I saw people calling Meryl "hot" in the thread, I chose to just leave them alone :lol

GnsengTea

Neo Member
What's up with that one shotgun that's half a million DP?!? Is it worth it?

Just beat the game and never saw any real need for anything other than the M4 and the MG.

Well, I just realized the no alert run I'm going through right now was a waste of time. I don't have any Chaff Grenades with me and I'm gonna be completely fucked when I arrive at
Shadow Moses

Steroyd

John Harker said:
Why does the syringe
appear to make Snake and Liquid stronger? I don't understand why they kept taking it during the final fights like it was some kind of energy booster. I think syringe use was inconsistent; it's just suppose to suppress nanomachines; in this case, cause Naomi to have a slow death to the cancer, make Vamp vulnerable due to the stopping of his rapid healing, and slow down FoxDie inside Snake. Why did the two of them use it like it was enhancing them? I don't understand why they kept injecting themselves, and then even at one point after doing it a bunch of times, they both have full health bars.

They kept taking it because the potency decreased everytime they used it, and it increases psyche to so it must give them an adrenaline boost as a side affect or something.

I'm thinking Ocelot took it because there was no need be "Liquid" anymore because his job was done.

Steroyd

BlockBastard said:
Well, I just realized the no alert run I'm going through right now was a waste of time. I don't have any Chaff Grenades with me and I'm gonna be completely fucked when I arrive at
Shadow Moses

You get 2 at the heliport, depends what difficulty you're on, because I needed a few more chaffs than I was expecting on The Boss Extreme difficulty.

hirokazu

GnsengTea said:
What's up with that one shotgun that's half a million DP?!? Is it worth it?

Just beat the game and never saw any real need for anything other than the M4 and the MG.
Just buy it for half price
during Act 5.

It is an actual old Japanese gun, back in the old days, but the one in the game behaves very much unlike a real gun. Try it yourself and see. ;)

Here is a real one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:TanegashimaGun.jpg

hirokazu

Steroyd said:
They kept taking it because the potency decreased everytime they used it, and it increases psyche to so it must give them an adrenaline boost as a side affect or something.

I'm thinking Ocelot took it because there was no need be "Liquid" anymore because his job was done.
Doesn't explain why
Naomi likes to take it even though it can be fatal to her, and is fatal to her, when the game decides it to be.

Cronox

Banned
hirokazu said:
Doesn't explain why
Naomi likes to take it even though it can be fatal to her, and is fatal to her, when the game decides it to be.

I was never confused about this... Say it with me guys:
different syringes. Naomi gave Snake the one that he uses on himself, on Vamp to knock out his nano machines, and in the final fight with Liquid Ocelot. The syringe that Naomi has with her is different, and that's the one that kills her and Vamp.

Cronox said:
different syringes. Naomi gave Snake the one that he uses on himself, on Vamp to knock out his nano machines, and in the final fight with Liquid Ocelot. The syringe that Naomi has with her is different, and that's the one that kills her and Vamp.
Exactly.
One of them was to inject Nanomachines that kept both Vamp and Naomi alive, the other one suppressed those Nanomachines.

btkadams

im so stoked to get this game. i bought the metal gear essential collection a month ago but never got into it. but today my friend and i started playing and getting really into it. we're gonna paly through 1,2,and 3 before buying the fourth. how long are the first three games (average playthrough, weve never played these before). cant wait to see the level of graphics evolve

hirokazu

Cronox said:
Mind explaining the difference?

Unless you're actually saying that the one Naomi uses to kill herself and Vamp is the same as what she gives Snake to use, and the one she uses on herself in other scenes is different. Because, you know the two you describe do the same thing - knock out the nanomachines, hence the reason she and Vamp dies from it's use in that scene.

What you explain isn't even what people are confused about. :p

hirokazu said:
Mind explaining the difference?

Unless you're actually saying that the one Naomi uses to kill herself and Vamp is the same as what she gives Snake to use, and the one she uses on herself in other scenes is different. Because, you know the two you describe do the same thing - knock out the nanomachines, hence the reason she and Vamp dies from it's use in that scene.

What you explain isn't even what people are confused about. :p
This is just me guessing but...

In MGS1 Snake is injected with Nano Machines that "replenish the supply of adrenaline, nutrition and sugar in" his" "bloodstream".

Then Drebin comes along and suppresses those Nanomachines making him feel sicker due to the aging, so he injects the new Nanomachines regularly to help him stay alive, just like Naomi does it.

The syringe Naomi uses to kill herself and Vamp are different, those surpress the Nanomachines that were keeping Vamp "imortal" and the ones that were halting Naomi's cancer.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
btkadams said:
im so stoked to get this game. i bought the metal gear essential collection a month ago but never got into it. but today my friend and i started playing and getting really into it. we're gonna paly through 1,2,and 3 before buying the fourth. how long are the first three games (average playthrough, weve never played these before). cant wait to see the level of graphics evolve
The original MGS can be completed on first playthrough at roughly 8 hours, MGS2 the same. MGS3 took me in the realm of 17 hours.

MGS4 will take you between 18-20 hours.

Play the games in release order (I assume you are). I mean, I played it 2 > 3 > TS (GCN MGS1 Remake) > MGS1 which is quite possibly the worst order imaginable and still enjoyed it, but playing it in the standard 1 > 2 > 3 order is the best way to play.

glaurung

Rez>You said:
The original MGS can be completed on first playthrough at roughly 8 hours, MGS2 the same. MGS3 took me in the realm of 17 hours.

MGS4 will take you between 18-20 hours.

Play the games in release order (I assume you are). I mean, I played it 2 > 3 > TS (GCN MGS1 Remake) > MGS1 which is quite possibly the worst order imaginable and still enjoyed it, but playing it in the standard 1 > 2 > 3 order is the best way to play.

Back in the day I read an article in PSW about how some of the Kojima team members were able to complete MGS on the hardest difficulty in just one hour.

As for the playing order, I do not wish to go back to MGS at all. I have such fond memories of it, but now I don't even have a proper CRT TV left to enjoy its charm.

I like thinking back at the first battles with Ocelot and the Ninja and it all makes enough sense to be burnt into my memory for all time.

I completed MGS2 in about 16 hours, but I did rush it. MGS3 took a lot more, over 20 hours I presume. MGS4 took me ~20 hours on the default difficulty.

God only knows how many hours I poured into the original MGS on PS1.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
MGS3 is the longest game in the series in terms of gameplay, however. MGS4 is closer to MGS1 or 2, I think, in that much of its running time is composed of cutscenes (8 hours worth).

gantz85

Banned
BlockBastard said:
Shadow Moses

You get the Chaff Grenades THERE, goddammit.

SRG01

Darkpen said:
really now? They won't react as much if you use the laughing beauty face?

Any facecamo that's not Snake would probably work. The Beauty masks actually make enemies stare at you with hearts.

The Chef

Beat the game for the first time this morning.
I am so overwhelmed with emotions that I'm not going to even bother to translate it into words.

Thank you Kojima.
This is the game that will forever live on as the most memorable video game experience that I have ever had the privilege to participate in.

The Chef said:
Beat the game for the first time this morning.
I am so overwhelmed with emotions that I'm not going to even bother to translate it into words.

Thank you Kojima.
This is the game that will forever live on as the most memorable video game experience that I have ever had the privilege to participate in.

You sure took your time. I wish I could erase my memory and go through the game again. :<

sonicmj1

Metalmurphy said:
This is just me guessing but...

In MGS1 Snake is injected with Nano Machines that "replenish the supply of adrenaline, nutrition and sugar in" his" "bloodstream".

Then Drebin comes along and suppresses those Nanomachines making him feel sicker due to the aging, so he injects the new Nanomachines regularly to help him stay alive, just like Naomi does it.

The syringe Naomi uses to kill herself and Vamp are different, those surpress the Nanomachines that were keeping Vamp "imortal" and the ones that were halting Naomi's cancer.

False. Otherwise,
using the syringe in the Screaming Mantis fight wouldn't prevent the mind control.

The syringe Naomi uses on herself in Act 1 would have to have the same effect as the syringe she uses in Act 4, because in both situations nanomachines had to be supressed. It's just that one time, it lead to near-instant death, while the other time, it didn't. For no reason at all.

In other words, it's a plot hole.

"They weren't enough on my Big Boss hard play through and they wont be enough now, GODDAMMIT"

you only need one-2 at the most. others are icing on the cake. there are also a set in each chapter. except the first.

hangar and the one where you have to move over little bridge. everything else was a breeze except for chase scenes.

The Chef

BlockBastard said:
You sure took your time. I wish I could erase my memory and go through the game again. :<

I feel like I am the last person to have actually beaten it.
I just didn't want it to end :(
My total play time ended up being
22 Hours

SRG01

sonicmj1 said:
False. Otherwise,
using the syringe in the Screaming Mantis fight wouldn't prevent the mind control.

The syringe Naomi uses on herself in Act 1 would have to have the same effect as the syringe she uses in Act 4, because in both situations nanomachines had to be supressed. It's just that one time, it lead to near-instant death, while the other time, it didn't. For no reason at all.

In other words, it's a plot hole.

My guess is that
it knocks out the first type of nanomachines it sees.

First shot: Takes out Foxdie
Multiple shots: Takes out regeneration

Actually the bigger plot hole is
the first Snake-Johnny scene.

#1: How was Snake ever a threat with Johnny's rifle if the guns were ID locked?
#2: How could Johnny ever use his rifle without nanomachines? None of his equipment was ever implied to be laundered except for the huge ass rifle at the end of the game.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The Chef said:

Well.. considering I had my PS3 stolen the day after the game came out... you aren't nearly the last person to have beaten it ;)

SRG01 said:

#2: How could Johnny ever use his rifle without nanomachines? None of his equipment was ever implied to be laundered except for the huge ass rifle at the end of the game.

No, no
Johnny was never a part of the SOP System, so at no time he was able to use ID guns himself. The database states that he unlocked his guns through secret channels in akiba. And afaik something like this is mentioned in the game too...but I'm not sure. It makes sense though.

eLGee

SRG01 said:
My guess is that
it knocks out the first type of nanomachines it sees.

First shot: Takes out Foxdie
Multiple shots: Takes out regeneration

The MGSDB holds the answer to the second question:

Akiba basically launders his own guns, using special parts he acquires in the city of Akiba. He's never used any of them, though.

e;f,b :(

urge26

The Chef said:
I just didn't want it to end :(
My total play time ended up being
22 Hours

I too just beat the game for the first time a couple nights ago
26 Hours

It goes down as one of my single best gaming experiences.

It's quite ironic too, after 2 weeks of trying to avoid spoilers from my co-worker who beat it on the opening weekend to find out he never stayed after the credits began to roll for the first time, never saw big boss/zero, never saved his game to get the acquired items or see his summary screen

The Chef

urge26 said:
It's quite ironic too, after 2 weeks of trying to avoid spoilers from my co-worker who beat it on the opening weekend to find out he never stayed after the credits began to roll for the first time, never saw big boss/zero, never saved his game to get the acquired items or see his summary screen

I hope you told your co-worker that he is officially the dumbest person alive. You dont hang out with him after work or anything do you? If so you need to sever that connection immediately.
So the second the
1st "fake" credits rolled he got up satisfied with his experience and turned off his ps3???
I have never known of such idiocy.

gantz85 said:
You get the Chaff Grenades THERE, goddammit.

finished on Big Boss Hard and only used 2 chaff grenades the whole time.
i used one in the first hangar in Shadow Moses. and used the second right after the blast furnace

dalyr95

With syringes, I was under the impression:

Drebin injects Snake with the system to make his guns work and why he is affected by the lack of SOP, however because he is an experienced soldier, his emotions returning don't effect him as much as others

The one he is given later on, surpresses nanomachines, hence he can recover after SOP goes down.

Naomi has nanomachines to supress her cancer, she injects them to bolster her immune system and to supress the bad effects of SOP. Before she dies, she injects whats in Snake's syringes, thereby surpressing their nanomachines and allowing her and Vamp to die from cancer/falling off a huge fucking Metal Gear

My take on it

Meier

Just a general purpose PS3 question.. I got one the other night, HDMI cable finally got here today from Amazon. I wasn't really using it much as I didn't see the point with composite cables.. anyway, when I switched to HDMI/720p, the menu still remained in 4:3. Anyone know what's up with that?

Thanks... MGS4 in glorious HD now! :D :D

I am currently on my 2nd run through the game, going for 0 kills and alerts. I've just got to Laughing Octopus on Act 2, and so far, so good.

I just quit out of the game, and went into Mission Briefing thinking it would just be the cutscenes before the Acts. Of course that's exactly what it is, although it asks me what save file I want to load. I loaded it, and data started scrolling across the screen, inc. game time which was about a minute more than my last save point.

Anyway, my question is this: Is that information the latest about my current game? (It was my lastest save) The time is, but I wondering (and hoping), if the alerts and kills are too? It's at 0/0/0 for Alerts/Kills/Items.

SO, I can trust this info? Will be very handy later on!

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
KennyLinder said:
I am currently on my 2nd run through the game, going for 0 kills and alerts. I've just got to Laughing Octopus on Act 2, and so far, so good.

I just quit out of the game, and went into Mission Briefing thinking it would just be the cutscenes before the Acts. Of course that's exactly what it is, although it asks me what save file I want to load. I loaded it, and data started scrolling across the screen, inc. game time which was about a minute more than my last save point.

Anyway, my question is this: Is that information the latest about my current game? (It was my lastest save) The time is, but I wondering (and hoping), if the alerts and kills are too? It's at 0/0/0 for Alerts/Kills/Items.

SO, I can trust this info? Will be very handy later on!
Yes, all the stats definitely correspond to the save file you loaded up. I use this method to check my progress if I quit playing midway though completing an Act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom