• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just done my 0 Alerts, 0 Kills, and 0 Health items run which was amazing. Entering Outer Haven (and getting there in the first place) without getting an Alert was beyond epic, and one of the most exciting and tense gaming experiences in a long time.

Now I am going for the Assassins Creed unlock. It requires 50 kills from the knife and 50 CQC holds. If I sneak up behind someone, grab them (R1), then slit their throat (Triangle)will that count as both a knife kill and a CQC hold? I am assuming it will, but thought I'd ask!

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Did alot of playing last night. Played Act 2, 3 and currently on the boss of 4. WOW.

While Shadow Moses didn't have much of an impact on me, Act 3 was just fucking amazing. That city part was way too sweet and the whole story that got revealed. Zero? That was pretty awesome to hear. And Sigint being the DARPA chief. Just a question, maybe I missed it, how did Para Medic die? Or is that going to be revealed later on?

And that Liquid gif is the best pic out there! :D

Teetris said:
Did alot of playing last night. Played Act 2, 3 and currently on the boss of 4. WOW.

While Shadow Moses didn't have much of an impact on me, Act 3 was just fucking amazing. That city part was way too sweet and the whole story that got revealed. Zero? That was pretty awesome to hear. And Sigint being the DARPA chief. Just a question, maybe I missed it, how did Para Medic die? Or is that going to be revealed later on?

Gray Fox/Frank Jaeger kills her before the events of MGS1.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Steroyd said:
ah!

The tank blows up anyway, but it's mission accomplished when you can go through via the main road instead of climbing up the ladder to go round, gotchya
I just spent way too fucking long trying to find that last rocket launder dude and now I'm reading it's just some lame magical rockets from the sky that destroy it at the end no matter what I do? I can't, in fact, save the tank? LAME.

BlockBastard said:
TGS or E3 2009. Too soon to announce something new.
Too soon to show something, not too soon to announce it. :) Snake Eater was released in March 2005 in Europe and MGS4 was announced in the following May at E3. Having said that, though, I don't think they'll announce anything, either.

Personally, I don't want a MGS5 or 6 or 7. Give us a new Metal Gear saga, Konami. A sequel after the events of Guns of the Patriots, an alternate timeline, whatever.

Steroyd

Dan said:
I just spent way too fucking long trying to find that last rocket launder dude and now I'm reading it's just some lame magical rockets from the sky that destroy it at the end no matter what I do? I can't, in fact, save the tank? LAME.

I spent too long to. :lol

I did it perfectly up until the enemies perma spawned from around the corner, I used the NV mode to see where the fuck the missile came from and it came from behind the level like someone was using a Javelin, so yeah it is impossible to save it after a certain point.

I was doing the chicken run anyway so I don't really care. :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dan said:

Have you tried tossing a chaff? ;)

I kid, tank is still fucked :(

atomico

Darkpen said:
I went ahead and IMDbed her, and she apparently does Diane Simmons on the show. What I also noticed was that she was credited for Rosemary for MGS3:S. I assume this is referring to the Metal Gear Raiden parody video, since Flynn didn't do the voice for that either.

And apparently, Lara Cody is a returning voice for Rose, as opposed to what we thought was a separate voice actress. I guess she had a name change or something, no idea.

another weird thing about the voice cast,
Big Boss is voiced by the same actor (Richard Doyle) who played The Fury in MGS3. It's two different guys in the japanese version, though, so I guess it's just an odd casting decision

I remember reading his name on the opening credits
and expecting The Cobras to come back to life of something:lol kinda ironic...

sca2511

Teetris said:

I am pretty sure Para Medic aka. Dr. Clark died when Grey Fox escaped from the labs. Dr. Clark resurrected Grey Fox to become the Cyborg Ninja I believe.

Nemesis_

sca2511 said:
I am pretty sure Para Medic aka. Dr. Clark died when Grey Fox escaped from the labs. Dr. Clark resurrected Grey Fox to become the Cyborg Ninja I believe.
Pretty much.

In 1999, immediately after Big Boss's Zanzibar Land Uprising was thwarted by Solid Snake, Dr. Clark was the scientist in charge of putting Big Boss in an artificially induced coma and reviving Gray Fox by implanting him with a cyborg exoskeleton, thus transforming him into the Cyborg Ninja.

In 2003, Dr. Clark met her end when Gray Fox, freed by his adopted sister Naomi Hunter, killed her, taking revenge for all the years of torment he had endured.

^ The fate of Para-Medic /
Dr. Clark

Steiner_Zi said:
Too soon to show something, not too soon to announce it. :) Snake Eater was released in March 2005 in Europe and MGS4 was announced in the following May at E3. Having said that, though, I don't think they'll announce anything, either.

Personally, I don't want a MGS5 or 6 or 7. Give us a new Metal Gear saga, Konami. A sequel after the events of Guns of the Patriots, an alternate timeline, whatever.

id like to have a new main cast with the old team taking some smaller support roles in the same universe, with prequels continuing as portable ops 2, 3 etc.

thats my optimum.

Darkpen said:
When it comes to voice actors, I personally find it easier to just enjoy them for the role that they did, as opposed to drawing comparisons to other roles they've taken up, especially when the voices don't sound alike. I mean, in the case of where the voices do sound alike, its unavoidable, but when its not, what does it matter?

I had fun fighting Leonardo in MGS1. :D

I knew about the Master Miller twist before it happend cause I could tell it was Cam Clarke doing both voices.

The Chef

TEH-CJ said:
Finished the game for the 10th time :lol

still love the shit out of it!

10TH!?!?!

Im on my 2nd play through. Im doin Big Boss Extreme and am trying to attempt it without being detected. My god its hard.

Nemesis_

Flunkie said:
I hope they're planning more than three expansion packs. This pack has NOTHING to do with Gene from Portable Ops, leading me to believe there will be a pack for GENE, a pack for MEME and a pack for SCENE. (I hope people understand what I'm talking about here >_>)

Another story - was looking for some pics of Boss and EVA by the camp fire the other day, and I cam across a Metal Gear Solid Slash Fanfic Community. I don't know what Slash is, but, well, now I do, and I am wondering WHY people come up with this shit.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Steiner_Zi said:
Didn't you get that the old FoxDIE which was the problem was having his ass kicked by the new one? The latter will start to mutate as well after a while but Snake will long be dead by then. That's what BB told him and that's why there was no reason for him to kill himself anymore.
Kojima should never have put in that plot twist. Snake should have gone to the graveyard, shot himself for a noble cause and that should have been the end of it. There was no need to include that bit about the new foxdie killing the old one and there was no reason to bring back big boss

psycho_snake

The Chef said:
10TH!?!?!

Im on my 2nd play through. Im doin Big Boss Extreme and am trying to attempt it without being detected. My god its hard.
Yeah same. I'm either a lot worse at the game than I thought i was or Big Boss hard is actually really challenging. I think its a mix between the two. On Normal you could be pretty close to PMC's and you'd be able to get past them easily. In Bos Boss Hard they can spot you pretty easily.

rhino4evr

psycho_snake said:
Kojima should never have put in that plot twist. Snake should have gone to the graveyard, shot himself for a noble cause and that should have been the end of it. There was no need to include that bit about the new foxdie killing the old one and there was no reason to bring back big boss

maybe..but then we would have nothing to talk/argue about!!

psycho_snake

rhino4evr said:
maybe..but then we would have nothing to talk/argue about!!
We would though. People who wanted
snake to live
would be annoyed
with the suicide ending
and then there are other people who will argue just for the sake of arguing!

So are weapon prices the same on all difficulty levels?

I'm trying to decide if I should buy them all in act 5 (on normal) or stock up on an Easy run.

rhino4evr

psycho_snake said:
We would though. People who wanted
snake to live
would be annoyed
with the suicide ending
and then there are other people who will argue just for the sake of arguing!

I didn't care that
he lived, and I kind of appreciate the fact the Hideo likes to fuck with his fans, but the whole Ocelot is a good guy, and a genius mastermind doesn't make ANY sense. It just fills the plot of the entire series full of holes. It was clrearly done to screw with everyones head. I couldn't believe how well the story had wrapped up all of my questions, and then just as the end credits started, totally threw all the conclusions into the blender. It's a very typical Anime ending, which kind of makes sense

You kind of have to appreciate the insanity of it all.

Imm0rt4l

rhino4evr said:
but the whole Ocelot is a good guy, and a genius mastermind doesn't make ANY sense. It just fills the plot of the entire series full of holes.

You kind of have to appreciate the insanity of it all.

that was actually one of the only parts that made sense, I mean
Ocelot is always one step ahead of the player, he's always double/triple crossing, and the guy had such admiration for big boss, you're never really supposed to know where his true intentions lie, but it can only be hinted at. In that sense, Ocelot is one of the more consistent characters of the series.

Dante

Let's pretend like we're just getting started.......

Not really a bad time to be banned really. I really can't compare this game to any other type of experience be it games or film. MGS4 superceeds pretty much everything else out there by such a large margin, I'm not sure if I'll be able to look at big budget games the same way again. There are so many layers to every aspect of this game I can't even imagine not continuously playing this game for most of the summer. Act 2 was such a climactic moment for me, I literally started the whole game over again at that point to experience it all again, and prolong my first play through.I usually average about 6-8 hours per act as I pretty much find myself trying to savor every moment, exaqmine every space, find new routes, I can't get enough of this game, and I dont see that changing anytime soon.

Where this game literally bitchslaps every single other game in existence is the sound design....OMG. Anybody not using a decent sound set up for this game is doing themselves a major disservice.

The best part though is to actually have a game where I care about the characters enough to actually feel real emotions for what happens to them.

It was so nice to have a next gen sequel also not only meet my lofty expectations, abut actually superceed them, games like Halo 3, GTAIV, DMC4, were good, but they' failed to deliver what I imagined their next gen iterations would deliver, hats off to Kojipro, this game is an amazing accomplishment, and pretty much the gold standard for which every multi-year, big budget AAA title should be measured against.

BeeDog

Alright, back from the ban, and gotta chime in:

Awesome game, a lot of sillyness here and there, but on the whole, I love it. No game has driven me to start a replay immediately after finishing the game, there's just so much to unlock and so on.

Did anyone ask Payton whether or not trophies will be incorporated?

BeeDog said:
Did anyone ask Payton whether or not trophies will be incorporated?

I think he might still be on vacation? Sounded like a lot of PTO to burn? I would figure the podcasts would start popping up if he was back.

ThirstyFly said:
So are weapon prices the same on all difficulty levels?

I'm trying to decide if I should buy them all in act 5 (on normal) or stock up on an Easy run.

Yeah, prices are the same and are determined solely by time/act rules, but the amount of money you earn goes up on higher difficulties (the end act rewards are higher, and the percentage of value you get goes up significantly for pick-ups)

If you want one of the special items, it's probably best to get a good rank on Normal or BB and then top off in an easy run if you don't earn enough in time.

SamuraiX-

Awntawn said:
For those people who refuse to accept the whole
Liquid Doppelganger
thing, I recommend the movie "Tale of Two Sisters". I have no idea how the Hollywood version is going to turn out, but the Korean movie was very eye-opening about a similar concept. Turn on the subtitles and let it rip D;

Watched it earlier this week. Turned out a lot better than I could even think it would have. The execution for the ending of the movie had me questioning way too many times wtf was going on. It's like, I create a theory in my head... "Oh, so that's it!", then something happens: "Shit! That can't be it if that just happened!" :lol

A classic horror film. The only difference
between Su-Mi creating multiple doppelganger persona of her sister and her step mom and Ocelot creating a doppelganger persona of Liquid was that the girl in the movie did it subconsciously based on the trauma that occurred in her family when she was young. Ocelot created his persona of Liquid knowingly and willingly, through different kinds of manipulation techniques.

The movie does do a good job in its presentation of Su-Mi's "illness." I agree that people who thought the explanation for Liquid Ocelot was "lame," "stupid," "easy way out," or any combination of the sort should definitely check out this film. It'll more than likely change your perspective on things.

Pimpwerx said:
The MGS4 weapons hierarchy goes something like this IMO:

1. Railgun
- The range of a sniper rifle with more punch than a 'nade launcher, when fully-charged.
2. M82A2
- Same as above with slightly less punch, but a much higher fire rate.
3. XM25
- Thank god the frogs don't know how to use these well. Best mid-range, anti-personel weapon IMO.
4. Patriot
- Should be #1, but it'ssuch cheese.
5. P90
- Who cares if it doesn't have the stopping power when it has one of the highest fire rates and a 50 round clip? Again, thank god the frogs haven't figured this out.

Honorable Mention: MK17
- I see a lot of guides recommend the M4 for assault rifles, but the MK17 has stopping power. It doesn't matter if it only hold 50 rounds and has no sup. It will kill anything you point it at.

PEACE.

i prefer the XM8 more.

Crazymoogle said:
Yeah, prices are the same and are determined solely by time/act rules, but the amount of money you earn goes up on higher difficulties (the end act rewards are higher, and the percentage of value you get goes up significantly for pick-ups)

If you want one of the special items, it's probably best to get a good rank on Normal or BB and then top off in an easy run if you don't earn enough in time.

K. Thanks for the tip. I'm looking to do a no alert/no kill run on Easy first (and to unlock those items). I already did a run on Normal and don't want to start off doing a no alert on BB :)

I'm probably going to get some flak for this, but after playing MGS4 for the third time, I prefer MGS3 in terms of gameplay, story, music, artstyle, and level design. Don't get me wrong, MGS4 is a good game, but eh. I just wasn't feeling it. =\

AKS

klee123 said:
M82A2 is probably the most useful weapon considering the power, fire rate and ammo capacity.

I think I found the rail gun a bit more useful for one hit devastation, especially for the 1-hit gekko destruction punch I used to avoid alerts and detection on Hard and Extreme, but the M82 is better for rapid attacks when you don't have time to charge. Both weapons are brutal.

AKS

psycho_snake said:
Yeah same. I'm either a lot worse at the game than I thought i was or Big Boss hard is actually really challenging. I think its a mix between the two. On Normal you could be pretty close to PMC's and you'd be able to get past them easily. In Bos Boss Hard they can spot you pretty easily.

They can also hear you from a mile away on Extreme. You really have to be careful not to make any noise.

1stStrike

Banned
The AI is more realistic on TBE. If you're jogging around or just blatantly obvious they're gonna notice and shoot you in the face.

I learned a lot on my TBE run..and it definitely helped me online too cause I really learned the sneaking system well. You don't have to be nearly as stealthy to get through the other game modes (especially if you're not going for a no alert run).

klee123

AKS said:
I think I found the rail gun a bit more useful for one hit devastation, especially for the 1-hit gekko destruction punch I used to avoid alerts and detection on Hard and Extreme, but the M82 is better for rapid attacks when you don't have time to charge. Both weapons are brutal.

Oh for sure the rail gun is more powerful overall, but the problem is the long charge time for the damage rating to reach S level(5000 damage), whilst Level 1 is B and Level 2 is A. Compared to the M82 which is S ranking at 2500 damage per shot.

From my experience, I took down Gekkos much quicker with the M82 as if you shoot them undetected, as they fall down in one hit as well.

Is it possible to get the M82 in the game without buying it?

Dante

Ploid 3.0 said:
Welcome back from the ban guys. I felt sorry for you all. Your input on the game was missed, especially SolidSnakeX.

Thanks, surprisingly I have moved over to MGO, and have been playing quite a bit of that as of late. I thought I'd be playing SP longer, but with the trophy patch coming later, I'll put my progress in getting everything in Single Player on hold for now. That said, I'm LOVING MGO, Easily my favorite online multi player game, I really hope the community can last over the long term, and doesn't get splintered out too heavily, because I really want the add ons :)

TBE should really be called realistic mode. As that is what it is.
The AI is really impressive on that mode, as long as you play by the rules obviously.

1stStrike

Banned
Dante said:
Thanks, surprisingly I have moved over to MGO, and have been playing quite a bit of that as of late. I thought I'd be playing SP longer, but with the trophy patch coming later, I'll put my progress in getting everything in Single Player on hold for now. That said, I'm LOVING MGO, Easily my favorite online multi player game, I really hope the community can last over the long term, and doesn't get splintered out too heavily, because I really want the add ons :)

Well, in case you're interested, we do have a NeoGAF MGO Clan. Quite a few of us gaffers (in both US and Europe) play together.

MarkMan said:
So I was watching the MGS4 world tour thing that was linked on Dengeki's site... it was awesome.

http://dol.dengeki.com/movie/asx/080711mgs4_1.asx

So yea, I can tell now that Yumi Kikuchi did the mo-cap for Mei Ling. Her ass is bangin.

IN THOSE JEANSSSSSSSS

Holy shit, thanks for that link. Jesus, i'm saving it using SDP, god damn, I might be in this video because I was interviewed by one of the guys. I'm gonna look like a complete idiot x_x

meeee.jpg

YEAH!!!

I'm sorta glad they didn't put my embarassing awkward message to the team which I said in probably the worst japanese they will ever hear >_X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom