• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
KennyLinder said:
I am currently on my 2nd run through the game, going for 0 kills and alerts. I've just got to Laughing Octopus on Act 2, and so far, so good.

I just quit out of the game, and went into Mission Briefing thinking it would just be the cutscenes before the Acts. Of course that's exactly what it is, although it asks me what save file I want to load. I loaded it, and data started scrolling across the screen, inc. game time which was about a minute more than my last save point.

Anyway, my question is this: Is that information the latest about my current game? (It was my lastest save) The time is, but I wondering (and hoping), if the alerts and kills are too? It's at 0/0/0 for Alerts/Kills/Items.

SO, I can trust this info? Will be very handy later on!

Yes its the data as of your last save.

For the Bear emblem, which is kill 100 using CQC, does that mean choking 100 people till they get knocked out. Or is it also slamming them to the floor or knife killing them?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
MiamiWesker said:
For the Bear emblem, which is kill 100 using CQC, does that mean choking 100 people till they get knocked out. Or is it also slamming them to the floor or knife killing them?

choke

Mets39

I want MGS4 DLC :D And of course MGS5 :p and wow at the Database! A lot of stuff, but
what about Raiden and the area51 ? calculated ? And Eva saying she knows Liquid better ... The next MGS will be very interesting!

New story idea:

Enter Raiden's son. He spent his life learning about the legendary Solid Snake and found out the truth about his father's sacrifices and what he has done to also be known as a hero. 1X years after MGS4 and the world is a much more peaceful place thanks to the end of the Patriots "reign" (Snake's final mission WASN'T in vain). Raiden #2 still feels the need to live up to his heroes so he joins a scouting group in Alaska (similar to his father?) and learns the trademark skills and such. He joins many militia groups around the world battling in small skirmishes but is still not satisfied with how little someone with his talent is needed.

Enter Sunny. Having special technological abilities, she "accidently" created a new METAL GEAR!!! (I'll let the master story tellers come up with the reasons as I didn't have time at work to figure out the details and motives). Raiden jr is then recruited by some secret spec-ops squad and sent in as the rookie sensation to save the world. Just what he was waiting for.

In a way, this would parallel the KP team trying to fill the shoes of Mr. Kojima just as Raien jr looks up to Snake and his pappa.

Also, new camo available for download. Laugh camo (raises enemy laughter when they spot you) and Rage camo (raises enemy rage when they spot you)

MiamiWesker said:
Going to take forever... thanks.

Yeah, some people don't notice but the choke is two step - first it dazes, then you hold it a bit longer and it kills the guy (slumps but there are no daze stars). Shouldn't take too long though, especially if you don't mind alerts. Best not to do them all at once.

Crazymoogle said:
Yeah, some people don't notice but the choke is two step - first it dazes, then you hold it a bit longer and it kills the guy (slumps but there are no daze stars). Shouldn't take too long though, especially if you don't mind alerts. Best not to do them all at once.

Aw fucking hell... I thought it meant to knock them out. That means I have zero choke kills... ahhhhhh! 100 more to go. I am in act 2, lots of respawns.

Rocket786

A00man said:
That makes sense, but what was really stopping Ocelot from putting the virus in himself? He didn't want to blow his cover with the Patriots? What could the Patriots have done to him at that point. He controlled SOP so they really couldn't have manipulated him in any way. I guess they could have figured out something was up and implemented some fail safe for their system?

Liabe Brave said:
Answer:
By the time the virus is created, the Patriot AIs know Ocelot has GW--remember, Philanthropy and Solid Snake are being watched by the AIs (through Rat Patrol 01 and presumably other means). They're allowed to continue because the AIs expect that they'll stop Ocelot before he can take over the world. And they do. But the AIs are so concentrated on killing off the rebel human Patriots via FoxDie, and physically smashing Outer Haven, that they don't notice that Ocelot didn't plan on taking over the world at all; he planned on rebooting it by hotshotting the virus into something that'll kill the entire system. Despite their (literally) inhuman intelligence and cunning, they probably just didn't expect that he'd be willing to reduce the world to savagery by wrecking all modern infrastructure. But, inspired by The Boss, he's that idealistic. What no one expected was that Sunny would figure out a way to eliminate the higher functions of the AIs but keep the essentials.

I have another question from this response.

Ok, I understand that the Patriots know that Ocelot has GW and that Snake and company were being monitored by the Patriots. But at this time, what can the Patriots do to Snake? Ocelot controls SOP and he's the one that can control the soldier's actions via SOP. He's the one that could control Snake if he wanted to (unless of course Snake uses the syringe). Couldn't Ocelot just contact Snake, fill him in on the plan, and invite him to come upload the virus into GW? Why the charades? Ocelot controls SOP, the Patriots do not, and therefore at this point how could the Patriots do anything to stop Snake?

I have a quick question. I picked up the South American uniform at the start of Act 2, but it doesn't seem to work - I just get alerted straight away. Any ideas?

Imm0rt4l

sky said:
Thanks, that worked pretty well. :]

I've recorded a bunch of sounds - mostly beeps and what not from the menus. The codec call I found on the web.
I'm using them for windows sounds, if anyone find them useful, they are here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DLW3BZC3

sounds.gif

props on this, gonna use these sounds for my phone.

BigBoss

KennyLinder said:
I have a quick question. I picked up the South American uniform at the start of Act 2, but it doesn't seem to work - I just get alerted straight away. Any ideas?

The rebels shouldn't be alerted if you're wearing the uniform unless you attacked them.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This game desperately needs a patch to let you check your stats in-game at will.

1stStrike

Banned
I'm working on the chicken emblem now so I have to somehow blow 35 hours. I might just have to leave the game on while I'm sleeping cause even wasting time I don't see how you can get more than like 25 hours of actual play time.

In act three, when Snake has the jacket on, if you equip one of the silenced pistols he will put it in his pocket while standing still or walking. It is pretty awesome just walking up to a guard, pulling the gun out of your pocket and shooting them in the face.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
A00man said:

Ok, I understand that the Patriots know that Ocelot has GW and that Snake and company were being monitored by the Patriots. But at this time, what can the Patriots do to Snake? Ocelot controls SOP and he's the one that can control the soldier's actions via SOP. He's the one that could control Snake if he wanted to (unless of course Snake uses the syringe). Couldn't Ocelot just contact Snake, fill him in on the plan, and invite him to come upload the virus into GW? Why the charades? Ocelot controls SOP, the Patriots do not, and therefore at this point how could the Patriots do anything to stop Snake?

Guys. The game has some major overly-far-fetched-plot-points that in the end are ALL related to the Big Boss revival, indicating that it was likely added much later in production. We know Kojima had an idea of having Snake and Otacon turn themselves in at the end because they are officially now as terrorists since MGS1, and be executed; a sort of "The Boss"-like ending where they would forever be remembered as madmen but who in reality saved the world. This also ties in to the trailer that was released months ago where you heard a guy speaking in the past tense about Snake, as if he was a legend or dead, saying that some believe he ruined the world, others believe he freed it. This ending was later changed, but the trailer wasn't release THAT long ago.

1- Eva doing her crazy act of throwing herself in the fire just to pretend she really thinks it is Big Boss' body.

2- Ocelot going through all he did in the past MGS games just to fool the Patriots into thinking he had become Liquid, and has such conceal his real intentions, but what's the point considering that his intentions were the same as Liquid anyway and considering that if The Patriots are aware enough to find out almost everything they would certainly find out he has been using drugs and self-hypnosis and what not just to impersonate Liquid.

3- It completely confused the part in MGS2 where Ocelot shoots missiles at everyone on Arsenal Gear and Fortune deflects them; at that point we should now pretend that Ocelot PRETENDED he turned off her device or something? Because if he didn't then it means Fortune really deflected the missiles, and if she had not everyone would have died there, S3 would have been aborted, Snake would be dead too. And then he pretends he's Liquid and runs away with Ray. Right.

4- The whole "Raiden went to Area 51, got his head chopped off, and became a cyborg ninja, thanks to the work of Dr. Madnar, the man who made a SNATCHER out of Big Boss by using his head and spine. That's right, it's really called "The Snatcher Project". Big Boss was a Snatcher?!?!

5- Big Boss being made from parts of Liquid and Solidus.

6- Dr. Madnar being mentioned in front of Snake and Snake having absolutely no reaction to the name. Feels like they had already recorded the scene when they decided to change the name to Madnar, and as such Snake's reaction remained as it was before the name change. That's a guess.

I could go on, but basically it screws up the whole series and the events of MGS4 themselves. If you actually play the game and never watch the Big Boss ending, everything makes sense (except for the corpse of Big Boss having his right eye, but that would have been easy to change late in production, same thing for the texture of the mechanical arm on Ocelot's, both are tied to the Big Boss revival arc). The story becomes almost TOO simple, when I finished the game I was like "oh, well I guess it turns out that this time there's no big surprise, they wrapped up everything without a crazy twist." And it's true, that's how the game really ends. But then the Big Boss ending throws everything upside down and complicates everything, making various aspects of the past games and even of MGS4 highly questionable, and quite unnecessary, unless:

When you take the above into consideration, it sounds to me like a few key but easily changeable aspects of the story were changed late in production to accommodate for the idea that a future Snatcher series will be set in the actual MGS world. Heck, Lucipher Alpha bight become the mutated FoxDie. We have Dr. Madnar, the Snatcher Project (with Big Boss being the first Snatcher no less), a candidate for Lucipher Alpha, all of this forced into MGS4' story awkwardly and to answer nothing in particular.

The lack of info on what the heck happened to Raiden, why Sunny is important at all, why it wasn't Snake who went to look for her as he said he would, etc., all sound like the bases to make a prequel too.

So my guess is:

MGS4 prequel(s) where you play as "human" Raiden and then possibly as Big Boss looking for Zero (that would be why they went through the trouble of making him come back to life 100% healthy).

And a new Snatcher series set in the MGS world. The game could have nothing to do with MGS but my guess is they'll have it set in the same world anyway.

Id.

I'm replaying it again for the third time and I just realized something that I never noticed in my first two playthroughs!
When you're fending off the Suicide Gekkos in Act IV while Raiden and Vamp are fighting; if you try to aim the Rail Gun at Metal Gear Rex where Raiden and Vamp are fighting, Snake tell's himself, "No, I can't do it!". It totally reminded me of how Snake couldn't shoot Rex with the Stinger when Gray Fox was crushed under Rex's foot!

Total nostalgia!

hirokazu

sonicmj1 said:
False. Otherwise,
using the syringe in the Screaming Mantis fight wouldn't prevent the mind control.

The syringe Naomi uses on herself in Act 1 would have to have the same effect as the syringe she uses in Act 4, because in both situations nanomachines had to be supressed. It's just that one time, it lead to near-instant death, while the other time, it didn't. For no reason at all.

In other words, it's a plot hole.
Yeah, this is my point exactly.

SRG01 said:
My guess is that
it knocks out the first type of nanomachines it sees.

First shot: Takes out Foxdie
Multiple shots: Takes out regeneration
That makes no sense.
If the first shot takes out FoxDie, Vamp would not have the reaction he does when you inject him.

dalyr95 said:
With syringes, I was under the impression:

Drebin injects Snake with the system to make his guns work and why he is affected by the lack of SOP, however because he is an experienced soldier, his emotions returning don't effect him as much as others

The one he is given later on, surpresses nanomachines, hence he can recover after SOP goes down.

Naomi has nanomachines to supress her cancer, she injects them to bolster her immune system and to supress the bad effects of SOP. Before she dies, she injects whats in Snake's syringes, thereby surpressing their nanomachines and allowing her and Vamp to die from cancer/falling off a huge fucking Metal Gear

My take on it
I think you're right on the last part.

But what Drebin injects suppresses the nanomachines Snake was injected with in MGS1, since they interfered with the operation of his laundered weapons, that was clearly stated in Act 1. It doesn't make him part of SOP because the laundered weapons are outside the SOP. The reason Snake is partly affected whenever Liquid tries to experiment on SOP is because it is based on FoxDie technology, and Snake still has the old FoxDie within in, as well as the new variant Drebin injects in him.

I don't think the syringe Naomi uses on herself does anything but inject more cancer controlling/life support nanomachines. she does not have the SOP system so she wouldn't have a need to control her nanomachines. Vamp is an example of this, he has the same nanomachines keeping him alive, but he isn't affected by SOP.

I think the most logical answer is that Naomi's syringe has only life support nanomachines, but the syringe she gives Snake and uses to kill herself and Vamp is completely different and contains something that suppresses the effects of the nanomachines, as well as giving users a drug-like effect of a performance boost and stress reliever.

Red Blaster said:
A helpful note to everyone, disregard any of Ether_Snake's absurd exegesis.

I thought it was fine. I sort of agree with him that the story made since until
Big Boss showed up, then it got really messy. I had to watch scenes again and read the guide and database to really understand what went on. Whether or not it was added in at the end I dont know but it was a bit messy.

1stStrike said:
I'm working on the chicken emblem now so I have to somehow blow 35 hours. I might just have to leave the game on while I'm sleeping cause even wasting time I don't see how you can get more than like 25 hours of actual play time.

I wasted a ton of time my second playthrough and it was 27 hours. So yeah I have been leaving on my PS3 at chunks at a time to get to 35 hours. Its fun though, you can really screw around. But stupid Bear emblem is a pain.

hirokazu said:
Yeah, this is my point exactly.

That makes no sense.
If the first shot takes out FoxDie, Vamp would not have the reaction he does when you inject him.

I think you're right on the last part.

But what Drebin injects suppresses the nanomachines Snake was injected with in MGS1, since they interfered with the operation of his laundered weapons, that was clearly stated in Act 1. It doesn't make him part of SOP because the laundered weapons are outside the SOP. The reason Snake is partly affected whenever Liquid tries to experiment on SOP is because it is based on FoxDie technology, and Snake still has the old FoxDie within in, as well as the new variant Drebin injects in him.

I don't think the syringe Naomi uses on herself does anything but inject more cancer controlling/life support nanomachines. she does not have the SOP system so she wouldn't have a need to control her nanomachines. Vamp is an example of this, he has the same nanomachines keeping him alive, but he isn't affected by SOP.

I think the most logical answer is that Naomi's syringe has only life support nanomachines, but the syringe she gives Snake and uses to kill herself and Vamp is completely different and contains something that suppresses the effects of the nanomachines, as well as giving users a drug-like effect of a performance boost and stress reliever.

Guys, Drebin injected Snake with
the new FOXDIE strain, which was meant to kill those plotting against the patriots, Naomi being one of them. When Naomi comes in contact with Snake, she recieves the virus. I guess she'd be using two different syringes, or an overdose of it would have adverse effects, as she tells Snake. My guess is that by getting injected multiple times in a very short time, as her and Vamp do after the Raiden and Vamp fight, would take away the supressing effects of the nanomachines, thus allowing her cancer and FOXDIE to take over and kill her, and allowing Vamp to finally fucking die >_> lol.

Just some thoughts, feel free to tear it apart.

SRG01

NovemberMike said:
In act three, when Snake has the jacket on, if you equip one of the silenced pistols he will put it in his pocket while standing still or walking. It is pretty awesome just walking up to a guard, pulling the gun out of your pocket and shooting them in the face.

What? I tried this with the MK22 tranq and it doesn't work at all. I actually had to unequip it.

hirokazu said:
That makes no sense.

Vamp was never a target of FoxDIE.

A00man said:

Snake has FoxDIE, not SOP in him. The SOP hijack causes his nanomachines to go haywire.

klee123

Hmm on my second run, I'm getting more and more impressed with the technical aspects with the game.

Originally I thought certain cut scenes were actually movies using in game assets like the ones in Uncharted. Such as the one near act 4, however I outfitted Snake with face camo and had a different camo during the cutscene and it still remained the same. The only one I forgot to check was the one during the end of act 3. Can anyone confirm if that was real time or was in a movie format? I've still yet to test out act 5 though.

klee123 said:
Hmm on my second run, I'm getting more and more impressed with the technical aspects with the game.

Originally I thought certain cut scenes were actually movies using in game assets like the ones in Uncharted. Such as the one near act 4, however I outfitted Snake with face camo and had a different camo during the cutscene and it still remained the same. The only one I forgot to check was the one during the end of act 3. Can anyone confirm if that was real time or was in a movie format? I've still yet to test out act 5 though.

Wanna put it to the test? Use any camo but the original, and during the cutscene, shake your remote. Its awesome.

Owzers

I think everyone has to replay the first two acts of MGS 4 just because there wasn't much gameplay in the rest of the game. I finished MGS 4 a couple days ago, it was good entertainment, but it was barely a video game. It wasn't that there were too many cutscenes, i liked the cutscenes, it was that comparitively, there wasn't enough gameplay inbetween them. I wish there were a full game set on the new controls and gameplay flow with the great characters of MGS universe because that stuff is awesome. MGS 4 was an event to be witnessed trying to pull together a massive storyline, but as a game, it wasn't 9 or 10 material for me.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
klee123 said:

MGS has so far never done a fake "real time" FMV, I believe. It's all legitimate real time graphics... and I think you can manipulate the camera any scene MGS2-4.

AKS

sillymonkey321 said:
I think everyone has to replay the first two acts of MGS 4 just because there wasn't much gameplay in the rest of the game. I finished MGS 4 a couple days ago, it was good entertainment, but it was barely a video game. It wasn't that there were too many cutscenes, i liked the cutscenes, it was that comparitively, there wasn't enough gameplay inbetween them. I wish there were a full game set on the new controls and gameplay flow with the great characters of MGS universe because that stuff is awesome. MGS 4 was an event to be witnessed trying to pull together a massive storyline, but as a game, it wasn't 9 or 10 material for me.

I've played MGS4/ MGO every day since it was released and am eager to try for the Big Boss emblem, so I guess we're going to disagree about this one. It's the best game of this generation in my opinion.

sillymonkey321 said:

There is more game in MGS4 than most games of this gen. Plus its has replay value through the roof. Just cause there was a lot of cutscenes does not mean there was not a lot of game.

Orlics

Ether_Snake's opinions might be unorthodox (at least, on a forum with relatively casual MGS fans like GAF) but he has done his research, so he has a lot of credibility. Don't just blatantly "disregard" his opinions, hear them out for yourselves and decide.

I really hate asking for help, but at this point I'm beyond frustrated. How in God's fucking name do you get through the
tanker (Outer Haven)
without being seen? I've tried everything I can think of, but I can only make it halfway, just before the Gekkos. I take out every sniper I can see, but the fucking ground troops always magically spot me, even at 99% camo. I'm so close to getting the Stealth camo that I can taste it, but this final part has me ripping my hair out.

Awntawn

disappeared said:
I really hate asking for help, but at this point I'm beyond frustrated. How in God's fucking name do you get through the
tanker (Outer Haven)
without being seen? I've tried everything I can think of, but I can only make it halfway, just before the Gekkos. I take out every sniper I can see, but the fucking ground troops always magically spot me, even at 99% camo. I'm so close to getting the Stealth camo that I can taste it, but this final part has me ripping my hair out.
There's a ladder if you go the left side with some catwalks/vents you can climb over the majority of the map with. You're gonna have to deal with a couple frogs that jump down at the end and the first few that come at you, but I do believe you can bypass a lot of the ones patrolling the area like this

Awntawn said:
There's a ladder if you go the left side with some catwalks/vents you can climb over the majority of the map with. You're gonna have to deal with a couple frogs that jump down at the end and the first few that come at you, but I do believe you can bypass a lot of the ones patrolling the area like this

Yeah I saw that vent and was wondering if I could roll-jump on top of it. I'll try it tommorow after work. Thanks for the tip.

Orlics said:
Ether_Snake's opinions might be unorthodox (at least, on a forum with relatively casual MGS fans like GAF) but he has done his research, so he has a lot of credibility. Don't just blatantly "disregard" his opinions, hear them out for yourselves and decide.

You know that he actually believes that Ryan Payton hates MGS? And that this is the reason that MGS4 ist not what HE wanted it to be? So in this regard he lost all credibility....

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and theories. I have my theories about the MGS universe and most of you guys have your own. We shouldn't be fucking trying to out people on what they say just because something they say sounds far-fetched to you or I.

AKS

disappeared said:
tanker (Outer Haven)

There's more than one way to do it.
You can also crawl on the ground and tranquilize everything. The challenging part is the Geckos. You can tranquilize their legs and run past them or blow those bastards' heads off with the rail gun if you can avoid being seen. Be aware that the higher the difficulty, the keener the enemies' senses are. Also, there are some sniping FROGS you need to tranq on the upper level before trying to open the door. Also be sure to check the corners near that door (the outside walls) before trying to open it. If a FROG sees you move while crawling and you have a high cammo rating, she'll probably freeze and look at you for a moment instead of an automatic alert. Tranq her with the silenced MkII immediately! A body shot's usually OK, but DON'T MOVE until she drops and you're sure no one can see you.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I finished the game last night... then fell alseep during the ending.

Im not the biggest fan of the franchise so I felt there was just too much blabbering in general. I don't mind the length of the cut scenes, but the story needs some trimming. It would be more effective if it was easier to understand. So many explanations that in the end I just did not care.

I feel the need to replay this game as its just asking for it. I dont feel this way about many other games. I think it will get better the more times I replay it.

disappeared said:
tanker (Outer Haven)

You will notice that the alarm is going off so the guards are on alert status the whole floor and the alert timer is not counting down.

I just blasted my way through them all.
Hardest part was opening the door as the geckos kick ya while you doing it, if u blast them with a few grenades they kinda fall down and remain motionless for a bit, then is your chance to get the door. I must have used 5 or 6 rations to get through this area. Easily the hardest in the whole game imo.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
sillymonkey321 said:
Agreed. The first two acts of the game were perfect. The gameplay was excellent and there were just the right amount of cutscenes. After act 2 it all goes wrong though. There are far too many cutscenes and the standard of gameplay drops significantly. Act 3 was unbelievably boring. I like a bit of variety, but its got to be good and act 3 was just a tedious bit to play through. Act 4 wasnt as good as the first two acts, but overall I thought it was pretty good. Act 5 is basically an interactive cutscene. In the trailers everything we saw was in a warzone,
but in the actual game there were only two acts that were like that
. Now there were a load of cutscenes in this game and it annoyed me, but I wouldnt have minded it as much if there was more gameplay though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom