• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igo

Holy shit guys this game is pissing me off. I'm playing on The Boss Extreme trying to play without any alerts, kills, deaths, or using health items. I was actually finding it quite easy until the point where you have to help Rat Patrol team exit the building. I'm not even having a problem keeping myself alive but instead keeping the fools from getting themselves killed. The AI is so so bad. It becomes so evident on this dificulty. They end up in the open and instead of retreating they just get shot repeatedly or get knocked over by a blast, then proceed to stand back up and repeat the process.

I'm sure someone else has tried this and been victorious so how did you get past it? Right now i'm just using the tranq gun and aiming for heads to save bullets and get praise. Any better methods?

atomico

TTP said:
You are right. There are two tracks indeed. One on the Resistance guy and one on a PMC guard. Official guide says so. Doesn't specify which PMC tho.

got it last night :D

20k398n.jpg

iciw76.jpg

found it on the one PMC soldier standing outside the park all by himself

also got "BioHazard" off the resistance guy. Don't have a shitty cell phone pic of that, tho :lol

Orlics

Igo said:
Holy shit guys this game is pissing me off. I'm playing on The Boss Extreme trying to play without any alerts, kills, deaths, or using health items. I was actually finding it quite easy until the point where you have to help Rat Patrol team exit the building. I'm not even having a problem keeping myself alive but instead keeping the fools from getting themselves killed. The AI is so so bad. It becomes so evident on this dificulty. They end up in the open and instead of retreating they just get shot repeatedly or get knocked over by a blast, then proceed to stand back up and repeat the process.

I'm sure someone else has tried this and been victorious so how did you get past it? Right now i'm just using the tranq gun and aiming for heads to save bullets and get praise. Any better methods?

I just did that yesterday. I finally ended up hiding and using the MKII. :lol it worked wonders, 'cause you don't lose any health and you can go help the individual members relatively quickly.

Steroyd

Igo said:

S.G mines.

S.G mine all the door entrances, so you eliminate as many as possible without the Rat Patrol getting shot.

So i'm happily playing through TBE mode trying to get my chicken run trying to empty all my handgun bullets, and when I killed someone one of those flashback things happened i think it was Liquid saying something about I enjoy killing, and then Snake puked...what!?

Igo

I actually got past it by just getting headshots with the tranq where necessary and letting rat patrol do the rest while i hid like a pussy. I failed enough times to realize there are points where none of rat patrol will actually die and just left them alone during those periods.

I never thought of SG mines but i'll use that in south america during the fight with laughing octopus. I tried the mk. II once but I sucked with it and failed and never thought to try again. Would have been useful because i'm having to slowly let me health regain from half right now.

Igo said:
I actually got past it by just getting headshots with the tranq where necessary and letting rat patrol do the rest while i hid like a pussy. I failed enough times to realize there are points where none of rat patrol will actually die and just left them alone during those periods.

I never thought of SG mines but i'll use that in south america during the fight with laughing octopus. I tried the mk. II once but I sucked with it and failed and never thought to try again. Would have been useful because i'm having to slowly let me health regain from half right now.

Yeah I am going through that part right now and the only times I have seen anyone on Rat Patrol die is if
one of my S.G. Mines knocks them out at which point a Frog almost always goes for a immediate head
shot.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
So what's the significance of the word "EXIST" replacing the word
"EXIT" on the Game Over screens during seemingly random parts of the game? When I select "EXIST" I hear Liquid Ocelot yell "Brother! It's not over... not yet!", then the cursor gets forced back to the "CONTINUE" option.

Pretty cool, I've run into it several times on TBE
cause I suck
. But what exactly triggers the occurrence?

Calcaneus

I'm playing again on Big Boss Hard, and I'm convinced that Act 2 is the best one gameplay-wise. I'm keeping a save file at that point so I can dick around whenever I want. I don't know how many hours I've spent there already.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Calcaneus said:
I'm playing again on Big Boss Hard, and I'm convinced that Act 2 is the best one gameplay-wise. I'm keeping a save file at that point so I can dick around whenever I want. I don't know how many hours I've spent there already.
Agree 100%.

Firewire

Banned
AKS said:
I'd recommend picking up weapons and ammo your enemies drop in the future and search bodies, but for now I'd concentrate on aiming for the head (but below the metal armor). Pick up some ammo from Drebin. The best way to kill her tends to be by hitting her with something powerful then going for cover, then jumping out and tagging her. Efficiency helps a lot. A rapid fire Rambo approach just wastes bullets, as she'll start to block most of them. Explosives aren't terribly useful against her. Try a nice shotgun blast up close then cover behind a wall for a few moments before attacking again. A shotgun is handy because it can actually knock her down and maybe land an extra shot. The most effective weapons against her are weapons you don't have, so try being more efficient with headshots with your M4 in controlled bursts or pick up a shotgun of some sort if you don't already have one. If she rolls into a ball, climb onto something and don't get hit by that. Dive away from those floating explosives.Use night vision to keep track of her when she hides and hit her with your best shot when she's hiding rather than attacking.

Thanks allot! Also to the others that gave me tips thanks as well. I finally killed that laughing
whore
using some of the advice you guys gave.

rcua1884

Firewire said:
Thanks allot! Also to the others that gave me tips thanks as well. I finally killed that laughing
whore

She is not a
whore
. She's
horizontally accessible

SRG01

The Rat Patrol part actually has infinite Smoke Grenades. Just throw them and approach Johnny. I believe he'll give you stun grenades and sleep gas mines once.

rhino4evr

sequel/prequel ideas...

so how possible is a Raiden/Akiba sequel with Old snake becoming the main traget with a sniper stand off battle similar to THE END in MGS3. Snake could even be in a wheelchair!! BRILLIANT.

Or... how about a Ocelot game that starts as he's young, and continues throughout the years?

or maybe a Otacon dating sim for the Wii. He gets all the girls.

jax (old)

Banned
I have to say, with the engine that hideo built, I hope Konami will use it and get them to make more next gen titles. Its pretty damn awesome. That is all. I couldn't get into the game on 2nd playthrough; don't tend to do these much. Tired a lot. But really, great engine. They've really put the dev time to great use.

AKS

Kadey said:
I'm dying here after using the crying ammo on a bunch of enemies. :lol

I'm on a completely carefree "chicken run" after getting the Big Boss Emblem, and I've found emotion-inducing smoke grenades and the bandana are a very entertaining combination. :lol I've also got such a vicious arsenal now. The M82 is such a monster! You can kill Gekkos and helicopters with that thing. A friend of mine is a sniper in real life and uses that thing. He informed me that it's often used more for disabling vehicles than individual human targets, which is what made me think I should try it out on Gekkos and helicopters. It's definitely one of the best weapons in the game.

Pimpwerx

AKS said:
I'm on a completely carefree "chicken run" after getting the Big Boss Emblem, and I've found emotion-inducing smoke grenades and the bandana are a very entertaining combination. :lol I've also got such a vicious arsenal now. The M82 is such a monster! You can kill Gekkos and helicopters with that thing. A friend of mine is a sniper in real life and uses that thing. He informed me that it's often used more for disabling vehicles than individual human targets, which is what made me think I should try it out on Gekkos and helicopters. It's definitely one of the best weapons in the game.
The MGS4 weapons hierarchy goes something like this IMO:

1. Railgun
- The range of a sniper rifle with more punch than a 'nade launcher, when fully-charged.
2. M82A2
- Same as above with slightly less punch, but a much higher fire rate.
3. XM25
- Thank god the frogs don't know how to use these well. Best mid-range, anti-personel weapon IMO.
4. Patriot
- Should be #1, but it'ssuch cheese.
5. P90
- Who cares if it doesn't have the stopping power when it has one of the highest fire rates and a 50 round clip? Again, thank god the frogs haven't figured this out.

Honorable Mention: MK17
- I see a lot of guides recommend the M4 for assault rifles, but the MK17 has stopping power. It doesn't matter if it only hold 50 rounds and has no sup. It will kill anything you point it at.

PEACE.

i wish there was some way to just load up all the music on the menu without loading up the game so you can listen to the music anytime you want conveniently

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
momolicious said:
i wish there was some way to just load up all the music on the menu without loading up the game so you can listen to the music anytime you want conveniently

I'd actually rather have music import from the main game to Online. That'd be awesome.

AKS

Maggot9 said:
If I use my Stealth item to get no kills on my next playthrough, will it give me the Bandana upon completion?

You'll be forced to wear a dunce cap and a big nametag that says "CHEATER!!!" around your neck in all subsequent playthroughs if you do that. OK, not really, but don't do that.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
AKS said:
You guys just can't be satisfied with Snake having a few months of peace in which he isn't being shot, stabbed, electrocuted, beaten, or microwaved, can you? This guy deserves a bit of happiness and peace for a change. He only has a few months to live. Let him have a few moments to spend with people he cares about and enjoy his final days.

Yeah, did no one cared that Snake was basically
tortured through half the game, physically & emotionally
, just to end it like that would have been an insult to him.

BTW was there any time in the game were you normally fight the Power Suit enemies?

AKS

FTWer said:
Yeah, did no one cared that Snake was basically
tortured through half the game, physically & emotionally
, just to end it like that would have been an insult to him.

BTW was there any time in the game were you normally fight the Power Suit enemies?

No, the power suit enemies were evidently just put in there to irritate me by screwing up my no kill runs. :lol

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Kadey said:
You mean when you're on the getaway part, you can't kill the powersuit guys with the machine gun?

That is correct... gunning them down = kills... Don't listen to what Drebins says!

Ephemeris

Just finished my second play-through (spent most of my MGS4 time in MGO). Instead of trying to be swift I decided to "farm" chaff grenades for my TBE run (have about 14). Picked up the Altair outfit this time around too. Solar Gun from 1st play-through + 14 chaff grenades + the non-lethal ammo that I remembered to buy at the last possible moment = prepared, I hope.

sonicmj1

momolicious said:
so how do yall listen to the music? load up the singleplayer game and leave snake standing there with the IPOD on?

You can listen to your iPod in the virtual range. I find that a good place to listen to songs.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Kadey said:
You mean when you're on the getaway part, you can't kill the powersuit guys with the machine gun?

Any other part than that?
Seems strange to have an enemy in the game that you never actually get to fight other than a scripted event.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
FTWer said:
Any other part than that?
Seems strange to have an enemy in the game that you never actually get to fight other than a scripted event.

Probably something that got cut out. I mean, the part after that with the civilians running around was weird too cause it looks nice and they put some work in it, yet you're told to just run through, and I did, didn't shoot or anything, just ran through and rolled around. Lack of dev time is my guess.

Catalix

Solideliquid said:
Who does Liquid/Ocelot
shoot at the end of act three after saying "so long snake!"
Not really sure myself. Just a guess, but
the boat's gas tank? It goes BOOM as soon as he fires his gun.
I dunno.

AKS

Ephemeris said:
Just finished my second play-through (spent most of my MGS4 time in MGO). Instead of trying to be swift I decided to "farm" chaff grenades for my TBE run (have about 14). Picked up the Altair outfit this time around too. Solar Gun from 1st play-through + 14 chaff grenades + the non-lethal ammo that I remembered to buy at the last possible moment = prepared, I hope.

The bad news is that you can only carry 10 chaff grenades on The Boss Extreme, but the good news is that you actually don't even need that many. If you have 10, also remember that you can pick up a chaff at the marketplace so it's OK to chaff the gekkos because you can get it right back before the exit.

Am I the only one that stopped playing the game until trophies come? I'm almost done with Act 4 in my Big Boss Hard run and so far I only have 1 kill and 1 alert (I decided that I wanted to try to a little too late). So I'm sure if I get right to the end, and then beat it once trophies come out I'll get something for it.

Darkpen

Banned
Solideliquid said:
Who does Liquid/Ocelot
shoot at the end of act three after saying "so long snake!"
he shoots the head of
Solidus, who's encased in plastic and surrounded with what we can presume to be some sort of inflammable liquid

But that aside, guys, I was watching an episode of family guy, and who's name do I see in the credits but Lori Alan? :lol

I went ahead and IMDbed her, and she apparently does Diane Simmons on the show. What I also noticed was that she was credited for Rosemary for MGS3:S. I assume this is referring to the Metal Gear Raiden parody video, since Flynn didn't do the voice for that either.

And apparently, Lara Cody is a returning voice for Rose, as opposed to what we thought was a separate voice actress. I guess she had a name change or something, no idea.

Ferrio

Banned
Darkpen said:
he shoots the head of
Solidus, who's encased in plastic and surrounded with what we can presume to be some sort of inflammable liquid

But that aside, guys, I was watching an episode of family guy, and who's name do I see in the credits but Lori Alan? :lol

I went ahead and IMDbed her, and she apparently does Diane Simmons on the show. What I also noticed was that she was credited for Rosemary for MGS3:S. I assume this is referring to the Metal Gear Raiden parody video, since Flynn didn't do the voice for that either.

She also plays "Pearl" on Spongebob Square pants. It's really hard for me to take the boss seriously.

Darkpen

Banned
Ferrio said:
She also plays "Pearl" on Spongebob Square pants. It's really hard for me to take the boss seriously.
Really? What about the fact that Kikuko Inoue did so many traditionally character roles in animes prior to The Boss?

When it comes to voice actors, I personally find it easier to just enjoy them for the role that they did, as opposed to drawing comparisons to other roles they've taken up, especially when the voices don't sound alike. I mean, in the case of where the voices do sound alike, its unavoidable, but when its not, what does it matter?

Darkpen

Banned
Blu_LED said:
Am I the only one that stopped playing the game until trophies come? I'm almost done with Act 4 in my Big Boss Hard run and so far I only have 1 kill and 1 alert (I decided that I wanted to try to a little too late). So I'm sure if I get right to the end, and then beat it once trophies come out I'll get something for it.
just beat the damn game. Its a really short game for subsequent playthroughs with skipping cutscenes.

Firewire said:
whore
she's not a whore D:

Steroyd

Kadey said:
I'm dying here after using the crying ammo on a bunch of enemies. :lol

What is the difference between Crying and Screaming Ammo?
Rage and Laughing are fun, but i can't see the difference between the other 2. :/

So I'm sure if I get right to the end, and then beat it once trophies come out I'll get something for it.

Has MGS4 been confirmed for trophies? I thought it was everyone was just praying.

I would like to think that the biggest PS3 release so far would be a no brainer for trophy support in the future. I expect them to discuss trophies and where they're taking the PSN further this E3 and they'll probably mention MGS4 getting patched there.

I hope I'm right. ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom