• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhino4evr

Ok so I have some questions. Hopefully some of you have some answers?

I understand (sorta) that Liquid Ocelot, was really just Ocelot creating some masterplan to allow the downfall of the Patriots, what I don't understand is why go through all the trouble? If he had the GW on his ship, why did he need Snake to deliver the virus to the computer. Not to mention Naomi was available too....why did Snake have to infect the computer? Furthermore, after the AI was destroyed and Ocelot's plan a success, why did he try and kill Snake on top of Outer Haven?

What was the purpose of bringing Big Boss back to life if he was just going to die when he met up with Snake? Where did Zero come from? Did he just wheel him from an old folks home? What control did he have at that age to make him a threat to civilation still? He was basically a vegetable.

So Eva, Namoi, and Liquid Ocelot died from Foxdie? I could have sworn Eva had been stabbed, shot, and burned. Namoi was killed by her own doing, and Ocelot was killed by several punches to the face.

Thanks for your help...

Rocket786

Anyone think that Kojima could possibly put the alternate ending in a MGS4: Substance type of disc?

You know, the ending where
Snake and Otacon turn themselves in and get executed as terrorists for destroying the whole Patriot's system. No one realizes the freedom Snake and Otacon provided for them, and believe them to be traders. They die in a similar way to The Boss from MGS3. Known as terrorists/traders but in reality died to help free the world from the Patriots reign.

I would freakin love that ending if it was done right!

Now let me get this straight. If we play as Raiden (in a future MG title)
while he went on his solo sneaking mission to rescue Sunny from the Patriots, this would not be Cyborg Ninja Raiden. It would just be same old regular Raiden, the same one we played in MGS2

And you guys are okay with this?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Blu_LED said:
Now let me get this straight. If we play as Raiden (in a future MG title)
while he went on his solo sneaking mission to rescue Sunny from the Patriots, this would not be Cyborg Ninja Raiden. It would just be same old regular Raiden, the same one we played in MGS2

And you guys are okay with this?
Hell yes. I never minded playing as Raiden.

Dez

rhino4evr said:

I understand (sorta) that Liquid Ocelot, was really just Ocelot creating some masterplan to allow the downfall of the Patriots, what I don't understand is why go through all the trouble? If he had the GW on his ship, why did he need Snake to deliver the virus to the computer. Not to mention Naomi was available too....why did Snake have to infect the computer? Furthermore, after the AI was destroyed and Ocelot's plan a success, why did he try and kill Snake on top of Outer Haven?

What was the purpose of bringing Big Boss back to life if he was just going to die when he met up with Snake? Where did Zero come from? Did he just wheel him from an old folks home? What control did he have at that age to make him a threat to civilation still? He was basically a vegetable.

So Eva, Namoi, and Liquid Ocelot died from Foxdie? I could have sworn Eva had been stabbed, shot, and burned. Namoi was killed by her own doing, and Ocelot was killed by several punches to the face.

Thanks for your help...

I know this is not help.. but basically you point out all of the plot holes that resulted in the reveals that were made at the end of the game. I don't think there's a way to make it all work, no matter how you try.

But i can answer part question 3:
Naomi died of cancer, as a result of her injecting nanomachine suppressors to negate the effects of the nanomachines that were keeping her alive. Eva died from fox die (apparently). Not sure about Liquid.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
A00man said:
Anyone think that Kojima could possibly put the alternate ending in a MGS4: Substance type of disc?

You know, the ending where
Snake and Otacon turn themselves in and get executed as terrorists for destroying the whole Patriot's system. No one realizes the freedom Snake and Otacon provided for them, and believe them to be traders. They die in a similar way to The Boss from MGS3. Known as terrorists/traders but in reality died to help free the world from the Patriots reign.

I would freakin love that ending if it was done right!
That would be awesome, except
Otacon shouldn't die IMO. Someone should know the truth.

sonicmj1

Steiner_Zi said:
I still cannot understand what you find so dumb and cheap.
Ocelot is redeemed because whatever he did was not for money, power or self-satisfaction, such as Bush, Hitler and any other such historical figure, but in order to *free* the world from the Patriots's reign. Ocelot is not like Volgin, a straightforward pure-evil villain, and had always fooled and triple-crossed everyone around him. The fact that he betrays even the Patriots themselves when the organisation gets out of control is not against his character.
Not that simple.

How do you know that those historical figures did what they did for money or power? You only know that Ocelot's motivation wasn't these things because of the very end of the game. Everything that he exposes to the rest of the world says otherwise. It's just as possible that the same thing is the case with the historical figures you cite. It's a cheap way of redeeming him despite all the actions he took, in a way that is very different from The Boss's sacrifice.

The problem isn't that it's against his character. The problem is that it feels very much like a cop-out, considering the sleeve-exploding voice-changing possessions that occurred in MGS2, and considering that there are plenty of much, much simpler ways of delivering that virus to GW than forcing Snake to do it, as another poster already pointed out.

rhino4evr

the more I think about it, the less it makes sense. I just don't understand the need to pull the rug from under us when the story was wrapping so nicely. It just seems so unneccesary. The only question that would have been unanswered is Zero's existence.

I mean having big boss come back was kind of cool, but it seemed completely pointless, other then to tell Snake, "hey you resurrected me, now Im going to die again, and Im taking this old man with me..but live your life to the fullest (which is only 3-4 months)"

Snake should have just shot himself.

Darkpen

Banned
sonicmj1 said:
Not that simple.

How do you know that those historical figures did what they did for money or power? You only know that Ocelot's motivation wasn't these things because of the very end of the game. Everything that he exposes to the rest of the world says otherwise. It's just as possible that the same thing is the case with the historical figures you cite. It's a cheap way of redeeming him despite all the actions he took, in a way that is very different from The Boss's sacrifice.

The problem isn't that it's against his character. The problem is that it feels very much like a cop-out, considering the sleeve-exploding voice-changing possessions that occurred in MGS2, and considering that there are plenty of much, much simpler ways of delivering that virus to GW than forcing Snake to do it, as another poster already pointed out.
Its not so much of a cop-out as it is just deus ex machina spilling its juices across everybody's faces. And who's saying that he's being "redeemed"? What about Solidus?

If there's anything that you need to accept when it comes to the MGS games, its that everything is overly orchestrated. Seriously. Just get over it, and accept it.

rhino4evr said:
the more I think about it, the less it makes sense. I just don't understand the need to pull the rug from under us when the story was wrapping so nicely. It just seems so unneccesary. The only question that would have been unanswered is Zero's existence.

I mean having big boss come back was kind of cool, but it seemed completely pointless, other then to tell Snake, "hey you resurrected me, now Im going to die again, and Im taking this old man with me..but live your life to the fullest (which is only 3-4 months)"

Snake should have just shot himself.
well he didn't, now did he?

sonicmj1

Darkpen said:
Its not so much of a cop-out as it is just deus ex machina spilling its juices across everybody's faces. And who's saying that he's being "redeemed"? What about Solidus?

If there's anything that you need to accept when it comes to the MGS games, its that everything is overly orchestrated. Seriously. Just get over it, and accept it.

I accepted it. It's weird, but not completely implausible. That doesn't mean that I like that particular twist, though.

Raist

Banned
rhino4evr said:

Thanks for your help...

Well, Naomi wasn't able to complete the virus. She originally wanted Otacon to do so, and ended up giving it to Sunny. Ocelot trying to get the virus back once it was complete would have been extremely suspicious. And I'm sure he enjoyed seeing the Patriot's tool (aka Snake) destroy all the AI.

A real purpose ? Well, technically there wasn't any. But IMO it felt so right, because it was kind of "the circle is complete". It all started with BB and Zero, it had to end up with them. Now Zero was a vegetable, sure, he wasn't a threat anymore, the AI were. So killing him had no real purpose. But it's all about symbolism, once again.

Eva and Liquid did. Naomi didn't, she died from her cancer after cancelling out the nanomachines that were keeping her alive

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dabookerman said:
Have there been any new secrets/downloads for the past few days. I've been awol

A couple of new camos with emotional effects on soldiers.
New game mode for MGO (team sneaking, pretty awesome)
Plus Sunny's birthday :p

domlolz

Banned
I'd like an alternate fixed camera system implemented-I'm sure Kojima said that in MGS4 you'd be given a choice between the free camera(MGS3:S) or the fixed(MGS1/2/3)

I think a fixed camera is much 'MGS'

And,

TTP said:
team sneaking

Cool,good?

Dez said:
I know this is not help.. but basically you point out all of the plot holes that resulted in the reveals that were made at the end of the game. I don't think there's a way to make it all work, no matter how you try.
Basically, everything works if you think and pay attention. We have answered these questions a million times and Raist answered them once again.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
domlolz said:
I'd like an alternate fixed camera system implemented-I'm sure Kojima said that in MGS4 you'd be given a choice between the free camera(MGS3:S) or the fixed(MGS1/2/3)

I think a fixed camera is much 'MGS'

And,

Cool,good?

Think capture the flag with one flag (or two, depending on the number of players). Defending team is normal soldiers with weapons. Attacking team is equipped with Stealth Camo but only has non lethal pistol and 'nades.

Attacking team is totally invisible to defending one, but knife and weapons show up floating in the air. Shadow/dust shows up as well. So u do still have to be careful when attacking. And be quiet.
When one of the attacking team gets hit, stealth is disabled for a couple of seconds on the whole team.

vids:
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=FQXVz20eP_8
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=rWtq0lb8xjI

edit: oh, forgot to say. No respawns. Get killed and you are done for the round.

rhino4evr

Raist said:
Well, Naomi wasn't able to complete the virus. She originally wanted Otacon to do so, and ended up giving it to Sunny. Ocelot trying to get the virus back once it was complete would have been extremely suspicious. And I'm sure he enjoyed seeing the Patriot's tool (aka Snake) destroy all the AI.

A real purpose ? Well, technically there wasn't any. But IMO it felt so right, because it was kind of "the circle is complete". It all started with BB and Zero, it had to end up with them. Now Zero was a vegetable, sure, he wasn't a threat anymore, the AI were. So killing him had no real purpose. But it's all about symbolism, once again.

Eva and Liquid did. Naomi didn't, she died from her cancer after cancelling out the nanomachines that were keeping her alive

thanks but you left out one of my side questions...

if it was all part of Ocelot's plan, why did he try and kill Snake on top of Outer Haven? He even admitted to Snake that "he had accomplished his goal", so why try and kill him, shouldnt he be congratulating you instead?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
rhino4evr said:

if it was all part of Ocelot's plan, why did he try and kill Snake on top of Outer Haven? He even admitted to Snake that "he had accomplished his goal", so why try and kill him, shouldnt he be congratulating you instead?

Cos it was awesome.

rhino4evr said:

In MGS3, Ocelot just fought Snake and left. Why?
The thrill of fighting your rival.
sonicmj1 said:
No.
His body only has 3-4 months left in it before he dies of natural causes.
Wrong.
Naomi specifically states he had 3-4 months before he turns into an epidemic. She never stated when he was going to pass away from rapid aging.

Ferrio

Banned
rhino4evr said:

He wasn't going to kill him. He knew he was dying of foxdie, so he wanted one last fight with the man that very closely resembled Big Boss.

sonicmj1

Iaido Sword said:
Wrong.
Naomi specifically states he had 3-4 months before he turns into an epidemic. She never stated when he was going to pass away from rapid aging.
Yes, she did
Before she mentions the epidemic, she says that Snake has six months left. It's only after that where she says it's 3 months before he becomes a walking bioweapon. Assuming about 2 months pass between the encounter on top of Outer Haven and the wedding/graveyard scene (which would help the whole Big Boss scenario get set up), that would mean that Snake has four months left to live, as the epidemic threat is revealed to be a non-issue.

Snake's shortened lifespan and rapid aging are a result of the cloning process, not of Foxdie. He's very, very close to the end of his life at the end of MGS4.

Iaido Sword said:
Wrong.
You're wrong.
Naomi clearly stated in Act 2 that Snake would die in 6 months.

domlolz

Banned
TTP said:
Think capture the flag with one flag (or two, depending on the number of players). Defending team is normal soldiers with weapons. Attacking team is equipped with Stealth Camo but only has non lethal pistol and 'nades.

Attacking team is totally invisible to defending one, but knife and weapons show up floating in the air. Shadow/dust shows up as well. So u do still have to be careful when attacking. And be quiet.
When one of the attacking team gets hit, stealth is disabled for a couple of seconds on the whole team.

vids:
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=FQXVz20eP_8
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=rWtq0lb8xjI

edit: oh, forgot to say. No respawns. Get killed and you are done for the round.

That sounds fun,I thought MGO needed more 'Metal Gear-y' modes,stealth and all.
I'll have to update MGO

eLGee

A couple of easter eggs i discovered, not sure these have been posted:

You can turn on the radio in the mission briefings, upstairs in Sunny's kitchen using the MKII/MKIII's arm with R1.

In the mission briefing for act IV, there's a remote on the table before Otacon's big ass TV, which you can use to change the channel with the MKII/MKIII, using the same method as above.

rhino4evr

Steiner_Zi said:
You're wrong.

yes this is correct, i can't believe you don't remember. His little penis meter (thats what my wife called it LOL) shrinks when he finds out that he only has 6 months to live due to the cloning aging process, then shrinks again when he finds out that in 3 months he'll be a biological weapon due to FoxDie

also regarding the final fight
I think fighting, just to fight is a little stupid as a conclusion, Sure he could have killed Snake a number of times, but coming after him with a metal gear, isn't the most convenient way of keeping him alive. Face it, the Ocelot is really a good guy twist, makes NO sense when it comes down to his actions towards you in the game and every game he's appeared in. It feels like a cheap attempt at a twist ending.

He even faked a fox die death as a joke, but was actually killed by Fox Die? WTF, you beat the shit out of him. I slammed his head against that pole about 6 times, and a virus killed him?

I really think
that he didn't give a shit about Snake, and once he had completed his mission, he decided he had no more use for him and decided to kill him. Snakes primary mission in the game was to kill Ocelot, so maybe he figured it was kill or be killed regardless of his true intentions, Snake was still a puppet of the Patriots

Also the
the Mantis appearance was a bit silly so close to the end of the game, I mean that was really the last real boss in a way. I did chuckle at the "RETURN OF RUMBLE!" line

brokenFUN

eLGee said:
A couple of easter eggs i discovered, not sure these have been posted:

You can turn on the radio in the mission briefings, upstairs in Sunny's kitchen using the MKII/MKIII's arm with R1.

In the mission briefing for act IV, there's a remote on the table before Otacon's big ass TV, which you can use to change the channel with the MKII/MKIII, using the same method as above.

yeah... we know

rhino4evr said:
I really think
that he didn't give a shit about Snake, and once he had completed his mission, he decided he had no more use for him and decided to kill him. Snakes primary mission in the game was to kill Ocelot, so maybe he figured it was kill or be killed regardless of his true intentions, Snake was still a puppet of the Patriots
You may want to reconsider: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp5fMVSoenU (ending spoiler)

The final fight had a cathartic quality to it. Ocelot accomplished his goal so he had no other reason left to live and willingly breathed the FoxDIE Snake exhaled. Ocelot died because he did want to. The fight also serves as the gradual comeback of Revolver Ocelot's persona inside Ocelot's body right before he dies. IMO, the final fight is both epic and highly emotional as the entire series flashes before our eyes with the two main rivals finally being free from Patriots' hold to fight an honest battle. They were both true soldiers and true soldiers find such a battle to be a genuine and honourable clash of two warriors's spirits.
So no, it was not stupid.

Returners

rhino4evr said:
Also the
the Mantis appearance was a bit silly so close to the end of the game, I mean that was really the last real boss in a way. I did chuckle at the "RETURN OF RUMBLE!" line

apparently if you play with a SIXAXIS its a different dialogue, so i've heard

sonicmj1

Steiner_Zi said:
You may want to reconsider: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp5fMVSoenU (ending spoiler)

The final fight had a cathartic quality to it. Ocelot accomplished his goal so he had no other reason left to live and willingly breathed the FoxDIE Snake exhaled. Ocelot died because he did want to. The fight also serves as the gradual comeback of Revolver Ocelot's persona inside Ocelot's body right before he dies. IMO, the final fight is both epic and highly emotional as the entire series flashes before our eyes with the two main rivals finally being free from Patriots' hold to fight an honest battle. They were both true soldiers and true soldiers find such a battle to be a genuine and honourable clash of two warriors's spirits.
So no, it was not stupid.

Just a quick question:

Can you explain why
Ocelot didn't die some point after his run-in with Snake in Act 3 on the riverside? They were in very, very close proximity to each other. I would have expected him to contract FoxDie at that point.

Considering that
every character that dies from FoxDie appears to die from physical injuries, the twist at the end seems to cause more plot inconsistencies than it resolves.

SamuraiX-

Steiner_Zi said:
You're wrong.

I think you're both kinda wrong...

Snake : How long do I have?

Naomi : ...Half a year.

Naomi : Don't. Snake. There's something I have to tell you.

Snake : Now what?

Naomi : You and I both know your body is approaching its limit. When I said another half a year, I wasn't talking about your lifespan.

The two then go on to discuss the FOXDIE in Snake's body.

Snake : What if we kill them all - remove them from the body?

Naomi : There are no antibodies, either. I don't know what percentage of the receptors have to break down, or how many people will be targeted when that happens. What is certain is that people will begin to catch FOXDIE through airborne transmission. It'll start with those closest to you... Then, one by one, they'll lose their lives. The part of the virus that distinguishes between individuals will start to break down in about...

Snake : Half a year.

Naomi : No... Three months at the most.

And since the new FOXDIE strain that Drebin injected into Snake continues to multiply and prevents the old FOXDIE from reproducing, Snake has more than 3 months. We have established that Naomi wasn't talking about Snake's lifespan in South America. I'd assume the six month time limit meant when the old FOXDIE would fully broken down, since it starts that breaking down process at three months, and start killing indiscriminately, including Snake.

I think Snake has around a year left in him, like Otacon and him predicted at the beginning of the game.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry if this has been posted before but I just noticed this.

I just started my 3rd time through and I stumbled on something in Act 1.

Right at the spot where you can pose next to the statues. Well I was showing my buddy that and I did it 3 times and on the 3rd time he rips the statues privates off. He then looks at the ground were it fell and then back at the statue with a completely shocked look.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
rhino4evr said:

Yeah this is the weird thing about the game because I dont see why
Ocelot needed snake. He didnt need snake to revover GW, he didnt need snake to take control of SOP and he could have installed the virus himself.

As for the fight on Outer Haven, the way look at it is that Ocelot wanted to see if he could beat snake, Big Boss' strongest son. Eva said that Ocelot was a big admirer of big boss (or something along those lines), so that fight was Ocelots way of seeing if he's become as good as Big Boss.

rhino4evr said:
Face it, the Ocelot is really a good guy twist, makes NO sense when it comes down to his actions towards you in the game and every game he's appeared in. It feels like a cheap attempt at a twist ending.
Exactly. It just doesnt add up.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Arkaerial said:
Sorry if this has been posted before but I just noticed this.

I just started my 3rd time through and I stumbled on something in Act 1.

Right at the spot where you can pose next to the statues. Well I was showing my buddy that and I did it 3 times and on the 3rd time he rips the statues privates off. He then looks at the ground were it fell and then back at the statue with a completely shocked look.
:lol Wow, talk about being late...

rhino4evr

dark10x said:
Yes, I had not heard the line in that quote as I do not use a Dual Shock 3.

Wow you didn't use a Dual Shock? Do yourself a favor and buy one, and replay the game. Believe it or not it added ALOT to the game. In fact I think it had the best use of rumble in a videogame ever. Pretty funny considering the controller JUST came out.

Also

Considering that every
character that dies from FoxDie appears to die from physical injuries, the twist at the end seems to cause more plot inconsistencies than it resolves.

is exactly why the ending was so unneccessary. instead of clearing things up, it just made it much more difficult to understand. Genius!!??

rhino4evr said:
Wow you didn't use a Dual Shock? Do yourself a favor and buy one, and replay the game. Believe it or not it added ALOT to the game. In fact I think it had the best use of rumble in a videogame ever. Pretty funny considering the controller JUST came out.

Also

is exactly why the ending was so unneccessary. instead of clearing things up, it just made it much more difficult to understand. Genius!!??
the
Fox die makes sence because it doesnt nessasarily kill immediatly as seen with Snake having survived with it for years.

rhino4evr

liquidspeed said:
the
Fox die makes sence because it doesnt nessasarily kill immediatly as seen with Snake having survived with it for years.

from my understanding people die from foxdie due to their contact with Solid. He is the catalyst that causes everyone infected to die instantly.

SamuraiX-

liquidspeed said:
the

Naomi set a wildcard program into effect with the FOXDIE in Snake's body. It could attack and kill him at any point in his life. He was just lucky it wasn't able to before Drebin could inject him with that new strain of FOXDIE.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Returners said:
apparently if you play with a SIXAXIS its a different dialogue, so i've heard
he says something to the effect of "what no rumble either?!" after saying something about how there is no memory card.

I really liked the subtle hint in the mantis intro, where she says she knows my wavelength, since the controller is now wireless.

sonicmj1 said:
Just a quick question:
Can you explain why
Ocelot didn't die some point after his run-in with Snake in Act 3 on the riverside? They were in very, very close proximity to each other. I would have expected him to contract FoxDie at that point.
Define proximity. By your standards, Snake and Ocelot were in close proximity at the end of Act 1, as well. From what we have seen in MGS1&4, one has to be face to face with the other in order to be infected.

psycho_snake said:
Yeah this is the weird thing about the game because I dont see why Ocelot needed snake. He didnt need snake to revover GW, he didnt need snake to take control of SOP and he could have installed the virus himself.
There are two reasons.
a)Ocelot could not complete the virus on his own so he had Naomi join the Snake group in order to get help from Otacon. Naomi realised that Sunny was the true ultra-genius so she passed the task of completing the virus to Sunny. FoxALIVE was made thanks to the combination of the genius minds of Sunny, Naomi AND Emma, who must not we forget, was the designer of GW back in MGS2.
b)Completing the virus was not enough, Ocelot had to overcome the AI's impenetrable security. There is no way that anyone would be able to access the system unless he had the AI's authorisation. Ocelot could not mess with a virus afflicting the whole system, he would have his ass kicked by the firewall. He had to have Snake do it without raising suspicions of the extremely cautious AIs. The moment JD was requested access by Snake/MK III to upload the virus willingly did so because it was the only way to stop Liquid Ocelot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom