• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about the Power Station in Act 2.

In the official guide it mentions that you can use Mk II to disable it by using the control panel. I have tried numerous times to do this, but it doesn't seem to work. I have gone up to what I think the control panel is, and the TRIANGLE option has displayed on screen, but Mk II just taps the wall, he doesn't electricute the panel (like he does in Act 4 for example).

Any pointers/help please?

(I am on my 3rd run through now btw, just wanted to try this method this time!)

atomico

Ephemeris said:

impressive, dude, congrats

I just started my TBE run. Advent Palace took a lot longer than it should (checkpoint @ about 43 minutes). The Rats decided to freeze up for a few minutes, because of a stray frog near the kitchen

will redo tonight

I let my PS3less bestfriend play through the whole game in two major sittings during the weekend and watching him react to all the twists and turns in the story was awesome. I seriously relived the excitement all over again after watching him play through the whole game.

Most memorable parts were
The Liquid dual machine gun hand scene in the volta river and the return of Big Boss.
Both scenes had him screaming and tearing up at how awesome the experience was. He didn't get a lot out of the gameplay as he was playing in a time limit and basically rushed through the game with me giving him directions. He was also playing on Liquid Easy.

He still loved the game so much that he told me that he's gonna get MGS4 even though he doesn't have the PS3, and he now plans on purchasing those two $200 Snake and Raiden figurines from medicom.

Ephemeris

Thanks for the compliments. There were times where I was seemingly the luckiest guy on the battlefield. One time I ran into a corner just as some soldiers were passing me by; no crouching, no camo on (altair outfit) and the PMC guys just ran past me like I wasn't there. Act 1 was chalked full of those moments. Act 3 took me the longest. I had more trouble
with the resistance member
than the chase scene. WHO STOPS TO TIE THEIR LACES
DURING A HELICOPTER SEARCH??

Stocking up on Chaff grenades helped me to run (and roll!) through Act 4. Act 5 was .. really quick. Up until Ocelot, I'd say it was near-flawless [for me at least; I always messed up on that part during my first two play-throughs].

1stStrike

Banned
It took me a bit longer than most to get through my TBE run (4:33) but I did things a bit differently too. Maybe not always the most efficient way but I still got through em. I actually struggled with vamp cause all I had was the 5 stun grenades that you can pick up in that area for the 40 mm grenade launcher. Miss with even one and he's that much harder to put down (I didn't have the solar gun yet).

And yea, I was definitely more aggressive with the bosses for that. Instead of slowly stalking wolf I was pretty much chasing her. Same with mantis.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so i bought Kitamura's SkyHigh and Godzilla: Final Wars DVDs just to that i can see more of Raging Raven's (Yumi Kikuchi ) hot body and all i saw was 2sec of naked leg on SkyHigh :C , I am completely and hopelessly obsessed with her ...

Ephemeris

1stStrike said:
It took me a bit longer than most to get through my TBE run (4:33) but I did things a bit differently too. Maybe not always the most efficient way but I still got through em. I actually struggled with vamp cause all I had was the 5 stun grenades that you can pick up in that area for the 40 mm grenade launcher. Miss with even one and he's that much harder to put down (I didn't have the solar gun yet).

And yea, I was definitely more aggressive with the bosses for that. Instead of slowly stalking wolf I was pretty much chasing her. Same with mantis.

Ah I see. The Solar gun felt almost unfair. :lol

Almost.

And I couldn't chase after wolf. Ninja Frog b*tches surrounded me. Besides, it doesn't matter what time you got; the fact is you got through it :D

1stStrike

Banned
I tranq'd them all with the mossin nagant. I just stood at the front and picked off the first 8, ran down the right side, blasted her in the face with a lvl 3 rail gun, ran to the left side and tranq'd 3 more frogs, blasted her again, picked up the ammo for the mossin and then finished her off.

And yea, I think I would've probably shaved off a decent amount of time if I had the solar gun on my TBE run. However, like you said, I still got through it..and if anything I take more pride in getting through it without having the solar gun cause I was much more limited without it.

Seriously, how ON EARTH are you guys finishing the game so quickly? It's like you're running through areas, but how do you do that without alerts?! Insane!

Guy Legend

Are most people assuming the trophy support will be coming in the not too far future? I just bought the game, but haven't started it yet. I don't have to play right now as I'm in the middle of playing a couple of other games for the first time (God of War 2 and Gears of War - PC). If it isn't too long, I can wait to start MGS4...

Steroyd

KennyLinder said:
Seriously, how ON EARTH are you guys finishing the game so quickly? It's like you're running through areas, but how do you do that without alerts?! Insane!

By running through areas when their backs are turned. :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Guy Legend said:
Are most people assuming the trophy support will be coming in the not too far future? I just bought the game, but haven't started it yet. I don't have to play right now as I'm in the middle of playing a couple of other games for the first time (God of War 2 and Gears of War - PC). If it isn't too long, I can wait to start MGS4...

Who knows. Kojima and staff basically disappeared after game release. They are probably on vacation right now, spending all our moneys :D

Fifty

Do weapons in your inventory carry over after you've beat the game? I ask because I'm on act 5 now, and knowing drebin points carry over I'm not sure if I should save my points for round 2 or spend them now on some gear.

1stStrike

Banned
KennyLinder said:

Tranqs, octocamo and knowing where to go. You can easily get through the game in well under 5 hours for the big boss emblem. My 4 hours 33 minutes is actually slow compared to others.

Darkpen

Banned
1stStrike said:
I'm still waiting for a gif of Yumi Kikuchi. I'm really surprised there's not one yet with the huge drool fest going on.
As Markman said, I now truly believe that Yumi Kikuchi did in fact do the mocap for Mei Ling :lol

Darkpen

Banned
1stStrike said:
Tranqs, octocamo and knowing where to go. You can easily get through the game in well under 5 hours for the big boss emblem. My 4 hours 33 minutes is actually slow compared to others.
With the way I played through, I ended up spending more time because I was so conscious about "wasting" tranq ammo. At the beginning of Act 5, I had more than necessary.

1stStrike

Banned
Darkpen said:
With the way I played through, I ended up spending more time because I was so conscious about "wasting" tranq ammo. At the beginning of Act 5, I had more than necessary.

I knew where to get tranq ammo in the game and would swap out weapons as necessary when ammo got low until I got to a spot where I could refill. Besides, if you don't use the ammo you'll get to a spot with an ammo pick up and waste a bunch of those rounds cause you don't even have space for them all.

Ephemeris

Darkpen said:

Ditto. Found tranq ammo all over the place. During the Wolf battle I used my tranq-pistol with the Rage bullets. Oh yeah, I did that alot during the first couple acts (with laughter). Nothing beats making the PMC's kill each other :lol

Dave1988

1stStrike said:

I'm honestly ashemed I didn't make the run under 4 hours.

KUFI

Banned
Just bought one copy. Damn, I waited so long for this moment.

f_KUFIMGS4m_85f270e.jpg

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Inbetween the E3 madness, I finally finished the game. I dunno what to say. I'm sad, I want more.

Good to see everything turned out the way it did for Jack. I told you guys he'd be the best character! I still think the whole AI thing is stupid. But I don't really understand it 100%. Also, in the first credits, you see "Voice of God" - Hideo Kojima. Did I miss something?

Gonna start Extreme now, probably going to play this game for a long time. Any surprises I can expect in the second playthrough? I'm going to skip all the movie and Codec parts, so hope nothing in there is new.

_RT_

Just picked this up last night.
WTF.

Only got to play for about 20 minutes as I got home late.... but man. The beginning was OUT THERE.

Teetris said:
Inbetween the E3 madness, I finally finished the game. I dunno what to say. I'm sad, I want more.

Good to see everything turned out the way it did for Jack. I told you guys he'd be the best character! I still think the whole AI thing is stupid. But I don't really understand it 100%. Also, in the first credits, you see "Voice of God" - Hideo Kojima. Did I miss something?

Gonna start Extreme now, probably going to play this game for a long time. Any surprises I can expect in the second playthrough? I'm going to skip all the movie and Codec parts, so hope nothing in there is new.

He's the voice that calls Psycho Mantis away when he disappears

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Kadey said:
Okay to get Roy's facepaint you gotta ram him? Where and how?

1st briefing. Exit the game and select it from the appropriate menu.
You dont get to see the 1st briefing otherwise. Doesn't come up during the game. You have to specifically select it in the above mentioned menu.

Kauza

I know the time for gut reactions has largely ended here and the time for lengthy plot hole discussions has begun, I just finished up Sunday night and have taken a few days to digest everything. Here are my thoughts.

I was utterly blown away as the credits rolled. I can easily say it was the most emotional gaming experience I have ever had--even more than I expected. A lot of little things aided in the buildup to the finale, including:
The many shots at Snake's age beginning early in the game. Even Otacon seemed to make fun of Snake for being old and outdated at times, and it really made you feel for the guy. It was very subtle and very well done. The walk through the microwave tunnel was a pretty difficult moment, but I think the fact that it didn't really have any lasting effects made it less potent than it should have been. I thought the thing was supposed to turn people into mush? Anyway, the part where I really started to lose it was the Big Snake/Liquid fistfight. It was just so brutal yet intimate. When they really began to get tired, fell to their knees with their heads resting against one another...it was the perfect way for them to finally end their story together. Then, with the actual wedding ending, the moment in which Otacon said "Snake's had a hard life" really made me start to choke up. It was the perfect thing to say. Incredibly simple, yet perfectly fitting. It makes you realize that, in essence, the guy's life was nothing more than being used and abused by nearly everyone around him. He was always deceived in some way, and it always led to him being hurt physically and emotionally. He certainly had a hard life, and I was there with him for all of it. Just a very strong moment.

Then, the final credits. Jesus. The final credits. I had totally lost it at this point. Not only is "Here's to You" a ridiculously beautiful and emotional song, the lyrics are incredibly fitting despite not being changed from their original lyrics. "Here's to you, rest forever here in our hearts" is simply the perfect way to say goodbye to Snake. He finally gets to rest, and I know I'm never going to forget the experience. I don't know if I can say that about any other video game. There are amazing games, and then there are unforgettable games. This definitely falls into the latter category. The last and final moment is truly yours, Snake.

With all of that spoilerific mental masturbation out of the way, I can't say I disagree with a lot of what has been said about the plot itself. I didn't have problems understanding what was going on, but after a few days, the logistics of some minor points don't make perfect sense. I'm willing to overlook it in favor of enjoying the overall experience, but I do wish certain things were explained more exhaustively.

Nonetheless, this is a video game experience that transcends what most games offer. It's a resounding success on so many levels. The fact that it doesn't fully succeed in some levels is something that I cannot fault it for. The fact that I cannot think of a past (or future, which is a worrying thought) gaming experience that made me feel this way or has the potential to make me feel this way makes it easy to say that this is my favorite gaming experience.

Now what the hell do I have to look forward to in terms of this type of experience?

SamuraiX-

_RT_ said:
Just picked this up last night.
WTF.

Only got to play for about 20 minutes as I got home late.... but man. The beginning was OUT THERE.

The beginning was "out there?" Dear lord, by the end of the game you'll probably drop the controller, go outside, and sit there while examining your views on life more closely. :lol

jacket320

Kauza said:
Now what the hell do I have to look forward to in terms of this type of experience?

Just finished the game on Sunday as well and this is my first trip into this thread. Simply put, I loved it. Thanks Kojima!!!

Igo

This game is nonsense. It keeps telling me i've killed 6 people at the end of act 2 when I don't recall anything of the sort. I keep intermittent saves and completed it twice from the moment you get in the atv to the end of the act without shooting anyone with the machine gun. I only used tranq's and the tranq smoke mines until that point too so i'm mightly confused.
I did disable 2 of the gekko's with the rail gun in the market so maybe those count as 3 kils each? Doesn't really make sense though as I had been taking those out in the ATV throughout that entire sequence. I don't know wtf is going on and I don't feel like playing through the whole act again.

Anyone encountered a similar problem?

drknite

Can't wait to eat some Kobe tubesteak
Igo said:
This game is nonsense. It keeps telling me i've killed 6 people at the end of act 2 when I don't recall anything of the sort. I keep intermittent saves and completed it twice from the moment you get in the atv to the end of the act without shooting anyone with the machine gun. I only used tranq's and the tranq smoke mines until that point too so i'm mightly confused.
I did disable 2 of the gekko's with the rail gun in the market so maybe those count as 3 kils each? Doesn't really make sense though as I had been taking those out in the ATV throughout that entire sequence. I don't know wtf is going on and I don't feel like playing through the whole act again.

The first part when you are on Drebin's tank (Mansion area, trying to go through gate) there are people in power suits. That might be it for you, because it was for me. I thought they were Gekkos.

NeoUltima

Igo said:

Gekko's don't count as kills...At the begining of the
escape sequence atop Drebin's vehicle, are you killing those "powersuit" guys? Those do count as kills.
Also maybe you did acidently kill guys b4 that sequence...A way to find out is to go to the main menu, and view a mission briefing via the save from just before the said sequence. There should be scrolling orange text that gives statistics, including kills. If it says you have six kills, then they are not from the escape sequence.

Aalyx

NeoUltima said:
Gekko's don't count as kills...At the begining of the
escape sequence atop Drebin's vehicle, are you killing those "powersuit" guys? Those do count as kills.
Also maybe you did acidently kill guys b4 that sequence...A way to find out is to go to the main menu, and view a mission briefing via the save from just before the said sequence. There should be scrolling orange text that gives statistics, including kills. If it says you have six kills, then they are not from the escape sequence.
Yup, also
don't blow up the two armoured carriers (One appears when you have to shoot down the gate, the other at the end)
They count as kills as well!

SRG01

A2D said:
Yup, also
don't blow up the two armoured carriers (One appears when you have to shoot down the gate, the other at the end)
They count as kills as well!

No, the one that
appears by the gate doesn't count as a kill. My RPG says so.
:D

Darkpen

Banned
watching the MGS3 cutscenes for the hell of it at the moment, and I had to come here and say that:

if you think about it, "Revolver Ocelot" is a lolcat just waiting to happen. It just happens that no one's managed to get said wildcat inside an enlarged hamster wheel and photographed it, or at least, no one with an internet connection.

Kydd BlaZe

Finally started my second playthrough after taking a loooong break after beating it for the frst time. This game just feels so much better this time around for some reason. I actually don't mind the super long cinematics anymore. Great fucking game.

atomico

stuck on act 3, on my BBE TBE run

Last part of the chase is impossible. I don't take any damage untill the part where you pass through two humvess with gunners. I just can't seem to hit them with either the sawn-off or the mk 22. Can't hide either. So I'll get shot a few times, and lose about 1/3 health

My health drops even further after the part when Eva hits some cars. I'm drawing gunfire and losing health, but I have no idea where from

Anyway, by the time I start fighting the frogs (after two humvess flip), I'll be around 25%. I die shortly afterwards. Wash, rinse, repeat, over a dozen times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom