• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darkpen said:
just beat the damn game. Its a really short game for subsequent playthroughs with skipping cutscenes.

she's not a whore D:
Of course I beat the game. Do you think I could have 20 years of story hanging over my head and stop halfway through? I stopped my 3rd run through towards the end.

AKS

klee123 said:
Oh for sure the rail gun is more powerful overall, but the problem is the long charge time for the damage rating to reach S level(5000 damage), whilst Level 1 is B and Level 2 is A. Compared to the M82 which is S ranking at 2500 damage per shot.

From my experience, I took down Gekkos much quicker with the M82 as if you shoot them undetected, as they fall down in one hit as well.

Is it possible to get the M82 in the game without buying it?

I thought gekkos took two hits from the M82. I could be wrong. The helicopters do. The 1-hit power of the rail gun was crucial for me because I kill the gekkos rather than trying to sneak around them and did so when getting the Big Boss emblem as well. 1-hit kill equals no alerts. I didn't mind charging the rail gun up. The rail gun's 1-hit power also really came into play against
Crying Wolf, as she runs and relocates quickly after you hit her, which is terrible for speed runs if you don't do massive damage every hit and have to track her down additional times. I was able to neutralize her in around 12 minutes on Extreme (not saying that's anything special, but I'd heard of other people spending 45 minutes or more on her and using up a lot of precious tranq ammo on the FROGS in the process and I wanted to avoid that) and I even screwed up a couple of times (accidentally shot a wall; her head was half obscured by a barrier and I screwed up the shot).

Ok heres a gif, a funny one
OMG.gif

OH MY GAHD I CANT BELIEVE YOU MADE THIS GAME FINALLY AFTER HOW MANY LONG YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ephemeris

dabookerman said:
TBE should really be called realistic mode. As that is what it is.
The AI is really impressive on that mode, as long as you play by the rules obviously.

Agreed. I currently have a love/hate relationship with it though. I had a ton of epic close calls, especially in Act 1.:lol Sloppiness = punishment. In any case, I'm currently fighting Laughing Octopus with an hour and one minute on the clock; though I'm kicking myself in the butt for forgetting to buy the colored smoke grenades. -__-

dabookerman said:
OMG.gif

OH MY GAHD I CANT BELIEVE YOU MADE THIS GAME FINALLY AFTER HOW MANY LONG YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here's a Fun Fact: Three Gaffers are behind the camera-man at that time.:lol

DonDepre

Banned
I registered as soon as I saw the first post of this thread.

Now that my account is activated, perhaps is too late to enter in the discussion, except in two things.

1.- GAME OF THE FOREVER
2.- THREAD OF THE FOREVER

dabookerman said:
OMG.gif

:lol

I saw that guy behind the mohawk guy get reprimanded for sitting on the floor. A RASTA DON SIT ON NO FLOOR.

She looked pretty at both NYC signing, but she wore this awesome kimono (I think) at the midnight launch. There's plenty of pics of her and others, just search 'kojima' 'mgs4' 'launch' on flickr.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I'm probably going to get some flak for this, but after playing MGS4 for the third time, I prefer MGS3 in terms of gameplay, story, music, artstyle, and level design. Don't get me wrong, MGS4 is a good game, but eh. I just wasn't feeling it. =\

not to crazy...a coworker of mine stated the exact same thing

I just finished MGS4 tonight and i'm still taking it all in....

AKS

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I'm probably going to get some flak for this, but after playing MGS4 for the third time, I prefer MGS3 in terms of gameplay, story, music, artstyle, and level design. Don't get me wrong, MGS4 is a good game, but eh. I just wasn't feeling it. =\

I respect your opinion, but I had the exact opposite reaction. I just finished
killing The Boss
again 30 minutes ago and I immediately said to myself I just can't go back after experiencing MGS4's far superior controls. Trying to aim and hit her with the Nagant was such a chore and we're talking about my favorite MGS character of all time and one of my favorite battles (at least it used to be). I wish they would remake MGS3 with MGS4's controls and game engine; MGS3 isn't the same going back through it post-MGS4.

I actually thinking about it now....my coworker only stated that he prefered the tone, style, characters and overall plot execution of MGS3 over MGS4

For me....like I said, I'm still taking it all in but one thing I was telling a friend at work yesterday is that I LOOOOVED ACT 1 AND 2.....why? because it was just soooo progressive for the series.
Act 3 came along and while I adore it's visual palette and aesthetic (probably a high point for me next to MGS3's art design), it's also where the obvious gears change and the game for me became too passive and too, I dunno "metal gear"

Like a poster said a few pages back, the writing and the setup is just sooo damn ace in the 1st 2 Acts....

It's cool because like MGS2, we'll be revisiting MGS4 for years in regards to plot devices, execution, etc. ....so I like that longevity

...but I won't lie...it just wasn't immediately satisfying like MGS3 was

SamuraiX-

MarkMan said:
So I was watching the MGS4 world tour thing that was linked on Dengeki's site... it was awesome.

http://dol.dengeki.com/movie/asx/080711mgs4_1.asx

So yea, I can tell now that Yumi Kikuchi did the mo-cap for Mei Ling. Her ass is bangin.

IN THOSE JEANSSSSSSSS

Damn. Yumi is bangin' in every outfit she wears. Gotta love a girl with variety. :D

And I just noticed after watching that video... It looks like Madrid and Amsterdam were the quietest places on the World Tour. On the other hand, New York was without doubt the most fucking insane. :lol

All of the locations they visited in Japan looked pretty tamed also. They pretty much just set up shop along the street. Guess they don't have to worry about assassins with the crime rate in Japan being so low. :p

dabookerman said:
OMG.gif

booker... you rule SO fucking hard for making that. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I love how the black dude behind the guy is just standing there with his hands up. He looks so confused. :lol

Just finished the game last night... While I thought it was really awesome up to Act 5, I have to say the last act was very disappointing; brief and boring game play, and holy shit what a ridiculous ending.

That aside, the rest of the game is top notch, will definitely be playing it again on a harder difficulty.

Darkpen

Banned
lol, what a touching video. :D

Naked Snake said:
Just finished the game last night... While I thought it was really awesome up to Act 5, I have to say the last act was very disappointing; brief and boring game play, and holy shit what a ridiculous ending.

That aside, the rest of the game is top notch, will definitely be playing it again on a harder difficulty.
what's funny about outer haven is that there's actually quite a bit of stuff you can do in the area you're thrown into, but most people won't notice it until their second or third time there.

kitch9

Banned
Just finished today. Fucking loved every minute of it. Welled up at the end, felt like a right pussy. :lol

I can't remember ever enjoying a game as much, there were touches of genius at times.

Awesome.

patsu

Darkpen said:
lol, what a touching video. :D

what's funny about outer haven is that there's actually quite a bit of stuff you can do in the area you're thrown into, but most people won't notice it until their second or third time there.

What else can you do there ? I managed to find some railgun ammo and that's it :(

Blueblur1

So last time I played I defeated the chick in Act 2. I'm not feeling the game and I don't feel like finishing it. I might take it to GameStop and trade it in.

Got the game with the gamestop 25% off used ps3 games (check CAG for coupon) saturday morning...played all the way through (had my gf pick me up some chinese food :lol ) amazing game. Every minute of it felt so polished, only complaint is the seemingly hours of cut scenes but the story had to be told.

My rating of the game 9.5, because i need MOAR metal gear solid :D

Schrade

Metalmurphy said:
Why go through so much trouble?

You guys are aware that asx file is just a container for the streaming file right?

Right Click > Properties : Voila!

mms://stream.mediaworks.co.jp/dol/080711mgs4_1.wmv

You can download directly from there.
Only if you use a program like Orbit Downloader, SDP or VLC.

Meier

Dude... those suicide gekko are nightmares. I wish I could figure out how to hit their brains consistently. I killed at least 15-20 of them and then died...sucked.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I just decided to play the game some more, this time on hard, after I beat it last week on Solid Normal...

So I loaded my complete file, picked Hard mode... and now im installing AGAIN?
How does that make sense! I already installed it :(

Meier said:
Dude... those suicide gekko are nightmares. I wish I could figure out how to hit their brains consistently. I killed at least 15-20 of them and then died...sucked.

Just wait for a fully charged shot. Don't shoot Level 1 or 2 shots. Use 3 only.

Otheradam

John Harker said:
I just decided to play the game some more, this time on hard, after I beat it last week on Solid Normal...

So I loaded my complete file, picked Hard mode... and now im installing AGAIN?
How does that make sense! I already installed it :(

It has to install every chapter individually. When you move to a new chapter, it deletes the save data from the last chapter. So if you load from act 5, play it, and then load an old save from act 4, it reinstalls that act and deletes act 5 at the same time. Yes, it's annoying.

Ephemeris

My Boss Extreme Run is over at last. :D Final Time: 3hours and 23 minutes. lol I couldn't resist watching the
big boss
cutscenes. What can I say, he's my fave.

Highlights
1)Running through Act 5 (1st try, no do-overs) with clutch headshots of 100% Accuracy & Win. The Frogs never stood a chance. :lol Mantis in TBE was easier than my two previous playthroughs on Solid Normal. Yes, practice makes perfect I suppose.
2) Crying Wolf battle. The hunter became the hunted. It was quite the rush sneaking across the map while taking shots at Wolf. I used the .50 caliber rifle during that fight as the Rail Gun charged too long for me. I need this stage in MGO (never gonna happen).
3) Close calls I had in Act 1; Running through the latter half of Act 2.

Hardest part of the whole game for me wasn't the Act 3 chase nor the last battle of the game (F*ck you
MGS2 Ocelot
). No friends, it was the beginning of Act 2. *curses under his breath* It took me soo long to get to the first checkpoint -_-

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
The thing that still gives me goosebumps about the ending is that
is how Kojima introduced these characters in MGS3, they were all working together and doing what they sought as the right thing to do. They seemed like normal people with James Bond and Monster movie interests, nobody was even a tad bit maniacal at all, just a bunch of friends and close acquaintances. They all felt empowered by the Boss' sacrifice and her struggle andset out to do what they believed in their heart of hearts to be the right thing.

And through that they brought about an age of tyranny and a suppression of liberty the likes of which can only be described as evil. But in the end, they were just people with good intentions, all friends in one way or another. Losing their own humanity in their quest for "the end". I'm glad they all died fitting insignificant deaths, despite their previous larger than life stature (sans Ocelot ofcourse, but then again, dieing in a fist fight seems pretty like a pretty anticlimactic way to go).

Meier

Ephemeris said:
My Boss Extreme Run is over at last. :D Final Time: 3hours and 23 minutes. lol I couldn't resist watching the
big boss
cutscenes. What can I say, he's my fave.

That shit is amazing. Congrats man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom