• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Wtf Laughing Octopus is hard. :( I only got her to 50%... thought I was doing great and then she rolled over me twice and I died. Took like 20 mins to get to that point too... and 5 close range rockets. Guess I'll try again later. :(

Tieno

So far I really like it, more than MGS2. Everything is improved, voice acting especially. Controls way better too, music is still as good as ever. Graphics are also best on PS3, some of the surface effects (Akabi's mask and glasses) I've never seen before in a game, really cool. Very consistent graphics and really well done and expressive in-game facial models.

I'm playing it on easy (I get easily frustrated in stealth games)Don't know if I should crank it up as I've never died so far but I'm enjoying the ride.

Darkpen

Banned
Meier said:
Wtf Laughing Octopus is hard. :( I only got her to 50%... thought I was doing great and then she rolled over me twice and I died. Took like 20 mins to get to that point too... and 5 close range rockets. Guess I'll try again later. :(
she's not hard D:

hint: buy the
Mosin Nagant

Darkpen

Banned
Meier said:
"she's not hard D:"

Anyone who can take 5 rockets at close range = hard!
See, here's the thing:

when I played MGS4 the first time, I didn't go balls out "I'M GONNA USE ROCKET LAUNCHERS AND HIGH-CALIBUR WEAPONS, HUR HUR HUR"

I went with tranqs, the stun knife, and CQC. Clearly, purchasing the Mosin Nagant early on for me was the right choice to make.

Though, of course, you could always cheat.

oh, and when you get to the second half of the fight (you'll know when you see it happen, after a brief cutscene), I suggest throwing stun grenades at her feet. Its the quickest way.

Meier

Darkpen said:
See, here's the thing:

when I played MGS4 the first time, I didn't go balls out "I'M GONNA USE ROCKET LAUNCHERS AND HIGH-CALIBUR WEAPONS, HUR HUR HUR"

Yeah, I've only used my rocket launcher twice.. took down the heli both times. I've just been using tranqs basically the whole time personally. I'm sure I can get her the next time, it was just frustrating to die kind of out of nowhere.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Darkpen said:
oh, and when you get to the second half of the fight (you'll know when you see it happen, after a brief cutscene), I suggest throwing stun grenades at her feet. Its the quickest way.

Yep. Another trick is to lay down on the ground and keep distance from her. After a while she will crawl as well, unable to do those fast strafes, hence becoming easy target for whatever weapon.

Returners

Meier said:
Yeah, I've only used my rocket launcher twice.. took down the heli both times. I've just been using tranqs basically the whole time personally. I'm sure I can get her the next time, it was just frustrating to die kind of out of nowhere.

Rail Gun. Its super effective! :D

Meier said:
There are plenty of tools to help you take her down.

Codec support, all the equipment.

I didn't even need the Solid Eye to reveal her position. My surround sound was so awesome, I could just hear her position as she taunts.

Pimpwerx

Well, finally got my BBE... at least I hope it appears after these credits finish rolling. Thanks to the infinite saves, it wasn't the hard. I really, really wish I had gotten the solar gun first though. Some of those skirmishes really called for that weapon. I was gonna wait for trophy-support to be announced for this game, but I think I'll just go ahead and finish the rest of the emblems. Anyone know if the game save file is locked for this game ala Uncharted? PEACE.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I didn't even buy the mosin until I got to Mantis, and only b/c I was running really low on tranq ammo. Not to anyone attempting the BBE, load up on tranq ammo before attempting it. Drebin doesn't sell that shit on TBE difficulty. :(

Tieno

Is the intro cutscene(s) to act 2 a mix of real live action footage and game-engine? The snake and the white hamster/rodent and then the first seconds of when they show the village with the PMCs coming into view. I honestly can't tell.

BigBoss

Tieno said:
Is the intro cutscene(s) to act 2 a mix of real live action footage and game-engine? The snake and the white hamster/rodent and then the first seconds of when they show the village with the PMCs coming into view. I honestly can't tell.

100% realtime.

Norml

Tieno said:

You can zoom in and look around at that part.

Miburou

Meier said:

I was playing on Hard and she didn't hit me more than a couple of times.
When she hides, if you can hit her before she reappears, she'll just keep hiding, camouflaging herself, so you could beat her without getting hit once. So the trick is to locate her quickly and get the jump on her.

So I really enjoyed the credit song and I looked into it further. Here are the lyrics.

"Here's to you, Nicola and Bart.
Rest forever here in our hearts.
The last and final moment is yours.
The agony is your triumph."

The lyrics are about Ferdinando Nicola Sacco and Bartolomeo Vanzetti who were given unfair trials in 1927 due to an anti-italian, anti-immigrant, and anti-anarchist judge. They were innocent victims in an entire game played out by fate, but ended up sending a message throughout the world.

To me, this felt very appropriate to the game and attributes Solid Snake's role as being the chess piece but finally being free in the end while helping to send a message to everyone in the world.

Darkpen

Banned
Iaido Sword said:
So I really enjoyed the credit song and I looked into it further. Here are the lyrics.

"Here's to you, Nicola and Bart.
Rest forever here in our hearts.
The last and final moment is yours.
The agony is your triumph."

The lyrics are about Ferdinando Nicola Sacco and Bartolomeo Vanzetti who were given unfair trials in 1927 due to an anti-italian, anti-immigrant, and anti-anarchist judge. They were innocent victims in an entire game played out by fate, but ended up sending a message throughout the world.

To me, this felt very appropriate to the game and attributes Solid Snake's role as being the chess piece but finally being free in the end while helping to send a message to everyone in the world.
It is a nice song. I find myself humming it every now and then.

This was discussed a few pages back, but its worth mentioning that one of the discarded "endings" that Kojima was gonna try was where at the end of the game, Otacon and Snake were going to turn themselves in since they saved the world through illegal means, and they were executed D:

Darkpen said:
It is a nice song. I find myself humming it every now and then.

This was discussed a few pages back, but its worth mentioning that one of the discarded "endings" that Kojima was gonna try was where at the end of the game, Otacon and Snake were going to turn themselves in since they saved the world through illegal means, and they were executed D:
If you heard the original, it's quite hippie. :lol

Darkpen said:
you did get to do the final battle, there was NOTHING at the gunboat scene, you DID get to play the escape from the church, or do you mean that you wanted it to not be on-rails? And the
"track and field inspired ending crawl" WAS played. Hell, that has to be the most emotional (and best) execution of button mashing/QTE ever done in any game. It marries gameplay and cutscene in such a wonderful way. That scene was so powerful; it really really really was the game's obligatory torture sequence. Mashing triangle, and seeing Snake struggle, and seeing all kinds of shit happening on the top screen, and just hearing Otacon's pleading cries made me break out into tears, to be honest. Hearing Otacon, and hearing the Old Snake song, and just, wow.

I can't believe you're making that scene an "example" of where you feel that the control over the scene was taken away from you.

Really now. Your complaints don't hold much water from the angle you're coming from.

Well, there was the scene when Big Mama and Snake went into the sewers. That could have been playable and mirror the end of 3.

Darkpen

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Well, there was the scene when Big Mama and Snake went into the sewers. That could have been playable and mirror the end of 3.
eaaaaaaaaagh

I hated that in MGS3, why would I want that again D:

I imagine that they actually did implement that as a gameplay segment at one point, but just... I really hated it, and I imagine it would've just sucked ass.

Awntawn

MoonsaultSlayer said:
That was the vibe i was getting as well when going into that scene. Imagine my
relief
when it wasn't ;p

SRG01

Pimpwerx said:
Well, finally got my BBE... at least I hope it appears after these credits finish rolling. Thanks to the infinite saves, it wasn't the hard. I really, really wish I had gotten the solar gun first though. Some of those skirmishes really called for that weapon. I was gonna wait for trophy-support to be announced for this game, but I think I'll just go ahead and finish the rest of the emblems. Anyone know if the game save file is locked for this game ala Uncharted? PEACE.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I didn't even buy the mosin until I got to Mantis, and only b/c I was running really low on tranq ammo. Not to anyone attempting the BBE, load up on tranq ammo before attempting it. Drebin doesn't sell that shit on TBE difficulty. :(

This may be a bit late, but the tranq gun and the Mosin use different types of ammo. :lol

Darkpen said:
See, here's the thing:

I went with tranqs, the stun knife, and CQC. Clearly, purchasing the Mosin Nagant early on for me was the right choice to make.

Though, of course, you could always cheat.

Tranqs work the best because it softens up their Beauty form ten-fold. Three or four tranq shots or two or three stun grenades and they're done. I love how the game rewards defeating the BB Corps nonviolently.

Awntawn

disappeared said:
Tranqs work the best because it softens up their Beauty form ten-fold. Three or four tranq shots or two or three stun grenades and they're done. I love how the game rewards defeating the BB Corps nonviolently.
Most effective method I've ever seen of dealing with Beauty forms is the ol' Drum Can molestation D;

Darkpen

Banned
Awntawn said:
Most effective method I've ever seen of dealing with Beauty forms is the ol' Drum Can molestation D;
actually, tipping over in a drum can makes them automatically get on all 4, instead of waiting around for it.

Darkpen said:
actually, tipping over in a drum can makes them automatically get on all 4, instead of waiting around for it.
Waiting for... it?
2s0ed0g.jpg

TTP's picture.

Awntawn said:
That was the vibe i was getting as well when going into that scene. Imagine my
relief
when it wasn't ;p

Well yeah. The holding hand gameplay sucked in 3. But she did say there were fewer of them down there. I was hoping for a stealthy run through the sewers where you had to think of a way to get her through certain areas without being seen instead of trying to protect her in shootouts. I imagine the mk. II would have been spammed here but hey, whatever works.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Darkpen said:
eaaaaaaaaagh

I hated that in MGS3, why would I want that again D:

I imagine that they actually did implement that as a gameplay segment at one point, but just... I really hated it, and I imagine it would've just sucked ass.

Is sucked ass with the old camera/control scheme. Not sure it would have turn out as bad with the new one.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Liabe Brave said:
I don't believe this. First, plot-changing twists are a staple of the series. Second, it sets up even more parallels to previous games, which is a running trope in MGS4. Finally, without the twist--as you yourself pointed out--the game isn't about anything. It's just tying up loose plot ends. Do you really think Hideo Kojima was going to make a game without a theme or a meaning, and only belatedly changed his mind? That seems way more far-fetched to me than any of the convolutions MGS4 knots itself in. :D

The twist is necessary to drive home the theme of this entry, which is redemption. Major and minor, acts of expiation and self-sacrifice litter the landscape: Naomi redeems herself, Big Mama does, Akiba does, Campbell does, Raiden does. . . . And yes, Kojima nearly demolishes the entire backstory just so he can have Big Boss and Ocelot redeem themselves too (at least partially).

I believe the setting for the "debriefing" is making a point about all this martyrdom. The Boss' idealism of a unified world inspired many, but none of them saw that not uniformity but uniform liberty was the goal. In the end, their sacrifices gave up the sterilized world free from conflict they once fought for, in favor of actual freedom.

Actually there was a lot of parallels to past games that had been set up in MGS3 and MPO and that got squashed with MGS4:

We were led to believe that many had their own views of what The Boss' ideals were (Zero and Co., Ocelot, Gene, and Big Boss, all had a different view of her ideals since all pretended to be successors to her, yet all ended up committing atrocities alien to her ideals). Also, MPO brought back the theme of "some men can't live without war" back. It was the whole Gray Fox scenario made more important; some people need war, they can't function in society, they can only live through war. This is also echoed by Big Boss at the end of the game, which he claims about himself.

Meanwhile, we know that Zero was behind the "Perfect Soldier" project. Considering Zero's taste for control, it sorts of became obvious that Zero would seek to establish an organization that would have to contain/control these "men who can't live without war". Big Boss was pretty much the proof of how dangerous they could be when he created Outer Heaven.

So we could see how Zero would seek to not only create an AI to carry on his will, because as The Boss said:

"Is there such thing as an absolute timeless enemy? There is no such thing and never has been. And the reason is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."

And this was very true by now to Zero's eyes; his organization was falling apart like The Philosophers before, another parallel, a theme that was supposed to be central to the game; according to Kojima MGS4's "theme" was sense: "how do we keep someone's sense digitally after they have passed way, how that sense is not the equivalent of will which is something that can't be preserved". Hence how a digital preservation of someone's sense could still end up leading to events that would have gone against that person's will, another parallel to what happened with The Boss' ideals after her death.

We also would come to understand how Zero would also need a system to keep "men of war" in control; enter SOP.

SOP was supposed to represent war made routine; Snake's hymn at the beginning of the game to how war has changed (too bad he only talks about smoking cigarettes for the rest of the game instead of continuing to speak as he did by the end of MGS2 and during that hymn to war) specifically mentions how war is now under complete control (yet not erased or prevented), and has become a mere routine (like a routine in a bigger system). War would be outright created by The Patriots because otherwise war would erupt randomly and dangerously, but it would be under control; the "men of war" would always have a place they belonged to, forever fighting but at the same time being kept under complete control.

A sort of "artificial" Outer Heaven.

This also tied in again to the idea of "sense" and the parallel to what happened with The Boss ideal's; The Boss' "hope to unite mankind" became Zero's will to control mankind future, and Big Boss' "hope to allow all men who could not live without war to have a place to call home" (which ties back to MPO and what Solidus clearly speaks of in MGS2 when it comes to be forbidden from passing over anything to the next generations) became Zero's will to control these men of war instead of giving them freedom.

It made sense, the whole series had been continuously shaped into that direction, and further so with each new game.

But I think somewhere down the line, the dead Zero and Big Boss and their "digitized sense" became the "living but very old Zero and healthy Big Boss and we have to come up with a way to explain that".

If Big Boss and Zero were dead, and if we had the ending were Snake died, only to be known as a madman to the rest of the world but having actually freed it, then maybe you can see how the past games seemed to have a very tight story that had been mostly about:

1- The Boss's theme: Since friends and foes change with the time, "because they are human", should the ideals behind leading humanity's progress be devoid of humanity so as to remain forever true, or should we simply accept our fates, loyal to the end, even if it means we may face each other in battle?

2- The Big Boss/theme: Since everyone should have a right to pass over to the next generation what they believe in; eliminating the freedom to war for humanity's progress would prevent a part of mankind to pass on to future generations what it can only pass through conflict.

Since the AI is modeled after Zero's vision of The Boss and Big Boss, a vision of respect no less but one that led to the opposite of what both would have desired in the end, it resulted in:

1- Humanity is united against its own will: Control of humanity through information and manipulation; forcefully uniting mankind, raising ally against foe when needed and uniting them under common causes when it benefits humanity's progress. The anti-thesis of what The Boss sought to accomplish, something much more reminiscent of what she described what The Philosophers had become (just like Gene's description of his "Army's Heaven" was outright rejected by Big Boss; the way he described it was no different than the way The Boss described what The Philosophers had become, again showing a parallel to how ventures to forcefully create an ideal world would always fail in the same manner, just like The Patriots later fail too).

2- The freedom to war is preserved, yet the war is devoid of freedom: The right to war, to seek revolution, to confront, is preserved within the system, except in reality all are fighting with "The Guns of The Patriots"; When the battlefield is under total control, war becomes routine. This, again, for the sake of humanity's progress.

"The Philosophers of today have no sense of good or evil. Their influence extends to countries and organizations involved in every aspect of every war. They have become war itself. That's how they operate. The sacrifices of war cause a shift in the times. This shift leads to renewed conflict and in turn triggers the next war. Like a nuclear chain reaction, each conflict sparks countless others, forming an endless spiral of war that will continue on for eternity. Do you understand what I'm saying, Snake? By consuming me and you the Philosophers intend to keep their cycle going forever."

And they did, ironically, under Zero's Patriots: through the preservation of The Boss' and Big Boss' ideals, albeit devoid of the original's will, it always leads to the same catastrophic results.

A lot of the recent developments in the story had been pointing at a more solid story, which I feel fell apart with the changes brought by the Big Boss ending. Big Boss did speak of the above, and his speech about how in the end he finally understood what The Boss meant, "let the world be" meaning don't try to change the world, simply live through it and endure, etc. But it was very messy, and a lot of the past games was glossed over and certain elements which had been hinted during the build up to MGS4 were never explored as a result.

The worst to me is how the line of repeated mistakes based on The Boss' will (Gene seeing himself as her successor ends up trying to create something akin to The Philosophers he hated, same thing with Big Boss and his Outer Heaven, same thing with Liquid and his own Outer Haven, and in a way possibly similarly so with Ocelot considering how he says in MPO he wants to make the world The Boss (his mother no less) envisioned a reality) suddenly was no longer relevant; Liquid Ocelot was not the result of two individuals seeking to fulfill the wills of The Boss and Big Boss through, fatefully, one individual, but just Ocelot's plan to revive Big Boss and have Zero and his Patriots organization killed. Disappointing and I can't believe it was the original intention considering all the above.

I think they scrapped a good chunk of what was originally supposed to be more about the "sense" theme which Kojima said was to MGS4 what genes were to MGS1, meme to MGS2, scene to MGS3, and specifically said that it was supposed to be about "digitally preserving someone's sense after they have passed away", and I also think that Snake dying at the end was as such supposed to have different repercussions on the rest of the game and more specifically how the story would be told.

The new questions that resulted from the sudden introduction of a "Snatcher Project" in the MGS world were unnecessary to me.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
:lol

Yeah I guess it makes up for that being only my second post in this thread;)

But whatever, I could condense my feelings as such: LOVE the controls, finally MGS is fun to play throughout, but very sad at how short it was, and felt like the story wasted its time explaining stuff I never had a problem with (Vamp walking on water, etc.) and not enough on the established story.

I feel like Kojima had to please people who bitched a lot about the past games, when I who never had a problem with the wackiness of the series had to be left with a cold dish:|

Anyway thanks to the new controls, I hope they continue the series (but a new story please) or make something new along the MGS lines. They got good foundations. Hopefully we don't have to wait 3 years!

Orlics

Red Blaster said:
Ether_Snake's absolutely insane. At MGS.org he posted a theory about how Ryan Payton's former association with Xbox Nation means that he never was a "true" fan of the series, thus when he joined Kojima Productions he proceeded in sabotaging MGS4.

er, I don't believe that either, but it doesn't mean you have to discount all his opinions about the MGS world.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Red Blaster said:
Ether_Snake's absolutely insane. At MGS.org he posted a theory about how Ryan Payton's former association with Xbox Nation means that he never was a "true" fan of the series, thus when he joined Kojima Productions he proceeded in sabotaging MGS4.

:lol You're really defensive. I said Ryan Payton was probably tasked by Konami higher ups to find things that would make the game poorly received in certain aspects, and not just controls or translation (like, being afraid of an MGS2 reception as far as certain subjects were concerned), because they wanted to make the game more "Western-oriented" as they said, and I felt that Ryan was getting a lot of attention from Konami considering he even has a whole chapter to himself and his family on the special edition DVD which was really strange if Konami didn't want to maybe make him a more well-known figure. You said "pffft! he was just in charge of the controls nothing more!" and I said how it wouldn't surprise me that Ryan would end up proposing changes to the story based on what he read people didn't like on forums since he didn't seem to be a fan of the series before his arrival at KP (demonstrated, in part, by a post about MGS2 on a forum and also how it seemed like MGS2 was his first MGS game, etc.).

Don't distort my words. Plus, I then erased the post because I said in the end it was an unfair guess that I shouldn't direct at Ryan, and instead thanked him for the changes he to brought the controls because they were much needed.

But if you want to go on a little crusade, calling me names, etc., be my guess, but you can put the wooden stake and garlic down now.

Darkpen

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
:lol You're really defensive. I said Ryan Payton was probably tasked by Konami higher ups to find things that would make the game poorly received in certain aspects, and not just controls or translation (like, being afraid of an MGS2 reception as far as certain subjects were concerned), because they wanted to make the game more "Western-oriented" as they said, and I felt that Ryan was getting a lot of attention from Konami considering he even has a whole chapter to himself and his family on the special edition DVD which was really strange if Konami didn't want to maybe make him a more well-known figure. You said "pffft! he was just in charge of the controls nothing more!" and I said how it wouldn't surprise me that Ryan would end up proposing changes to the story based on what he read people didn't like on forums since he didn't seem to be a fan of the series before his arrival at KP (demonstrated, in part, by a post about MGS2 and also how it seemed like MGS2 was his first MGS game, etc.).

Don't distort my words. Plus, I then erased the post because I said in the end it was an unfair guess that I shouldn't direct at Ryan, and instead thanked him for the changes he to brought the controls because they were much needed.

But if you want to go on a little crusade, calling me names, etc., be my guess, but you can put the wooden stake and garlic down now.
D:

D:

DAMN THE PATRIOTS

Johnas

Ether_Snake said:
:lol

Yeah I guess it makes up for that being only my second post in this thread;)

But whatever, I could condense my feelings as such: LOVE the controls, finally MGS is fun to play throughout, but very sad at how short it was, and felt like the story wasted its time explaining stuff I never had a problem with (Vamp walking on water, etc.) and not enough on the established story.

I feel like Kojima had to please people who bitched a lot about the past games, when I who never had a problem with the wackiness of the series had to be left with a cold dish:|

Anyway thanks to the new controls, I hope they continue the series (but a new story please) or make something new along the MGS lines. They got good foundations. Hopefully we don't have to wait 3 years!

I honestly think you're on to something with all that posted above. Just to let you know you're not alone. ;) It makes a lot of sense to me. (no pun intended)

However, are you saying they explained how Vamp was able to walk on water? Did I miss that?

BigBoss

Johnas said:
I honestly think you're on to something with all that posted above. Just to let you know you're not alone. ;) It makes a lot of sense to me. (no pun intended)

However, are you saying they explained how Vamp was able to walk on water? Did I miss that?

They never explained that and they don't need to. I really don't understand why Kojima felt the need to explain every little detail in MGS4, there are plenty of supernatural elements in the MGS series that have no explanation.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm only on the second stage but there's been a bunch of juicy info already.
Like Campbell hooking up with Raiden's chick.

Johnas

BigBoss said:
They never explained that and they don't need to. I really don't understand why Kojima felt the need to explain every little detail in MGS4, there are plenty of supernatural elements in the MGS series that have no explanation.

Oh I agree, don't get me wrong.

I'd say it's pretty obvious why he did it, the superfans assaulted him for not initially intending to explain what happened after the end of MGS2, this way he did everything he could to make sure he wouldn't have to deal with all that crap again. It is unfortunate.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Johnas said:

Oh I got it confused with sticking to walls really. But that's the thing, why bother explain that if you then can't explain walking on water so you just leave it out. Was there an unmanned stealthed vehicle hidden under the water serving as a platform for his feet?:p

How do you explain The Fury? The Sorrow? Etc. It is not needed to explain it. To me, MGS is closer to how Ninja Scroll was sometimes realistic, yet sometimes not. In fact, I don't think any other piece of work is closer to MGS in terms of mix of realism and fiction than Ninja Scroll, very similar.

I was cool with that, a military-oriented game with paranormal elements AND they don't bother to delve on them too much? COOL! But in MGS4 it was like someone felt that all that had been a mistake and needed to be changed, as if the series had been "wrong" in its direction. I really don't feel like, after MGS3 and MPO (which has paranormal stuff a plenty too), that Kojima really wanted to negate the past of the series. Heck, the scene where The Boss' scar left her body in the form of a snake was beautiful, it was a symbol of her pain finally leaving her now that she was freed from the battlefield, etc. But in MGS4 it's all nanomachines and plot holes when it gets too wild to be explained with tech. It doesn't feel like it's what Kojima would have really made MGS4 like.

Also,
while the game spent time trying to explain such pointless things and putting a forceful spin on the story, other aspects of the saga were left in the dark, even pre-MGS4 details like what happened to Raiden. Campbell never reacts to Snake's old appearance when he meets him, so did they meet again since MGS1 then? Why does Snake never ask Raiden what happened to him? Why do we never find out why it's not Snake who went to rescue Sunny like he said he would? Why do we never really get a full grasp of the rise of The Patriots and their subsequent fall? Etc.

And then the Eva and Ocelot working together to find pieces of Liquid and Solidus and bring back Big Boss to life, blah blah blah, all so overly complicated for nothing.
Johnas said:
Oh I agree, don't get me wrong.

I'd say it's pretty obvious why he did it, the superfans assaulted him for not initially intending to explain what happened after the end of MGS2, this way he did everything he could to make sure he wouldn't have to deal with all that crap again. It is unfortunate.

But I'm a superfan! Always have been:p Yet in the end I didn't have a problem with MGS2. It was just very vocal people. Look at the whole "oh no! Diablo 3 looks like WoW!" crap. Just a day before people were yelling that all games were too brown, and the next day it's not brown enough.

As a dev, I don't want to bother and hear what gamers think about anything except controls and gameflow, two things that are in the end half based on opinions, half based on sound logic. The rest is too relative or obvious enough not to require input from outside sources.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I want a Hideo face-camo! :lol

Or imagine if they made Akio Ohtsuka face camo! That would be cool.

BigBoss said:

It's explained in an optional codec conversation with Otacon in Act 2.

Snake asks Otacon why the Haven Troopers are able to scale walls, and Otacon tells him that they use some sort of friction technology.

It's suggested that Vamp used the same technology in Sons of Liberty.

Johnas

Ether_Snake said:
I was cool with that, a military-oriented game with paranormal elements AND they don't bother to delve on them too much? COOL! But in MGS4 it was like someone felt that all that had been a mistake and needed to be changed, as if the series had been "wrong" in its direction. I really don't feel like, after MGS3 and MPO (which has paranormal stuff a plenty too), that Kojima really wanted to negate the past of the series. Heck, the scene where The Boss' scar left her body in the form of a snake was beautiful, it was a symbol of her pain finally leaving her now that she was freed from the battlefield, etc. But in MGS4 it's all nanomachines and plot holes when it gets too wild to be explained with tech. It doesn't feel like it's what Kojima would have really made MGS4 like.

So agreed. I was always very comfortable with the combination of military realism and unexplainable sci-fi, that was a huge aspect that helped define the series. An attempt at a logical explanation subtracts all the mystique. It's not like it was overly saturated with it anyway.

But I'm a superfan! Always have been:p Yet in the end I didn't have a problem with MGS2. It was just very vocal people. Look at the whole "oh no! Diablo 3 looks like WoW!" crap. Just a day before people were yelling that all games were too brown, and the next day it's not brown enough.

As a dev, I don't want to bother and hear what gamers think about anything except controls and gameflow, two things that are in the end half based on opinions, half based on sound logic. The rest is too relative or obvious enough not to require input from outside sources.

Yeah, I meant superfan in the most negative sense of the word there. ;) I love the series, hence my disappointment in the way the story turned out. But people making death-threats to the man is beyond asinine; that's a special breed of moron.

On my third run-through of the game I skipped all the cutscenes and thoroughly enjoyed the gameplay. I still feel like the game lacks a sense of cohesion. I do understand the grand sense they attempted to employ by having each act take place in a different part of the world, but I still can't help but think the game is disjointed as a result. On one hand I appreciate the variety, but I think the overall game would be stronger if every act was similar in structure and gameplay style to 1 and 2. If 3 and 4 did something like that, and then 5 took that and ramped it up even further, I think the game as a whole would feel more evolutionary. All imo of course, I know many would disagree.

SRG01

... I'm doing the
3rd part of the chase (with all the unmanned fliers) on TBE and I can't beat it!

I've tried autoaim, V-Rings, and all that, and it doesn't work. 20% of the time I can get to the sniper, at which I die immediately because of a nearby Frog. I managed to get pass it once but that's about it.

Smoke grenades and stun grenades aren't effective enough. I even turned off autoaim and tried aiming in the distance. I can manage to get to the roadblock with the jeep and two frogs but that's about it. :(

hirokazu

Ether_Snake said:
I want a Hideo face-camo! :lol

Or imagine if they made Akio Ohtsuka face camo! That would be cool.
I really dislike how the
beauties FaceCamos have their suits go up all up to the cheeks. They look crap and dead. Especially Kikuchi, she looks like she came from a Japanese horror movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom