• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
BlockBastard said:
I just killed a bunch of civilians during the ending getaway sequence of Act 2 expecting angry phone calls from my support-team, but I got nothing.

worst game ever.

The codec in this game is crap and useless. Next time I'd rather not have it if they're gonna do it like this.

BTW, did anyone notice that Rose sometimes changes clothes? I dunno if it was because of the act I was in or the day I played, but one sunday I noticed she was wearing a blue outfit.

Dez

So when
Ocelot was trying to run snake over with Outer Haven, I guess he knew that Raiden would be able to stop the whole ship by himself. Aferall, Ocelot was using Snake and had planned this all along..
:lol what a joke of a story.

Darkpen

Banned
jett said:
The codec in this game is crap and useless. Next time I'd rather not have it if they're gonna do it like this.

BTW, did anyone notice that Rose sometimes changes clothes? I dunno if it was because of the act I was in or the day I played, but one sunday I noticed she was wearing a blue outfit.
yeah, she changes her blouse every now and then, though I don't know if its a day-to-day sort of deal.

TTP said:
use the syringe on you and on meryl. hide behind computer to avoid blades. roll away from dash attacks. shoot at mantis doll. repeat until win
you can
syringe on Meryl?? Really? I've gotta try this :lol. When I did my Big Boss run, I basically just did what I've been doing since the first time I ever fought Mantis, which was to run to the highest outer-ring of the area, and shoot everyone from a distance. For shooting the doll, I set my M4 to burst. When Mantis protects her dolls, I launch off a stun nade from Raven's launcher. I find all of the fights fairly easy D:

Also, has anyone figured out how to making the laughing and raging camos work? I haven't had a single reaction from any soldiers :(

Awntawn

Dez said:
So when
Ocelot was trying to run snake over with Outer Haven, I guess he knew that Raiden would be able to stop the whole ship by himself. Aferall, Ocelot was using Snake and had planned this all along..
:lol what a joke of a story.
You misunderstand, it's not that Ocelot was "faking the role of the villain the whole time." it's not that simplistic like you and a bunch of people like to downplay it. The whole explanation for Ocelot being possessed by Liquid's persona was not to change it into something like that, it's only to explain the manner in which it happened - as a sort of hypnotic trance that he willingly entered, instead of the original explanation of being possessed by an arm - which was pushed to a coverup. But ultimately, it was a trance. Essentially that was Liquid's persona, not Ocelot. Ocelot was a good guy, but when he let the Liquid persona take over, that Liquid genuinely wanted to kill Snake. Supposedly Ocelot trusted that Liquid would not be successful in doing so, so he allowed it to take over and let the situation play out so that it could take place genuinely, because any attempts at faking would be caught and stopped by the Patriots. It wasn't so much a plan as it was a huge gamble. It's safe to say that had fake-Liquid succeeded in killing Snake, it would have happened, and it would have been a major miscalculation on Ocelot's part, and then they would all be fucked.

Have you ever watched Angel? Think about that arch where he purposely let Angelus take over - because they needed him in order to accomplish a certain task. The explanation for Liquid Ocelot was something more like that, not the "Oh, I'm planning every event out at the palm of my hand and am just pretending to be evil." It was meant to be a The Boss-esque sacrifice, with Ocelot essentially sacrificing himself by chosing to not just pretend to be a villain, but actually, through the whole Liquid persona fiasco, become it.

Ether_Snake said:
Well now all I can do is wait for E3. I'm sure KP has something to tease us about, and then we'll probably get a full unveiling at TGS. Project Snatcher (could happen, Kojima wanted to make an online game with zombies where if you get bitten you have to play as a zombie, but this would work well in the Snatcher world too because you would play as a human and then if you get hunted down by your Snatcher and killed you have to continue to play as the Snatcher!), or ZOE3!!!:)
Snatcher would be killer.

atomico

k, how do you tranq
crying wolf, again?
playing on BBH, btw, and I'm going for the BB statues so no rail gunnin'. Not using healing items either, just for the hell of it :D

also, anybody remember how to get the "One Night In Neo Kobe" ipod tune?
I read it's on a PMC during Act 3, but I've held up (and searched) over 15 of them in a couple midtown areas, and no luck so far.

btw, is that track all SCC synth like Bio Hazard? I was kinda hoping for the pc engine / mega cd tracks :(

comrade

atomico said:
k, how do you tranq
crying wolf, again?
playing on BBH, btw, and I'm going for the statues so no rail gunnin'. Not using healing items either, just for the hell of it :D

also, anybody remember how to get the "One Night In Neo Kobe" ipod tune?

I read it's on a PMC during Act 3, but I've held up (and searched) over 15 of them in a couple midtown areas, and no luck so far.

btw, is that track all SCC synth like Bio Hazard? I was kinda hoping for the pc engine / mega cd tracks :(
You don't need to tranq her in Beast form, only Beauty. So just rail gun her like normal in the beginning segment.

Tieno

I finished the game a few hours ago and,
I assume, like a lot of others I'm disappointed with the ending. It should have ended with Snake offing himself and cut out all the Rose hospital stuff, Big Boss and the marrying party. All of the fighting, Snake getting cooked, then fighting Ocelot had my psych gauge/meter really high, only to let it drop to such a low due to the dragged out ending.

With that said, I was surprised with just how badly Snake gets beaten up and taken down, it felt like Kojima really wanted to end him and I would have liked if he actually killed himself to further beat that into the ground, but he somehow stands up again. Playing an old man who gets taken to such extremes was very cool experience and it's probably my favourite 'thing' about MGS, playing this unusual hero in a game.

My favourite gameplay parts were probably the tracking mission in Act2 (one time I followed a voice only to be led into a shaq where a radio is playing a tape of Naomi's voice, frustrated I want to stop the tape, see no way and just shoot it and it worked) and the stalking mission in act 3 (especially the part where the Resistance guy takes on PMC clothing and goes to a group of other PMCs and you have to decide who to follow). Really cool gameplay. Snake getting cooked was disturbing and te way you had to mash buttons reminded me of the ending sequence of SOTC.

h3ro

Tieno, you should spoiler some of your post. I don't think we've reached the point since release where we can discuss the story/ending without spoilers. There's an ending thread that we can post in with out spoilers, but from what I've seen, we still need to use them in this one...

SMZC

Awntawn said:
You misunderstand, it's not that Ocelot was "faking the role of the villain the whole time." it's not that simplistic like you and a bunch of people like to downplay it. The whole explanation for Ocelot being possessed by Liquid's persona was not to change it into something like that, it's only to explain the manner in which it happened - as a sort of hypnotic trance that he willingly entered, instead of the original explanation of being possessed by an arm - which was pushed to a coverup. But ultimately, it was a trance. Essentially that was Liquid's persona, not Ocelot. Ocelot was a good guy, but when he let the Liquid persona take over, that Liquid genuinely wanted to kill Snake. Supposedly Ocelot trusted that Liquid would not be successful in doing so, so he allowed it to take over and let the situation play out so that it could take place genuinely, because any attempts at faking would be caught and stopped by the Patriots. It wasn't so much a plan as it was a huge gamble. It's safe to say that had fake-Liquid succeeded in killing Snake, it would have happened, and it would have been a major miscalculation on Ocelot's part, and then they would all be fucked.

Have you ever watched Angel? Think about that arch where he purposely let Angelus take over - because they needed him in order to accomplish a certain task. The explanation for Liquid Ocelot was something more like that, not the "Oh, I'm planning every event out at the palm of my hand and am just pretending to be evil." It was meant to be a The Boss-esque sacrifice, with Ocelot essentially sacrificing himself by chosing to not just pretend to be a villain, but actually, through the whole Liquid persona fiasco, become it.

I've always wanted to believe that Liquid truly took over Ocelot, but in the end Liquid Ocelot himself says that he was expecting Snake to accomplish the mission, and that he (Liquid Ocelot) could have stopped him, but he didn't. So, it certainly seems like Ocelot was aware of what he was doing the whole time.

Tieno

h3ro said:
Tieno, you should spoiler some of your post. I don't think we've reached the point since release where we can discuss the story/ending without spoilers. There's an ending thread that we can post in with out spoilers, but from what I've seen, we still need to use them in this one...
Woops, sorry, thanks for reminding me.

Tieno

h3ro said:
Can someone direct me to that MGS4 ending thread? I can't seem to find the 'search' (think it's taken down?).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Awntawn said:

Which shows how really stupid it was. There was no reason for not making it so that it really was Liquid. And I still think this was changed much later, because otherwise there's no point to it all, it changes nothing, it's only something you hear about after the credits start to roll. You could play the game and think it's really Liquid, and at the end he gets beaten up dead by Snake and Ocelot is freed and says "You're pretty good!". I mean he did say "I am Liquid's doppelganger, and you are his, just like your father" as if implying that in the end he was no different than Liquid himself, and Snake was no different than Big Boss yet we know Snake wasn't impersonating Big Boss.

It was really unnecessary and pointless.

SMZC said:
I've always wanted to believe that Liquid truly took over Ocelot, but in the end Liquid Ocelot himself says that he was expecting Snake to accomplish the mission, and that he (Liquid Ocelot) could have stopped him, but he didn't. So, it certainly seems like Ocelot was aware of what he was doing the whole time.

Not really, he knew that the virus would destroy the AI completely instead of just GW, hence in the end he let them do it. If Snake failed he would have fired the cannon and destroyed JD anyway. Either way, he was going to win. Liquid often tried to kill Snake only to let him live afterwards, always expecting him to survive so they would fight another time and at the same time not caring if Snake did end up dying. What no one knew was that Sunny would change the virus to preserve some aspects of "the system".

Darkpen said:
Also, has anyone figured out how to making the laughing and raging camos work? I haven't had a single reaction from any soldiers :(

Same here, I dont get it.

Also how do you get the ipod music to do stuff to the PMCs. I have held them in a choke hold with the right music and nothing.

AKS

Is anyone in here particularly good with the solar gun? I really haven't used it that much after Act 2, but I have completed all the major challenges other than the BBE and feel like I'm really going to need it for that. Is there a place to even recharge it after Act 2? I'd like to improve my skills and knowledge with this weapon. I've rarely used it, mostly to occasionally hunt for tranq rounds. Thanks in advance.

Dave1988

I'm having trouble with the Scarab emblem here. This FAQ specifies that I need to perform 100 forward rolls, yet I have performed over 300 rolls and have not been rewarded with the emblem. What gives?

AKS

Dave1988 said:
I'm having trouble with the Scarab emblem here. This FAQ specifies that I need to perform 100 forward rolls, yet I have performed over 300 rolls and have not been rewarded with the emblem. What gives?

I wasn't awarded this my first try, either. Next time, I just did 100 each of forward, prone, and side rolls. I got it after that. I'm not sure which type awards you the scarab emblem, so I went with the overkill approach and did all of them to be sure.

SMZC

Ether_Snake said:
Not really, he knew that the virus would destroy the AI completely instead of just GW, hence in the end he let them do it. If Snake failed he would have fired the cannon and destroyed JD anyway. Either way, he was going to win. Liquid often tried to kill Snake only to let him live afterwards, always expecting him to survive so they would fight another time and at the same time not caring if Snake did end up dying. What no one knew was that Sunny would change the virus to preserve some aspects of "the system".

But Liquid's objetive was to control the Patriots' network. It's true that he's always wanted to eliminate the Patriots as well, but if he truly wanted world domination (as we're lead to believe throughout the game), Snake destroying the AIs is something that Liquid wouldn't have wanted.

Darkpen

Banned
AKS said:
Is anyone in here particularly good with the solar gun? I really haven't used it that much after Act 2, but I have completed all the major challenges other than the BBE and feel like I'm really going to need it for that. Is there a place to even recharge it after Act 2? I'd like to improve my skills and knowledge with this weapon. I've rarely used it, mostly to occasionally hunt for tranq rounds. Thanks in advance.
its extremely powerful against the bosses in beauty form, and a shit shot at vamp knocks him down (and burns him :lol).

Its the most usefuly on THE Boss Extreme for the BB run, though, like the Palace fight against Frogs.

And guys, I see people referring to the likes of Ocelot and Solidus as "good guys," but they're really more like "people with good intentions, acting on the greater good," but really, they can be just as well be downplayed to murderous bastards, just like Snake.

Dave1988 said:
It lies... LIES!

What it is is the laying down with holding L1 side roll. The one Snake does pretty early in the opening of the game before the Gekkos come. You can't continuously roll and call it one each. You have to roll once and stop for it to count as one roll.

Took me freakin' forever to figure it out. I had to research scarabs and see how they move to figure it out.

AKS

Darkpen said:
its extremely powerful against the bosses in beauty form, and a shit shot at vamp knocks him down (and burns him :lol).

Its the most usefuly on THE Boss Extreme for the BB run, though, like the Palace fight against Frogs.

I did use it on
Vamp
. Is there any place to recharge it after Act 2, though? There's not a lot of sunlight that I ran remember after Act 2.

By the way, regarding your bolding BBE, I was referring to the Big Boss Emblem by BBE, not the difficulty. I know it's The Boss Extreme.

Darkpen

Banned
AKS said:
I did use it on
Vamp
. Is there any place to recharge it after Act 2, though? There's not a lot of sunlight that I ran remember after Act 2.
It recharges for *each* Act, if that's what you're asking.

Dave1988

Iaido Sword said:
It lies... LIES!

What it is is the laying down with holding L1 side roll. The one Snake does pretty early in the opening of the game before the Gekkos come. You can't continuously roll and call it one each. You have to roll once and stop for it to count as one roll.

Took me freakin' forever to figure it out. I had to research scarabs and see how they move to figure it out.

Yeah, I was thinking something here was fishy. I'll have a go at it tomorrow.

Awntawn said:

Very well explained.

Also what i dont get is why do all these guys have no issue with
The Boss trying to kill BB at the end of MGS3 when it was her mission to die. Everyone is up in arms that Liquid dared to try to kill Snake, even though its explained. But the Boss does it and no one seems to care. The point is that there is no perfect plan, they all have reasons for doing what they are doing.

killakiz

I would search for this but search is off so, where does everyone get those MGS4 Shirts from? Would be a good piece of info to put in the OP.

Darkpen

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
Very well explained.

Also what i dont get is why do all these guys have no issue with
The Boss trying to kill BB at the end of MGS3 when it was her mission to die. Everyone is up in arms that Liquid dared to try to kill Snake, even though its explained. But the Boss does it and no one seems to care. The point is that there is no perfect plan, they all have reasons for doing what they are doing.
Personally, I'm in the camp of acceptance. I'm not even on the same wavelength as these people that are contending the "OH, WHY DID OCELOT TRY TO KILL SNAKE, HURRR??"

I mean, seriously, why even question it? Who the fuck cares if he didn't know whether or not
Raiden would've/could've saved Snake in time?

killakiz said:
I would search for this but search is off so, where does everyone get those MGS4 Shirts from? Would be a good piece of info to put in the OP.
google Uniqlo

Darkpen said:
Personally, I'm in the camp of acceptance. I'm not even on the same wavelength as these people that are contending the "OH, WHY DID OCELOT TRY TO KILL SNAKE, HURRR??"

I mean, seriously, why even question it? Who the fuck cares if he didn't know whether or not
Raiden would've/could've saved Snake in time?

Exactly I am on your side of thinking. It just seems to me that ths game is getting scrutinized at a level that no other game in this series did. Go back and play the old games and you will find a bunch of stuff that doesn't make perfect sense. Just go with it.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
FINALLY, I got to play the damn game. Took long enough. Now I can enter this thread again. Question:

Is the iPod MG songs only?

Darkpen

Banned
Teetris said:
FINALLY, I got to play the damn game. Took long enough. Now I can enter this thread again. Question:

Is the iPod MG songs only?
yes, but I'm sure the ipod will become obsolete once the patch for the xmb music thing comes out.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Darkpen said:
yes, but I'm sure the ipod will become obsolete once the patch for the xmb music thing comes out.
Oh, that's planned for MGS4? Sweet. Would be even more awesome if they integrate it into the iPod.

junker

I have a technical question which I believe is a problem on my end but it has only occured during MGS4. Sometimes during codec sequences, the voices cut out completely but not the sound effects. This reoccurs after unpausing, etc. If I restart my receiver the problem seems fixed.

Does it have something to do with my optical cable?

Darkpen

Banned
Teetris said:
Oh, that's planned for MGS4? Sweet. Would be even more awesome if they integrate it into the iPod.
Well, we don't know if its planned, but I'd be damned if they didn't do it.

junker said:
I have a technical question which I believe is a problem on my end but it has only occured during MGS4. Sometimes during codec sequences, the voices cut out completely but not the sound effects. This reoccurs after unpausing, etc. If I restart my receiver the problem seems fixed.

Does it have something to do with my optical cable?
no idea, man, but that sucks. I'd suggest contacting the number on the back of the manual for technical issues.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
reposting waiting for answers

TTP said:
I was going through my 9th playthrough and I noticed this in the pause menu PIP camera feed from the Nomad.

nl20kj.jpg

Is take.. a cake? I didn't pay attention before so I dunno if it was there since after I completed the game for the first time. Maybe it's the
Meryl's wedding cake
? It only shows up in the pause menu, not during the actual briefings on the Nomad.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It looks like a cake, so what?:p

Also why the heck does Otacon have a spy cam watching over Sunny? Another perv-side of Kojima displayed in his own games to bring a feeling of social acceptance?:p

July 4th?

I tried looking up various things and see their birthdays but I couldn't find anythings.
Darkpen said:
I'm sure its somehow the same cake as the one you see at the end of the game. Also, you can see her working on the MK III.
Birth of a new nation,
fox alive

Darkpen

Banned
Iaido Sword said:
July 4th?

I tried looking up various things and see their birthdays but I couldn't find anythings.

Birth of a new nation,
fox alive
wait, did the cake only appear on a certain day?

And what are you talking about?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
My PS3 was stolen the day after MGS4 launch... so I only played to the beginning of act 3... nonetheless I want to spoil myself on a couple of non-story details that I'm curious about...

1. Early screens of MGS4 described the Liquid Sun middle east area as "Medina".. correct? While I'm sure all references to Medina were dropped in rspect to Muslims... was it ever explicitly stated to be anywhere else? Can we assume it is Medina even if they will ever confirm it?

2. The MGS4 soundtrack was missing a main part of the classic MGS theme. It can be found starting at 1:25 in this YouTube of the MGS2 Kyle cooper opening. I know these soundtracks do not always contain every track used in the game.. so I wonder if that part of the score did make it in somewhere?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So now I've pretty much got most of my questions answered, but one thing bothers me. Why did Ocelot kill Sigint/Donald Anderson, considering
they were both original Patriot members
?

VanMardigan said:
So now I've pretty much got most of my questions answered, but one thing bothers me. Why did Ocelot kill Sigint/Donald Anderson, considering
?
Errr... probably should replay the game again.

It's in there.

Dez

BocoDragon said:
My PS3 was stolen the day after MGS4 launch... so I only played to the beginning of act 3... nonetheless I want to spoil myself on a couple of non-story details that I'm curious about...

1. Early screens of MGS4 described the Liquid Sun middle east area as "Medina".. correct? While I'm sure all references to Medina were dropped in rspect to Muslims... was it ever explicitly stated to be anywhere else? Can we assume it is Medina even if they will ever confirm it?

2. The MGS4 soundtrack was missing a main part of the classic MGS theme. It can be found starting at 1:25 in this YouTube of the MGS2 Kyle cooper opening. I know these soundtracks do not always contain every track used in the game.. so I wonder if that part of the score did make it in somewhere?

1. None of the locations in Act 1 or 2 are ever explicitly stated, so you can assume whatever you want.

2. No, the classic MGS theme is never heard in the game. Variants of the mgs3 theme do, however.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Dez said:
1. None of the locations in Act 1 or 2 are ever explicitly stated, so you can assume whatever you want.

2. No, the classic MGS theme is never heard in the game. Variants of the mgs3 theme do, however.
Hmmm... thanks. The last part is disappointing... but oh well.

It wouldn't be the first time Metal Gear lost a classic piece of the score for the sequels... I've been playing the original MG1 for MSX and the original "infiltration of Outer Heaven" theme featured a cool dramatic heroic theme that was lost when the music returned for MGS1's VR missions. Check out this YouTube from 1:55 to 2:40 to hear the sequence that didn't return.

VanMardigan said:
?
They were enemies by that time.
Big Boss had been eliminated so Ocelot had already put his plan in motion so that he could destroy the Patriots. He joins Liquid without letting him know that he's a founder member of the Patriots. Liquid instructs Ocelot to torture Anderson in order to retrieve one of the two access codes for REX, but, naturally, Anderson immediately recognises his fellow Patriot; so Ocelot kills him and passes it off as an accident.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Iaido Sword said:
Wow! In my credit song thread, I was listening to Calling to the Night and it so happen to have the Ocelot monologue. It makes perfect sense!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UA90ol45fwM

MGS is truly a series that was completed from the beginning in Kojima's mind. He planned this whole thing out perfectly.

What the heck are you talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom