• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomico

Darkpen said:
sucks, mate. That one's pretty easy too. All you have to do is use the MK III to turn on the electricity D:

ooooh so that's why snake said that
the circuit panel was intact, even after being hit with the nikita rocket
:lol . never tried it before, I just used the the rail gun to kill it.

It must've triggered the alert when it got hit, but there was no alert countdown (probably because the area was clear)

Later on, in the casting facility area, I killed a couple gekko and noticed the last one went "!" before it died. I quit, checked the saved data and there it was "Alert phases: 1" :(

Darkpen

Banned
atomico said:
ooooh so that's why snake said that
the circuit panel was intact, even after being hit with the nikita rocket
:lol . never tried it before, I just used the the rail gun to kill it.

It must've triggered the alert when it got hit, but there was no alert countdown (probably because the area was clear)

Later on, in the casting facility area, I killed a couple gekko and noticed the last one went "!" before it died. I quit, checked the saved data and there it was "Alert phases: 1" :(
The thing with the casting facility is that the easiest way to get through that is using a technique that only hardcore MGS fans would even be aware of: using the empty magazine clips.

The magazine clips originate from MGS2, and ultimately had no use, but when I was going through my BB run on TBE, I found myself short on chaff, and basically used the magazines to draw the dwarf and normal gekkos away from where I was, and gunned for the door.

rager

Banned
Geez. What an idiot, doesnt he realize that for one you can grab the Avatar and animated MGS gifs directly from his page, lol.

Darkpen

Banned
rager said:
Geez. What an idiot, doesnt he realize that for one you can grab the Avatar and animated MGS gifs directly from his page, lol.
no shit, mate. The point is that he's SELLING THINGS THAT ARE NOT ONLY FREE, BUT DON'T BELONG TO HIM OR HIS "WEBSITE."

Iaido Sword said:
Hmm seems like modus may have to report it.
not to mention the things by Bruce.

rager

Banned
Darkpen said:
no shit, mate. The point is that he's SELLING THINGS THAT ARE NOT ONLY FREE, BUT DON'T BELONG TO HIM OR HIS "WEBSITE."

not to mention the things by Bruce.

I know that, I am just pointing out how stupid he is to even try to sell avatars and wallpaper on ebay. M0dus will have to deal with this.

Darkpen

Banned
rager said:
I know that, I am just pointing out how stupid he is to even try to sell avatars and wallpaper on ebay. M0dus will have to deal with this.
not just modus, just about anyone that has an ebay account can report the guy. I don't have one, but I'm sure someone here does.

Issun23

Darkpen said:
not just modus, just about anyone that has an ebay account can report the guy. I don't have one, but I'm sure someone here does.

Just filed in a report. Hopefully eBay takes action.

Darkpen said:
Actually, the options read like this.

"Stolen my property"

Of course I made nothing. :lol

atomico

Darkpen said:
The thing with the casting facility is that the easiest way to get through that is using a technique that only hardcore MGS fans would even be aware of: using the empty magazine clips.

The magazine clips originate from MGS2, and ultimately had no use, but when I was going through my BB run on TBE, I found myself short on chaff, and basically used the magazines to draw the dwarf and normal gekkos away from where I was, and gunned for the door.

I used them a few times when in MGS3 :D

in MGS4, the empty mags were useful during Act 3, to lure PMCs and then hold them up, when I was looking for the snatcher ipod tune. Didn't think they worked on gekko

I spent a chaff grenade at the furnace, and I was probably gonna use the other one in the casting facility, if things got hectic.

No_Style

So why don't people shoot the dwarf gekkos with silenced weapons? It only sets of a warning. I haven't played any of the higher difficulties yet, but you can buy silencers right?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Darkpen said:

the thief = "XCore21"

ban the shit out of him.

Steroyd

No_Style said:
So why don't people shoot the dwarf gekkos with silenced weapons? It only sets of a warning. I haven't played any of the higher difficulties yet, but you can buy silencers right?

Because when you shoot one, at LEAST an extra dozen come through the little vents and tiny spaces, to check the area of where said thing was shot.

We are talking about those 3 legged eye-bally thingies are we?

AKS

Steroyd said:
Because when you shoot one, at LEAST an extra dozen come through the little vents and tiny spaces, to check the area of where said thing was shot.

I thought those were called "scarabs." I've heard people call them "dwarf gekkos" often, though. I have no idea why because they look nothing like gekkos.

Anyway, on The Boss Extreme, half a million of those freaking things emerge looking for you. I think it was the
blast furnace in Shadow Moses
where I tried to shoot one with a silenced weapon and I almost thought the game had malfunctioned there were so many flooding the floor looking for me. It was ridiculous! I don't like those things at all.

AKS said:
I thought those were called "scarabs." I've heard people call them "dwarf gekkos" often, though. I have no idea why because they look nothing like gekkos.

Anyway, on The Boss Extreme, half a million of those freaking things emerge looking for you. I think it was the
blast furnace in Shadow Moses
where I tried to shoot one with a silenced weapon and I almost thought the game had malfunctioned there were so many flooding the floor looking for me. It was ridiculous! I don't like those things at all.

The game specifically calls them that; just use the codec.

The trick with them is that the reinforcements are only temporary. If you kill all of the originals there is nobody to replace them once caution ends.

Darkpen

Banned
atomico said:
I used them a few times when in MGS3 :D

in MGS4, the empty mags were useful during Act 3, to lure PMCs and then hold them up, when I was looking for the snatcher ipod tune. Didn't think they worked on gekko

I spent a chaff grenade at the furnace, and I was probably gonna use the other one in the casting facility, if things got hectic.
they work on gekkos. During the 2 minute time when Otacon needs time to unlock the hangar door, you can knock on walls to mislead the gekko.

By the way, guys, I'm messing around in TBE just for the hell of it, and i'm at the Vista Palace. Whenever I die, I sometimes see those very-thin strings that you normally see when you're fighting Screaming Mantis. I also see the strings on the Haven troopers. What's up with that? Anyone know?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Darkpen said:
they work on gekkos. During the 2 minute time when Otacon needs time to unlock the hangar door, you can knock on walls to mislead the gekko.

By the way, guys, I'm messing around in TBE just for the hell of it, and i'm at the Vista Palace. Whenever I die, I sometimes see those very-thin strings that you normally see when you're fighting Screaming Mantis. I also see the strings on the Haven troopers. What's up with that? Anyone know?

It's not specific to the TBE. I've been noticing them for a while now on different difficulty settings. No idea what's up with that. Perhaps if you use the syringe before dieing you can continue and it wont get registered in the stats? Just a very wild guess.

Darkpen

Banned
TTP said:
It's not specific to the TBE. I've been noticing them for a while now on different difficulty settings. No idea what's up with that. Perhaps if you use the syringe before dieing you can continue and it wont get registered in the stats? Just a very wild guess.
e_e

SOMEONE TRY :D

Owensboro

So, I must be freaking out here, or this is an extreme amount of detail thrown in by the designers. In Act 3
follow the rebel untill he crosses the street at that first crosswalk. If you stand next to the long trash-bin (the one you can jump into) you will hear a rythmic beeping that honestly sounds like an timer on an explosive. I thought I had a bomb in my inventory (Hello MGS1!), but after frantic searching noticed the sound got softer as I walked away from the area. Is that beeping from the Crosswalk sign? As in, a crosswalk for the blind? Because holy crap if it is, that's some in-depth nit-picking right there. Is it really the crosswalk sign?

Awntawn said:
The bottom line is, most of the backlash comes from the fact that
many people just aren't buying into the whole hypnosis thing. They feel that either Ocelot should be 100% possessed by Liquid and is in no control over himself, or he's just fake orgasming the whole time thereby rendering the plot and all tensions throughout the entire series involving him essentially WWE-style rigged with no real sense of danger.

I feel that what Kojima meant was that he really did turn into Liquid, but deep down without knowing still had Ocelot's intentions influencing his behavior. Think like a Jason Bourne with amnesia. He doesn't know who he is or where he came from, but still deep down inside retains all of his skills, survival instinct and knowledge, and hunches on where to find clues about his former self, etc. In Ocelot's sense, once the change took place, he truly did believe that he was Liquid. If perhaps, Snake had died, he wouldn't have just snapped out of it and gone, "Oh shit, whoops." It's more likely that the Liquid persona really would have taken over and accomplished what he (Liquid) wanted throughout the whole plot. There's no ingenuity to the dangers or anything "because he wasn't really trying to kill Snake because he wasn't really Liquid" or anything like that. No, Liquid really wanted to do what he wanted to do, and Ocelot essentially set him up towards a trap that ALMOST went down the shitter had Raiden not stopped ship, had Snake failed at any of the tasks along the way throughout the game. Ocelot and EVA trusted that Snake would manage to come through for them. It was a gamble.

I like this. I tend to MAKE things make sense so the story and plot work. What you wrote here makes it work.

p.s. Can we please not use spoiler tags anymore. A mod should give us the go ahead because it's very annoying. It's been almost a month.... people entering this thread either beat it or don't care about spoilers. Seriously, let's end the black bars. free us from these shackles. *My bias stems from the fact that I'm on a PS3.... but that shouldn't matter :D*

Dez

MoonsaultSlayer said:
I like this. I tend to MAKE things make sense so the story and plot work. What you wrote here makes it work.

p.s. Can we please not use spoiler tags anymore. A mod should give us the go ahead because it's very annoying. It's been almost a month.... people entering this thread either beat it or don't care about spoilers. Seriously, let's end the black bars. free us from these shackles. *My bias stems from the fact that I'm on a PS3.... but that shouldn't matter :D*

I too like Awntawn's interpretation - it's just that the official guide, which supposedly has Kojima's approval, interprets ocelot's behaviour completely differently. It says that Ocelot was really just acting all the time, with a seemingly divine plan.. which to me is bullshit, but I can definitely see Kojima coming up with it that way too.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
MoonsaultSlayer said:

I disagree. I've played half the game and I won't play the other half for awhile because my PS3 was stolen. I'd say expectation of people not caring about spoilers is at least a year or more after the game release.

Aeris dies. See.. that one's fine :D

roxya

MoonsaultSlayer said:

"very annoying" :lol :lol puh-lease. It's a very easy courtesy for those who haven't finished the whole game yet.

How do you get Radien Mask B and Cambell Mask? I tried running into Naomi on Act 3 Brief, but it didn't seem to work. She was sitting down at the computer desk. Also, how do you get Cambell's? I don't even recall him being in a Mission Brief?

Thanks

Stalfos

KennyLinder said:
How do you get Radien Mask B and Cambell Mask? I tried running into Naomi on Act 3 Brief, but it didn't seem to work. She was sitting down at the computer desk. Also, how do you get Cambell's? I don't even recall him being in a Mission Brief?

Thanks
If you already tried running into Naomi, try running into Sunny.

TTP said:

It's a reference to Screaming Mantis, and Shawn from 1UP brought up an interesting theory that when Snake dies it's actually Mantis' doing.

Ether_Snake said:
Don't you realize this is the cheapest plot device one can use? I could pretend that George Bush is
trying to wake up the American patriotic spirit by acting in ways that make him unpopular, so that finally they will wake up and elect someone of great stature!

You could do this with any controversial historic figure and it would work, because anyone no matter how evil could pretend his actions were an act to bring about the opposite of what he officially sought.

It's dumb.
I still cannot understand what you find so dumb and cheap.
Ocelot is redeemed because whatever he did was not for money, power or self-satisfaction, such as Bush, Hitler and any other such historical figure, but in order to *free* the world from the Patriots's reign. Ocelot is not like Volgin, a straightforward pure-evil villain, and had always fooled and triple-crossed everyone around him. The fact that he betrays even the Patriots themselves when the organisation gets out of control is not against his character.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
I think I hate this game.

I picked it up the day it launched. Played for 2-3 hours the next day. Didn't have time to play it again until tonight. I'm at the part after you meet up with the Rat Pack in Act 1 whe you first run into the Frogs.

I keep dying or one of my team mates keeps dying. The aiming, shooting, and running is so slow. I also can't do CQC to save my life. The controls are extremely frustrating to me as is the pace of gameplay.

Does anyone have any control tips or reasons to keep me motivated to play? I've been dying at the same part for over an hour playing on Solid Snake difficulty (I think, can't remember for sure). So frustrated...

P.S. I played and completed MGS 1 & 2, didn't play 3.

Darkpen

Banned
Steiner_Zi said:
I still cannot understand what you find so dumb and cheap.
Ocelot is redeemed because whatever he did was not for money, power or self-satisfaction, such as Bush, Hitler and any other such historical figure, but in order to *free* the world from the Patriots's reign. Ocelot is not like Volgin, a straightforward pure-evil villain, and had always fooled and triple-crossed everyone around him. The fact that he betrays even the Patriots themselves when the organisation gets out of control is not against his character.
I don't understand what he's trying to say either.

LunaticPuma said:

I picked it up the day it launched. Played for 2-3 hours the next day. Didn't have time to play it again until tonight. I'm at the part after you meet up with the Rat Pack in Act 1 whe you first run into the Frogs.

I keep dying or one of my team mates keeps dying. The aiming, shooting, and running is so slow. I also can't do CQC to save my life. The controls are extremely frustrating to me as is the pace of gameplay.

Does anyone have any control tips or reasons to keep me motivated to play? I've been dying at the same part for over an hour playing on Solid Snake difficulty (I think, can't remember for sure). So frustrated...

Ohh... didn't play 3, huh? CQC must be really lost to you, then.

Alright, so, I don't understand what it is that you're doing at the palace. It can definitely be a bit frustrating, with the severe lack of checkpoints, so its really just a big gauntlet of doing things right.

Personally, as a player who tries to avoid killing, I suggest using a great amount of cover, and only aiming for headshots when you know you've got a sure shot with the tranq. When it comes to fighting the FROGs, the only way you can proper CQC them on any difficulty level is by getting them from behind. Unless you know where they spawn from, it can be hard to try to perform CQC in this situation, especially for a first playthrough. When you see a clump of them together, throw a stun or smoke grenade at their feet. The stun grenade should knock them out, or if you throw a smoke grenade, you want to make use of the opportunity to headshot tranqs. If a rat pt member is knocked out, you want to wake them up by crouching next to them and holding triangle when you see the icon that shows you doing so.

If anyone is put to sleep or knocked out, whether its the enemy or rat pt, the next bullet will kill them instantly, no joke.

Try to avoid knocking out your own teammates on accident.

And that's all I can tell ya, unless you want a play-by-play, which I could do.

If you feel lost at any time, especially with enemies everywhere, you want to use the night vision on the solid eye.

LunaticPuma said:

run & gun will get you killed easy. if the controls feel too sluggish, go into the options and crank the sensitivity. aim for the head.

remember CQC is dependant on the weapon you have equipped, some don't allow it, some do - look for the CQC tag on the weapon icon. if in doubt equip the operator or tranq pistol. the move you'll do also depends on where you are standing in relation to the enemy, and the direction you're pushing the left stick in when you bust the move. i suggest going into the vr training mode and practicing it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
LunaticPuma said:

You ABSOLUTELY must turn up all sensitivity to 10. This will help immensely.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Hey...

So I'm new at this MGO thing. I made a game. Currently playing... nobody.

If you'd like to JUMP IN, I made the game under VAMP and the name is J.Harker.

See you on the battlefield.

AKS

Yeah, I got the Big Boss emblem!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

This was so weird...my time for the Big Boss emblem took 42 seconds longer than the Fox Hound emblem. I wish I hadn't screwed around trying to recover some health against the last beauty and and topped it. :lol

3:46:54

Orlics

Madsucktion said:
So, I must be freaking out here, or this is an extreme amount of detail thrown in by the designers. In Act 3
follow the rebel untill he crosses the street at that first crosswalk. If you stand next to the long trash-bin (the one you can jump into) you will hear a rythmic beeping that honestly sounds like an timer on an explosive. I thought I had a bomb in my inventory (Hello MGS1!), but after frantic searching noticed the sound got softer as I walked away from the area. Is that beeping from the Crosswalk sign? As in, a crosswalk for the blind? Because holy crap if it is, that's some in-depth nit-picking right there. Is it really the crosswalk sign?

Yeah, it is. Strangely, though, it's only that crosswalk.

trilobyte

LunaticPuma said:

You'll get used to it. I was the same way (didn't play 3, only 1 and 2). This biggest change for me was using a free-roaming camera.

Pimpwerx

roxya said:
"very annoying" :lol :lol puh-lease. It's a very easy courtesy for those who haven't finished the whole game yet.
It would be a greater courtesy if those who haven't beat the game would stay out of the thread until they do. Most of the spoilers are predictable or contrived, and it seems to me that the majority of this thread's traffic now consists of people discussing their experiences with the game. Besides which, if someone owns a PS3 and doesn't have this game yet, then they deserved to have it spoiled. They've already committed a gross injustice. PEACE.

No_Style

Steroyd said:

Yeah. I shot them when I'm in the vents and they never came flooding in. My brother says that it's also dependent on the area. Some places have them flooding in, some don't. This may be difficulty dependent as well...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So I'm on my third play through and WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME CQC IS SO AWESOME?

Man, I love holding up soldiers and grabbing all the free loot. I was really surprised when I did it to the female troopers. :lol

Plus, its satisfying to choke hold them and repeatedly stab them in the neck with the syringe until they start foaming in the mouth. Muahaha!

Darkpen

Banned
chubigans said:
So I'm on my third play through and WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME CQC IS SO AWESOME?

Man, I love holding up soldiers and grabbing all the free loot. I was really surprised when I did it to the female troopers. :lol

Plus, its satisfying to choke hold them and repeatedly stab them in the neck with the syringe until they start foaming in the mouth. Muahaha!
D:

Because we assume you played 3, the mgo beta, and yeah, that's pretty much it.

Too bad you can't hold people up for information anymore. That sucks.

1stStrike

Banned
chubigans said:

CQC is even more awesome when you hold up someone in team sneaking online, tranq em, steal their weapons and then wipe out their team mates as they all run in to try and save them :D

Oh and if you have the stealth camo I found a fun glitch. Pat down the frogs, crotch grab them and when they knock you down immediately toggle stealth back on and they'll have lost sight of you and just stand there dumb founded. You can then get back up and take em out.

Steiner_Zi said:
I still cannot understand what you find so dumb and cheap. [/spoiler]

Face it, he's the better story teller. He's just mad that Kojima was unable to realize this and didn't tell the story he expected. I can understand that.

Darkpen

Banned
dermannmitdemcolt said:
Face it, he's the better story teller. He's just mad that Kojima was unable to realize this and didn't tell the story he expected. I can understand that.
:lol

Maybe Ether_Snake should make a fanfic D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom